GUILTY IN - Amanda Blackburn, 28, pregnant, murdered, Indianapolis, 10 Nov 2015 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The sad part is that the people who saw this perp; probably wouldn't have use the app anyways since they didn't call the cops after seeing him nor hearing gun shots.

So the app is only as good as the neighbors that don't mind reporting things. Or the neighbor that easily spot unusual things. So imo. The app wouldn't work with certain neighbors.

Just like in the Teresa Sievers case. A neighbor heard an unrelated shrill scream; But never dialed a simple 911 to alert anyone.

So imo. The app is only effective as a neighbors viligance of reporting everything out of the norm. Similar to simply calling 911. Jmo

I think the NextDoor app does encourage neighbors to call in suspicious activity. At least that has been my experience. One night I was up for the bathroom and heard what sounded like a distant gunshot, but could not be sure, or know where it had come from since it seemed several blocks away. I had trouble going back to sleep so I fired up the old iPad and went to the nextDoor app to find someone had already posted about hearing the gunshot. There were several others also reading at that time and they all encouraged the original poster to call LE. Sometimes it just takes confirmation from another to nudge one to do what's right.

I've been popping in here and there everyday, I try to get caught up so I can join in the conversation, but we've been so busy with the holiday. I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving. This crime has really got to me, I thought of Amanda's family so often, especially these last couple of days, and I just can't imagine what they're going through. I can't believe we live amongst the kind of people who can so easily destroy a life and not even care about how it will effect and change so many lives FOREVER... I just don't understand it...

Anyway, I see that FlyerFan28 has been answering a lot of questions for you, and helping you out. :) ... I just wanted to add my two cents and help you understand the area a little more and explain why I think this robbery was probably chosen because it was on the way to a familiar place, and from what we know of the evidence so far, it makes sense that they were probably on their way to "cheese's" house and selected sunnyfield court because it was just off that route, as bessie, and others, have suggested... If they were solely out looking for a wealthy neighborhood, there are a lot of high dollar areas between the Cottages and sunnyfield court that they could've selected. To understand Indy today, the subarbs are continually growing further and further out from the downtown circle due to crime. The Blackburn's live in the midst of crime, their addition is surrounded by it (generally this is the norm). It's about 20 miles out to the higher property value, low crime areas - a little more or little less depending on which direction you travel from that central area. However, like the area of the Blackburn's addition, we do have pockets of nice neighborhoods/streets scattered throughout Indy, like in the Butler Tarkington area, Broad Ripple, and several blocks with historical homes on Meridian Street, and the Meridian/Kessler area - all of which are in the same general direction (and/or equivalent distance) they traveled to get to the Blackburn's. Sadly, those areas, I described them as pockets, are decreasing in size, with residents leaving for the suburbs because the crime is just too close to home, especially those with young children, leaving in search of better schools and safer communities to raise them in. Indy can literally have one street with nice, beautiful homes and then the surrounding streets are low rent, run down homes filled with gang problems. Homeowners on Meridian have said no more and have formed neighborhood watches, many have turned to surveillance, alarm systems, etc, but burglars use avoidance and figure out ways to disarm them, etc. The City's tried to help with programs that fund building up certain areas, increasing patrol for security checks, etc, but many still feel overwhelmed by crime... Criminals find ways, it doesn't seem to be enough...Remember, these guys knew how to disable surveillance systems, they seemed pretty comfortable and confident, even entering occupied homes...not first-timers here. I'm not sure how much would've deterred this group...Anyway, the point I was trying to make is locals know the areas I just mentioned, so if watson, taylor, and gordon were just getting out of the area and the sole purpose was to go to a wealthier area to get more money I don't think that sunnyfield court would've been on the top of their list... I'm certainly not a burglar, but if I was looking for money that doesn't seem like a likely choice, given the surroundings and better options, imo. I think there was a reason other than that, I think they were probably on their way to see Cheese - the route makes sense if the destination was guion rd, and sunnyfield court isn't far off of 38th St and it's near I-65... What I would love to know is their route, the exact route they drove that morning. There are many, so that would answer a lot. The best route (nothing is really direct) to the Blackburn's (and guion rd), which I posted in an earlier thread, is binford - fall creek parkway - 38th St, this route swings around all the nicer areas I mentioned above, where as, most of the other routes take you right through many of those areas, or very near... One other thing about the routes and I'll stop rambling, as I said earlier, there's no direct route and the streets have heavy traffic, lots of traffic lights, and go through commercial areas, so there should be plenty of surveillance available of them as they drove. I'm sure LE knows what streets they went on, and/or what streets they didn't... The evidence we have so far though leads me to believe that there was some truth to the "cheese" part of taylor's statement, and I usually take what these perps say with a grain of salt...unless evidence supports it. I think it makes sense that they were headed to guion rd, for what and exactly why, idk... There's still a lot we don't know, but I know understanding the area helps so I'll try to offer what I can when possible...

This might already be cleared up, but to avoid confusion, 56th Street does not run across the city, so there's no direct route from E 56th Street (the Cottages) to 56th and guion.

All jmo.

I've been popping in here and there everyday, I try to get caught up so I can join in the conversation, but we've been so busy with the holiday. I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving. This crime has really got to me, I thought of Amanda's family so often, especially these last couple of days, and I just can't imagine what they're going through. I can't believe we live amongst the kind of people who can so easily destroy a life and not even care about how it will effect and change so many lives FOREVER... I just don't understand it...

Always good to get input from those in the know, so the "thanks" button just wasn't enough.

And just an aside, and nothing to do with the post above but, what kind of world are we living in when we need an app to motivate us to do the right thing? I can't be the only one that finds this disturbing.

I think the NextDoor app does encourage neighbors to call in suspicious activity. At least that has been my experience. One night I was up for the bathroom and heard what sounded like a distant gunshot, but could not be sure, or know where it had come from since it seemed several blocks away. I had trouble going back to sleep so I fired up the old iPad and went to the nextDoor app to find someone had already posted about hearing the gunshot. There were several others also reading at that time and they all encouraged the original poster to call LE. Sometimes it just takes confirmation from another to nudge one to do what's right.

I agree. I rec'd an alert yesterday from a neighboring subdivision about a break in (in the middle of the night). Burglar(s) gained access from the small basement window. Everybody else in my group rec'd this as well. Sometimes, it's just stuff about stupid teenage mischief (removing political signs from one yard and placing in another).

Always good to get input from those in the know, so the "thanks" button just wasn't enough.

And just an aside, and nothing to do with the post above but, what kind of world are we living in when we need an app to motivate us to do the right thing? I can't be the only one that finds this disturbing.

I don't think an app motivates one to do the right thing. It helps spread communication. If my house was broken into, I would definitely let my immediate neighbors know. I wouldn't go driving through the surrounding areas. I don't know those people (and don't know how to contact them). By having this app, you are widening your ability to communicate. If you (general you) were a person who didn't like to communicate/inform, then this type of app wouldn't work for you anyways.

Obviously, it's not perfect, but I have found this app to be very useful.

Btw. I truly hate to blame the neighborhood. But come on. If my neighbor and most of their guests fit 1 description. But at 6am ;I'm seeing perps of another description at their front door or just simply walking to or from their home; I would probably have dialed 911 fairly quickly. Jmo.

But I'm sure the neighbors feel bad enough. So I will not rub it in.

But also; I feel the neighborhood watch should have a better protocol and game plan for certain things. Jmo

I'm confused. Did anybody see them at the front door or perimeter of any of these houses? I thought they were just seen walking around the neighborhood. I assumed on the sidewalk (from the video still shot that was released).

I'm torn about this. If I saw somebody who looked suspicious in my neighborhood, I would call the police and let my neighbors know. What is suspicious though? Sure, going up to a house, walking around it, kicking in the door/window....

But I think we live in a post George Zimmerman world. Just because a black kid is wearing a hoodie walking in the dark, shouldn't make him suspicious just for that. Obviously, in Amanda's case, the hoodie wearing black kid was a bad guy and fit the "profile" so often over-used.

And the sound of the gun.....I don't know if I would know that sound. I live in a very quiet subdivision and if I heard a loud gunshot, I would probably think it was a car or something like that. I don't think my first thought would be gunshot.

I'm sure these neighbors do feel horribly. I would too.

Anyway, I see that FlyerFan28 has been answering a lot of questions for you, and helping you out. :) ... I just wanted to add my two cents and help you understand the area a little more and explain why I think this robbery was probably chosen because it was on the way to a familiar place, and from what we know of the evidence so far, it makes sense that they were probably on their way to "cheese's" house and selected sunnyfield court because it was just off that route, as bessie, and others, have suggested... If they were solely out looking for a wealthy neighborhood, there are a lot of high dollar areas between the Cottages and sunnyfield court that they could've selected. To understand Indy today, the subarbs are continually growing further and further out from the downtown circle due to crime. The Blackburn's live in the midst of crime, their addition is surrounded by it (generally this is the norm). It's about 20 miles out to the higher property value, low crime areas - a little more or little less depending on which direction you travel from that central area. However, like the area of the Blackburn's addition, we do have pockets of nice neighborhoods/streets scattered throughout Indy, like in the Butler Tarkington area, Broad Ripple, and several blocks with historical homes on Meridian Street, and the Meridian/Kessler area - all of which are in the same general direction (and/or equivalent distance) they traveled to get to the Blackburn's. Sadly, those areas, I described them as pockets, are decreasing in size, with residents leaving for the suburbs because the crime is just too close to home, especially those with young children, leaving in search of better schools and safer communities to raise them in. Indy can literally have one street with nice, beautiful homes and then the surrounding streets are low rent, run down homes filled with gang problems. Homeowners on Meridian have said no more and have formed neighborhood watches, many have turned to surveillance, alarm systems, etc, but burglars use avoidance and figure out ways to disarm them, etc. The City's tried to help with programs that fund building up certain areas, increasing patrol for security checks, etc, but many still feel overwhelmed by crime... Criminals find ways, it doesn't seem to be enough...Remember, these guys knew how to disable surveillance systems, they seemed pretty comfortable and confident, even entering occupied homes...not first-timers here. I'm not sure how much would've deterred this group...Anyway, the point I was trying to make is locals know the areas I just mentioned, so if watson, taylor, and gordon were just getting out of the area and the sole purpose was to go to a wealthier area to get more money I don't think that sunnyfield court would've been on the top of their list... I'm certainly not a burglar, but if I was looking for money that doesn't seem like a likely choice, given the surroundings and better options, imo. I think there was a reason other than that, I think they were probably on their way to see Cheese - the route makes sense if the destination was guion rd, and sunnyfield court isn't far off of 38th St and it's near I-65... What I would love to know is their route, the exact route they drove that morning. There are many, so that would answer a lot. The best route (nothing is really direct) to the Blackburn's (and guion rd), which I posted in an earlier thread, is binford - fall creek parkway - 38th St, this route swings around all the nicer areas I mentioned above, where as, most of the other routes take you right through many of those areas, or very near... One other thing about the routes and I'll stop rambling, as I said earlier, there's no direct route and the streets have heavy traffic, lots of traffic lights, and go through commercial areas, so there should be plenty of surveillance available of them as they drove. I'm sure LE knows what streets they went on, and/or what streets they didn't... The evidence we have so far though leads me to believe that there was some truth to the "cheese" part of taylor's statement, and I usually take what these perps say with a grain of salt...unless evidence supports it. I think it makes sense that they were headed to guion rd, for what and exactly why, idk... There's still a lot we don't know, but I know understanding the area helps so I'll try to offer what I can when possible...

This might already be cleared up, but to avoid confusion, 56th Street does not run across the city, so there's no direct route from E 56th Street (the Cottages) to 56th and guion.

All jmo.

Thank you for this information. My limited knowledge of Indy is on the Carmel area, Meridian, and the Lucas Oil Field hotel/shopping area. When I first heard of this crime, I was curious why they weren't hitting up the Meridian area if they wanted lots of high priced goods. Driving into Indy via Meridian Street is breathtaking. Especially during the holidays. I thought I read in one of the articles that one of these guys lived in an apartment (or slept at a friend's house) on Meridian? Do you recall reading that? Does Meridian lead into lower priced houses as well? I only recall mansions.

Thanks for the local insight! Indy is a great town - not getting a good reputation with this story though.

I'm confused. Did anybody see them at the front door or perimeter of any of these houses? I thought they were just seen walking around the neighborhood. I assumed on the sidewalk (from the video still shot that was released).

I'm torn about this. If I saw somebody who looked suspicious in my neighborhood, I would call the police and let my neighbors know. What is suspicious though? Sure, going up to a house, walking around it, kicking in the door/window....

But I think we live in a post George Zimmerman world. Just because a black kid is wearing a hoodie walking in the dark, shouldn't make him suspicious just for that. Obviously, in Amanda's case, the hoodie wearing black kid was a bad guy and fit the "profile" so often over-used.

And the sound of the gun.....I don't know if I would know that sound. I live in a very quiet subdivision and if I heard a loud gunshot, I would probably think it was a car or something like that. I don't think my first thought would be gunshot.

not just a gunshot, multiple gunshots, and a scream was noted by same person. I think those two in combination deserves a call to police at minimum.

In regards to these apps, I don't see them as a motivator, but a facilitator. It's a level of connectivity that wasn't possible 10 years ago. Now just about everyone is walking around with a smartphone and it's incredibly easy to communicate something you see and have others instantly made aware. I have

I have this app called varagesale that basically is a never ending block sale where everyone in the neighborhood posts items they want to get rid of. Although it's not about crime prevention, it has created more of a community in our neighborhood. We have communicated with people we likely would have never come into contact with because they are several streets away, but via this app, we are all sharing our junk :) I'll have to check out this nextdoor app, because it sounds like a great tool.

Nov 10
5:23 - 911 call to report burglary on 5700 block of San Clemente. [Although the victim awoke at 4:30 to discover she'd been robbed. In the PC, I believe the official time the victim awoke was changed from 5:30 to 4:30.] Her silver Sebring was stolen.

8:17 - Security was dismantled at 5:36 at home 2830 Sunnyfield Ct by tearing screen to unlock deadbolt two doors down from Blackburn's. Resident arrives home shortly after 8am and calls 911 to report a burglary. The perps took their time while in the home by drinking beer and wine.

7:10 - DB leaves the gym while talking on the phone with a friend.

7:30 - DB arrives home, still on the phone, and continues the ph conversation while sitting in his car in the driveway for 40m. The temperature was 43 degrees with a wind chill of 37.7 degrees.
http://www.wunderground.com/history...reqdb.zip=46201&reqdb.magic=1&reqdb.wmo=99999

8:22 - Davey Blackburn finds his wife has been shot and calls 911. A laptop and ATM cards are found missing.

Davey Blackburn called 911 five minutes after the home two houses down called 911 to their residence.

8:44 - Amanda is carried away by medics to Methodist Hospital where she dies the next day.

Nov 11
10:30 - Police locate the stolen car at Rockwood Avenue.

Police use information gathered via DNA, surveillance of the ATM, as well as, cell ph pings to arrest self-described "The Kill Gang": Diano Gordon (24), Larry Taylor (18) and Jalen Watson (21). Watson and Gordon confessed that Taylor was the shooter.

Then, I studied the various maps that we have available to us.

A high-class neighborhood is about the same distance NW from 5700 San Clemente as it is to Sunnyfield Ct. If this gang of killers wanted more money, why not burglar the high income neighborhoods?

From San Clemete Dr to Geist Reservoir
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Gei...8facf018dd4c90!2m2!1d-86.0518778!2d39.8597261

From San Clemente to Sunnyfield Ct
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/570...2dc5bcfde56c5c!2m2!1d-86.2085136!2d39.8265658

Sources: Bessie's post #6 on the media page Nov 25 @ 6:12, other SMS news sources and maps
Ontario Mom's Post #7 http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...-Indianapolis-4-*ARRE&p=12211920#post12211920

not just a gunshot, multiple gunshots, and a scream was noted by same person. I think those two in combination deserves a call to police at minimum.

I don't think we need to place blame on the neighbors. I use Nextdoor. I may have phoned 911 or would have notified Nextdoor to ask if anyone else heard or saw something. However, blaming the neighbors for NOT calling 911 is just plain wrong. If the person heard gunshots then Amanda was dying. She was dying while Davey sat in his car for 40 minutes, too.

Thank you for this information. My limited knowledge of Indy is on the Carmel area, Meridian, and the Lucas Oil Field hotel/shopping area. When I first heard of this crime, I was curious why they weren't hitting up the Meridian area if they wanted lots of high priced goods. Driving into Indy via Meridian Street is breathtaking. Especially during the holidays. I thought I read in one of the articles that one of these guys lived in an apartment (or slept at a friend's house) on Meridian? Do you recall reading that? Does Meridian lead into lower priced houses as well? I only recall mansions.

Thanks for the local insight! Indy is a great town - not getting a good reputation with this story though.
Taylor was tracked down by a detective to a residence in the 1400 block of South Meridian, according to the affidavit.

Thieves don't always target the upscale neighborhoods. Middle class neighborhoods are more vulnerable, and in general, full of disposable electronics.

I don't think we need to place blame on the neighbors. I use Nextdoor. I may have phoned 911 or would have notified Nextdoor to ask if anyone else heard or saw something. However, blaming the neighbors for NOT calling 911 is just plain wrong. If the person heard gunshots then Amanda was dying. She was dying while Davey sat in his car for 40 minutes, too.

I am not blaming them, although I know the original poster said that and I responded. It's not their fault that these guys did what they did and the deed was already done at that point.

But is it possible that it could have been avoided by people being more suspicious earlier on ? Even just walking out a door and making your presence known can be a factor.

But my main point was, why would it surprise me that someone didn't report suspicious person walking around the block, when gunshots and a scream weren't reported ?

Not looking to shame the neighbors, but I don't doubt they feel bad - I know I would.

She was dying while Davey sat in his car for 40 minutes, too.

To our knowledge Davey had no idea that gunshots and a scream were heard or that suspicious people were in the neighborhood, so there was no reason for him to be suspicious of anything at that point.

I don't know about anyone else, but the sit in the car to make a phone call before going into a store or even home is a common thing I do! But I don't see the correlation between that and hearing gunshots and a scream, and not doing anything.

Maybe people in the neighborhood watch loud movies often ?

Taylor was tracked down by a detective to a residence in the 1400 block of Meridian, according to the affidavit.

Thieves don't always target the upscale neighborhoods. Middle class neighborhoods are more vulnerable, and in general, full of disposable electronics.

1400 meridian , based on google street view is anything but upscale. The street is a long one, and like in most cities, the scenery can change drastically depending on where you are on that street.

7:30 - DB arrives home, still on the phone, and continues the ph conversation while sitting in his car in the driveway for 40m. The temperature was 43 degrees with a wind chill of 37.7 degrees.

Adding the temperature ? Was that the temperature in the car ? Was the car running ?

Again, I believe that many have done this kind of thing often and in far worse and far better weather. When it's cold, I'm sometimes in no hurry to leave the car. I often stay in the car and keep it running or talk until it gets too cold.

Seems plausible, imo

Sadly it is no different than the world was 50+ years ago, in 1964, when a young woman, Kitty Genovese, was attacked and murdered in Queens, NY. At least a dozen people heard her scream, and a few saw glimpses of the attack, but no one called LE until it was too late. It was the first crime that the public heard about folks/witnesses 'not wanting to get involved' . That was most likely an overstatement/exaggeration in the press.
From this Wiki article:https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Kitty_Genovese

Many (potential witnesses) were entirely unaware that an assault or homicide was in progress; some thought that what they saw or heard was a lovers' quarrel, a drunken brawl, or a group of friends leaving the bar when Moseley first approached Genovese.

and...
The apparent lack of reaction by numerous neighbors purported to have watched the scene or to have heard Genovese's cries for help, although erroneously reported, prompted research into diffusion of responsibility and the bystander effect. Social psychologists John Darley and Bibb Latané started this line of research, showing that contrary to common expectations, larger numbers of bystanders decrease the likelihood that someone will step forward and help a victim. The reasons include the fact that onlookers see that others are not helping either, that onlookers believe others will know better how to help, and that onlookers feel uncertain about helping while others are watching.

I can imagine a scenario where I would doubt myself about what I had seen or heard. I have questioned myself in a similar situation when I heard yelling and banging/crashing items at a residence cross the street. I think my sensibilities are heightened by my presence here on this board so I easily overcame the momentary second guessing and called LE immediately. It turned out to not be a crime in progress, but I would not hesitate to call again. I just think members here are not average witnesses. We all know the depths of human depravity by reading here, so I believe any one of us would respond quickly.

A high-class neighborhood is about the same distance NW from 5700 San Clemente as it is to Sunnyfield Ct. If this gang of killers wanted more money, why not burglar the high income neighborhoods?
<rsbm>

I don't know, DeDee. I go back to my idea in Post 1022 of Thread #3. IMO, they acted on impulse without much planning or forethought. We also know that they're considered suspects in other crimes which didn't occur in upscale neighborhoods. So the addition was as good a place as any, and happened to be nearby at that particular point in time. JMO

CI stated that after the first burglary they wanted more money.

Taylor stated that he "possibly" rode in a silver car to go see Cheese around 56th and Guion Rd.
Taylor states that he "possibly" stopped off at Sunnyfield Ct.

Taylor only remembers (<--don't believe this for a second) being dropped off around Cheese's place.

CI stated that when they left the addition after the crimes, they dropped off Taylor at 56th and Guion Rd.

Connect the dots and it makes sense that they left San Clemente headed toward 56th and Guion to drop off Taylor.

Along the way, they decided that they "wanted more money", and discussed hitting another house. So where do they end up? In the vicinity of their intended destination, or a mere three miles away. JMO

Heidisam's post corroborates the likely route they would have traveled to drop off Taylor would have taken them past the addition.
I just wanted to add my two cents and help you understand the area a little more and explain why I think this robbery was probably chosen because it was on the way to a familiar place, and from what we know of the evidence so far, it makes sense that they were probably on their way to "cheese's" house and selected sunnyfield court because it was just off that route

I think they were probably on their way to see Cheese - the route makes sense if the destination was guion rd, and sunnyfield court isn't far off of 38th St and it's near I-65... What I would love to know is their route, the exact route they drove that morning. There are many, so that would answer a lot. The best route (nothing is really direct) to the Blackburn's (and guion rd), which I posted in an earlier thread, is binford - fall creek parkway - 38th St, this route swings around all the nicer areas I mentioned above, where as, most of the other routes take you right through many of those areas, or very near...

kVK1VKX.jpg

7:10 - DB leaves the gym while talking on the phone with a friend.

8:22 - Davey Blackburn finds his wife has been shot and calls 911. A laptop and ATM cards are found missing.

This is the first I am seeing that DB was on the phone from 7:10 am when he left the gym, until 40 minutes AFTER arriving home at 7:30, where he continued his conversation while sitting in his driveway. That is 1 hour and 12 minutes on his phone. That is just another heartbreaking detail in this tragedy. I too have sat in my car finishing a phone call, but never for that long, and never did I learn that a loved one was actually dying inside while I chatted on the phone delaying me from entering my house. I would have a very difficult time getting past the "what if" playing in my head as I tried to come to terms with the violent death of my loved one. DB seems incredibly strong and stable in his faith to be able to face and accept these circumstances. Of course I have no knowledge of his day to day, minute to minute current state of mind, which could be extremely fragile for all I know. I am only going by his public statements, and how I imagine I would react. There but for the grace of God go I.

According to the affidavit, only one couple spotted Taylor before he entered AB's house. The other neighbor sightings occurred afterward.

6:25 - Burglary No. 3 at 2812 SuCo (time approximate based on phone records)

When detectives canvassed neighborhood, Det. Perkins spoke with Neighbor A, who reported that he and his wife saw a suspicious person dressed all in black with hoodie pulled over his face, near their trash in front of their home on SuCo. Subject walked toward 2812 SoCo.

The video image was captured after the crime when Taylor was walking toward the area where Watson picked him up.

7:10-7:11 - As reported to Capt. Converse and Det. Kepler, Neighbor D was leaving home on Sunmeadow Way when he noticed black male in hoody (Taylor) walking east on Sunmeadow Way. The hood was pulled tight, and one hand was to his ear. Neighbor returned to his home. A "like white Chrylser Sebring" traveling east drove up and stopped. Subject entered front seat. Vehicle turned in a driveway and drove west from Summerfield. Neighbor D provided home video which captured what he described.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nat Dru
Back