GUILTY IN - Conner Conley, 10, strangled to death, Rising Sun, 28 Nov 2009 *brother arrested*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I think this town and this family have a lot of sorting out and grieving to do. They're all in shock right now. I am in no way rationalizing Andrew's awful crime but I think he must be in shock now, also. I just don't know if the prosecutors and LE are in a position to be able to tell the difference between lack of remorse and shock.

I really hope counselors and clergy are working with all community and family members who ask for help. This is going to a rocky road for a long time. I admire the grandfather's courage in attending the hearing. I'm sure his heart is broken and his mind rattled with trauma.

http://www.whas11.com/news/crimetra...g-His-Brother-Pleads-Not-Guilty-78573492.html

Jerry Monk said, “That ain’t him. It’s nothing like him. You can’t give up one child because another one is gone, you have to support both of them.”

Monk told WHAS11 that he felt that it was important for him to be in the courtroom today to support Andrew, especially because he said Andrew’s parents have given up on him.

Maybe Mr. Monk can take Andrew home and Andrew can stand over HIS bed with a knife?

I don't agree, Chicagofa13!! And you know I say this with all due respect. My guess is that Mr. Monk is reeling. My goodness, the man just lost his younger grandson. I think Mr. Monk has his own reasons to want to see Andrew. He probably wants to look into this boy's eyes and see if this is the same grandson he "thought" he knew. I seriously doubt he wants the boy anywhere near him but he does feel some sort of responsibility to appear at his hearings. I also suspect that the reporting is just a tad out of context.

I also don't think Andrew's classmates, who showed up at the hearing, want him to come to their homes and couch-surf. IMO, everybody in that town is trying to make some sense out of something senseless. His parents are probably just numb with grief.

I too think the parents are in shock. And it may be quite a while before this goes to trial, so I am thinking that after some time to recover, the parents may want to reconnect with their other son again. When they start thinking of the child they knew vs. the child that killed their son, they will have many questions and concerns. Things like why and how could they not know. And can anything be done for him. So I figure at least one parent will eventually make contact.

I too am glad the grandfather attending the hearing. In some ways what he is going through is as frightening for him as it was for Conner. Because he is not only coping with jail and the justice system, he is also coping with what he did, what his future will be and why is he so different? I am glad that he is seeing some familiar faces there. If he is ever to be rehabilitated he will need some support. But I am also glad for the gf. It sounds like he too is having a very hard time with this. And he probably needs to attend for his own sake to try to gain some understanding.

I see it on here a lot. Questions about how a parent could abandon their child in other situations. No matter what stressors they might be going through in their lives, how could they abandon their child? Well it is the same here. Their child has done more than the worst they could ever imagine. But he is still their child. People say they marry for better or worse, but everyone knows that divorce court is there if things don't work out. But parenthood is supposed to be different.

http://www.wave3.com/Global/story.asp?S=11624170

Andrew's grandfather, Jerry Monk, says he helped raise Andrew as a small child, and noticed something was wrong when Andrew's parents took him out of school.

"He got kicked out of school because he was cutting himself in school," Monk said. "And they took him home and they grounded him. Instead of going and getting him help. He should have went and got the boy help. And I don't think none of this would have happened."

Thanks for that update, Lovejac. It's inconceivable to me that the parents didn't know that cutting is a serious sign of mental illness. Grounding is not going to help at all. Most therapists work with children who cut very intensively at first and often prescribe meds initially. Some must be hospitalized for a week to 10 days. Most kids are required to sign contracts concerning safety and parents are educated on the behavior and taught how to supervise and intervene. Talk therapy often continues until the issue is resolved as it often is.

Cutting is very common, much more so than most people would realize. Boys cut far less often than girls so they often fall through the cracks. IME girls are also far more likely to allow loved ones and/or friends to see the cuts. Boys are more secretive.

Every county and every school has access to therapists who can help. There's not a school counselor or even a police officer that isn't trained in proper intervention. That poor family. They must be in a living hell right now. Maybe, just maybe, Conner's death will cause families to communicate with their kids about this symptom of stress or mental illness. Maybe the next boy or girl to get caught doing this in that community will get the help they need before something tragic happens.

I wish the prosecutors would stop saying that Andrew has no remorse. They honestly do not know what is going on in his head. He's almost certainly in shock and emotionally numb. Maybe Andrew will be able to answer some questions soon. I'm not ready to "throw away" this boy.

And cutting is never a discipline issue or a child just trying to get attention. It is an illness just like strep throat and needs treatment from a doctor too.

Andrew's grandfather, Jerry Monk, says he helped raise Andrew as a small child, and noticed something was wrong when Andrew's parents took him out of school.

"He got kicked out of school because he was cutting himself in school," Monk said. "And they took him home and they grounded him. Instead of going and getting him help. He should have went and got the boy help. And I don't think none of this would have happened."

Wow; that is just crazy!! I can't imagine NOT seeking help for a child that was cutting.

I can sympathize with this grandfather. I think any grandparent would want to believe this was so out of the norm for their grandchild. However I am sure he nor this kid's parents knew Andrew had been thinking of murdering someone for over four years.

So these fantasies that became real started long before he started cutting himself two weeks before he murdered his little brother.

imo

Could there be something going haywire with this thread? It has suddenly gone very quiet, and three times when I've attempted to post on it today (again just a minute ago), my posts keep going "poof!" and taking me back to Page 1. ??

Solstice Canyon--I'll try and see what happens to my post. I agree that it has been quiet. Maybe we'll know more this week.

ETA--looks like it's working for me.

Yeah, I know -- me either. :( I'd normally say I was happy to help, but it's hard to feel much that way when the whole story is so sad and nightmarish. The documents don't contain happy news, but the quietness is unsettling, considering what took place.

Reading through the documents, there are quite a few extra details that I don't recall reading elsewhere before. For instance:

- Andrew apparently re-enacted the crime in his home for the police, using a stuffed animal in place of his brother.

- A deputy was able to observe blood near the trunk area of his car.

- Andrew described to them that some blood had also transferred to a chair in their home, and had gotten on a gray sweatshirt that he'd been wearing, which he changed out of and put in a clothes closet.

- He put the gloves that he used to strangle his brother on a chair in the room he shared with Conner.

- The bag he taped around Conner's neck was a dark bag.

- His initial story was that he took his brother's body and put it behind "the recycling thing" before he went to the girlfriend's, but the autopsy results showed that the body had spent time resting in different positions other than the one in which it was finally found, so he admitted he had lied and that the body had actually been in his trunk while at his girlfriend's.

- A friend went with him at one point after he confessed the murder to them (name blanked out at one point, but later a first name traditionally used for males and beginning with "J" later appears), and the two of them supposedly couldn't find the body. (Note: It didn't sound like it was especially well-hidden, so I wonder why. I also wonder if the friend was instrumental in convincing Andrew to visit the police station, since it doesn't appear that anyone else is being or has been charged in the matter.)

- The parents were at the police station at more than one point, initially signing a waiver granting permission for Andrew to talk to the police.

- The parents were given the chance to talk with Andrew privately, which his mother did.

- He'd gone into his father's room on two separate occasions while his father was sleeping the morning of the 29th of November, both times with the intent of killing him with a knife.

- The father was asked to look at an autopsy photo of Conner to identify him.

- The father declined the opportunity to speak with Andrew at the time of a subsequent interview.

:eek: The more I hear about this tragedy, the more shocked I become. After reading through the documents, my jaw is on the floor.

It's so awful. I just cannot imagine being the parents of these two boys. I wonder what the mother said to her older son when they were together. My prayers are for the parents to be able to endure.

Teen plans to plead insanity in brother's killing

Updated: Friday, 22 Jan 2010, 6:42 PM EST
Published : Friday, 22 Jan 2010, 6:24 PM EST

Prosecutors say the attorney for a southern Indiana teenager accused of strangling his younger brother plans to use an insanity defense in his trial.

Seventeen-year-old Andrew Conley did not appear in an Ohio County courtroom for Friday's hearing, at which a judge set a May 3 jury trial.

more here

http://www.wishtv.com/dpp/news/crime/Teen-to-plea-insanity-in-brother-killing

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtt