Identified! IN - Lake Village, 'Adam' 999UMIN - Larry Eyler victim, Oct'83 - Keith Lavell Bibbs

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Seems like Eyler had an unknown victim himself, just like the Number Six Lady in the Barrel, @madamx , called "Cowboy":

In early April 1984, a teenage drifter called Cowboy disappeared from the streets of uptown Chicago Sometime after that, a homeless person found a pale human hand while going through a trash dumpster behind Eyler's apartment. He ran to the nearest phone and called 911, but he sounded sufficiently unstable that the police dispatcher thought he was a lunatic or a joker and hung up on him.
Pirates, Prisoners, and Lepers

Oh, how infuriating!

Adding additional sources:
Cowboy
Freed to Kill
EYLER'S CONFESSION USED TO RESOLVE '83 KILLING IN THORNTON TOWNSHIP

Btw, does Cowboy have a WS thread? His body is long gone, and the unidentified.wiki link mentions he only exist as a missing persons case, but he still needs to be identified by his true name and not the alias (although that would probably never happen since the body is lost and most likely will not be recovered).

I created Cowboy's page on the wiki.

''Not much is known about this victim. He was allegedly a white teenage male prostitute from Uptown Chicago, possibly a drifter. He now only exists as a missing person report. His severed hand and any other remains from those garbage bags are now buried in a sanitation landfill in southwest suburban Hillside.''

These are all my words and I wanted to sound poetic. The costs of recovering his body would be exorbitant, literally mountains of trash would have to be dug up, and even so, he'd very likely slip away due to the sheer amount of earth and trashbags that would have to be searched.

Seems like Eyler had an unknown victim himself, just like the Number Six Lady in the Barrel, @madamx , called "Cowboy":

Pirates, Prisoners, and Lepers

Oh, how infuriating!

Adding additional sources:
Cowboy
Freed to Kill
EYLER'S CONFESSION USED TO RESOLVE '83 KILLING IN THORNTON TOWNSHIP

Btw, does Cowboy have a WS thread? His body is long gone, and the unidentified.wiki link mentions he only exist as a missing persons case, but he still needs to be identified by his true name and not the alias (although that would probably never happen since the body is lost and most likely will not be recovered).

Omg this is crazy. Eyler has his own barrel lady too omg.. Ok iam officially floored..yeah I saw that quote in the article and was wondering who were the others unidentified guys . BUT I never crossed my mind he would have his own version of Rifkin Barrel Lady OMG Mrs Badcrumble !!!!

Mrs Badcrumble.. I think you have to give the Cowboy a WS thread!!!! ..

I can’t believe the cops never came for the guy that called in the hand?!!
Makes you wonder how many other people were dismissed as nut jobs if and when they called cops about a body or body part they found.
Oh this is so disturbing.

I need to find out more info on this poor cowboy guy. .. I think him and that barrel lady bother me the most ugh. Thanks for spotting that guy.

I created Cowboy's page on the wiki.

''Not much is known about this victim. He was allegedly a white teenage male prostitute from Uptown Chicago, possibly a drifter. He now only exists as a missing person report. His severed hand and any other remains from those garbage bags are now buried in a sanitation landfill in southwest suburban Hillside.''

These are all my words and I wanted to sound poetic. The costs of recovering his body would be exorbitant, literally mountains of trash would have to be dug up, and even so, he'd very likely slip away due to the sheer amount of earth and trashbags that would have to be searched.

Thank you jovansrna for creating the wiki page! Thank you for keeping him alive in some way.

I wonder where the name Cowboy came from? If it was his or a name used to identify him? If it was his name could it be a clue to where he came from? Cowboy because he came from a farm or from Texas or wore a cowboy hat?

Lots of people were doing on the street photography in the 80s in Chicago. Might be worth a look to see if any of the photographers captured and catalogued their work from Uptown in the 80s. "Cowboy" may be caught on film.

You can give the Chicago Historical Society (Chicago History Museum archives) a call to see if they have any collections from that era and neighborhood, or if they know the names of photographers working that area during the time.

Here's a link to a photographer working there in the 70s. Taking a Look at Uptown 40 Years Ago
Uptown was a hunting ground for Gacy too, and one of the photos posted is of a child who's older brother was a victim of Gacy's.

Last edited:
Speaking of film. I wonder about Littles snuff films and photos? Iam surprised they never took stills of the guys in the films they took from Creepy Dr Little. That would be a way to try and identify the guys. Iam surprised they never even showed any stills to the public to help identify the guys.

To Solve 3 Cold Cases, This Small County Got a DNA Crash Course
This article about Newton County and the DNA Doe Project mentions that they're struggling with Adam's genetic profile.

"His long-stored genetic sample was sequenced at HudsonAlpha and uploaded to GEDMatch, but was not robust enough to return any good matches. The team is planning to enlist a lab specializing in ancient organisms to extract a new sample of DNA from the bones."

Composite drawing of what ‘Adam’, unidentified murder victim, would’ve looked like in 1983. He was also known as ‘Victim A’, or ‘Victim 3’.
Adam had been a young black teen, about 15–18 years old (born around 1964–68). It is suspected that he may have been as old as his early twenties. Adam had been about 5’8”, to 6’2”. Adam had had multiple fillings throughout his life. His hair had been cut quite short.

Adam had been wearing a red and black belt that had the word ‘devil’ written on it multiple times, and a buckle that had the word ‘jeans’ written on it. An assortment of clothes had been found with his body — a pair of jeans, pyjama bottoms, and a pair of Hush Puppies boots, with metal buckles on either side.

For years, authorities tried to determine who the two unidentified murder victims were. The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children created composite drawings of the victims, an approximation of what they would’ve looked like. These were done by a forensic anthropologist. The victims were suspected of being in their teens, to early twenties.
1656964834883.png
These drawings, which get released to the public, are crucial in the investigation — as often a member of the public will recognize a missing friend or loved one from the composite drawings (or digital reconstructions), and can identify the victim. By giving the victim a face, authorities can hopefully discover their identity. Unfortunately, the composite images didn’t produce any results.

Thomas Houlihan, "Coroner: Victims may be hitchhikers," Times [Munster, IN], 21 October 1983, A1, A12.
[part 1] [part 2]
Coroner_ Victims may be hitchhikers,_ pt. 1.jpg
Coroner_ Victims may be hitchhikers,_ pt. 2.jpg
Three of the bodies were discovered Tuesday night by a Lowell man and woman as they hunted for mushrooms in a wooded area behind an abandoned farmhouse just west of U.S. 41 and a mile south of the Kankakee River.

A fourth body was discovered Wednesday.

All four victims were found with their trousers below their knees, leading investigators to speculate the deaths were sex-related. The victims were in various stages of decomposition and were buried under a thin layer of dirt.

Dennis has described the burial site as "ritualistic."

"You would agree if you'd seen it," he said. "The heads were all pointed in the same direction. The feet were all stuck up in the air the same way. This was done by someone following a set procedure -- someone who kept going back to the same spot and finding energy in doing this."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elementpro
Back