IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 - #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is so elementary it's probably silly to post, but it's been on my mind since the press conference today. Regarding the videos and the system times that Qualters cautioned might be inaccurate. I'm sure they compared the times to see how they compare to the actual known time, and how much they differ from each other.

As for the lettering on the truck, I can't make out a thing. In the earlier images, I could see what looked like a line of letters, but in the enlarged ones, I just see a blur. I do agree it appears that someone is in the backseat.

jjenny we understand your point of view but we are just trying to say what we see and think.

LE doesn't have to release the photos. The photos are released so people who recognize the truck contact LE and tell LE whose truck it is. Any writing on the side of the truck would be the best clue. So blurring it on purpose makes no sense at all. LE is going to get tons of false leads because there are many of similar trucks around. If there is specific writing on it, I don't see any why LE would smudge it.

What if they already know who's truck it is and are trying to mess with or flush out a POI? I'm sure they're trying to get one of their stories to change. Maybe this is psy-ops?

The pictures were from two different systems, so they probably shot different quality pictures. It wouldn't be hard to believe LE blurred the photo for the general public. I think they did, myself.

or perhaps they just were from different distances and one photo had to be enlarged much more than the other resulting in loss of resolution.

If LE is hoping that releasing the photos of the truck would lead to the actual truck because people will recognize it, smudging any writing defeats that purpose.

I was referring to blurring the back if there were people in it, not the writing. Maybe they did neither.

Can't recall which poster sent this tip in?

Investigators are receiving tips daily. Those tips have included a picture in the Indianapolis Star on Sunday. In the background of that picture there is a pickup that looks similar to the one police are trying to track down.

With construction season in full swing, police believe the truck could have come from a construction site.

http://www.wishtv.com/dpp/news/loca...e-seeking-truck-driver-in-lauren-spierer-case

http://www.indystar.com/article/201...earance?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|IndyStar.com

Photo #8

Does anyone know exactly what buildings this truck was in front of when the stills were taken? I am curious if we can put them on a map and figure out if it could have been seen on any of the other cameras that Btown has informed us about.

Also, the pic of the passenger side shows the truck driving towards the camera, and the front of the truck is cut off. Obviously the truck came into view of the camera earlier, and this still was taken at the end of the frame. (We can come to this conclusion because there is a small stretch of road behind the truck, which the truck had to have passed to get in the spot that it is in on photo)

I know that Indiana doesn't require us to use front license plates, but often many people put a "supplement plate" in that spot. Sometimes it could be a sports team, a charity, etc....

I'm wondering if there was anything on the front at all that would further help identify it.

Additionally, if LE had released a still of when the truck was first in view of the camera, we would probably be able to directly see in the windshield (depending on reflections).

That would help people identify how many people were in the truck, perhaps even tell if the driver was male or female. And if the photo was clear in any way, people may be able to identify the driver.

Either LE didn't release this information because they dont want to receive a bunch of false leads, or they have a different reason they did not release the still from the front view.

I have not read all of the new pages here in this thread so this might have already been said....

My husband has a 2005 Chev 4 door 4x4 Z71 1500 pick-up. When comparing it with this truck... it is dead on. Door handles line up perfectly with windows. Window shapes are the same. Same curvature (molding) on the side. His truck says Z71 on the side rear which looks like this truck may have the same.

Sorry if this has already been said.

Here's what I got for that truck based on your husband's truck. :) Click on it to see larger.

LE doesn't have to release the photos. The photos are released so people who recognize the truck contact LE and tell LE whose truck it is. Any writing on the side of the truck would be the best clue. So blurring it on purpose makes no sense at all. LE is going to get tons of false leads because there are many of similar trucks around. If there is specific writing on it, I don't see any why LE would smudge it.

Totally agree with that. If there were a picture of Lauren or a name on the vehicle it would be announced to the public. There is absolutely no reason why they would not do so.

Either LE didn't release this information because they dont want to receive a bunch of false leads, or they have a different reason they did not release the still from the front view.

Exactly! That's what I've been trying to get at. Does anyone see the black out on the windows of the truck like I do? They seem darker than they should be, like the photo was altered.

or perhaps they just were from different distances and one photo had to be enlarged much more than the other resulting in loss of resolution.

The two photos I've seen were from different distances, one from the driver's side and one from across the street, on the passenger's side. Probably two different surveillance systems and it could account for all of the blurring, but it isn't out of the scope of LE practice to manipulate a photo.

Totally agree with that. If there were a picture of Lauren or a name on the vehicle it would be announced to the public. There is absolutely no reason why they would not do so.

If they want the driver of this truck to come forward, I don't think LE is necessarily going to come out and say "we know you kidnapped her..." If there was a name on the truck, they would more than likely be able to locate this truck in a short period of time or find out who was driving it, especially if that is the name of a legitimate business on the side. I have no doubt about not blurring the words, but that doesn't mean they would put out damning evidence such as Lauren being in the back. It probably took them several days to decide to release this as it is.

5fdadd0e.jpg

I'm trying to picture this in my head, but if you're using the reflected image...it would be backward, correct?

Therefore I can't see how it would begin with an R and end with a Y.

I agree, if they knew what the writing said, they would not need the public, most likely. I don't believe they blurred anything out of the photo. It would kind of defeat the purpose.

The two photos I've seen were from different distances, one from the driver's side and one from across the street, on the passenger's side. Probably two different surveillance systems and it could account for all of the blurring, but it isn't out of the scope of LE practice to manipulate a photo.

What would the purpose be for manipulating a photo in this case? I just dont see anything positive that can come from that move. Getting as much information out to the public is the most important thing right now. If they have the ability to identify the car in greater detail they would do so. If they knew LS was in the car they have no reason not to mention it unless they are 100% positive that she is dead and are basically only investigating the crime and not her whereabouts. While I think that this is unfortunately the most likely scenario, they still have to hope this is an abduction and someone is holding her against her will and, thus, proceed as quickly as possible.

I tend to agree with you, Jjenny, argument makes sense. But I also agree that the lettering is extremely blurry. Maybe it's just glare or maybe it was deliberately pixelated. I can't think of a reason offhand why LE would do that, but who knows. Personally, I like to explore all options.

What if they already know who's truck it is and are trying to mess with or flush out a POI? I'm sure they're trying to get one of their stories to change. Maybe this is psy-ops?

Highly unlikely. If they knew whose truck it was, there'd be no need to release these photos to the public.

Does anyone know exactly what buildings this truck was in front of when the stills were taken? I am curious if we can put them on a map and figure out if it could have been seen on any of the other cameras that Btown has informed us about.

Also, the pic of the passenger side shows the truck driving towards the camera, and the front of the truck is cut off. Obviously the truck came into view of the camera earlier, and this still was taken at the end of the frame. (We can come to this conclusion because there is a small stretch of road behind the truck, which the truck had to have passed to get in the spot that it is in on photo)

I know that Indiana doesn't require us to use front license plates, but often many people put a "supplement plate" in that spot. Sometimes it could be a sports team, a charity, etc....

I'm wondering if there was anything on the front at all that would further help identify it.

Additionally, if LE had released a still of when the truck was first in view of the camera, we would probably be able to directly see in the windshield (depending on reflections).

That would help people identify how many people were in the truck, perhaps even tell if the driver was male or female. And if the photo was clear in any way, people may be able to identify the driver.

I wanted to do this earlier but I was sidetracked. Here is the set of Btown's photos which cover the area in question.

Starting at 9th Street in front of Bubs, behind Smallwood, looking North on Morton toward 10th, & 11th St. You can follow along on Google Street View. There is nothing to see on the west side of the street, (farthest from Smallwood).

There is an empty lot at the corner of 9th & Morton, then the first building is an apartment complex named Morton Mansions at 10th and Morton St. with for lease signs, cameras pointing to the parking lot, which is toward Smallwood and College, One camera at the main entrance, and more in the distance on the next building.
24c8n60.jpg

At the corner of 10th & Morton, I looked East up 10th, toward College Ave. There are 6 Cameras. The far building on the left with cameras is 10 & College Apartments.
2cftthj.jpg

Continuing North on Morton, are 3 more cameras on 10th & College Village apartment building.
2v9rk02.jpg

Further North on Morton, another camera at the main entrance to 10th & College Village apartment building. As I took this picture, a friend pulled up to the curb. I leaned in his car as he asked what the heck I was doing. As a silly excuse came out of my mouth, 2 unmarked police cars pulled up just in front of him. 4 uniformed officers got out of each car, and fanned out thru the neighbor hood. You can see a few of them in a couple of these images IIRC. So, they are still out working the case. I worried a bit they might stop me and want to know why I was taking pics. :-)
As I was typing this, my wife said she saw on the news that a drone was flying over Bloomington to help with the search.
m8hau8.jpg

Just North of that, a glimpse inside 10th & College Village apartment building.
noyrl5.jpg

Still on Morton, a little farther North. Another Camera. North West corner of the 10th & College Village apartment building.
294s9xt.jpg

Looking East up the alley beside 10th & College Village apartment, eastward toward College Ave.
hrj695.jpg

Continuing East up the alley toward College Ave. The 2 guys in the alley were changing a light bulb on the 10 & College apartments building, at College Ave. I asked them about the bulb, and they said it didn't fix it, that it must be a bad fixture. The could not say if it was functioning when Lauren went missing.
img00178201106141726.jpg

The North East side of 10th & College Apartments alongside the alley. There is the camera I missed in my first post about 10th & College.
2n0rcp5.jpg

The cameras view, facing south.
2u3v4lf.jpg

Further up the alley across College Ave. Looking back westward, back at 10th & College Apartments.
2vbogpc.jpg

Moving back toward Morton, facing west on the alley
img00180201106141727.jpg

Almost back to Morton St.
aorscm.jpg

More later moving up to 5 North Apartments, where the boys live, then down College Ave., back toward Smallwood.

If they want the driver of this truck to come forward, I don't think LE is necessarily going to come out and say "we know you kidnapped her..." If there was a name on the truck, they would more than likely be able to locate this truck in a short period of time or find out who was driving it, especially if that is the name of a legitimate business on the side. I have no doubt about not blurring the words, but that doesn't mean they would put out damning evidence such as Lauren being in the back. It probably took them several days to decide to release this as it is.

Well if we are assuming there is somebody sitting in the bed of the truck, and LE wanted to remove that image, clearly they could have done a better job. Personally while it does appear as if somebody was sitting in the bed of the truck, I think it's a trick of light.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ljenkins18