IN - Grandfather charged in cruise ship death of toddler Chloe Wiegand #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cruise line says grandfather knew window was open before Granger girl fell to her death

Snipped

But in its motion, the cruise line argues it has no duty to protect against unforeseeable incidents.

"His actions, which no reasonable person could have foreseen, were reckless and irresponsible and the sole reason why Chloe is no longer with her parents," the document says.

In a statement to the Indianapolis Star, Winkleman said Royal Caribbean's motion was "baseless and deceptive."

"It is clear that Royal Caribbean’s tactic is to blame Chloe’s grandfather rather than to accept that Royal Caribbean did not implement industry standards for toddler safety aboard its ships," Winkleman said in the statement Friday.
Cruise line says grandfather knew window was open before Granger girl fell to her death

Snipped

But in its motion, the cruise line argues it has no duty to protect against unforeseeable incidents.

"His actions, which no reasonable person could have foreseen, were reckless and irresponsible and the sole reason why Chloe is no longer with her parents," the document says.

In a statement to the Indianapolis Star, Winkleman said Royal Caribbean's motion was "baseless and deceptive."

"It is clear that Royal Caribbean’s tactic is to blame Chloe’s grandfather rather than to accept that Royal Caribbean did not implement industry standards for toddler safety aboard its ships," Winkleman said in the statement Friday.

Sorry if this is already been posted, but it includes some new information and new quotes from Winkleman.

Michiana family says cruise line is being 'deceptive' in lawsuit over toddler's death

Nope, had not seen this one(above):Michiana family says cruise line is being 'deceptive' in lawsuit over toddler's death

“They are trying to capitalize on that angle to come up with a false narrative,” said Winkleman. “What the photos, videos, and accident reconstruction from the vessel inspection show is that Chloe was always within the ship and there was room to spare.

Winkleman says last week, an inspection and accident reconstruction was conducted, proving there was at least a foot and a half of room between the railing and window."

"Winkleman says the photos and accident re-enactment data will be released next week"

This came out of Granger, Indiana. I remember David Begnaud saying that the family had tremendous support in their hometown area.

IMO he has some facial features and a build that could indicate an alcoholic.

Please note that I am not saying SA is an alcoholic, but his appearance has features that often indicate a long history with alcohol.
My husband retired LE said the same thing I do wonder if he was somewhat impaired, I know they say he isn't a drinker but who really knows only him.

My husband retired LE said the same thing I do wonder if he was somewhat impaired, I know they say he isn't a drinker but who really knows only him.
Another thing when he squats down by that piller as Chloe toddles through to bar I wondered if he was too hot or tired but hubby says is a stress position restricting your blood flow people often do this when under the influence.

Another thing when he squats down by that piller as Chloe toddles through to bar I wondered if he was too hot or tired but hubby says is a stress position restricting your blood flow people often do this when under the influence.

Hmm...I can't say I've heard of that before. You learn something new everyday. And here I was thinking it was good that he could do a squat like that without aid, the knees being one of the first things to go as you age. I guess he did have the post there to brace against.

Do you mean he might have felt dizzy and went into that position to restrict blood flow?

The article below has new information and new quotes from Winkleman. Apparently, Winkleman had an accident re-enactment done during their inspection of the ship in Barbados and is planning to release those results next week.

Michiana family says cruise line is being 'deceptive' in lawsuit over toddler's death

“Chloe was always within the ship and there was room to spare.”

How did she fall out if she was always within the ship?
That’s an impossibility. What are these people on??

Last edited:
Obviously the best toddler safety is not to go on holiday with reckless arrogant grandpas who think they can do what they want.

Imo he must be a convincing liar for the family to believe his tripe.
RCC has sat back and now it’s all gloves off. It’s time, no more slander, no more benevolence.

Now it’s going to get interesting.

“Chloe was always within the ship and there was room to spare.”

How did she fall out if she was always within the ship?
That’s an impossibility. What are these people on??

It's kind of like "at no point ever, ever, would Sam ever
put our children in danger".

Seriously, though, they are saying that SA did not himself breach where the glass would have been, had it been there. They are saying that he did not hold her outside the window, she fell out there.

Would you please let us know once you post it? I’d like to follow the thread.

I’m very sorry about your friend. It seems like this type of domestic violence where death of one or both is on the rise and very concerning!!!
Just posted it, thank you all for the support! Titled "Madena Sediqi 33 Killed in Roseville, CA, Husband Arrested."

New Motion for Discovery by Plaintiffs? Already?
The article below has new information and new quotes from Winkleman....Michiana family says cruise line is being 'deceptive' in lawsuit over toddler's death
@Chikkamma. :) Thanks for new link. From article: "The family has filed a motion requesting all video evidence from each camera including one from outside the ship."

Wait a sec. Discovery, already? Is it too soon? Even before court has ruled on RCL's Mo/Dismiss? And before the parties Rule 26(f) conference?
News article says motion was filed, does not say plans to file (unless a reporting/editing error).

Also @Chikkamma as your post referenced - "Winkleman says the photos and accident re-enactment data will be released next week."
<<Can he find enough time to actually file necessary documents in court, in between his media appearances.:rolleyes: Sarc.>>

Talk about an atty (trying to?) try the case in the media. No sarc.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Federal Rules of Civil Procedure.
FRCP 26. Duty to Disclose; General Provisions Governing Discovery

"Rule 26 – Duty to Disclose; General Provisions Governing Discovery"
"(C) Time for Initial Disclosures—In General. A party must make the initial disclosures at or within 14 days after the parties’ Rule 26(f) conference unless a different time is set by stipulation or court order, or unless a party objects..."

Last edited:
Do you mean he might have felt dizzy and went into that position to restrict blood flow?
Apparently people tend to get into this position because they might have temporary lost control of their facilities it is a very uncomfortable position. I don't know if he had a drink but it something my hubby has seen many times and the first thing he said when watching the video. To be honest him being impaired is one of the only things that makes some sort of sense a reckless person who is rather tiddly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avatour360