IN - James Chadwell II, 42, arrested after missing girl 9, found in his home, Lafayette, 19 Apr 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here’s another thought, upon a cursory scroll of his FB the other night - he seems more, and I’m having trouble finding the right word right now, um, “emotional?” than I’d expect a violent pedophile to be...hard to explain. We know one only portrays a side of themself that they want seen...hard to explain what I’m getting it, he appears to be somewhat of a “romantic”, gah can’t find the word. We know he’s a monster. Maybe it’s the element of the depression he references. I hate to use the word “sensitive”, because that it is FAR from the truth as we know...I’ll think about this more and try to rephrase exactly it is that I’m trying to say. It was one of my first impressions, melancholy? Gah can’t think of what I’m trying to say. Let me put it this way, when I think of certain other predators, I wouldn’t think about one with romantic tendencies, (not the word I’m looking for), again it’s hard to explain. Sorry if this makes no sense.

Here’s another thing that bothers me, because it speaks to my own hinky meter in real life...well let me ask you guys this: IF you came across his FB randomly, before he was charged of course, would you think that guy is a violent pedophile? I don’t think I would, meaning, it’s only when you examine it within the context and known actions that it’s easier to see potential flags and things in hindsight...he obviously had some friends, some girlfriends, played guitar, talked about bands like Pink Floyd and Type O, posted food pics of bachelor foods with the Raman noodle hormel velveeta potato chip casserole...I guess what I’m saying is these people don’t always wear a sticker on their forehead that says “I’m a predator”. If I randomly came across his Facebook, I’m not sure I would’ve picked up on him being one who has been incarcerated much of his life for violent actions...I mean yes, he referenced beating up an intruder, and yes there were the bullet injury pics (did we ever figure out what that was all about?)...I guess it just really creeps me out that you really don’t know about people. Some may look at his Facebook and say wow, this man is a dog lover, idk...again, I’m not saying he comes off as Beaver Cleaver, but upon a first glance, without knowing his criminal background, if we weren’t evaluating his FB based on his known actions...Think about this, his FB has been up for years, I’m not sure if he ever came up on anyone’s radar.

Last edited:
The information in my post #429 was incorrect. My apologies!!

This is so crucial, because Chadwell was out of jail from 2011 - 2015

Our @Tiff23fr posted the correct information: (Thanks @Tiff23fr !)

Post #418 by @Tiff23fr :

"An attempt at piecing together the contributions to a timeline so far. If anything was missed please do add. All JMO/Just my observations - pulled together with helpful information posted by others."

02 08/17/1999 BATTERY RESULTING IN BODILY INJURY-
35-42-2-1(a)(1)(A)
03 08/17/1999 ILLEGAL CONSUMPTION OF AN ALCOHOLIC BEVE-
7.1-5-7-7(2)
04 08/17/1999 CRIMINAL RECKLESSNESS RESULTING IN SERIO-
Indiana Supreme Court public access case search - MyCase

9/17/2001: South Dakota sentenced “Felon in possession of handgun”: previously posted images Public Access to Court Electronic Records | PACER: Federal Court Records
5/14/2009: Began supervised release SD - resided at Arch Halfway House in Sioux Falls (Source: image attached - retrieved via Public Access to Court Electronic Records | PACER: Federal Court Records)
8/29/10: traveled to Rock Valley Iowa without permission (Source: -image attached - retrieved via Public Access to Court Electronic Records | PACER: Federal Court Records image attached)
9/2/10 Case filed in Sioux County, IA (Other Judgement) https://www.iowacourts.state.ia.us/ESAWebApp/TIndexFrm
12/5/10: left halfway house and did not return (Source: image attached - retrieved via Public Access to Court Electronic Records | PACER: Federal Court Records - image attached)
12/6/10: Warrant issued for return to custody (Source: Public Access to Court Electronic Records | PACER: Federal Court Records- image attached)
1/12/11: Memorandum in request of release (Source: Public Access to Court Electronic Records | PACER: Federal Court Records - image attached)
1/18/2011: appears he was paroled (Source: Public Access to Court Electronic Records | PACER: Federal Court Records - image attached)

Appears he may have been out on supervised release during this time and the request below was a hearing on leaving the state? JMO???
If anyone has found a credible source that shows something different please update.

10/8/2015: Parole hearing (appears granted to transition to Indiana) (Post #288) https://boardsandcommissions.sd.gov/bcuploads/ParoleBoardDecisionsOctober2015.pdf

<GAP in info>

1/26/2016: Updated profile pic on Facebook

3/14/16: released on OR bond in Tippecanoe County, IN Indiana Supreme Court public access case search - MyCase

5/4/16
: Failure to appear Tippecanoe County, IN Indiana Supreme Court public access case search - MyCase

7/20/16 Operating Intoxicated (Kokomo, IN): Police reports July 20, 2016
1/26/2017 Case in Sioux County, IA (Case Dismissed) https://www.iowacourts.state.ia.us/ESAWebApp/TIndexFrm
9/24/19 (Post # 253) Protective Order (Miami County, IN): Search Protective Orders and No Contact Orders
7/21/20 (Post #253) Protective Order (Tippecanoe, IN): Search Protective Orders and No Contact Orders
8/10/20 - criminal trespassing and public intoxication (Indiana Supreme Court public access case search - MyCase)

4/21/21 - arrest in current case (79D04-2104-MC-000408) public.courts.in.gov

An attempt at piecing together the contributions to a timeline so far. If anything was missed please do add. All JMO/Just my observations - pulled together with helpful information posted by others.

Post #279
02 08/17/1999 BATTERY RESULTING IN BODILY INJURY-
35-42-2-1(a)(1)(A)
03 08/17/1999 ILLEGAL CONSUMPTION OF AN ALCOHOLIC BEVE-
7.1-5-7-7(2)
04 08/17/1999 CRIMINAL RECKLESSNESS RESULTING IN SERIO-
Indiana Supreme Court public access case search - MyCase

9/17/2001: South Dakota sentenced “Felon in possession of handgun”: previously posted images Public Access to Court Electronic Records | PACER: Federal Court Records
5/14/2009: Began supervised release SD - resided at Arch Halfway House in Sioux Falls (Source: image attached - retrieved via Public Access to Court Electronic Records | PACER: Federal Court Records)
8/29/10: traveled to Rock Valley Iowa without permission (Source: -image attached - retrieved via Public Access to Court Electronic Records | PACER: Federal Court Records image attached)
9/2/10 Case filed in Sioux County, IA (Other Judgement) https://www.iowacourts.state.ia.us/ESAWebApp/TIndexFrm
12/5/10: left halfway house and did not return (Source: image attached - retrieved via Public Access to Court Electronic Records | PACER: Federal Court Records - image attached)
12/6/10: Warrant issued for return to custody (Source: Public Access to Court Electronic Records | PACER: Federal Court Records- image attached)
1/12/11: Memorandum in request of release (Source: Public Access to Court Electronic Records | PACER: Federal Court Records - image attached)
1/18/2011: appears he was paroled (Source: Public Access to Court Electronic Records | PACER: Federal Court Records - image attached)

Appears he may have been out on supervised release during this time and the request below was a hearing on leaving the state? JMO???
If anyone has found a credible source that shows something different please update.

10/8/2015: Parole hearing (appears granted to transition to Indiana) (Post #288) https://boardsandcommissions.sd.gov/bcuploads/ParoleBoardDecisionsOctober2015.pdf

<GAP in info>

1/26/2016: Updated profile pic on Facebook

3/14/16: released on OR bond in Tippecanoe County, IN Indiana Supreme Court public access case search - MyCase

5/4/16
: Failure to appear Tippecanoe County, IN Indiana Supreme Court public access case search - MyCase

7/20/16 Operating Intoxicated (Kokomo, IN): Police reports July 20, 2016
1/26/2017 Case in Sioux County, IA (Case Dismissed) https://www.iowacourts.state.ia.us/ESAWebApp/TIndexFrm
9/24/19 (Post # 253) Protective Order (Miami County, IN): Search Protective Orders and No Contact Orders
7/21/20 (Post #253) Protective Order (Tippecanoe, IN): Search Protective Orders and No Contact Orders
8/10/20 - criminal trespassing and public intoxication (Indiana Supreme Court public access case search - MyCase)

4/21/21 - arrest in current case (79D04-2104-MC-000408) public.courts.in.gov

Thank you so much for putting in the time and research into this detailed report.

On his FB page he posts about getting his dogs back and how happy he was about it. He doesn’t say why he was separated from them. I wonder could one or more of his dogs bit someone or been accused of biting someone? And then his dogs were taken away while the situation was investigated?

Fast forward, he gets his dogs back. The poor little girl he assaulted, perhaps she was playing with or petting his dogs and one of them bit or attacked her. In a panic, he grabs her and takes her inside or maybe she already in his house. He knows he can’t let anyone find out that one of his dogs bit/attacked her. His dogs will go away for good. Would he be willing to kill a human to keep his dogs?

Not sure how he gets from there to sexual assault, but just thinking maybe this is what started the whole thing. Maybe not a premeditated plan to assault and kill.

Don’t get me wrong, his actions are awful and inexcusable! Just trying to think what may have kicked off this chain of events.

Yes, and someone also replied to his post about getting his dogs back that they were “surprised”, iirc.

Eta I do not think he just happened to sexually assault her after an incident, idk, who knows. Chances are he’s been thinking about if for a while, jmo. I’m assuming he’d seen her before? Maybe not.

Here’s another thought, upon a cursory scroll of his FB the other night - he seems more, and I’m having trouble finding the right now, um, “emotional?” than I’d expect a violent pedo file to be...hard to explain. We know one only portrays a side of themself that they want seen...hard to explain what I’m getting it, he appears to be somewhat of a “romantic”, gah can’t find the word. We know he’s a monster. Maybe it’s the element of the depression he references. I hate to use the word “sensitive”, because that it is FAR from the truth as we know...I’ll think about this more and try to rephrase exactly it is that I’m trying to say. It was one of my first impressions, melancholy? Gah can’t think of what I’m trying to say. Let me put it this way, when I think of certain other predators, I wouldn’t think about one with romantic tendencies, (not the word I’m looking for), again it’s hard to explain. Sorry if this makes no sense.

Here’s another thing that bothers me, because it speaks to my own hinky meter in real life...well let me ask you guys this: IF you came across his FB randomly, before he was charged of course, would you think that guy is a violent pedophile? I don’t think I would, meaning, it’s only when you examine it within the context and known actions that it’s easier to see potential flags...he obviously had some friends, some girlfriends, played guitar, talked about bands like Pink Floyd and Type O, posted food pics of bachelor foods with the Raman noodle hormel velveeta potato chip casserole...I guess what I’m saying is these people don’t always wear a sticker on their forehead that says “I’m a predator”. If I randomly came across his Facebook, I’m not sure I would’ve picked up on him being one who has been incarcerated much of his life for violent actions...I mean yes, he referenced beating up an intruder, and yes there were the bullet pics...I guess it just really creeps me out that you really don’t know about people. Some may look at his Facebook and say wow, this man is a dog lover, idk...again, I’m not saying he comes off as Beaver Cleaver, but upon a first glance, without knowing his criminal background, if we weren’t evaluating his FB based on his known actions...Think about this, his FB has been up for years, I’m not sure if he ever came up on anyone’s radar.
I have no doubt the man is sick. I'm not going to feel sorry for him after what he's done over the years, but he certainly does not seem stable. He's dangerous. If I didn't know how he'd allegedly behaved prior to looking at his Facebook, I still would have thought he was unstable. He's 42 going on 18, unashamed, emotionally all over the place... JMO

Makes me want to cry.

Indeed. It's unthinkable what this lovely precious child may have suffered with him staring down at her with those penetrating lying eyes and the ferocious dog barking then biting her.

It's just an assumption, but I strongly feel this little girl may be heavily sedated for a while so when she is able to handle the emotional trauma and cope with the physical pain a bit easier, then she can be released from being under urgent medical care.

We'll pray for her peace to be fully restored as soon as possible.

Here’s another thought, upon a cursory scroll of his FB the other night - he seems more, and I’m having trouble finding the right word right now, um, “emotional?” than I’d expect a violent pedofile to be...hard to explain. We know one only portrays a side of themself that they want seen...hard to explain what I’m getting it, he appears to be somewhat of a “romantic”, gah can’t find the word. We know he’s a monster. Maybe it’s the element of the depression he references. I hate to use the word “sensitive”, because that it is FAR from the truth as we know...I’ll think about this more and try to rephrase exactly it is that I’m trying to say. It was one of my first impressions, melancholy? Gah can’t think of what I’m trying to say. Let me put it this way, when I think of certain other predators, I wouldn’t think about one with romantic tendencies, (not the word I’m looking for), again it’s hard to explain. Sorry if this makes no sense.

Here’s another thing that bothers me, because it speaks to my own hinky meter in real life...well let me ask you guys this: IF you came across his FB randomly, before he was charged of course, would you think that guy is a violent pedophile? I don’t think I would, meaning, it’s only when you examine it within the context and known actions that it’s easier to see potential flags and things in hindsight...he obviously had some friends, some girlfriends, played guitar, talked about bands like Pink Floyd and Type O, posted food pics of bachelor foods with the Raman noodle hormel velveeta potato chip casserole...I guess what I’m saying is these people don’t always wear a sticker on their forehead that says “I’m a predator”. If I randomly came across his Facebook, I’m not sure I would’ve picked up on him being one who has been incarcerated much of his life for violent actions...I mean yes, he referenced beating up an intruder, and yes there were the bullet injury pics (did we ever figure out what that was all about?)...I guess it just really creeps me out that you really don’t know about people. Some may look at his Facebook and say wow, this man is a dog lover, idk...again, I’m not saying he comes off as Beaver Cleaver, but upon a first glance, without knowing his criminal background, if we weren’t evaluating his FB based on his known actions...Think about this, his FB has been up for years, I’m not sure if he ever came up on anyone’s radar.
Relatable is the word that comes to my mind for some of his posts, and that scares me. If I’d seen a post from some guy I knew joking about how he must be getting old because the Amazon order arriving is exciting now, as he did, well I would have nodded my head. Yup. Enough of his other posts would have made me dislike him but many were normal, relatable, and SEEMED made with emotional vulnerability. So much less alarming than the potential POI I looked at on FB days before. Uggh. Ick. I can’t trust my own alarm system, I guess. So many twisted angry guys out there. Gotta remember most are good.

Here’s another thought, upon a cursory scroll of his FB the other night - he seems more, and I’m having trouble finding the right now, um, “emotional?” than I’d expect a violent pedo file to be...hard to explain. We know one only portrays a side of themself that they want seen...hard to explain what I’m getting it, he appears to be somewhat of a “romantic”, gah can’t find the word. We know he’s a monster. Maybe it’s the element of the depression he references. I hate to use the word “sensitive”, because that it is FAR from the truth as we know...I’ll think about this more and try to rephrase exactly it is that I’m trying to say. It was one of my first impressions, melancholy? Gah can’t think of what I’m trying to say. Let me put it this way, when I think of certain other predators, I wouldn’t think about one with romantic tendencies, (not the word I’m looking for), again it’s hard to explain. Sorry if this makes no sense.

Here’s another thing that bothers me, because it speaks to my own hinky meter in real life...well let me ask you guys this: IF you came across his FB randomly, before he was charged of course, would you think that guy is a violent pedophile? I don’t think I would, meaning, it’s only when you examine it within the context and known actions that it’s easier to see potential flags...he obviously had some friends, some girlfriends, played guitar, talked about bands like Pink Floyd and Type O, posted food pics of bachelor foods with the Raman noodle hormel velveeta potato chip casserole...I guess what I’m saying is these people don’t always wear a sticker on their forehead that says “I’m a predator”. If I randomly came across his Facebook, I’m not sure I would’ve picked up on him being one who has been incarcerated much of his life for violent actions...I mean yes, he referenced beating up an intruder, and yes there were the bullet pics...I guess it just really creeps me out that you really don’t know about people. Some may look at his Facebook and say wow, this man is a dog lover, idk...again, I’m not saying he comes off as Beaver Cleaver, but upon a first glance, without knowing his criminal background, if we weren’t evaluating his FB based on his known actions...Think about this, his FB has been up for years, I’m not sure if he ever came up on anyone’s radar.

I agree. We wouldn't be FB friends, but if I found his page and skimmed through I'd probably just think he was another struggling person with some dubious elements in his past, but he appears to be trying to do better and acknowledge his issues. Self absorbed, repetitive, a few crass posts – but none of it really blares "dangerous!" at me.

This is why I'm leery of significant interaction with wholly unknown people on my social media. (She says, talking to a bunch of unknown people on Websleuths. :rolleyes: ) And I really don't understand why the majority of people on Facebook don't even bother to filter their posts, at least to the friends-only level. The only things I post without filters are strictly PSA-type material, and even that can be fraught with the potential for unwanted commentary.

Sorry if this has been answered. His FB has check in's from Kokomo, Indiana, including Trinity House. Check 'em out on FB.
Thank you.

He references local bars and liquor stores losing a lot of business with his sobriety.

“Local bars” - this reminds me of PF arrested in Kristen Smart’s case. LE said PF is suspected of other sexual assaults, as he frequented bars.

I haven’t gone in for TikTok yet, maybe later, but in context of the date rape discussion here, “local bars” potentially stood out to me.

*Eta: PF is an example of one who had a strong history of inappropriate behavior towards women, MANY who found him creepy and were not surprised AT ALL when he was named in the KS case. I’m still trying to figure out how people viewed him, what signs he gave off of being a predator, if any (sans his criminal history).

Last edited:
He wears a variety of caps and hats in his pictures, but one that stood out to me is the red and white beanie hat that appears to say ‘Steinberg Construction’. A former employer, perhaps? There’s a company with that name in GA and another in WA.

Unfortunately I can’t see any dates on the posts, but the photo looks as though it was taken in a tent, and it’s just below a series of pictures of woods and creeks.

I agree. We wouldn't be FB friends, but if I found his page and skimmed through I'd probably just think he was another struggling person with some dubious elements in his past, but he appears to be trying to do better and acknowledge his issues. Self absorbed, repetitive, a few crass posts – but none of it really blares "dangerous!" at me.

This is why I'm leery of significant interaction with wholly unknown people on my social media. (She says, talking to a bunch of unknown people on Websleuths. :rolleyes: ) And I really don't understand why the majority of people on Facebook don't even bother to filter their posts, at least to the friends-only level. The only things I post without filters are strictly PSA-type material, and even that can be fraught with the potential for unwanted commentary.

Another thing to keep in mind, if he is of guilty of other nefarious things, perhaps hiding in plain sight, social media would also be used as a potential cover of sorts, say for example, being a dog lover, or...hard to explain what I mean again. I guess what I’m saying is he may be posting in such a way as to appear opposite than he really is. Sorry I’m not very eloquent today.

He wears a variety of caps and hats in his pictures, but one that stood out to me is the red and white beanie hat that appears to say ‘Steinberg Construction’. A former employer, perhaps? There’s a company with that name in GA and another in WA.

Unfortunately I can’t see any dates on the posts, but the photo looks as though it was taken in a tent, and it’s just below a series of pictures of woods and creeks.
On his FB, under "Work," he lists "Welder/fabricator/laborer" at "Steinbergers Construction in Logansport, IN" from "April 6, 2021 to Present" and writes that he was one of the four in the "four high crew" that did repairs on the Haynes Int'l Bldg after tornado damage.

ETA: On that company's website, they don't have the "s" at the end.

On his FB, under "Work," he lists "Welder/fabricator/laborer" at "Steinbergers Construction in Logansport, IN" from "April 6, 2021 to Present" and writes that he was one of the four in the "four high crew" that did repairs on the Haynes Int'l Bldg after tornado damage.

Ah, thank you. I remember someone mentioned the working-at-heights thing.

No, I know exactly what you mean, and had the same thoughts. He sometimes comes across as "relatable," and reminds me a bit of guys I know who are NOT criminal predators. So maybe a certain sociopathic "charm?"

Another thing to keep in mind, if he is of guilty of other nefarious things, perhaps hiding in plain sight, social media would also be used as a potential cover of sorts, say for example, being a dog lover, or...hard to explain what I mean again. I guess what I’m saying is he may be posting in such a way as to appear opposite than he really is. Sorry I’m not very eloquent today.

No, I know exactly what you mean, and had the same thoughts. He sometimes comes across as "relatable," and reminds me a bit of guys I know who are NOT criminal predators. So maybe a certain sociopathic "charm?"

Thank you. Yes, relatable in some ways, and reminds me of some guys I know, thank you. This is what is creeping me out, I think, bc I can just see myself talking to him in a bar, like I talk to everybody, “Pink Floyd man, I like your shirt...oh, you play guitar dude? Cool...what tats are you getting next”...but that’s just me. I said the same thing about Chris Watts.

I need to quit being so trusting, not that I go to bars anymore...

Eta: My instincts are pretty good though once I start talking to someone. He may have creeped me out once we started talking.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member