GUILTY IN - Melinda Lindsey, 23, shot to death, Porter County, 16 Jan 2015 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree on the motive issue. Why would a boyfriend from several years ago be so mad that he would want her dead? And what would be in it for his accomplice, other than a possible life sentence?

Yes, a motive was given.

Are you sure the doors were unlocked? Not sure where that came from. I've seen the pictures of the doors and know what they looked like, but that's part of the defense, so I'll leave it alone.....I just wouldn't lay my hat on the "rumor" that they were unlocked. Do we know the ex-boyfriend didn't bring a weapon? (if this girl is to be believed) I read the police report, I know what was alleged, I wouldn't put any money that he didn't allegedly have a weapon. There is btw a gunshot shell in evidence. I can't give you answers to all your questions because they are all part of the defense and it wouldn't be fair if I divulged the truth in some of those allegations.

I believe this assumption was based on earlier police reports of no sign of forced entry. Can you tell us if there was actually some evidence of forced entry? It seems as though that might be what you're suggesting, but I'm not sure.

Starshine4u,
Are you saying that there *were* signs of forced entry into the house? And that another shell casing was found at the scene that didn't match Melinda's gun? And the intruder brought the zip ties to the scene? And that the contradictory information we have read in the newspapers and police reports is wrong? And poor SL was wrongfully arrested and charged with this crime? Seriously?

I believe this assumption was based on earlier police reports of no sign of forced entry. Can you tell us if there was actually some evidence of forced entry? It seems as though that might be what you're suggesting, but I'm not sure.

The door was not kicked in. It was not off the hinges.......there is evidence however that at sometime, someone used something other then a key to enter the home.

Wow. Just wow.

I followed this case back in April and just got caught up on the recent events. I have no idea what to think. But like others have said, what would the motive be for a prior ex-bf to want Melinda dead? Not sure I'm buying that this is anything more than a lucky break for SL, but I guess we'll see.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a further delay while LE tries to sort all of this out.

jmo

Starshine4u,
Are you saying that there *were* signs of forced entry into the house? And that another shell casing was found at the scene that didn't match Melinda's gun? And the intruder brought the zip ties to the scene? And that the contradictory information we have read in the newspapers and police reports is wrong? And poor SL was wrongfully arrested and charged with this crime? Seriously?

Yes there are signs of forced entry (use of an instrument other then key), yes a shell casing was found that didn't match Melinda's gun, yes there were zip ties with unknown dna on them, and yes the newspapers and in some cases the police reports were wrong. Make of it what you want.

Wow. Just wow.

I followed this case back in April and just got caught up on the recent events. I have no idea what to think. But like others have said, what would the motive be for a prior ex-bf to want Melinda dead? Not sure I'm buying that this is anything more than a lucky break for SL, but I guess we'll see.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a further delay while LE tries to sort all of this out.

jmo

I can not tell you what this female said the motive was, but she did give the motive. It's my understanding another person, independent of the original witness, that was interviewed in relation to this females statement gave the same story and motive. Further delay's are inevitable as more evidence comes in.

As Nancy Grace would say...BOMBSHELL TONIGHT !!! I thought I would come back here once the trial started..which it appears won't until tomorrow...if then ?? Don't want to say I told you so but if some might remember my theory was it might be someone from Melinda's past...it will be interesting to learn why anyone would want to murder this young Mother...right off the bat everyone here was accusing Steve ...I think mainly because of what was in the newspaper...shame on them if what was written was untruths ...Again I thank Starshine for coming here as she has done before and didn't get a very nice welcome....of course she comes here to defend her relative if she knows some truths that we aren't privy to and lies are being told.....who in their right mind wants to see a loved one accused of murdering his wife, if he didn't...My opinion has always been that he didn't...but, thats my opinion.I do hope there will be justice for Melinda.

If there is unknown dna on the zip ties, then the police either tested this dna against this other suspect and it wasn't a match, or they are doing that now.

If there is unknown dna on the zip ties, then the police either tested this dna against this other suspect and it wasn't a match, or they are doing that now.
Don't know the answer to that. It wasn't Steve's dna.

Read that newspaper article that was posted a few posts back...if we are to believe the newspaper....Since some of you knew Melinda you might know who the article is talking about ??? Hope they have suggested a lie detector test on all involved...the new witness as well as the man she is accusing.....

The potential witness claims a man that both she and the murder victim, 23-year-old Melinda Lindsey, had been intimately involved with had told her he and an accomplice carried out the crime, according to defense attorney Larry Rogers.

The man said he "strangled out" Steven Lindsey during the invasion of their home Jan. 16 and his accomplice shot and killed Melinda Lindsey, Rogers said. The story was shared with county police Monday while jury selection was underway in the trial against Steven Lindsey, who was married to Melinda Lindsey.

Police interviewed the man in question Monday night and he denied the woman's accusations, Rogers said.

I have been following this case from the beginning. First time posting.
IMO evidence is going to be interpreted one way by the defense and another way by the prosecution. It will be a battle of the experts to explain the different interpretations. Then for the jury to decide which expert they believe.
In the Casey Anthony case they had a piece of evidence with unknown DNA on it. Turned out to be an FBI experts DNA. Some homes can be entered with just using a hard plastic card such as a credit card. What would be important is if there were any signs of it being done at the time of the murder. Also, I would like to know if the evidence was sent to anywhere else other than FBI lab. If so, what do their lab results show?
I am really leery of this new witness. Weather she is proven to be truthful or not I cannot find any respect for her. If she is truthful she was willing to let an innocent man go to prison until the time came that her life was threatened and she didn't like her ex any more. She should of turned the guy in along time ago. Seems like she wasn't being threatened before, but just kept her mouth shut because it served her needs.
If she is lying (which I think she is), then she is doing all of this to serve her own purpose. The article says that some of the things match up to what Steve said happened. Did she get this information from the news? She didn't need to know Steve or have any connections to him to be lying. She could have an agenda against her ex and knows that he was a POI at the beginning. It is amazing what people will do for revenge.

IMO evidence is going to be interpreted one way by the defense and another way by the prosecution. It will be a battle of the experts to explain the different interpretations. Then for the jury to decide which expert they believe.
In the Casey Anthony case they had a piece of evidence with unknown DNA on it. Turned out to be an FBI experts DNA. Some homes can be entered with just using a hard plastic card such as a credit card. What would be important is if there were any signs of it being done at the time of the murder. Also, I would like to know if the evidence was sent to anywhere else other than FBI lab. If so, what do their lab results show?
I am really leery of this new witness. Weather she is proven to be truthful or not I cannot find any respect for her. If she is truthful she was willing to let an innocent man go to prison until the time came that her life was threatened and she didn't like her ex any more. She should of turned the guy in along time ago. Seems like she wasn't being threatened before, but just kept her mouth shut because it served her needs.
If she is lying (which I think she is), then she is doing all of this to serve her own purpose. The article says that some of the things match up to what Steve said happened. Did she get this information from the news? She didn't need to know Steve or have any connections to him to be lying. She could have an agenda against her ex and knows that he was a POI at the beginning. It is amazing what people will do for revenge.

First of all Welcome out of lurkdom :lurk: and :goodpost:
I too think this new witness is hinky.

We did think the DNA was probably one of the officers at the scene, until this new witness, which actually explains a lot of things. The shot gun shell for instance....no one could figure out where that came from or why it would be found in the area it was found. I'm sure that's what they are trying to figure out today, whether there is any merit to her story. I do not believe the witness is lying. Not because I want to believe her, but because of the results today of some interviews and other evidence that has been gathered. If this entire "confession" is a lie, then I think it is a lie the ex himself started. But it's my understanding they are continuing the investigation and still serving warrants.

Are you saying that there is unknown DNA and it was never checked it was never checked against anyone within the chain of custody? I am surprised that neither the defense or prosecution didn't have it done.
I would think that it shouldn't take long to test the DNA against the ex or his alleged accomplish. If there is no match it would seem like it is back to square one.

Are you saying that there is unknown DNA and it was never checked it was never checked against anyone within the chain of custody? I am surprised that neither the defense or prosecution didn't have it done.
I would think that it shouldn't take long to test the DNA against the ex or his alleged accomplish. If there is no match it would seem like it is back to square one.

The lab results that I've seen are only comparing it to Steve and it's not Steve's........it is called unknown dna in the report. In order to take a person's DNA you need a warrant, to get a warrant you need probable cause. Until Monday September 21st at 5:30 central time there wasn't any probable cause to take dna from anyone other then Steve. As far as chain of custody, well that's up to the prosecutor, I have no clue what they have decided to do about the dna being unknown.........

I find it very hard to believe that SL's DNA wasn't on the zip ties. They were ON HIS ARMS. So why wouldn't his DNA be on them? And foreign DNA. So what? That could have come from anywhere. The factory they were made. The store they were purchased, etc. That means nothing.

I find it very hard to believe that SL's DNA wasn't on the zip ties. They were ON HIS ARMS. So why wouldn't his DNA be on them? And foreign DNA. So what? That could have come from anywhere. The factory they were made. The store they were purchased, etc. That means nothing.

I should have made it clearer. The ties on Steve's arm's had his dna on them. The ties found in the room with Melinda did not have Steve's DNA on them. There was a baggie full of ties found at the foot of the bed, one tie was outside the baggie, that is the tie that had the unknown dna.

Starshine4u, I guess I just don't get the defense not having the unknown DNA tested. I would think unknown DNA would be very import in trying to clear their client. I highly doubt there has to be a warrant to run unknown DNA at a crime scene through COTIS. I saw in an earlier post that the ex has a violent past. Does the ex or his accomplice have a criminal record? If they do, thher DNA would be on file with COTIS and no warrant would be needed. I just don't get why the unknown DNA was never tested unless both sides believed it was unimportant to the case.

Starshine4u, I guess I just don't get the defense not having the unknown DNA tested. I would think unknown DNA would be very import in trying to clear their client. I highly doubt there has to be a warrant to run unknown DNA at a crime scene through COTIS. I saw in an earlier post that the ex has a violent past. Does the ex or his accomplice have a criminal record? If they do, thher DNA would be on file with COTIS and no warrant would be needed. I just don't get why the unknown DNA was never tested unless both sides believed it was unimportant to the case.

It may have been run through COTIS, I don't know. I also don't know if the ex has a criminal record and I don't know if anyone knows who the alleged accomplice is. I'm only passing on the things I do know. Testing DNA is quite expensive........if it's unknown where do you start? They may have decided it is unimportant, again, I don't know. The unknown was only on one tie, the tie outside the baggie on the bed. When the trial begins, I'm sure the DNA or lack of will be important. There are boxes and boxes of discovery and a gazillion cd's of interviews, the answer is probably in the discovery somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bman1986