GUILTY IN - April Tinsley, 8, Fort Wayne, 1 April 1988 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I have to say I don't get this. He confessed and the DNA matched so what difference will competency make?

His attorneys will probably try to get the confession thrown out so being declared incompetent also bolsters their case to do so.

Yeah, but it seems pointless. If he is declared incompetent - will he then not stand trial? Is that what would happen?

While it would be possible to throw out his confession due to some type of diminished mental capacity (although I highly doubt it will happen, the last 3 decades prove he's capable of living on his own, keeping a job, etc., knowing the difference between right and wrong so...) it'll be impossible to throw out the matching DNA.

Yeah, but it seems pointless. If he is declared incompetent - will he then not stand trial? Is that what would happen?
Most likely but I don’t see them declaring him incompetent. It’s a stalling tactic for now. I’m sure they will use any means available to have that confession thrown out but like someone said below, there is DNA so ... :cool:

Most likely but I don’t see them declaring him incompetent. It’s a stalling tactic for now. I’m sure they will use any means available to have that confession thrown out but like someone said below, there is DNA so ... :cool:

Was the DNA found at the crime scene a match with the later planted condoms?

Your questions are always thought provoking. I had forgotten about the condoms. I assumed they had DNA at the crime scene but maybe they didn’t. I haven’t read anything about actual DNA on her just that they linked him to the condoms. I hope they have DNA from the crime scene or they will definitely need that confession to stay in.

Your questions are always thought provoking. I had forgotten about the condoms. I assumed they had DNA at the crime scene but maybe they didn’t. I haven’t read anything about actual DNA on her just that they linked him to the condoms. I hope they have DNA from the crime scene or they will definitely need that confession to stay in.

Thanks Suglo. I started back at the beginning of this thread and found a post that stated the condom DNA did match the body DNA so I'll bump it.

Its the same guy , he left things in 04 to make sure the police new it was him, he loves taunting the police, and im sure he made sure, the police had no doubt about it, that it was him......in the various articles from links, it all matches, DNA from her, DNA from the letters left etc......its the same guy.........................and your right about the interest in other well know killers, and i wish people whom may had been to his house, would try and remember if they recall seeing a bunch of true crime books, mags videos etc .....especially anything on the Zodiac killer, i did not know there was a resemblance in both the writings, thanks for pointing that out.
Shirley someone would remember being at someones house and seeing a bunch of stuff pertaining to crime, the zodiac , any odd things on the wall etc

We are not seeing everything they have, the green rug photo looks as if its been cut, before they released it, and included other things perhaps, if not the child herself, but only speculating on that.

Bumping from page 4. ( a 2010 post)

Fort Report: The April Tinsley case

Aug 10, 2018

"This week's guests will be former Fort Wayne Police detectives Danny Jackson and Dan Camp, who will discuss their work on the April Tinsley case...."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, it was matched to the crime scene in 1988, DNA left on a writing instrument when the barn message was done in 1990, and to the DNA in the notes left in 2004.

Think about this. This guy had a sign placard outside of his trailer as a decoration. It was his name handwritten on barn wood. There are similarities in some of the letter formations to the taunt written on the barn, yet nobody thought anything about it.

Yes, it was matched to the crime scene in 1988, DNA left on a writing instrument when the barn message was done in 1990, and to the DNA in the notes left in 2004.

Think about this. This guy had a sign placard outside of his trailer as a decoration. It was his name handwritten on barn wood. There are similarities in some of the letter formations to the taunt written on the barn, yet nobody thought anything about it.

Have you a link to a MSM pic of his trailer placard that we could compare?

I don't think the writing on the sign outside his trailer looks anything at all like the writing on the barn.

Friday, October 5th:
*Pretrial Conference Hearing (@ 8:30am CT) - IN - April Marie Tinsley (8) (April 1, 1988; found April 4, 1988) - *John D. Miller (59/29 @ time of crime) arrested (7/15/18), charged (7/16/18) & indicted (7/19/18) on felony murder, 3rd degree child molesting & criminal confinement. Plead not guilty. No bail.
Confessed, DNA linked by Parabon Nanolabs
7/16/18 Update: Judge gives pros 72 hours (Thursday 7/19) to formally charge suspect.
7/19/18 Update: Judge entered a not guilty plea. Next hearing is 8/13 to set trial date & Omnibus hearing on 9/10.
8/3/18 Update: Hearing on 9/10 cancelled. Next hearing 10/5. Trial date set to run for 2 weeks – begins 2/11 to 2/22/19.
10/4/18 Update: Motion for change of venue filed by Defense.

If he confessed - why even bother with trial.... I'll never understand that!

Hearing on motion to move Miller's trial set for December

October 05, 2018

"An Allen County judge could decide in December whether to move the trial of the man accused of sexually assaulting and killing 8-year-old April Tinsley in 1988.

John D. Miller, 59, argues in court documents filed in Allen Superior Court by defense attorney Anthony Churchward that local jurors can't be impartial because of "public hostility against him," "public outrage" about the alleged crime and "speculative opinions as to his guilt and character."

A hearing on the request is scheduled for Dec. 7...."

Hearing on motion to move Miller's trial set for December | Courts | Journal Gazette
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Velvetshadow
Back