Found Deceased IN - Abby & Libby - The Delphi Murders - Richard Allen Arrested - #156

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed, the features are not even close. You could imagine a situation where two different people describe the same person differently so the sketches look off but here it’s clearly two different people. Immutable characteristics: age, face shape, hair texture. It’s so weird and I don’t think we’ll ever get the truth.
It IS weird. And for DC to say today on that podcast that it wasn’t a mistake but strategy…..WTAF? He must think we are all stupid with short-term memory loss and no access to the internet.

I don't mean to second guess LE that obviously knows way more than I do, but from a general public perspective I wish a bit more information could have been given. It seems a waste to give a very dramatic, very effective PC with finally more video released and more audio and all the talk about living or working in Delphi and hiding in plain sight... and maybe even being in the room! No doubt locals were back to staring at every male, trying to hear the voice, and now wanting to see a walk. Except what popped out was a frat boy with shampoo ad quality hair.

It also wasn't said to use the sketches together. They didn't put the two sketches up next to each other and at that crucial moment of renewed interest OBG felt done. It was just YBG and the age range went to 18. I bet the tip line got so many useless tips.

Maybe I will understand on Nov 22, but right now I really don't!
I think there's a lot about the case that we will never understand. MOO

I can see the Defense attorney eating the Prosecution's lunch on these sketches. I'm concerned about the jury and 'reasonable doubt'.

I've served on a death penalty trial for a triple murder and the sketch of the alledged murderer was the main focus in the deliberation room.
Really? Sounds like probable cause was weak in that case. A murder trial that hinges on a sketch of any kind seems very odd to me. After all, sketches are extremely fallible representations made from observations & recollections of lay observers.

Now if the video Libby took was better & was found to raise reasonable doubt in some minds, I could find that somewhat reasonable.

Jurors might not even be following the judge's instructions properly if a sketch makes that much difference. Time for a mistrial to be called if evidence is that weak.

MOO (obviously I was not there)

eye sockets and nose are spot on
In my profession I work with photo editing software every day, all day long. Even if I tweak here and there, remove the hat, add a goatee, etc., I cannot make RA's facial features line up with the younger sketch. And I've tried, believe me, hoping to see what others see. Part of it I believe is that the sketch is of a man no older than late 20's where RA (at the time of the murders) was mid 40's. Time and gravity are no one's friend, and they both show in these side by sides. I also realize that another professional editor might be able to tweak it to fit, but, I'm unable to do that.

jmo

I cant stop looking at this side by side comparison. I just can't.
IMO the sketches are irrelevant but I understand why many are concerned about this. If they had hard evidence to eventually acquire the search warrant and subsequently arrest RA on that search and what evidence it led them to then that is beneficial for the prosecution. Hoping we learn something more 11/22 at no risk to the Prosecution’s case.
I am a huge supporter of LE and I am ashamed to say previously that I thought all these guys had dropped the ball. I previously wanted a spokesperson who didn’t fail in grammar and other ways and I believe the DA in this case is that person and will ultimately receive justice for both Libby and Abby. It will be interesting to see how this story eventually unfolds regardless of when.

I’m not worried about the sketches. There is no reason to think either of the sketches depict BG/RA. I think it’s just as likely that the sketches are of other people all together and not the killer. This explains why the sketches look nothing alike and look nothing like RA. I don’t think this will hurt the prosecution.

<modsnip>
"Forensic sketch artists work with police to interview victims or witnesses of crimes in order to recreate a semi-realistic drawing that reflects the image of the perpetrator to the best of the witness’s memory. Forensic sketch artists should be able to create these drawings from only a description, and must be able to extrapolate from what is given.

The difficulty in the art of forensic sketching is that much of it relies on the witness. The artist must be able to relate with this person, who may be distraught at what they have witnessed, and find a way to interview them and interpret their descriptions. In addition,
witness testimony is notoriously unreliable, as memory in a stressful situation is not very accurate. Witnesses may believe they saw things that they did not, or some similar situation, which can lead to sketches that do not accurately reflect the perpetrator."

^^^
My emphasis added. It is what is it and it wasn't as bad as Bundy's. RA's sketches remind me of Berkowitz's. In a weird, warped kind of way, maybe you can kinda see it...Especially if you put yourself in the mind of the witness doing this high-stakes, high-pressure job for the police and the victims, so it is what it is...

Last edited by a moderator:
Really? Sounds like probable cause was weak in that case. A murder trial that hinges on a sketch of any kind seems very odd to me. After all, sketches are extremely fallible representations made from observations & recollections of lay observers.

Now if the video Libby took was better & was found to raise reasonable doubt in some minds, I could find that somewhat reasonable.

Jurors might not even be following the judge's instructions properly if a sketch makes that much difference. Time for a mistrial to be called if evidence is that weak.

MOO (obviously I was not there)
This is a Robert Ives interview from about 2 years ago.

At about 12:30 into it, Ives talks about evidence and trials. While something might be deemed important to the prosecutor and LE, the jurors might focus on something else they didn't expect.

If RA was local, and the conservation officer was local, I wonder if the conservation officer took RA's statement and then put a conclusion into the report that it was not a concern? Made to appear less threatening by familiarity? (My own questions and thoughts.)
I’m worried about this too. Actually I’m worried that the CO may also have been a personal acquaintance or friend of RA’s. Which may have entirely skewed the context of the report.

jmo

"Forensic sketch artists work with police to interview victims or witnesses of crimes in order to recreate a semi-realistic drawing that reflects the image of the perpetrator to the best of the witness’s memory. Forensic sketch artists should be able to create these drawings from only a description, and must be able to extrapolate from what is given.

The difficulty in the art of forensic sketching is that much of it relies on the witness. The artist must be able to relate with this person, who may be distraught at what they have witnessed, and find a way to interview them and interpret their descriptions. In addition,
witness testimony is notoriously unreliable, as memory in a stressful situation is not very accurate. Witnesses may believe they saw things that they did not, or some similar situation, which can lead to sketches that do not accurately reflect the perpetrator." -https://www.crimemuseum.org/crime-library/forensic-investigation/forensic-sketch-artist/#%23

^^^
My emphasis added. It is what is it and it wasn't as bad as Bundy's. RA's sketches remind me of Berkowitz's. In a weird, warped kind of way, maybe you can kinda see it...Especially if you put yourself in the mind of the witness doing this high-stakes, high-pressure job for the police and the victims, so it is what it is...
My issue with the sketches isn’t so much their actual likeness to RA or whomever. It is LE contradicting and ambiguously “updating”….Why not just say the sketches are crap and we are moving on from them?

“This is the guy- no wait- ignore that one- forget about it. We have this new one. Yeah. This is the guy. Oh. Well, it’s kinda both a them guys. Just squint.”

Feeling not super confident about DC rn.

<modsnip - quoted post removed>
This BG case is such a unique one. We had the video so the look of the killer became forefront. We had a PC where the new sketch was a grand reveal so it became really important compared to other cases. It was the face of the case! The feature of missing page. Also the new sketch had a totally different age than the old sketch. But then the arrested man looks like the first sketch in age...it really does lead to more interest in the sketches then normal! Now that RA is arrested sketches are less important, but combined with the "forgotten" statement of the conservation officer and "unintentional mistakes" with the A shots profile...it really does lead one to wonder what happened behind the scenes! I blurted out a lot tonight stream of thought style, but I don't want to be critical of LE and I think Carter really dedicated himself to this case.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a Robert Ives interview from about 2 years ago.

At about 12:30 into it, Ives talks about evidence and trials. While something might be deemed important to the prosecutor and LE, the jurors might focus on something else they didn't expect.
I think that unless the PCA reveals something super concrete, RA’s defense team is going to destroy the prosecution. And I think RA really is the guy, FWIW.

This BG case is such a unique one. We had the audio and video so the look of the killer became forefront. We had a PC where the new sketch was a grand reveal so it became really important compared to other cases. It was the face of the case! The feature of missing page. Also the new sketch had a totally different age than the old sketch. But then the arrested man looks like the first sketch in age...it really does lead to more interest in the sketches then normal! Now that RA is arrested sketches are less important, but combined with the "forgotten" statement of the conservation officer and "unintentional mistakes" with the A shots profile...it really does lead one to wonder what happened behind the scenes! I blurted out a lot tonight stream of thought style, but I don't want to be critical of LE and I think Carter really dedicated himself to this case.
I agree with you mostly. I do think DC dedicated himself to the case. I just think there were way too many mistakes made for this investigation to be taken seriously under the scrutiny of a murder trial. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EveryWednesday