Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

They are dealing w/ the leak today.

Noticing from the above link:
- affidavit under seal from RA (likely affidavit to keep his lawyer)
- appearance by Baldwin w/ HIS attorney. (this is all about the leak)
- a brief summary of what looks like a Baldwin explanatory statement on the matter - has been submitted. go read the bullet points

Last edited:
This is where it gets interesting. We don't know RA's full background yet - this is one hell of a first crime to pull off in broad daylight with the 'elaboration' at the crime scene etc.

You have to wonder if it is RA who is proven to be the sole perp, what else do we not know about him as most profilers of these types of horrific crimes typically talk about a progression and a building up to something this risky and complex?

I think it was just the perfect storm for him sadly.

He always wanted to SA/kill a girl. He came on the trail made and ready to do it.

Two teenage girls stopped at the end of a bridge that nobody else could witness. He kidnapped then and then marched them quickly eventually ending up across the creek.

He spent WAY TOO MUCH TIME there for it to have been random or even my initial thought of him teaching them a lesson. This was SA without possibly having any sex with either of them.

I think he planned out the location well (that is a very out of the way spot to commit the crime) but I don't think he is otherwise very intelligent. Voluntarily coming forward and placing himself there close to the time.

@Niner
10/19/2023Affidavit Filed
Affidavit
Filed By: Allen, Richard M.
File Date: 10/18/2023
10/19/2023Temporary/Limited Scope Appearance Filed
Limited Appearance Form
For Party: Allen, Richard M.
File Stamp: 10/19/2023
10/19/2023Memorandum/Brief Filed
MEMORANDUM REGARDING POSSIBLE DISQUALIFICATION OR SANCTIONS

“In Thursday’s filing, Allen argues he has “developed a strong and trusting bond with Mr. Baldwin,” and that removing Baldwin from the case would “greatly prejudice his right to counsel and a timely trial.”

Allen also argues Baldwin trusted a friend to respect his office space, and that Baldwin “did nothing wrong. He was snookered and abused.”

@Niner
10/19/2023Affidavit Filed
Affidavit
File Date: 10/18/2023
10/19/2023Temporary/Limited Scope Appearance Filed
Limited Appearance Form
For Party: Allen, Richard M.
10/19/2023Memorandum/Brief Filed
MEMORANDUM REGARDING POSSIBLE DISQUALIFICATION OR SANCTIONS
Memorandum filed today

“In Thursday’s filing, Allen argues he has “developed a strong and trusting bond with Mr. Baldwin,” and that removing Baldwin from the case would “greatly prejudice his right to counsel and a timely trial.”

Allen also argues Baldwin trusted a friend to respect his office space, and that Baldwin “did nothing wrong. He was snookered and abused.”
It has the feel, to me, like this "trusted friend" at some point was alone with Baldwin's unsecured file/computer and looked through it, taking photos with his phone, or something like that. This, rather than Baldwin knowingly sharing the photos. IDK...I guess we'll see!

It'll be good if the Court can deal w/ the LEAK today and move past it.

I feel so very curious about the Baldwin-former-associate's former employment role and the reason for their conviction that stuff on this case needs to be leaked. Have only seen bullets, not full papers but:

This former "associate" ... has likely spoken to LE.
Curious:
Where's LE on this mini-investigation? Done?
Baldwin comes out strongly against that leaker, saying he was bamboozled by the leaker ...
So, I'm curious if this Leaker, in front of LE, took full responsibility and admitted they bamboozled Baldwin.
Otherwise, how could Baldwin assert this in court today?
Mentions the suicide - which is relevant, how?

Also Curious:
What the fact evidence - is so compelling that the Leaker (not unfamiliar with criminal law) felt it important to Leak in support of RA's innocence?

MOO

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — Richard Allen, the man facing charges in the Delphi double murder, wants a judge to allow him to keep his current attorneys despite a leak of evidence in the case.

Allen made the request in a court filing Thursday morning ahead of a scheduled 2pm court hearing.

As I-Team 8 reported earlier this week, Indiana State Police are investigating a leak of evidenceand documents in the case, including gruesome crime scene photographs.

In Thursday’s filing, Allen argues he has “developed a strong and trusting bond with Mr. Baldwin,” and that removing Baldwin from the case would “greatly prejudice his right to counsel and a timely trial.”

The filing also states one of the persons who spread the documents and photos committed suicide after the police investigation began

regardless of the outcome this incident greatly harms the reputation of RA’s defence team.
Totally agree.

And regardless of whether you agree with the 136p of drama that D produced (there are some good pages within IMO!), this leak has materially damaged their own credibility to pursue the motion therefrom. They are attempting to prove in a hearing that P & LE willfully lied to get the SW signed by J Diener (risky move IMO) when the P can look back at them and say 'but who are you to criticise, you wilfully leaked protected materials which has jeopardized this case...' etc (not those exact words but you get the gist hopefully).

Regardless of the severity of sanction, the D have really shot themselves in the foot IMO. Not good.

This is where it gets interesting. We don't know RA's full background yet - this is one hell of a first crime to pull off in broad daylight with the 'elaboration' at the crime scene etc.

You have to wonder if it is RA who is proven to be the sole perp, what else do we not know about him as most profilers of these types of horrific crimes typically talk about a progression and a building up to something this risky and complex?
I've always wondered if RA ever lived or spent time in Iowa. Does anyone know?
These murders (Delphi) seem similar to the Elizabeth Collins and Lyric Cook-Morrissey murders. :(

I've always wondered if RA ever lived or spent time in Iowa. Does anyone know?
These murders (Delphi) seem similar to the Elizabeth Collins and Lyric Cook-Morrissey murders. :(
Evidence of his involvement would certainly swing my current point of view somewhat!

The awful crime committed against Abby & Libby in broad daylight just seems all too much for a first foray into sexually motivated crime IMO. Priors would make his potential guilt far more believable (to me at least).

This is the second time this year that information has been leaked from Baldwin’s office.
His argument that he was duped and he had no direct involvement means nothing in my opinion. We’re not talking about some small thing like forgetting to put the dishes in the dishwasher. This is super serious.
Baldwin is supremely responsible for everything that happens in his office and securing sensitive trial discovery should be priority number one. But it has not been…twice.
To allow anyone not professionally involved in this case to see the discovery is mindboggling and negligent to me. And Baldwin not only let the leaker see it but obviously allowed this person access to it without any supervision.
So what that the leaker was a friend and Baldwin trusted him. Very poor judgement by Baldwin. Poor judgement that has threatened to burn this whole case to the ground.
Judge Gull needs to grab control of this case and start paying closer attention. The defense has been playing fast and loose with not just the evidence but skirting the gag order by filling filed motions with inflammatory language and unsubstantiated scenarios that should be put before a jury at trial instead fed to the public to try and influence them. If the prosecution had behaved this way, today’s hearing would be to dismiss the charges against RA.
Today is the day for the first step in righting this sinking ship. I hope the judge makes the right decisions even if they are difficult.
Libby and Abby probably won’t even be mentioned today, as usual, but they deserve so much better than what they have gotten from pretty much everybody in this case, since the beginning.

1 hr ago
About 20 people in line at courtroom including me. No electronics allowed inside so I stepped out for a moment.

2 hrs ago
I stand corrected. More than 200 people are inside. Not all here for Allen.

2 hrs ago
Outside Allen County Courthouse for #DelphiMurders hearing. It’s raining and so far no line to get in. Doors open at 1pm for 2pm hearing. CourtTV cameras are inside. First time ever for a Delphi hearing.
@MattJohnsonNEWS

Evidence of his involvement would certainly swing my current point of view somewhat!

The awful crime committed against Abby & Libby in broad daylight just seems all too much for a first foray into sexually motivated crime IMO. Priors would make his potential guilt far more believable (to me at least).
I've teetered on it, but I think this could have been his first. He came with weapons yet parked where it would be impossible to get back to without coming out into the open. He committed the crimes despite being seen by people on the trail beforehand. He crossed the bridge and abducted them with no way of knowing if anyone else might enter the bridge at any point along the way. He crossed the creek and the spot they were killed is still partially visible from the bridge and a house. He left via the road.

I just think it seems totally haphazard, rushed, and risky. That's just my perspective of it, though, with no real knowledge. JMO.

What do we think the likelihood is that a small part of this hearing being televised is a test run to see how it might look to allow cameras for the trial?
IMO, this Court has decided to allow cameras for this case, for the duration - as long as things related to cameras works out. This Judge has indicated she is pro-transparency in an Indiana change of rules on the camera in court issue.

This is the second time this year that information has been leaked from Baldwin’s office.
His argument that he was duped and he had no direct involvement means nothing in my opinion. We’re not talking about some small thing like forgetting to put the dishes in the dishwasher. This is super serious.
Baldwin is supremely responsible for everything that happens in his office and securing sensitive trial discovery should be priority number one. But it has not been…twice.
To allow anyone not professionally involved in this case to see the discovery is mindboggling and negligent to me. And Baldwin not only let the leaker see it but obviously allowed this person access to it without any supervision.
So what that the leaker was a friend and Baldwin trusted him. Very poor judgement by Baldwin. Poor judgement that has threatened to burn this whole case to the ground.
Judge Gull needs to grab control of this case and start paying closer attention. The defense has been playing fast and loose with not just the evidence but skirting the gag order by filling filed motions with inflammatory language and unsubstantiated scenarios that should be put before a jury at trial instead fed to the public to try and influence them. If the prosecution had behaved this way, today’s hearing would be to dismiss the charges against RA.
Today is the day for the first step in righting this sinking ship. I hope the judge makes the right decisions even if they are difficult.
Libby and Abby probably won’t even be mentioned today, as usual, but they deserve so much better than what they have gotten from pretty much everybody in this case, since the beginning.
I get a sense that folks looking for the most punitive sanctions might be disappointed. Baldwin has lawyered up (with a decent one too IMO) and RA has submitted a memo ahead of the court hearing.

It would be a massive call by Gull to dismiss Baldwin. I'm not sure that she would want to seek to get the badly needed order and control of the case through this means. I think it will be more along the line of final warning and having that over him should calm things down. Could be very wrong though and it wouldn't shock me if she threw the full weight of the hammer at him (figuratively!) instead.

The stuff about the D memo I assume she is broadly happy with unless she is going to address that in court today. As much as I don't like the language and lack of professionalism (looks like it was written by an argumentative intern lol!), I could debate 'unsubstantiated scenarios' with you on the basis of what the D referenced to underpin these and conversely the things that the P have alleged which could easily be described as unsubstantiated too. I suspect Gull will leave the battle between those two points of view to the actual court trial to play out.

Today isn't about Abby & Libby but hopefully they will get their day soon (and we will learn the truth).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abk018