IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 #26

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been thinking a lot about Lauren's case lately. Over the summer I was extremely frustrated with how little information the police were putting out, feeling that by trying to protect the case, they were losing the opportunity to put pressure on the POIs or generate leads.

I've started to appreciate how important it can be to keep some things back in light of the Eve Carson case. At the time I was really puzzled about why that the police hadn't released more -- after all, the suspects were in custody and it had been over three years since the murder. What new could be coming to light? I continued to feel that way until her trial started. But during the trial it became evident that witnesses -- some with testimony that completely fit the facts of the case -- were still divulging information practically up to the time of the trial. The fact that many informants knew things that were only known to the police and the killers until after the informants had been interviewed -- like the balance of Carson's bank account -- was no doubt crucial in securing a conviction.

Anyway, I felt compelled to post something. I've been thinking of Lauren but it seems like there is so little information left to pick over. No doubt there are some things that could be released, but the police may have good reasons for not releasing, for example, the surveillance video. As a concerned citizen I want to help and I want more information, but Carson's case has really made me understand the importance of holding some things back.

Thinking of Lauren and wishing her family could bring her home.

I've been thinking a lot about Lauren's case lately. Over the summer I was extremely frustrated with how little information the police were putting out, feeling that by trying to protect the case, they were losing the opportunity to put pressure on the POIs or generate leads.

I've started to appreciate how important it can be to keep some things back in light of the Eve Carson case. At the time I was really puzzled about why that the police hadn't released more -- after all, the suspects were in custody and it had been over three years since the murder. What new could be coming to light? I continued to feel that way until her trial started. But during the trial it became evident that witnesses -- some with testimony that completely fit the facts of the case -- were still divulging information practically up to the time of the trial. The fact that many informants knew things that were only known to the police and the killers until after the informants had been interviewed -- like the balance of Carson's bank account -- was no doubt crucial in securing a conviction.

Anyway, I felt compelled to post something. I've been thinking of Lauren but it seems like there is so little information left to pick over. No doubt there are some things that could be released, but the police may have good reasons for not releasing, for example, the surveillance video. As a concerned citizen I want to help and I want more information, but Carson's case has really made me understand the importance of holding some things back.

True but in Eve's case at least LE had the suspects off the streets quickly, if I remember correctly. In Lauren's case, if LE has ideas or even evidence as to who took/harmed Lauren, they might get further along by sharing something, so the public might be of help in getting enough for arrest(s). I don't get the impression from Lauren's parents that LE is ready to make an arrest, for example, or even is close. Also, the same with Holly's case; LE is sharing NOTHING. Is this because there is nothing? I fear so.

My concern: LE may have lacked a level of seriousness, not to mention experience, in the first 24-48 hours which resulted in missed opportunities ranging from gathering evidence and asking the right questions to observing the boys in a lie, etc. before they got their lawyers.

In my mental scenario, I see the police responding to the MP report as they mosey on over to 5 North, knock on the door, have a chat, take some names, and on their ride back to headquarters they talk to each other about kids and drinking, drugging, and sex...how she probably went home with someone or passed out somewhere and will show up by the end of the day...just like many other kids on a Thursday night in Bloomington.

The fact that it took law enforcement there 4 mnths to bust someone w/ 20 xanaxs doesnt give me much confidence in their abilities.

I lost a close family member this week-much to soon-a freak accident. It hurts bad enough enough knowing that Shes gone-its couldnt imagine not knowing what happened to her. I couldnt imagine not being able to lay her to rest&say my goodbyes.
Laurens family was robbed of many many yrs with their child&now they r being robbed of finding some sort of peace;closure(if Thats even possible).
my heart aches for the Spierers-now more than ever b4. I cant believe its now been over 7 months. I pray they have continued strength&the support of us all. Most of all, i pray for an end to this nightmare.

I lost a close family member this week-much to soon-a freak accident. It hurts bad enough enough knowing that Shes gone-its couldnt imagine not knowing what happened to her. I couldnt imagine not being able to lay her to rest&say my goodbyes.
Laurens family was robbed of many many yrs with their child&now they r being robbed of finding some sort of peace;closure(if Thats even possible).
my heart aches for the Spierers-now more than ever b4. I cant believe its now been over 7 months. I pray they have continued strength&the support of us all. Most of all, i pray for an end to this nightmare.

I am sorry for your loss, cspring!

You're in my thoughts, cspring. Sudden losses are tough, I know. I hope the Spierers find the closure you describe sooner vs. later ...

True but in Eve's case at least LE had the suspects off the streets quickly, if I remember correctly. In Lauren's case, if LE has ideas or even evidence as to who took/harmed Lauren, they might get further along by sharing something, so the public might be of help in getting enough for arrest(s). I don't get the impression from Lauren's parents that LE is ready to make an arrest, for example, or even is close. Also, the same with Holly's case; LE is sharing NOTHING. Is this because there is nothing? I fear so.

Lets' say JR did say he saw LS go to the corner. If so
1 this is a random abduction
2 he knows who she was going to the corner to meet and will not say
3 it is a lie and CR MB JR conspired to hide LS
4 it is a lie and JR hid LS alone or with guest or DD

I would hope LE has firm evidence that indicates 2, 3 or 4 to justify that LE is not out on a manhunt for number 1.
-holly

Lets' say JR did say he saw LS go to the corner. If so
1 this is a random abduction
2 he knows who she was going to the corner to meet and will not say
3 it is a lie and CR MB JR conspired to hide LS
4 it is a lie and JR hid LS alone or with guest or DD

I would hope LE has firm evidence that indicates 2, 3 or 4 to justify that LE is not out on a manhunt for number 1.
-holly

I'm sure there are other possibilities besides just those 4. For one thing, maybe someone she knew or had recently met was waiting on her. Maybe an argument ensued. Maybe they went elsewhere to party. Maybe they abducted her for reasons unknown and so it wasn't random.

I'm sure the list could go on. You'd think it couldn't but the fact there's been no arrests and the rumor mill seems awfully quiet would indicate to me that everything along these lines would have to be in play until it can be eliminated.

But I agree with the premise that if the police can't eliminate random abduction then they should at least be giving it some serious weight.

So did the Spierer's mean to imply they are clearing JR but not CR or did the reporter just unintentionally imply that (or think that)?

Because how do you clear JR (or MB) and not clear CR without suspecting or knowing something that's contrary to everything reported?

Thought only LE could say someone is or isn't a POI.

Having spoken to a friend of the Spierers, I got the distinct impression that they truly have no idea what happened to sweet Lauren. IMPO...LE doesn't either. Where can she be? It's just heartbreaking.

Can I ask a question to those who live in Bloomington or attended IU last year? This is a bit off topic from the most recent conversation about the POIs, but a few comments above made me think of an old post.

A while ago, I came across an article in IDS (From March 2011) about a string of violent robberies that targeted IU students walking home from bars late at night:

The suspects appeared to target female IU students who were walking home from the downtown area late at night, or from other areas students might frequent, such as restaurants or apartment complexes, according to the release.

Here is the article: http://www.idsnews.com/news/story.aspx?id=80315 and here is the post in which I mentioned it: [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7293442&postcount=726"]http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7293442&postcount=726[/ame]

I was interested in finding out more -- about this story specifically, but also to get an idea of the public/ police reaction to it, but I don't have a subscription to the Bloomington newspaper site and couldn't find anything else.

I have no idea what crime in Bloomington is like, but it seems pretty scary that there were a string of increasingly violent attacks robberies and assaults involving female students late at night in a college town. Although the article describes a seemingly successful investigation and arrest of one man responsible, I am wondering:

1) Was this a big news story? I.e. were Bloomington residents aware of the string of robberies? Or the fact that a girl had her jaw broken in a violent assault? Did the police publicize the investigation while it was going on, or only after the man was arrested?

2) Were IU students warned about the robberies?

3) What happened? Was the guy convicted? What about the other person? They only mention one arrest...

Just curious whether locals were familiar with this story... thanks.

So did the Spierer's mean to imply they are clearing JR but not CR or did the reporter just unintentionally imply that (or think that)?

Because how do you clear JR (or MB) and not clear CR without suspecting or knowing something that's contrary to everything reported?

Only a guess, but I'm going to go with the reporter unintentionally implied it. I don't think the Spierers implied at all that JR was cleared (at least in the part of the clip they showed). In fact, since they did specifically mention JW and DR, I think it's significant that they did not mention the others names, except to point out that the least cooperative person is CR.

Are they putting the pressure on him just because he has refused to cooperate further, or did the information that the PI discovered (mentioned in their last interview) point back to CR in some way?

Can I ask a question to those who live in Bloomington or attended IU last year? This is a bit off topic from the most recent conversation about the POIs, but a few comments above made me think of an old post.

A while ago, I came across an article in IDS (From March 2011) about a string of violent robberies that targeted IU students walking home from bars late at night:

Here is the article: http://www.idsnews.com/news/story.aspx?id=80315 and here is the post in which I mentioned it: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7293442&postcount=726

I was interested in finding out more -- about this story specifically, but also to get an idea of the public/ police reaction to it, but I don't have a subscription to the Bloomington newspaper site and couldn't find anything else.

I have no idea what crime in Bloomington is like, but it seems pretty scary that there were a string of increasingly violent attacks robberies and assaults involving female students late at night in a college town. Although the article describes a seemingly successful investigation and arrest of one man responsible, I am wondering:

1) Was this a big news story? I.e. were Bloomington residents aware of the string of robberies? Or the fact that a girl had her jaw broken in a violent assault? Did the police publicize the investigation while it was going on, or only after the man was arrested?

2) Were IU students warned about the robberies?

3) What happened? Was the guy convicted? What about the other person? They only mention one arrest...

Just curious whether locals were familiar with this story... thanks.

Here's a link to information about the case of the man whose arrest was described in your link:
https://mycase.in.gov/CaseDetail.aspx?CaseID=7524162

And there were earlier articles in the local media , e.g.
http://www.idsnews.com/news/story.aspx?id=79683&search=robbery&section=search

And here's a link (not currently up to date) about crime activity in Bloomington. It appears that there were a number of air conditioner thefts near the time Lauren disappeared, but I don't see an obvious connection.

http://www.heraldtimesonline.com/crime/map/bloomington/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member