Found Deceased IN - Betty “Jane” Capps, adult, Mecca, Parke County, 29 June 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

imstilla.grandma

Believer of Miracles
Reaction score
ROCKVILLE, Ind. (WTWO-WAWV) — New information regarding the search for a missing Parke County woman. According to the Parke County Sheriff’s Facebook page, the investigation into the disappearance of Betty Jane Capps continues.

The post states that Betty goes by her middle name “Jane”. She was last seen on June 29th at 4 pm in Mecca, Indiana. Officials say her 2007 gray Ford Focus is also missing.

The sheriff’s office has been using drones, fixed wing aircraft and off road vehicles in the search.

several area, bodies of water, have been searched by Indiana Conservation officers using sonar.

Anyone with information should contact the Parke County Sheriff’s office.

Her FB

Unfortunately, local news has been non-existent. The day she was last seen was the same day we had the derecho come through around 3pm. Heavy damage was spotty in Parke County, but there were many county roads with trees and power lines down that evening and outside of Rockville, almost all of the county was without power. Cell service is spotty at best in and around Mecca in the best of times and many were having cell service issues around the county after the storms, so unless she had a corded landline, she may have not had any way of reaching out.

I live not too far north of Mecca and even nosing around local chatter, there's not much info available. It appears she had a caregiver who was at her house that day and left around 3pm, so Jane would have been left alone right around the time the storm hit. AFAIK, she still lives on the south side of town on Craig St.

I live not too far north of Mecca and even nosing around local chatter, there's not much info available.

If you're familiar with the local news outlets, perhaps you can send a quick email to a couple of them? Or even posting the article on the local Nextdoor or FB page could help get her story out there.

From what I've seen, local news have covered her story plus a follow up more recently about her being missing and several of the local FB pages that have the largest local reach have been sharing, but I'll reach out to some others as well as push to keep her name out there. I'll also ask around to see if there is any more information that can be added to what little is known.

I'm just afraid with her car being missing as well, she's gone off the road somewhere, especially with so many roads blocked or partially blocked from storm damage during the days she could have possibly gone missing.

There will be a search party for Betty and her vehicle today at 5pm and again Saturday 8/5 if Betty is not found this evening. Searchers are meeting at the church located at 3317 Mecca Rd, Rockville, IN 47872 right off US41. Jen Thompson from WTWO news commented on a post in the FB group Parke County Chatter that she's going to try to be there today. I'm hoping some rumored information will be addressed if she shows up.

September 17, 2023

A Realtor showing a house spotted the vehicle off the roadway near an embankment.

ROCKVILLE, Ind. (WTWO/WAWV)– Police are investigating after human remains were found near a Parke County home on Sunday. Human remains were found near the vehicle, which belonged to Betty Jane Capps, a Mecca woman who was declared missing in July. No official identity has been released at this point.

No official identity has been released at this point.
<snipped to focus on this>

I'm so sad for her family. Apparently LE has officially ID'd her now because her obituary has been posted. She sounds like a really good person. RIP Betty "Jane":

(Sadly I will ask Mods to mark her as "Found Deceased.")

On Wednesday, officials identified that person as Betty Jane Capps of Mecca. Capps was reported missing on June 29.

Police think Capps left her home on June 29. This was after storms moved through the area, causing power outages and downed trees.

Investigators think she got disorientated and ultimately crashed into a steep ravine. They said Capps likely got out of her car and fell even further due to the ravine's steepness

Investigators think she got disorientated and ultimately crashed into a steep ravine. They said Capps likely got out of her car and fell even further due to the ravine's steepness
SBM ^

This is so sad, and something that could happen to any of us who drive. Derechos are scary even when you’re inside (I was in the hospital during one in Indiana in August of 2020 and we were all afraid the windows in the day room were going to break) - those winds are no joke. I can’t imagine how hard it is to control a car in those conditions. Combine it with rain and it’s so easy to get disoriented. Rest easy, Betty Jane.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NatSC
Back