Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
From the IDS article:

"“In light of the issues raised in the pending motions to dismiss, as well as Defendants’ expected assertion of their Fifth Amendment rights against self-incrimination, the Court grants the Defendants’ request to stay all discovery pending rulings on those motions,” the ruling read."

This doesn't sound good to me :( I hope I'm wrong.

http://www.idsnews.com/news/story.aspx?id=93667

An accident is an accident. 2+ years later is calculated and cruel. We want to bring Lauren home. #FindLauren @NewsOnLaurenS DETERMINED!!

@charlenespierer, Aug. 28

I have a question about the timeline.

From the Spierer lawsuit, we know LS & CR went from JR's party to CR's apartment. Then

Does this mean that it was an hour after she had arrived at JR's party in the first place? Or had they been in CR's apt for an hour after the party?

Also, the document states that LS and CR left JR's party WITH A MUTUAL FRIEND and subsequently JR AND OTHERS joined them at CR's apartment.

First of all, who is this mutual friend?! And why did JR and others leave his party (was it a real party or just a handful of people drinking etc?) to go to CR's, yet not follow them to the bar? Lastly, are the "others" simply MB and DB?

Good questions.

There was an article a while back that stated that JR did go to Kilroys, so maybe everyone (including MB?) ended up there?...

I really doubt this is Lauren, but I saw this article posted on another thread. Just struck a cord with me since I immediately recognized the name of the town. It was found four miles from JR's parent's house. It's said to be the body of a young girl, there for probably about a week. Autopsy is tomorrow.

Resident discovers body in West Bloomfield pond

Two Facebook posts in my Newsfeed this morning back to back. I recommend reading the IU letter about the recent student's death.

Charlene Spierer's FB post:

"We continue to get information about the night Lauren disappeared but we are still waiting for the piece of information which will complete the puzzle and solve the mystery of what happened to our daughter. Someone knows where Lauren is and what happened the night she disappeared. Are you that person?"

Excerpt from IU officials' letter: "We call on our campus and our students to honor Rachael by dedicating themselves with their whole souls to Culture of Care. The Culture of Care effort acknowledges the certainty that students are often the only ones present when other students are in life-threatening situations. It calls on all of us to respond to those situations by erring always on the side of intervening and calling for help."

http://www.idsnews.com/news/story.aspx?id=93710

I really doubt this is Lauren, but I saw this article posted on another thread. Just struck a cord with me since I immediately recognized the name of the town. It was found four miles from JR's parent's house. It's said to be the body of a young girl, there for probably about a week. Autopsy is tomorrow.

Well that sure sent a shiver up my spine (even though simultaneously I questioned whether it was likely and even possible).

Excerpt from IU officials' letter: "We call on our campus and our students to honor Rachael by dedicating themselves with their whole souls to Culture of Care. The Culture of Care effort acknowledges the certainty that students are often the only ones present when other students are in life-threatening situations. It calls on all of us to respond to those situations by erring always on the side of intervening and calling for help."

Thanks for posting this.

I hope the discussion around the 'culture of care' extends beyond the 'life threatening' to encouraging people to take responsibility in situations that could potentially lead to dangerous or violent situations -- Like erring on the side of intervening or speaking up if you see a guy dragging an incapacitated girl away from a bar or a party.

Thanks for posting this.

I hope the discussion around the 'culture of care' extends beyond the 'life threatening' to encouraging people to take responsibility in situations that could potentially lead to dangerous or violent situations -- Like erring on the side of intervening or speaking up if you see a guy dragging an incapacitated girl away from a bar or a party.

That's a great example, Abbey. I am hoping the same thing. However, all morning I've been thinking about how extensive and integral this effort has to be in order to effect change, and I'm dubious. Of course the letter in part is PR. I am going to ask around to see what if any other communications or efforts have been made. Students don't read email from the university administration, personnel, etc.

The pond was apparently behind the local high school (West Bloomfield HS), and the body has been tentatively ID'd (no more info):

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...ool/-/1719418/21708882/-/aijkn3z/-/index.html

It definitely gave me chills, too, Jupiter, though I highly doubt there's a correlation.

That's a great example, Abbey. I am hoping the same thing. However, all morning I've been thinking about how extensive and integral this effort has to be in order to effect change, and I'm dubious. Of course the letter in part is PR. I am going to ask around to see what if any other communications or efforts have been made. Students don't read email from the university administration, personnel, etc.

There's been a big move on college campuses lately to promote bystander intervention to prevent sexual assault. The model, I think, applies more generally too and would be a good example, IMO, of a 'culture of care'. Safety programs on campus tend to warn people about things like walking home alone in the dark, and I think focusing on the role of friends and acquaintances to look out for others may be a lot more helpful.

See for ex. the tips here:
http://savp.vassar.edu/facts/bystander-intervention.html

Or this video: (One thing I often think about is how many people saw Lauren the night she disappeared and how easy it would have been for one of them to make sure she got home okay, so this hits close to home)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hE9FFvIYPg8"]Who are you? - YouTube[/ame]

(This campaign is also written about here, if anyone's interested: http://feministing.com/2013/03/26/w...tion-as-another-means-to-end-sexual-violence/)

There's been a big move on college campuses lately to promote bystander intervention to prevent sexual assault. The model, I think, applies more generally too and would be a good example, IMO, of a 'culture of care'. Safety programs on campus tend to warn people about things like walking home alone in the dark, and I think focusing on the role of friends and acquaintances to look out for others may be a lot more helpful.

See for ex. the tips here:
http://savp.vassar.edu/facts/bystander-intervention.html

Or this video: (One thing I often think about is how many people saw Lauren the night she disappeared and how easy it would have been for one of them to make sure she got home okay, so this hits close to home)

Who are you? - YouTube

(This campaign is also written about here, if anyone's interested: http://feministing.com/2013/03/26/w...tion-as-another-means-to-end-sexual-violence/)

Thanks, Abbey ... really good info. Sometimes it's hard yet so necessary to have these conversations with kids. Having something to show them is useful. I'm a little scared to send my daughter off to college, TBH. :)

IUPUI warns of date rape drugs possibly on campus

http://www.wthr.com/story/23302805/2013/08/30/iupui-warns-of-date-rape-drugs-possibly-on-campus

Police are warning students about a date rape drug possibly being sold on campus.

IUPUI police want to get the word out that these drugs are out there and they could end up in your drink or your friend's drink, if you're not carefully watching.

"It's out there. It could show up anywhere," said IUPUI Police Officer David Briggs.

Apparently it has, according to police, who said someone attempted to sell date rape drugs on campus recently.

A big sign to look for, say police, if you and your friend are drinking, and all of sudden you start to feel the effects of that alcohol come on real quick and real strong, police say that's usually a good sign you've been slipped one of these drugs in your drink

(Sorry Imkeylime, don't want to add to your fears about sending your daughter off to college. I just noticed this article and thought it was worth posting as a reminder that even in a scene where people are partying, girls who seem uncharacteristically intoxicated or out of it should be watched out for. Date rape drugs aren't a myth).

IUPUI warns of date rape drugs possibly on campus

http://www.wthr.com/story/23302805/2013/08/30/iupui-warns-of-date-rape-drugs-possibly-on-campus

(Sorry Imkeylime, don't want to add to your fears about sending your daughter off to college. I just noticed this article and thought it was worth posting as a reminder that even in a scene where people are partying, girls who seem uncharacteristically intoxicated or out of it should be watched out for. Date rape drugs aren't a myth).

It's OK, Abbey, information is power, right? Actually, I can do my share by telling my son to watch out for this with his female friends and other girls, too. I doubt it's a regional problem.

It's sad to think that we may never know if this happened to LS. It surely could have.

Two Facebook posts in my Newsfeed this morning back to back. I recommend reading the IU letter about the recent student's death.

Charlene Spierer's FB post:

"We continue to get information about the night Lauren disappeared but we are still waiting for the piece of information which will complete the puzzle and solve the mystery of what happened to our daughter. Someone knows where Lauren is and what happened the night she disappeared. Are you that person?"

I agree that the people, not just students, but all the people out in these bars and parties should practice this culture of care. One of the things they decided to do, however, to promote this is to place knitted sculptures on trees around these bars. Basically, colorful tree socks. Not to be mean, but these things are absolutely useless! Unless, of course, they place a big panic button on each tree.

Big money is at the center of all of this. If they placed members of LE on bikes and on foot patrol and do an organized, powerful presence up and down those streets, the bar goers would be safer. So what if they got more PIs, and the bars less money and more citations?! The laws in this state clearly are against serving drunks and public intoxication.

Kilroys started as a small bar and now they are making millions per month at 3 locations. They should willingly make contributions to keeping their clients, who are putting millions into their coffers, safe. But really. they don't give a fig about their clients.

Tree sculptures won't keep these clients safe. If they want to get really, really drunk then they should go back to their houses and apts and do so.
Only LE presence will stop this. These knitted tree sculptures are a perfect example of placating people with lip service and inane attempts of seeming
to care. The cops here are pretty cool about serious crackdowns and I think they could patrol the areas on foot without becoming overly oppressive. But
the crackdown should be severe on the bars. They need to expel the patrons they know are drug dealing and pestering people. They need to stop over serving. Kilroys may feel that they are a beloved institution that no one in Bloomington could do without, but in actuality, no one would miss them at all. The students would just go somewhere else.

Now that I'm on a soap box, would it surprise anyone to know that heroin is readily available in many of these bars? Not saying Kilroy's in particular, but
it's often easier to get, and being pressed on a younger crowd, than pot!

If they could stop the money talking, they might see the crimes walking.

I'm guessing there has already been discussion here at some point so I apologize if this is repetitive, but it seems like Israel Keyes could reasonably be considered a suspect here. Pretty crazy that one of the more notable serial killers in recent memory was confirmed to be in Indiana on June 3rd, 2011 (the day that Spierer disappeared.) Is it really just a coincidence?

I'm guessing there has already been discussion here at some point so I apologize if this is repetitive, but it seems like Israel Keyes could reasonably be considered a suspect here. Pretty crazy that one of the more notable serial killers in recent memory was confirmed to be in Indiana on June 3rd, 2011 (the day that Spierer disappeared.) Is it really just a coincidence?

Is there definitive proof that Keyes was in Bloomington? He flew into Chicago on the 2nd and headed east, I thought, resulting in the Curriers' deaths in VT. The deaths were on June 8, and he reportedly spent three days there prior. I'm not sure his route, but I-80/90E would take a good 15 hours. It seems like a tight schedule, IMO.

Is there definitive proof that Keyes was in Bloomington? He flew into Chicago on the 2nd and headed east, I thought, resulting in the Curriers' deaths in VT. The deaths were on June 8, and he reportedly spent three days there prior. I'm not sure his route, but I-80/90E would take a good 15 hours. It seems like a tight schedule, IMO.

I agree, it seems like a tight schedule. Was Keyes ever in Bloomington? He tended to plan to kill seemingly random victims far in advance. He had hidden a "murder kit" in Vermont years before he killed the Curriers. If he had anything to do with the disappearance of LS, it seems likely that he would have been in Bloomington before to case the area, perhaps hide supplies, etc.

No evidence of him being in Bloomington, but he was confirmed to be in the state on the 3rd (I think it may have been at tolls or something? I should look it up) It's obviously still a long shot but it's still very strange that he was there on the exact day that she went missing.

No evidence of him being in Bloomington, but he was confirmed to be in the state on the 3rd (I think it may have been at tolls or something? I should look it up) It's obviously still a long shot but it's still very strange that he was there on the exact day that she went missing.

wait! what? confirmed, confirmed? Can you find that for me? Or point me in the right direction to find it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member