GUILTY IN - Devin Parsons, 12, beaten to death, Greensburg, 3 June 2011

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I think a lot of people are unaware about how "mandated reporters" decline to act. When I was in middle school and high school, if you started to tell some sort of abuse or something like it, the teachers would tell you point blank to stop talking because they didn't want to report it. In fact, they'd tell you to never talk about how you got disciplined at home. I attended a high school with over a thousand other kids - I can't imagine none of them were currently being abused in some way. Also, at my after-school job I knew of at least three kids who everyone knew regularly got the crap beat out of them at home (and one of them suffered several broken bones in the time I worked with them). It was talked about a lot with my same age co-workers. None of the people my age reported because they figured no one would listen to a kid, but I can't imagine no adults knew anything about it at all.

I am so angry about this case. There were so many opportunities to save this boy. In spite of his home life, he was a great kid. He deserved so much better. Some people need to lose their jobs over this. I am outraged at CPS for all of the chances they had and ignored. This has got to stop.

Sharon Pierce, with Prevent Child Abuse Indiana, said most of the time, children who are returned to their homes after suffering abuse are OK.

"Child abusers can change and do change, and we've got good research to help us with strategies on how to do that,"
she said.

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/28159951/detail.html

The mother who is having a horrible week, is totally stressed out, has a child who is being a complete brat...
Then that child says "You are such a $&#%!!!" and the Mom smacks the child? Then immediately feels horrible and starts crying...
Then takes the child to the doctor to make sure the child is okay...

THAT person can change. A ONE time, pushed to the brink event. Where they immediately can't believe what they did.
Where it actually won't happen again, because they will learn to control what led to that point.

The person who is reported 17 TIMES and who's child is afraid to go home... isn't going to change on number 18!
The person who can beat her child to death over more than a day??
That person cannot change.
Obviously, their good research isn't good enough. :twocents:

I have called CPS and was told point blank that the child MUST have a visible bruise and say it was caused by a person in the home before anything will be done. Sometimes it is too late.

This DID happen.
On report number SEVENTEEN if not before.
There is NO excuse for DCS non actions in this case. Period, end of story.

http://blogs.indystar.com/starwatch/2012/02/12/numerous-reports-preceded-devin-parsons-death/

If there was one critical moment, however, it might have been April 29.
School officials called DCS that day about scratch marks on Devin’s neck.

The agency sent a worker to interview Devin at school. He was hesitant. First he blamed a cat, then his brother.

Finally, Devin said his mother had grabbed him by the neck in a fit of anger, leaving the scratches.

He told the DCS investigator his mother had threatened him: If he told anyone what had happened, he would be in trouble.

“Devin is afraid of getting his mother in trouble,” family case manager Nicole Whallon wrote in her report.

“Devin is also afraid to go home
because he fears what will happen now that he has told.”

The agency could have sent Devin to stay with a relative while sorting out the allegations. Or it could have placed him in a foster home for a few days.

And not just because of the concerns Devin voiced that day. There also was his mother’s long history of abuse and neglect allegations to consider — 17 reports in all by that time.

Nonetheless, DCS did exactly what the scared little boy said he feared. He was sent home.

This one is just as infuriating today as it was when it first broke. Thanks for the follow ups.

:banghead:

From December 12, 2012:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2012/12/12/man-sentenced-in-torture-death/1764199/

Family members, police officers and others who had never even met the boy — knowing him only through accounts of the grisly killing — packed a small courtroom to watch as his mother's former boyfriend, Waldo "Lynn" Jones Jr., 31, was sentenced to 60 years in prison for his role in the murder.

It was the same sentence Devin's mother, Tasha Parsons, received earlier this year in the killing motivated by the couple's belief that Devin had swiped and hidden some of their illegal drugs...

Jones and Parsons pleaded guilty to murder charges in exchange for the prosecutor dropping a request that they be sentenced to life in prison without parole.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Backhand
Back