IN - Hannah Wilson, 22, IU student, murdered, Brown County, 24 April 2015

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
However, Uber spokeswoman Brooke Anderson said Messell has never been employed by the company and that Wilson hasn't taken an Uber ride since Monday night.

Does that mean that Hannah hadn't requested an Uber ride on the night she was killed? (Referring to the theory that she may have gotten in the wrong car). Uber is really trying to distance themselves from this story.

Yes, it means that she didn't initiate the request. However, the rumors I've heard are that the Uber was requested for her, which of course would only show up on that person's account. In addition to the actual driver, a possibility exists that the suspect may simply sit back and watch for a (potentially impaired) female traveling alone and then follow the cab to drop off.

Yet another story that hits home for me.
Grew up in bloomington and spent quite a bit of time hanging out on campus. Hunted and fished all over brown county.
Still stop in to see friends 4-5 times per year. The perps name sounds very familiar, glad they caught him very quickly. Good job Bloomington pd.
It would please me to no end if they can tie this guy in with the dissapearance of Lauren Spierer.
Thoughts and prayers for the family.

I'm from Indiana, the number of missing girls/women is staggering. We've said for years now there is a serial killer on the loose. Perhaps they just caught him. You cannot tell me this is this mans first time at this....

Some of those cases have been solved since the article was first published, right? Kristy Kelly was found in her car in a reservoir - she apparently drove into one by accident after missing a turn. And wasn't Joelle Lockwood rescued from a couple who held her captive by a friend of that couple?

But, like others, I suspect that this wasn't the perp's first crime against women. I hope Hannah Wilson will be a clue in cracking the other cases.

JMO.

They would have had to have requested the ride from Hannah's phone, unless that other person was paying for the ride from their own Uber acct. The application debits the credit card of the person requesting the ride.

They would have had to have requested the ride from Hannah's phone, unless that other person was paying for the ride from their own Uber acct. The application debits the credit card of the person requesting the ride.

Normally this is true -- however, it appears from this article (needs a login) that for Friday-Saturday, they were using designated drop-off zones for Uber:

http://www.heraldtimesonline.com/ne...cle_99d1a19b-8296-5fce-83e8-7b6c11ef788b.html

I wonder if that means Uber drivers are lined up somewhat like taxis, so they would be more readily available. To me, that seems to make sense.

This link gives more details:

http://blog.uber.com/little500

It contains a map and this wording: "Catch safe and seamless rides to and from Bill Armstrong Stadium on race day with our designated Uber pickup and drop off location just North of the IU Fieldhouse in the Red Parking Lot (#13)."

If there were Uber cars waiting for pick-up, it would be quite easy for someone to impersonate a driver.

The man who raised murder suspect Daniel Messel told Fox 59 News that his son spoke of knowing a girl named “Hannah” from the bars near the Indiana University campus in the weeks before coed Hannah Wilson disappeared and was found slain Friday morning.

Gerald Messel said he was surprised his step-son didn’t come home Thursday night after a regular night of playing trivia in bars near the IU campus.

Messel said Daniel didn’t go to work at a print shop on Friday and returned home later in the afternoon, between visits by Indiana State troopers to the mobile home the men shared on Ison Road southwest of Bloomington in rural Monroe County.

Messel told Fox 59 News troopers served a search warrant mid-afternoon Friday and confiscated Daniel’s computer.

http://fox59.com/2015/04/26/relative-says-co-eds-murder-suspect-spoke-of-a-hannah/

From the same fox link in eileenhawkeye's post above this one....

One investigator told Fox 59 News that the comparisons between the Wilson and Spierer cases are, “eerily similar,” and detectives would most likely re-examine that four-year old unsolved case.

Friends of Wilson told Fox 59 News that the slain coed was last seen at the same bar Spierer visited in the hours before she disappeared.

The article does not specify which bar, but Kilroy's Sports Bar is the one associated with Lauren Spierer's disappearance nearly 4 years ago. I wonder if it still operating under the same name? I really think there is something here, or an LE spokesperson might not have mentioned the eery similarity. I am hopeful LE can get the goods on this perp for Lauren too.

Normally this is true -- however, it appears from this article (needs a login) that for Friday-Saturday, they were using designated drop-off zones for Uber:

http://www.heraldtimesonline.com/ne...cle_99d1a19b-8296-5fce-83e8-7b6c11ef788b.html

I wonder if that means Uber drivers are lined up somewhat like taxis, so they would be more readily available. To me, that seems to make sense.

This link gives more details:

http://blog.uber.com/little500

It contains a map and this wording: "Catch safe and seamless rides to and from Bill Armstrong Stadium on race day with our designated Uber pickup and drop off location just North of the IU Fieldhouse in the Red Parking Lot (#13)."

If there were Uber cars waiting for pick-up, it would be quite easy for someone to impersonate a driver.

I own a small taxi company in a tourist college area and from my own opinion, it is absolutely easy as pie, to impersonate an uber driver.
When people are drinking, or drunk, they do not care what they get into....and drivers legit or not, do not care who they pick up as long as they are making $.
In the 10 yrs I have been driving or owned my company not once have I been stopped or checked for my credentials. Not by LE, the DOT, or a passenger. Now that Uber is out there, there is no way for the state regulatory people to "keep track of" these cars or drivers. Uber has a bunch of money and has found ways around our states legal regulatory laws. I do not think I can impress upon you enough how unsupervised the whole business is. Now add uber into the mix....wild wild west of taxi, imo.

JMO

Though he couldn’t specify, Brown County Coroner Earl Piper said evidence was found at the scene that links Daniel to Hannah’s body. Hours after police finished their work at the crime scene, they arrested Daniel.

~~~

Prior to Daniel’s arrest Friday, his criminal history involved charges for drunk driving and felony assault, according to court documents. In 1996, he was sentenced to eight years in prison after he was convicted of assault with a deadly weapon. Seven years earlier, according to the Herald-Times archives, Messel was arrested and jailed for confinement after his then-girlfriend told police he wouldn’t let her leave her own apartment.

So on Sunday, while his stepson waited in a jail cell 30 minutes away, Gerald stood outside with Daniel’s beagle named Max.

“It’s not more of a surprise,” Gerald said. “More of a shock.”

http://www.idsnews.com/article/2015/04/daniel-messels-stepfather-recounts-day-of-arrest

Hannah Graham's murder solved another one. Perhaps Hannah Wilson's will too.

IDS version of interview with Gerald Messel. Apparently something at the crime scene made LE focus on Daniel Messel.
http://www.idsnews.com/article/2015/04/daniel-messels-stepfather-recounts-day-of-arrest

According to latest reports from IDS, his cell phone was found at the location, and blood on his car.

Hannah was last seen leaving Sports at 1 am, intoxicated, getting into a green and white car.

http://www.idsnews.com/article/2015...ound-near-wilsons-body-other-details-revealed

Cell phone led police to IU student's murder suspect

~snipped

In a probable cause document released Monday, deputies from the Brown County Sheriff's Department found Wilson's body near Plum Creek Road near State Road 45 in Brown County on the morning of April 24, 2015. Indiana State Police were called into assist.
According to court documents, the body, later identified as that of missing IU student Hannah Wilson, had "significant trauma" to the head with a substantial amount of blood pooling under her head.

<modsnip>.

http://www.wthr.com/story/28907214/c...murder-suspect

Yikes! A bit of info here, too. Osu - you might want to trim your article a bit per TOS. :)

Police: Murder suspect left cellphone where body found

A police report said the friends determined the 22-year-old Indiana University senior was too intoxicated to enter the bar, so they put her in a green and white taxi that had pulled up to the curb.

They heard her tell her address to the driver. The fare was paid in full at the curb.

<snip>

Police say they found a cellphone at the scene. Searching the numbers in it led them to Daniel E. Messel, 49, Bloomington.

Police also took his vehicle, a silver Kia Sportage, containing what appeared to be blood and a clump of hair, to be processed as evidence.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MelsNumbers
Back