Found Deceased IN - Jacqueline Watts, 33, Columbus, 3 March 2017

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
PO referred to the dam as a low-head dam. Never heard of it so I googled and found this:

LOW HEAD DAMS: WHAT ARE THEY? Low head or run-of-river dams, usually spanning the entire river or stream, present a safety hazard to the public because of their capability of producing dangerous recirculating currents, large hydraulic forces, and other hazardous conditions sufficient to trap and drown victims immediately downstream from the overflowing water.

http://www.safedam.com/low-head-dams.html

I wonder if they will release the autopsy results. I get the impression she didn't drown. If the dog was small and had been running, it could have also gotten hypothermia, even with wearing a sweater. Also, we have no idea how long the dog had been running lost and if it was elderly, etc. Maybe it was on medicine for a liver condition or any number of things. It could have been bitten by a snake or a wild animal got to it.

One thing I found interesting unless I misunderstood didn't they say the post saying Ringo was missing didn't go up until Saturday? I thought at first maybe she had seen the post and was trying to help catch him from that but apparently his owner hadn't posted it yet..and I do believe the post said he was deaf..so was he wandering in the neighborhood or was he already "missing" when she was trying to get him? Just wondering out loud..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PO referred to the dam as a low-head dam. Never heard of it so I googled and found this:

LOW HEAD DAMS: WHAT ARE THEY? Low head or run-of-river dams, usually spanning the entire river or stream, present a safety hazard to the public because of their capability of producing dangerous recirculating currents, large hydraulic forces, and other hazardous conditions sufficient to trap and drown victims immediately downstream from the overflowing water.

I was just reading the same. So, awfully tragic. I can't imagine her fear but hope it was quick. :(

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

No suicide after all it appears. My speculation wrong. RIP

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

One thing I found interesting unless I misunderstood didn't they say the post saying Ringo was missing didn't go up until Saturday? I thought at first maybe she had seen the post and was trying to help catch him from that but apparently his owner hadn't posted it yet..and I do believe the post said he was deaf..so was he wandering in the neighborhood or was he already "missing" when she was trying to get him? Just wondering out loud..

No, he said they got the tip about Ringo on Friday night

Apparently. They stated the river was fast moving that day. It is confusing though because it's hard to imagine someone drowning so quickly in such a
short distance but maybe she got knocked unconscious.

This makes me think about the times I've walked or ran in front of an on-coming car to prevent it from hitting a stray. I'm thinking I was lucky.

Oh I've done the same thing. But it's a visceral response, just as we would react to a human being in distress. Some of us are just built that way. To me it's no different than the sacrifice for another human life, however tragic.
One day while in the middle of the road to save a turtle, a gnarly looking motorcycle sped towards me. I thought I'd catch heck but the gruff-looking guy slowed and yelled "Thanks for helping the little dude!" and sped off. On the other hand, I've had stand-offs with vehicles that wanted me out of the way in order to hit the animal.
Jackie has my utmost respect, love and admiration. She revered all forms of life. I wish the outcome had been different.
RIP Jackie, and as others have noted, my deepest sympathies to all of your loved ones. :rose:

Wow really good info thank you. If she went in after Ringo that could have easily been too much to overcome and most people probably wouldn't understand the force those things could be producing just like the article said. So so sad. ☹️

Presser, continued:

Map on slides of where vehicle was parked in street.

Witnesses had to slam on breaks to avoid hitting Jackie and the dog while she was chasing it. (-5:47 left to go)

Do not suspect foul play in this incident. Hope autposy gives additional information. Investigation ongoing. No sign of struggle at vehicle.

Questions from audience:

was it just an accident? Waiting on coroner's report.

Did she hit her head? Looking at a scenario where she hit her head. Not sure. Something for coroner.

Have you located where she may have entered the river? Evidence of slipped in river? Not that he is aware of.

What do you want to say to public? Bottom line lost a special person. A shame. She was trying to help a lost dog and lost her life doing so. A big loss.

No visible signs of trauma? No specifics. Wait for autopsy.

Why section of river is dangerous/hazardous? Understanding river Friday night was moving at swift pace. Made search difficult. Had to use extreme care. Lowhead dam, can't make assumptions. If someone had been in water, the current could have been a factor of the dam.
----------

So it sounds like they believe she had a head injury, perhaps hitting her head on the dam?

No mention of her going in the water or drowning.

They only mentioned the possible swift current in regard to safety and search efforts.

Thank you! Tough to follow while trying to work also I thought i might be hearing things..

They received the tip Friday night about 2 witnesses seeing her chase the dog but I do believe the facebook post went up Saturday.

That's simply avoided with a collar with ID and a microchip.

Working at an animal shelter for nearly 12 years, your animals should ALWAYS have a collar with ID tags as well as microchip. Most large shelters (like the one I work at) have phenomenal lost and found systems. The easiest reunions happen when dogs are collared and/or microchipped - period. Our Animal Law Enforcement officers have tools to help them catch loose dogs because chasing them can be scary and causes them to run. I always carry leashes in my car as well as canned dog food - I've caught many strays just by tempting them and by gently cornering them. But I am trained to do so.

I relate to Jackie 100%. I wouldn't think twice before trying to capture a loose dog by a river. The animal rescue world lost a tremendous person. I do not know her, but animal rescuers - we are all one in the same and bonded by our love of animals.

So very tragic. A freak accident doing what her passion and love was... rescuing animals. I truly hope the local humane society or dog rescue groups pay tribute to her in some way. She truly deserves an honor.

They received the tip Friday night about 2 witnesses seeing her chase the dog but I do believe the facebook post went up Saturday.

Gotcha that's what I was wondering if Ringo wasn't "reported missing" until after she had been been trying to get him..thanks!

It seems clear she didnt slip and fall into the river.

So that leaves medical/body issues: hypothermia, snake bite, head injury

I can't think of much else.

They only mentioned the possible swift current in regard to safety and search efforts.
Have you read the information posted above about the dangers of dams, specifically low head dams? I don't understand your apparent reluctance to believe the trained investigators.

Stepping away now. RIP, Jackie.

Oh wow.

Have you read the information posted above about the dangers of dams, specifically low head dams? I don't understand your apparent reluctance to believe the trained investigators.

Stepping away now. RIP, Jackie.

I quoted the presser nearly word for word. He said one aspect they are looking at is head injury. He said there is NO evidence she fell into the river that he knows of.

He also never said that ringo drowned.

Neither ringo nor Jackie were ever seen in the water, nor were they found in water.

Ringo and jackie were both found on land: ringo on the east bank. Jackie on a sand bar.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momster0734
Back