IN - Grandfather charged in cruise ship death of toddler Chloe Wiegand #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Like many cases here that we follow early reports are sometimes wrong, like the report that Chloe was with two siblings (we know that's not true). So it could just be an error. But it does make me wonder if the ship railings are actually metal painted to look like wood and not actually wood. @they'll get you can you help answer?

B4EB0861-A3AD-4874-9736-DC2D7A1F2BE1.jpeg
100% wood railings on the Voyager and the YouTube vid of the Freedom was wood.
The window frames are metal.
IMO metal would get too hot in the sun. Jeeze imagine the law suits with hot metal railings.

I’m sure the legal eagles have researched all his history, like any cruelty when he was young up till now.

I’m now looking beyond stupidity and towards sadism as just can’t get my head around what he did.
Looks like we’re on the same page. There’s something seriously off and disturbing about this man.

View attachment 222222
100% wood railings on the Voyager and the YouTube vid of the Freedom was wood.
The window frames are metal.
IMO metal would get too hot in the sun. Jeeze imagine the law suits with hot metal railings.
Thank you so much! Yeah it makes sense that metal would get too hot - oh no lawsuit! I had read somewhere that some boats (not ships) use no wood because of fire hazards. Of course this doesn't apply to wooden boats but I was curious about cruise ships.

I haven't found a copy and have been looking.

I can't even find a detailed legal description of Article 96 of the criminal code (under which he is charged) in Puerto Rico. I have been looking for a while.

Usually I can find the actual various laws/statutes somewhere, pertaining to our WS cases.

Attorney General Dennise N. Longo Quiñones, the Chief of Prosecutors, Arlene Gardón Rivera, together with the prosecutor's office of the district attorney of San Juan Víctor Carbonell, reported that charges were filed against Salvatore Anello for Negligent Homicide, per Article 96 of the Criminal Code.

In events that occurred on July 7, 2019, on the Freedom of the Seas cruise ship, on the Panamerican Pier II in San Juan, a child aged 1 year and 7 months lost her life when the step grandfather (husband of the maternal grandmother) negligently exposed her through one of the windows on the 11th floor of the ship. The minor fell from a height of 115 feet, which caused death instantly.
Local family demanding answers after grandfather charged in cruise ship death of toddler

Maybe he did start to get her leaning back into the ship, but the rocking motion of him pulling to get her back in, made her bum slip off the ledge and then she went down. :(
I really saw it as he held her there, right outside the window, or at least on the very edge of the window... and he was letting her lean forward, then he let go. He just let go of her. Why would he do this? Why?
We don’t know why. But we know he did. The only question now is, what’s the Motive. This was no accident.

I really saw it as he held her there, right outside the window, or at least on the very edge of the window... and he was letting her lean forward, then he let go. He just let go of her. Why would he do this? Why?
We don’t know why. But we know he did. The only question now is, what’s the Motive. This was no accident.

I haven't been able to personally determine my opinion of exactly the position in which Chloe fell myself. Just what others are saying, and there seems to be a difference of opinion.

I have read head back. I have read leaning forward. I can't tell myself.

How can an adult male take care of a toddler with no supplies like diapers, water, tissues, band-aids,etc. SA was walking around with CW with nothing, no tote bag with supplies, nothing. Suppose she needed a diaper change? Are their changing stations on FOS? Would SA need to go into the men's room or ladies room to change her diaper, or just change her on a deck chair? Did KW leave a diaper bag on a deck chair for them to use? Point being, the supplies SA wasn't carrying with him probably means KW wasn't planning on being gone very long, she might have figured they would never leave the pool until she came back, too bad for Chloe they didn't stay there.
Good points, and they do raise a lot of questions, don’t they. Personally, I think you’re on the right track.

Last edited:
How can an adult male take care of a toddler with no supplies like diapers, water, tissues, band-aids,etc. SA was walking around with CW with nothing, no tote bag with supplies, nothing. Suppose she needed a diaper change? Are their changing stations on FOS? Would SA need to go into the men's room or ladies room to change her diaper, or just change her on a deck chair? Did KW leave a diaper bag on a deck chair for them to use? Point being, the supplies SA wasn't carrying with him probably means KW wasn't planning on being gone very long, she might have figured they would never leave the pool until she came back, too bad for Chloe they didn't stay there.

There were no change stations inside the women’s toilets and I didn’t notice any but surely they were there somewhere.
It’d consider it safe to leave a supply bag on a deck chair as many people do while they swim.

Thank you BeachSky
Aprox. 2.30 on the first day I went to the 11th floor where Chloe was. My heart became strangely heavy with anxiety so I sat and studied the people around and noticed how noisy it was, the people were not facing the windows but toward the centre of the ship so I’d understand if there weren’t too many witnesses until SA yelled.
I did look down to the wharf at Sydney and, knowing what we know now, the height took my breath. I wouldn’t put my phone beyond that rail let alone a baby.

F*$&#* stupid galoot!!!
(I was on the Voyager)

I've said in an earlier post that I live on the 11th floor of an apartment building. I've lived here for over 40 years, we have a terrace and that height is my normal. I wouldn't even wave a $50 bill over the terrace because the wind could snatch it.

When my daughter was a toddler the door was bolted; same with my three grandchildren. (All the windows in all the rooms had safety bars as is mandatory for children under 10). I bet SA wouldn't have waved his cell phone out the window and over the railing because he knew he could drop it. If only he had been aware enough when it came to Chloe.

I've watched those videos so many times. It doesn't look like anyone noticed when he yanked Chloe up and out. I keep wondering what I would have said if I were near him and noticed it. As a mother, grandmother and veteran teacher, I feel that I would have said something like, "Sir, that is dangerous, please put her down," and taken my lumps with him being angry that I was minding his business. Actually, though, if she were already dangling outside, I would be afraid to speak in case I startled him and that caused him to drop her. I think I may have held my breath and then said something after she was brought safely back inside. (If only...) Of course I wouldn't really know unless I were in that situation in real life.

ETA deleted by me

Last edited:
I find a conflict in the reported Negligent Homicide penalties in Puerto Rico.

Negligent homicide is a misdemeanor charge, but carries the same penalty as a fourth-degree felony under Puerto Rico law, said Juan Torruella Rojas, a San Juan defense lawyer who is not affiliated with the case.
If convicted, Rojas said negligent homicide carries a sentence of up to three years in prison.
Cruise ship toddler death video could help decide grandfather's fate

UBM:
The updated penal code raises the sentence for second-degree homicide to 50 years from a range of 15-25 years and the sentence for negligent homicide to 15 years from a range of 8-15 years.
Puerto Rico Stiffens Crime Sentences

Last edited:
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone here! I hope you've been getting in some quality family time or will soon.

To be honest, I get a very strong "not my problem" vibe from SA towards Chloe. That isn't to say that he didn't love her and enjoy her company, but more like someone else would worry about her and he'd just get to have fun when she was around.

As an example, my one cousin was getting married and had made her older married sister her matron of honor and her little 2-year-old niece her flower girl. Because grandma had always been such a big help with the little one, mom pretty much took the baby to everything (bridal showers, dress fittings, the wedding, and reception) and just assumed that grandma was keeping an eye on baby. And because grandma wasn't specifically asked to look after and was dealing with arrangements and the financial sides of things she wasn't watching. At the shower, the toddler pulled a display table down on herself that had lit candles on it. Got hot wax on her dress and broke the glass votives but luckily wasn't burned or cut, just scared. At the reception, she wandered out into the parking lot TWICE, again lucky that someone saw her and grabbed her before she could get hit by a car or wander away completely. Mom was adamant she'd done nothing wrong but after that Gma ALWAYS asked "who's looking after her?" at family get-togethers and events.

That's exactly the vibe I get off SA. We don't know for sure that he was ever left alone with her prior to this. We have photos of him with her, but they all seem to be some kind of event and with other people about. And even then there are times Chloe is just kinda 'there' by him but not his focus at all.

21246906-7706333-image-m-9_1574256969874.jpg

He sure seems far more interested in this dog right now then Chloe. She's not even in his line of sight. She could easily bolt and get herself into an unsafe situation if he was the only one there minding her.

18977291_G.jpg

This is a very sweet photo, but it's clear grandma is the one doing most of the actual minding and helping, holding the bag for the eggs and encouraging her while he snaps pictures. And there is NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT. There are some grandparents who are just not that hands-on, don't do diapers, physically can't keep up, etc. It doesn't mean they don't care just that they don't get left alone with little ones because they don't/can't stay focused on her and her saftey. He looks like he's having fun following along, but could just as easily decide he's bored and wants to focus on someone/thing else and let grandma and her keep going without him.

Chloe and mom had been playing in the splash pad before he came up. Why did she stop playing in the water after mom left? Those things can keep little ones entertained for hours till you finally have to step in and pull them out kicking and screaming to dry off, warm-up, and get something to eat/drink. I don't know if he was wearing swim trunks under his shirt but part of me wonders if mom made her come out while she was only with SA, not trusting him with her in the water where she could slip or get into one of the wading pools with him not paying full attention and so he encouraged her to wander away to find something else to occupy her because 'mom said no more splashing till she got back'. She goes over to the windows and he decides to try something he thinks is funny out not thinking about if she's still wet and slippery, or how squirmy she might get because he's never had to think about that before. Someone else was always there to do that for him. And next thing you know she's disappeared from his hands before he can do anything to stop it.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't find anything wrong or alarming about either of those photos. In the one with the dog, she's in the background, I'm sure just about every family has a pic or several just like that. I doubt he was the only familiar adult around and that he asked a random stranger to snap the pic while Chloe ran off unattended and in the second photo, there's obviously at least three adults around, who knows how many more where there?

I'm not excusing SA's actions on the ship, and I fully blame him for Chloe's death, but I don't think those photos are proof of anything.

I've said in an earlier post that I live on the 11th floor of an apartment building. I've lived here for over 40 years, we have a terrace and that height is my normal. I wouldn't even wave a $50 bill over the terrace because the wind could snatch it.

When my daughter was a toddler the door was bolted; same with my three grandchildren. (All the windows in all the rooms had safety bars as is mandatory for children under 10). I bet SA wouldn't have waved his cell phone out the window and over the railing because he knew he could drop it. If only he had been aware enough when it came to Chloe.

I've watched those videos so many times. It doesn't look like anyone noticed when he yanked Chloe up and out. I keep wondering what I would have said if I were near him and noticed it. As a mother, grandmother and veteran teacher, I feel that I would have said something like, "Sir, that is dangerous, please put her down," and taken my lumps with him being angry that I was minding his business. Actually, though, if she were already dangling outside, I would be afraid to speak in case I startled him and that caused him to drop her. I think I may have held my breath and then said something after she was brought safely back inside. (If only...) Of course I wouldn't really know unless I were in that situation in real life.

Say if you did say something and he dropped her, say if you didn’t say anything and he dropped her...maybe another witness is haunted every day for the rest of their lives because of whatifs.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't find anything wrong or alarming about either of those photos. In the one with the dog, she's in the background, I'm sure just about every family has a pic or several just like that. I doubt he was the only familiar adult around and that he asked a random stranger to snap the pic while Chloe ran off unattended and in the second photo, there's obviously at least three adults around, who knows how many more where there?

I'm not excusing SA's actions on the ship, and I fully blame him for Chloe's death, but I don't think those photos are proof of anything.

Agreeeeeeeeeee.

I've watched the videos several times...is it clear he did actually hold her out the window? I'm not saying he didn't but I can't tell for sure.

Say if you did say something and he dropped her, say if you didn’t say anything and he dropped her...maybe another witness is haunted every day for the rest of their lives because of whatifs.

Absolutely. I'm sure everyone in that vicinity that we see on the tape wishes he or she could have intervened somehow.

PR Crim Statute, Negligent Homicide.
I wish I could find Article 96 of their criminal code.
I find a conflict in the reported Negligent Homicide penalties in Puerto Rico.
Negligent homicide is a misdemeanor charge, but carries the same penalty as a fourth-degree felony under Puerto Rico law, said Juan Torruella Rojas, a San Juan defense lawyer who is not affiliated with the case.
If convicted, Rojas said negligent homicide carries a sentence of up to three years in prison.
Cruise ship toddler death video could help decide grandfather's fate
UBM:
The updated penal code raises the sentence for second-degree homicide to 50 years from a range of 15-25 years and the sentence for negligent homicide to 15 years from a range of 8-15 years.

Puerto Rico Stiffens Crime Sentences
@SouthAussie Color me confused too. o_O:confused: I've posted PR Negligent Homicide statute before, but nothing referencing Article 96, so it's poss my posts were in error, but here's what I posted:
"§ 4737. Negligent homicide
Any person who causes the death of another through negligence shall incur a misdemeanor, but shall receive the penalty established for a fourth degree felony...."

"§ 4694. Applicable penalties
"(e) Fourth degree felony. — Entails a punishment of imprisonment for a fixed term in natural years which shall not be less than six (6) months and one (1) day, nor more than three (3) years. In such case, the person may be considered for parole by the Parole Board upon having served fifty percent (50%) of the term of imprisonment imposed.". bbm.

Going to search further for the link for ^.

The bolded green ^ is consistent w what I previously found. jmo

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members