IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 - #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
(respectfully snipped)

Do you feel the same way about information discussed on an internet forum like WS? Not being snarky, I'm just curious as to what the difference might be, if the issue is exposure. As far as I know, TG hasn't posted the names or personal information of anyone who hasn't been discussed here, whereas recent posts here (quoting JW's brother, for ex.) have raised similar ethical questions...

Exactly. Tony hasn't done anything that many on WS haven't done. Can we stop nitpicking?

List of POI
JW
JR
JR friend (unidentified)
CR
MB
DR

(modsnip)
(modsnip)
(modsnip)
??????

(respectfully snipped)

Do you feel the same way about information discussed on an internet forum like WS? Not being snarky, I'm just curious as to what the difference might be, if the issue is exposure. As far as I know, TG hasn't posted the names or personal information of anyone who hasn't been discussed in MSM, whereas recent posts here (quoting JW's brother, for ex.) have raised similar ethical questions...

Not really because we are a message board, not a news site. I was nitpicking on TG because I was treating him as a media site, later I realized he is just blogging about the case - which means he is able to say whatever he wants.

I haven't seen of us posting picture/name of Lauren's friends... what we posted about JW's brother was on a message board, like this one. His name remained anonymous.

The full statement:
http://www.idsnews.com/news/story.aspx?id=82030

“Counsels for Mr. Jason Rosenbaum stress that Mr. Rosenbaum has fully cooperated with the investigation of the disappearance of Lauren Spierer and will continue to do so. He has provided full statements to the police and passed a polygraph that has also been provided to the authorities. Mr. Rosenbaum hopes for nothing less than Lauren to be found and to be safe. Again, Mr. Rosenbaum provided cooperation as soon as requested by the authorities and continues to do so. In the interest of protecting the investigation, he desires to not provide any additional statement or comment to the press, directly or through counsel.”

I remember that and my view is that it was sloppy reporting. I think it was a reference to the incident with CR where CR was punched.

What is of interest as you note is that the nature of that argument has never been revealed, nor have the people who hit CR been identified. LE knows who they are, but why wont' they say? The speculation was for a long time that it had something to do with them defending JW's love interests. But I think it was something else. What? The statements from the beginning were to attack CR's character about how he was on the List of people not allowed at smallwood, etc... Yet no specific reason given for his assault. I do find it odd that CR remains quiet about that too.
yes, he's quiet, but his lawyer did allude to his being punched as the reason for his memory loss. But as of that statement, CR still didn't have a drs verification. IMO, I see this as a case of having his cake and eating it too. I'm guessing the video shows him getting hit pretty hard. After thinking about it, I too have wondered why he was hit, This group of people, who aren't exactly famous for being forthcoming, were real quick to offer up the defense of JW's honor as the reason. I'm not sure that CR being banned wasn't at least part of the reason. He and LS leaving so quickly, gives me the impression, anyway, that he was being kicked out. Have we ever heard if the banning was 'official', or if it was something the tenants kind of enforced? When my niece was about 19, she and her bf were in charge of a big dorm at the university of Texas. They were nothing but a couple of kids and I can see how they might have let personal feelings interfere with their jobs.MOO.

Perhaps, JR did not submit DNA samples after all (Believe I read some MSM reports yesterday that said he had.):

Voyles did not respond to messages left inquiring whether his client had submitted DNA samples...

DNA samples have been collected from some of the persons of interest, according to the Bloomington police department.

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 at 5:32PM

http://abcnewsradioonline.com/national-news/

Addressing questions here regarding the areas that have been searched.

"Qualters said that volunteer searches have covered the vast majority of Monroe County, including very focused searches in areas within a five mile radius of where Lauren was last seen. Qualters said that most areas within a ten mile radius have also been searched."

http://idsnews.com/news/story.aspx?id=82031

"The search effort for Lauren Spierer and for any evidence related to her disappearance will transition to those that are based on investigative leads," Capt. Joe Qualters said in a statement Tuesday. "This transition means that search efforts will be directed by specific information obtained through investigative leads rather than conducting general searches covering large areas."
http://www.theindychannel.com/news/28386919/detail.html

Actually Lauren had a longer period of steady searching than most cases, even Kyron. They searched for 11 days or so in a row for him, and since then it has been only based on either "tips" or possibly ping data they later discovered or interpreted. Hailey Dunn the same, maybe two weeks or so, some landfills, and no new searches for a long time. We could be entering an even more depressing and frustrating stage now, that could last weeks or months, of hearing nothing much at all.

Look at Kyron and Hailey's cases... both are pretty much "cold" now. It saddens me to keep seeing this happen to so many families.

A local Church is holding a prayer service tonight. I sure hope it has a positive outcome for her parents. I saw them both on Saturday and they are very determined to find her and seem to have energy to maintain the search center & physically search for Lauren for forever. I am sure people were donating food items, but in one interview Charlene said she could feel Lauren's presence at Kroger, which tells me she was helping feed the searchers. They are very generous, thoughtful, and appreciative. My point is, I think scaling down the search efforts will be very hard for them to accept.
My heart breaks for them.

In defense of ...................

...........Poor HT. She changes her story every time she opens her mouth. She takes pictures and smiles for and seeks out the cameras every chance she gets.
Poor HT.

All these poor, poor people.

This is so wrong. I mean targeting HT is so wrong and without any basis. She had obviously nothing to do with her disappearance and she just repeated a version of events that she heard from one of the POIs, who happened to be her friend. There are several people who by now I am convinced that they had nothing to do with the case and, certainly, HT is one of them. I really dont understand the focus on her by some. It makes no sense.

Someone who fully cooperates with a police investigation does not provide statements.They allow themselves to be interviewed when ever the police feel the need.They also do not provide there own polygraph test.They allow the police at the very least to be present when the test is given and with an examiner that their lawyer and the police agree on.Sounds like this kid needs a high priced PR firm to go along with his high priced lawyer.

Someone who fully cooperates with a police investigation does not provide statements.They allow themselves to be interviewed when ever the police feel the need.They also do not provide there own polygraph test.They allow the police at the very least to be present when the test is given and with an examiner that their lawyer and the police agree on.Sounds like this kid needs a high priced PR firm to go along with his high priced lawyer.

Amen! We were discussing this last night.

A 'statement' is not as beneficial to LE as an interview. (But, it certainly is a lot safer for the POI :rolleyes:)

Don't even get me started on the 'providing your own polygraph.

Thanks for the full story. While I fully understand the protocol taken, I'm not sure that I feel that a "statement" equates to being fully cooperative. This is a general statement that he signs, giving his account for the evening. LE may have specific questions that they'd like to ask of him. Not having the opportunity to interview JR limits them to just a statement, which includes only what JR wants to include. It doesn't open up the opportunity for LE to read his body language (which trust me, they are trained to do). It doesn't offer opportunity for follow-up. Also, regarding the lie detector test....this was "provided" to LE? I would be curious who comprised the questions? It appears that this was taken at his hometown, not at IU, since it was "provided". Therefore it's questionable to me. Again, while I fully understand why anyone in his position would go to these measures, I would stop short at saying he has been fully cooperative.

Hi all,

I have been reading the posts on here for a while but haven't posted much myself. I wanted to bring up a few things that I read about a few pages back:

1) (modsnip) - earlier there was discussion on here about how close he and JW are. I have read rumors about him on other boards and apparently some people believe they were in the same fraternity, and I'm not sure where that rumor came from. As far as I know, he was kicked out of a different fraternity earlier in college, and was never associated with JW's fraternity. Typically once one has been initiated into one North-American Interfraternity Council chapter they are not allowed to become initiated into another one. Unless he was somehow viewed as an "unofficial member", I do not think he and JW were ever in the same fraternity.

Out of curiosity I looked at (modsnip) Facebook page and was able to view hundreds of photos of him. JW and the other named POIs did not appear in any of those photos. (modsnip) is in probably half of the photos with him, though. They appear to be very good friends. Additionally, when I searched his friends list of over 1700 "friends", none of the people discussed in this case show up as friends - not JW, not LS, HT, CR, DR, MB, or JR. It doesn't appear to me that he is as close with this social circle as the rumors have led people to believe. Obviously this is just my opinion based on looking at pictures and a friend list. It is also possible that some of those people have blocked their profiles so that they don't show up in a search of someone's friends.

2) Fraternity hazing in a wooded area - I was a student at IU in the early 2000s and formerly worked at the university. I was in a sorority at IU and I know a lot about the Greek system at this particular university. Almost every fraternity (and even some sororities) do this type of ritual 'hazing' where pledges are driven to a secluded area and forced to find their way back to the house. Knowing the Bloomington area very well, I am almost certain that the public searches for LS that have taken place have covered any and all areas where pledges might have been driven and dropped off at some point.

3) Regarding the "arcade" - this is a confusing term to me. 10th & College (the official name of that particular apartment complex) has businesses on the street level, including a salon (whose employees have been quoted in MSM), clothing stores, and a few restaurants I believe. Above that level it is all apartments. There is no arcade in this building, unless someone is referring to the breezeway in front of the businesses as an 'arcade' instead of 'breezeway'. Can anyone clarify where the arcade term came from?

I just wanted to add this information in case it helps clarify any of the previous questions that were asked on those topics.

3) Regarding the "arcade" - this is a confusing term to me. 10th & College (the official name of that particular apartment complex) has businesses on the street level, including a salon (whose employees have been quoted in MSM), clothing stores, and a few restaurants I believe. Above that level it is all apartments. There is no arcade in this building, unless someone is referring to the breezeway in front of the businesses as an 'arcade' instead of 'breezeway'. Can anyone clarify where the arcade term came from?

Yes, an arcade is also a covered passageway, which is what folks should be referring to. There are security cams at the north and south "entrances". The sidewalk is to the east and continues downhill along side the building, so that the north end is even with the sidewalk, but the south end has several stairs to get down to the sidewalk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ghosty_gal