Found Safe IN - Hannah Potts, 23, Princeton, missing after FB live video saying kidnapped - 24 July 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
SW x2 have been released for access to Hannah’s phone and Facebook records. Shared by a family member on SM. They are from a non approved source (sorry admin, thought I was ok to post the documents). Two separate case numbers have also been specified. I’ve tried to find these on www.in.gov but the site is running slow for me.

Gibson Co. Prosecutor: Charges filed in kidnapping hoax

SBM

Gibson County Prosecutor Michael Cochren says he’s filed False Informing charges against Hannah Potts and two others for planning and executing an abduction hoax on July 26.

He says Potts, with the assistance of Joshua M. Thomas and Maria S. Hopper, urged that law enforcement be notified after posting onto social media that she had been abducted.

The prosecutor says Joshua Thomas and Maria Hopper assisted in hiding her and were untruthful when confronted by law enforcement concerning her whereabouts.
https://www.wevv.com/content/news/C...ounty-Woman-for-Abduction-Hoax-571945711.html

GIBSON COUNTY, Ind. — A Gibson County woman who disappeared after falsely claiming to be abducted was found by deputies in a basement of a friend's house, shackles on her ankles and a pair of handcuffs hanging on her right wrist.

Hannah Potts, 23, told police she faked her disappearance for a manuscript she's writing, according to a probable cause affidavit. She faces a preliminary charge of false reporting in connection to the hoax.

Also charged were Maria Hopper, 34, and Joshua Thomas, 45, whom Potts said were characters in her story. The duo allegedly helped harbor the runaway woman.

Charges filed against Hannah Potts, 2 others in Gibson Co. kidnap hoax

GIBSON COUNTY, Ind. — A Gibson County woman who disappeared after falsely claiming to be abducted was found by deputies in a basement of a friend's house, shackles on her ankles and a pair of handcuffs hanging on her right wrist.

Hannah Potts, 23, told police she faked her disappearance for a manuscript she's writing, according to a probable cause affidavit. She faces a preliminary charge of false reporting in connection to the hoax.

Also charged were Maria Hopper, 34, and Joshua Thomas, 45, whom Potts said were characters in her story. The duo allegedly helped harbor the runaway woman.

Charges filed against Hannah Potts, 2 others in Gibson Co. kidnap hoax
Runaway 23 year old? Only if someone has custody of guardianship of her.

I found it really disturbing she faked this thing AND described her kidnapper as black in a maroon car. I dont know but it made me think of the current protests / protests last months and events that precipitated it. Innocent men could have been harassed or worse...

GIBSON COUNTY, Ind. — All three people facing a criminal charge in connection with a hoax kidnapping have been arrested.

Joshua Thomas, 45, of Princeton, was arrested on a warrant Wednesday afternoon and released a short time later after paying a $650 cash bond, Gibson County Jail officials said.

Warrants were issued for the arrests of Hannah Potts, 23, and Maria Hopper, 34, on Thursday, and they were booked into jail that afternoon, a jail official said. Their mugshots weren't available by deadline. Hopper was released a short time later after paying a $650 cash bond, according to jail records.

Potts is being held in lieu of a $6,500 surety or $650 cash bond, according to court records.

Thomas, Potts and Hopper are all facing one count of false informing in connection with the hoax abduction of Potts.

All 3 connected to Hannah Potts hoax kidnapping arrested

Ballard says Hopper led him through the residence, where he observed a stairway leading to the basement. Sgt. Ballard says he asked about the stairway, and that Hopper said there wasn't anything down there, before leading law enforcement down the stairs.

Sgt. Ballard says in the basement, he observed a 3-foot by 3-foot piece of plywood secured by two shiny rotating lock-type pieces of hardware, which appeared to be blocking a small enclosed space in the basement. Ballard says Hopper told him that behind the plywood was "an area that was just full of spiders."

Ballard says after unlatching the door fastening, Hopper admitted that Potts was hiding inside the area.

Sgt. Ballard says behind the wooden barrier was a small concrete room similar to a coal cellar, that had no lighting and was damp.

"After being ordered to show herself, Hannah Potts then uncovered herself from the back corner of the area. Hannah Potts was wearing a fully functioning handcuff on her right wrist, and also had fully functioning shackles binding her ankles. At this time Hannah Potts stated that she was not being held against her will and wanted to remain in the location that she was," the affidavit says.

In the affidavit, Sgt. Ballard says that after some conversation, Potts willingly removed herself from the small room in the basement, at which point she was taken to the sheriff's office for an interview.

"During the interview, Hannah Potts advised that she had been planning a kidnapping event with Maria Hopper for at least a week prior to Hannah Pott's disappearance," the affidavit reads.

Ballard's affidavit says Potts said she wanted to have this experience for "research purposes in a manuscript that she was writing," and that Hopper and Thomas were characters in her story.

According to Ballard, Potts also said that she had been rehearsing the post she made to Facebook for a week, that Hopper and Thomas set up and arranged the room she was staying in, and that Hopper had picked her up and taken Potts to her residence. Ballard said Potts also stated that she placed the shackles on herself and that she had been provided food and drink by Hopper.

Affidavit Reveals Details of Hannah Potts 'Abduction Hoax' Investigation

I think it's appropriate. Seems like it was some kind of deep dive fantasy experience that just accidentally spilled out into the real world and got confused because the participants didn't set firm boundaries. The cops never bought it and didn't waste any more resources on it than having a detective swing by the friend's house a couple times.

I think it's appropriate. Seems like it was some kind of deep dive fantasy experience that just accidentally spilled out into the real world and got confused because the participants didn't set firm boundaries. The cops never bought it and didn't waste any more resources on it than having a detective swing by the friend's house a couple times.

I don't think they should have suspended all of the 360 days. MOO

I don't think they should have suspended all of the 360 days. MOO
For someone who was found willingly being held in a cell, I kind of think putting her in a cell wouldn't be as effective a punishment as the public humiliation she's already received. Not to mention her knowing that she's now a prime target for an actual kidnapper who would know that local law enforcement and the community would be slow to believe it if it seemed to be happening again.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chernobyl_Werewolf
Back