GUILTY IN - Melinda Lindsey, 23, shot to death, Porter County, 16 Jan 2015 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately, that is probably the case with SL's family.

I don't know what the "health" question or issue was that caused the problems with Melinda's policy. But I do know if you tell them you don't smoke and they find out you do, they can refuse to pay. Also, if you fail to disclose any previous illness. They are serious about this stuff. They just don't fork over $1.1M for the asking.

When I got my policy (and it was nowhere near that amount) I had to sign papers to give them access to my medical records. Have a health check, etc. My husband had to prove his policy was in place and was for a specific amount over and above mine. It was unbelievable.

That's why I asked all the questions about Melinda's policy. I just couldn't believe it was possible for her to get a policy for that amount. Now the facts come out and we find out SL was scheming and lying to METLife. Wow. Just, wow.

In the MacDonald case, the husband had a puncture wound to his lung and it was believed that he did that to himself. There was no evidence of a struggle in that house, either. Dr. Sheppard had a whiplash from supposedly having a wrestling match with the intruder, after his wife was murdered. In both cases, the intruder/intruders vanished into the night. And in both of these cases, the wives were pregnant. There has been speculation that Melinda may have been in the early stages of pregnancy. Not sure if that is the case, but I recall that being stated.

I remember reading some speculation that ML may have been pregnant, too. An autopsy would have been able to prove or disprove this as fact. I would imagine that a pregnancy would be very relevant in this case. Does anyone know if this has been been brought up in court?

I don't recall Steve saying anything about drugs earlier. Does anyone else? Or this just him having plenty of time to scheme in a jail cell and that's the best he can do?

"'Steven Lindsey appeared eager to have his wife cremated ... He didn't seem to understand we had to wait for the death certificate to be signed.' ...Melinda Lindsey was cremated Jan. 26 and ... 'Steven Lindsey did not want a memorial service or obituary,' [the funeral home employee] Morris said."
How could he NOT know that would look terribly suspicious? I mean, if you're staging a cover-up, you have to at least pretend to be normal.

So many things ...

He's cooked.

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

This is from the ChiTrib article on the 4th - I don't remember anyone bringing it up so I thought I'd pass it on:
"Manteuffel recounted questioning Steven Lindsey about fights with Melinda Lindsey and said that Steven Lindsey said they had fights about money and her wanting to return to stripping and his being out of work."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/subur...y-trial-wednesday-st-1105-20151104-story.html

IIRC Steve's Aunt thought he was employed? Full-time, supervisory position? Of course I'm in no position to know. Just thought to point out the obvious - that he might have been telling family members he was fine, just great, couldn't be better, but in the interrogation room the truth will out?

This is from the ChiTrib article on the 4th - I don't remember anyone bringing it up so I thought I'd pass it on:
"Manteuffel recounted questioning Steven Lindsey about fights with Melinda Lindsey and said that Steven Lindsey said they had fights about money and her wanting to return to stripping and his being out of work."

IIRC Steve's Aunt thought he was employed? Full-time, supervisory position? Of course I'm in no position to know. Just thought to point out the obvious - that he might have been telling family members he was fine, just great, couldn't be better, but in the interrogation room the truth will out?
I think you are probably right. His aunt was repeating what she was told - by Steven. She believed him because he is her nephew and she loves him. Love is blind.

He wanted her cremated right away. He didn't have a service or even an obit. He took the dogs to the vet to be exterminated.

In my opinion, he committed more than murder. He tried to erase her.

He wanted her cremated right away. He didn't have a service or even an obit. He took the dogs to the vet to be exterminated.

Oh no! I always wondered what happened with the dogs. That's awful.

How did someone silently break into a place with 3 dogs anyhow?

And by not having any services he would then be able to avoid interaction with her family and closest friends where he would need to play the grieving husband.

Lindsey's brother further requested a photo be taken of Melinda Lindsey's fatal gunshot wound, claiming an attorney recommended the move, Morris said. The attorney later denied making the recommendation, she said.

This was bizarre. Why would family want picture taken of fatal wound?

No court tomorrow it is Veterans Day. Court resumes on Thursday.

Justice for Melinda

What a sickening, pathetic, excuse of wasted skin.

Seriously?

This guy didn't even have the decency to think about his TWO LITTLE CHILDREN who had just lost their mother (and step mother) and that losing their DOGS might cause further emotional damage. What a heartless *******!

And the brother asking to take a photo of the gunshot wound? Really?? Sounds like a trophy to me. Why isn't that guy on trial right along with his brother??

I almost forgot about the hurry-up cremation & the no service and no obituary. I'll bet the jury is ready to hang this guy already.

Way to go defense attorney. SL being drunk while tying himself up really makes all of the rest of this "go away". What a creep you have for a client. :mad:

I think taking the dogs to have them cremated says a lot and I agree, he was trying to erase Melinda. He could have taken them to a rescue, placed a free ad on Craiglist and given them away, or the Humane Society. But to want two healthy dogs just killed? Very telling, IMO.

What a sickening, pathetic, excuse of wasted skin.

Seriously?

This guy didn't even have the decency to think about his TWO LITTLE CHILDRED who had just lost their mother (and step mother) and that losing their DOGS might cause further emotional damage. What a heartless *******!

And the brother asking to take a photo of the gunshot wound? Really?? Sounds like a trophy to me. Why isn't that guy on trial right along with his brother??

I almost forgot about the hurry-up cremation & the no service and no obituary. I'll bet the jury is ready to hang this guy already.

Way to go defense attorney. SL being drunk while tying himself up really makes all of the rest of this "go away". What a creep you have for a client. :mad:

Psychopath behavior. I wonder what the full envolvement the brother of SL has in all this. SL called him immediately.
Doesn't SL brother have custody of their daughter as well?

Yes. He told Melinda he was not married. And his wife had no idea. I don't believe Melinda found out he was married until she got pregnant. What a guy! (Sarcasm)

And someone said that he was WAY behind on his child support to his ex wife. And had told her BEFORE Melinda was murdered that he was going to have the money to get her caught up "real soon".

Hmmmm.....

I think taking the dogs to have them cremated says a lot and I agree, he was trying to erase Melinda. He could have taken them to a rescue, placed a free ad on Craiglist and given them away, or the Humane Society. But to want two healthy dogs just killed? Very telling, IMO.

ME TOO. Big time.

If I recall, it was mentioned SL told ML he wasn't married when they first met. It appears he indeed was. Allegation of infidelity from Ex.

It appears SL was in financial hardship. Back child support, unemployed, equals desperation.
Many families suffer desperation and hardship. In my opinion the solution isn't murder by any means.

I recall it being said that he didn't tell Melinda he was married until after she was pregnant.

Having two healthy dogs destroyed? Yep - that would be a psychopath. And another nail in his coffin. Good. (Dude, you have kids who loved those dogs! Oh, that's right: your a psychopath. What have kids got to do with anything?)

I don't see why his having an affair with Lindsey is important to the prosecution's case though. Can you help me out? Child support in arrears? $6K for one child? In the Midwest that seems like a hefty arrearage.

The footprints in the snow thing is news to me. The cops are saying they didn't find matching shoes. Does this me there WERE prints around the house the morning of the murder?? I thought it was well understood there was no evidence of forced entry - so what need would a killer have had to walk around in the snow surrounding the house?

Or was this related to the "stalking"? If that's the case, I can imagine that, if the one setting up the stalking was Steve, it would be easy enough to create footprints and hide the shoes from police. It's not like they're going to turn the house upside down looking for evidence all because of a bag of lingerie thrown in the (unlocked? even tho the "stalking" had gone on for a while?) patio door?

And of course since his wife was so frightened she was literally shaking, NO ONE in the house would leave ANYTHING unlocked, right?

Yes. He told Melinda he was not married. And his wife had no idea. I don't believe Melinda found out he was married until she got pregnant. What a guy! (Sarcasm)

And someone said that he was WAY behind on his child support to his ex wife. And had told her BEFORE Melinda was murdered that he was going to have the money to get her caught up "real soon".

Hmmmm.....

She testified today that he owed her $6000 in back child support. But that wasn't his only problem. At some point he would have been facing contempt of court charges - and jail. My hope is that any pittance he makes in prison goes straight to that debt, and he isn't left with enough to buy so much as a candy bar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arling