GUILTY IN - Melinda Lindsey, 23, shot to death, Porter County, 16 Jan 2015 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder how much she got paid to try to create reasonable doubt by accusing this guy. I also wonder if she's smart enough to get out of town before he DOES kill her.

OK, maybe everybody has been barking up the wrong tree and SL is a poor innocent victim in all this. And maybe I'm the Tooth fairy.

Won't it be funny if she gets charged with what ever they can charge her with for obstructing justice

Oh yeah, and they not only delayed the start of the trial, they motioned to set him FREE on bond! God! The nerve!

"Rogers argued in a motion for bond for Steven Lindsey that the man in question had been a suspect or person of interest, but was cleared by way of an alibi. Yet the potential witness said the man told her he "circumvented his alibi by using a false name and travel arrangements".

Just found this thread today, I live in Indiana (near the middle of the state) and hadn't heard anything about this. Prayers to family and friends when the trial does start.

Yes. Unfortunately they have to do it and give the defense ample time to "prepare" this last minute "witness". If they don't, this could be a reason for an appeal down the road.

It's frustrating and I'm sure very upsetting to Melinda's friends and family. But these tactics rarely work out well. Remember, the prosecution is preparing too.

Agree. This is a 12th hour Perry Mason in reverse type tactic. The timing of this makes it even more transparent, IMO. Prayers to all of Melinda's loved ones. I cannot even imagine how awful this is for them.

This will be very interesting. What about the gunshot residue that was found on his hands? How can that be explained? The husband reported he "awoke" to the sound of a gunshot. I didn't see it reported that the "real" shooter then came back into the baby's room and held hands with him and transferred residue to him.

There is also a lack of evidence that anyone else had been in the home. No footprints and no dragging marks on the floor.

I think this is a defense tactic designed to throw "doubt".

This will be very interesting. What about the gunshot residue that was found on his hands? How can that be explained? The husband reported he "awoke" to the sound of a gunshot. I didn't see it reported that the "real" shooter then came back into the baby's room and held hands with him and transferred residue to him.

There is also a lack of evidence that anyone else had been in the home. No footprints and no dragging marks on the floor.

I think this is a defense tactic designed to throw "doubt".
How will they explain why there were no marks found on a guy who claimed to be choked unconscious, dragged from room to room and bound with zip ties? I would love to hear that one.

How will they explain why there were no marks found on a guy who claimed to be choked unconscious, dragged from room to room and bound with zip ties? I would love to hear that one.

I would also love to hear that. The defense attorney did warn the story this woman has told doesn't match all of the evidence, but it matches Steven Lindsey's story.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/subur...rder-trial-begins-st-0923-20150922-story.html

"There are some underlying subplots," Rogers said."

"Both the prosecution and defense made motions to continue the trial for Steven Lindsey until 9 a.m. Thursday while Porter County Sheriff's Police investigate."

"Rogers also filed a motion to set bond for Lindsey, which Alexa set for consideration on Thursday."
"Murder suspects are not usually granted bond, but Rogers noted later that Lindsey had been in Porter County Jail for about 180 days, which is a consideration for release.

In all these months the police didn't discover all these underlying subplots

I think that the evidence will stand and SL will be found guilty of murder,

I pray for life without parole, justice for Melinda and her loved ones

Underlying subplots, sounds like a Lifetime Movie. Unfortunately this is real life and the victims deserve justice.
For a law abiding citizen with strong moral compass it is hard to wrap my head around murder.
Just my opinion

This is just a good defense attorney doing his job trying to create reasonable doubt. *If* these things were said, both sides need the opportunity to check it out.

None of this erases the hard evidence that still exists. SL tested positive for gunshot residue on his hands. Melinda was shot with her own gun. SL was bound with zip-ties that connect back to his job and were left at the scene. They was no evidence of a forced entry. There was no evidence of a struggle. SL had no marks on his neck after claiming to be "choked out" to the point of unconscious. He was bound loosely with his hands behind his back, but his legs were not bound. There were no tracks leading to or away from the house.

I am also sure that the police took his computer(s) and had them forensically analyzed. That will be very interesting. Remember when that suspicious character *Joe* or *Sam* showed up on that first news thread about Melinda defending SL? That information will be on SL's computer if (as we all suspect) it was SL. And it will also show him shutting down Melinda's F/b page. Who knows what else he may have been searching in those early days. But I'm sure it will prove to be very interesting.

Well I was glad to read that it's wasn't going to be a long delay. wouldn't these alleged assailants have left some evidence at the scene? Finger prints on the gun, or zip ties, or somewhere? Love to know how she claimed they got in to the house...

Hopefully this won't change the trajectory of the trial too much.

I mean the timing of the murder alone! This person, from Melinda's past, just decides, coincidentally to kill her, right before the insurance policy expires?

In case you missed it, the "witness" in question is the girlfriend of an ex-boyfriend of Melinda's. There is no connection between her and Steve. The prosecution asked for and got a delay in the trial so they can figure out how to proceed from this point. Much will depend on the outcome of the investigation into this female's allegation. Steve's attorney agreed to the short recess, he did not ask for it. Also, you can put to rest the gun residue. The initial tests were a "false" positive. The ties DID NOT connect back to Steve's work. There is so much false information being spread on these boards, thank God for a judicial system that requires the truth and the truth is in the discovery and evidence, not on Websleuths.

Thanks for those clarifications, starshine. I don't understand why someone would wait until NOW to name a suspect.

So, the possible suspect is Melinda's ex-boyfriend? Has there been any evidence that he/anyone else was in the home that day?

Information on the gunshot residue came from reliable news sources who claimed to be using information provided by the police. If it was a false positive result, it wasn't reported as such.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mzrowdy