Found Deceased IN - Abby & Libby - The Delphi Murders - #154 *Richard Allen Arrested*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ll say this again. The worst thing a detective or a task force can do is to release a drawing, sketch, or composite drawing of a suspect to the public. All it does is create chaos and unnecessary work that could be best used somewhere else. Way too many people think It’s a photograph and it only hurts the case when the defense attorney starts waving the sketch in front of the jury and he asks me, the lead investigator, “does he look like Mr. Jones”. Most of these sketches are generated by police chiefs and politicians who want the public to believe that “something“ is being done.
BINGO!
It's so gross how they actually weigh public perception against just giving the public actual real details that would be useful in spotting a suspect recognizing odd behavior.
The public respects transparency even if that means you have to admit not having as much info as they'd like you to have.

I don't think that is a legal reason for keeping it sealed, unfortunately.
I know that well.

Let me spin it a different way: unsealing it could taint a jury pool even further and risk a mistrial; unsealing it could expose evidence(s) that should only come up at trial or they could be excluded and every piece of the puzzle is key in a case like this.

I’d agree, if every victim’s family would have the same ability to decide whether records are sealed or not. But my understanding is that victims in Indiana don’t get to make this choice.

Right, and if so, how long? Is the ask just to keep it sealed for a while longer? Until everything comes out at trial?

I hadn’t seen that yet. Any idea who did?

You can see who actually started it from clicking through.

Angela Ganote:

Libby German’s grandma is trying to stop the unsealing of the probable cause document.

She is trying to get at least 30,000 signatures to take into the courtroom on the day of the hearing.

Sharing here if that is something you would like to support. Just click the picture. 

I know that well.

Let me spin it a different way: unsealing it could taint a jury pool even further and risk a mistrial; unsealing it could expose evidence(s) that should only come up at trial or they could be excluded and every piece of the puzzle is key in a case like this.
A probable cause affidavit would be the foundation of the arrest and the subsequent case. There’s nothing in it that would taint anything because the document is already part of the court record that the jury will be exposed to. Information in a probable cause affidavit causing a mistrial is just not something that happens.

LE doesn’t seal a record just to hang onto a big reveal for the trial. While this case is certainly bizarre and disturbing, the elements of it are not abnormal for the criminal court system.

You can see who actually started it from clicking through.

Angela Ganote:

Libby German’s grandma is trying to stop the unsealing of the probable cause document.

She is trying to get at least 30,000 signatures to take into the courtroom on the day of the hearing.

Sharing here if that is something you would like to support. Just click the picture. 
It must be very difficult having descriptions of scenes and evidence. Do they ever redact

It must be very difficult having descriptions of scenes and evidence. Do they ever redact
Not typically. Redactions are usually done based off of a rule (ie, exclusion of addresses, statements from a confidential informant, etc.) versus allowing redactions just because of sensitivities. Otherwise it would be hard to ensure consistency among what’s redacted.

This just keeps getting crazier. I feel like either I am totally missing something or there is a huge other shoe about to drop. Any theories? I have to admit, not feeling very confident with all that is going on. JMO
I think things may actually be quite straightforward but the sealing of the records has created a lot of conjecture because we don’t know what else to think. MOO.

I hope the paperwork remains sealed to help insure a conviction. Unsealing those papers would, imo, create quite a carnival. Think about what has happened in the media, news and social, when any scrap of information is released. WS tries to stop the craziness from happening here, thankfully. But, ya'll know other sites take the info and run it to every rabbit hole out there. Can you imagine what would happen if those papers are unsealed. Me thinks a certain kind of storm. Just my opinion.

Can we look at the bigger picture here?

The only way - IMO - that a judge sealed this warrant is that there’s an ongoing investigation into other persons. If it were just RA, their guy’s locked up they can say what they want.

OTHER PERSONS; again not KAK as he’s locked up so they can investigate all they want, he’s going nowhere.

This reminds me of a place we went on one of the wayyy back threads about a possible wider conspiracy involving other crimes and other perps?

Again I ask: what ongoing investigation - besides RA and KAK who are already under lock and key - would inspire a judge to break precedent and seal something that should usually be public? What could be said that might hurt due process/other possible arrests or investigations when your main perp is already charged (and thus reached the evidential threshold) and ain’t going anywhere…?

Can we look at the bigger picture here?

The only way - IMO - that a judge sealed this warrant is that there’s an ongoing investigation into other persons. If it were just RA, their guy’s locked up they can say what they want.

OTHER PERSONS; again not KAK as he’s locked up so they can investigate all they want, he’s going nowhere.

This reminds me of a place we went on one of the wayyy back threads about a possible wider conspiracy involving other crimes and other perps?

Again I ask: what ongoing investigation - besides RA and KAK who are already under lock and key - would inspire a judge to break precedent and seal something that should usually be public? What could be said that might hurt due process/other possible arrests or investigations?
Just my take but the judge didn’t/doesn’t have to justify the sealing until it goes to a hearing. My thought is that it was just done to kick the can down the road and postpone the inevitable. MOO of course and I’m fully prepared to be proven wrong at a later time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBMonsterFighter