IN - Parents accused of abandoning adopted 13-year old boy - Aug. 1, 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Clearsky

Reaction score

Court documents indicate there are three children in the household of Richard and Patricia Heitz, but it’s the oldest who was said to have been out of control for about six months and needed more help than the couple could provide.

How old was he when he was adopted ?
Had he gone through previous abuse as well ?
They did not need to abandon him , but either adopted him out to a loving forever home or at least placed him in foster care .
How cruel.
What a loathsome pair.
I hope DCFS has now found a loving home for him !
Omo.

How old was he when he was adopted ?
Had he gone through previous abuse as well ?
They did not need to abandon him , but either adopted him out to a loving forever home or at least placed him in foster care .
How cruel.
What a loathsome pair.
I hope DCFS has now found a loving home for him !
Omo.
The neglect case also alleges cruel confinement in that the teen was sometimes forced to stay in a camper that was parked in the family’s backyard for up to 10 days at a time, in fall and winter weather, with no electricity or heat.

According to court documents, the teen told officials that it was cold some nights, but they did give him blankets. While the camper had a bathroom, the teen said he wasn’t allowed to use it, and instead had to use grocery-style bags.

The upside that I'm seeing is that they abandoned this boy in a hospital, where he would be safe. Too many of these kids "disappearing" or found dead. There is no excuse for neglect and abandonment of a child but it sounds like they felt this was best for all of the children. MOO

At first I was like "Okay, adoptions don't always work out, especially with older/traumatized kids, at least they left him somewhere safe" but then I read about everything this boy went through BEFORE he was left at the hospital.

At first I was like "Okay, adoptions don't always work out, especially with older/traumatized kids, at least they left him somewhere safe" but then I read about everything this boy went through BEFORE he was left at the hospital.
Yes, it is upsetting and not right.

I had acquaintances, years ago, who did a foreign adoption and it was a disaster. The adopting couple was educated, financially secure, and loving parents to children of their own. They perhaps had idealistic visions of what the adoption would be like, but they were also experienced parents who did their research and were ready for challenges.

HOWEVER, the challenges were way, way, way beyond what they were prepared for, to the point that they were truly fearful for their safety and especially fearful for the safety of their children and pets. They had to put locks on all the bedroom doors because the adopted child was that dangerous. Their bio children were confined to their locked bedrooms.

THERE IS NO HELP for families in this situation. The child is legally yours and you cannot "undo" an adoption, at least not without risking being deemed unfit parents for your other kids. The couple was frantic that they would lose their bio children as they came forward with the troubles with the adopted child. To say it was a stress is a complete understatement.

Finally they arranged a private adoption with someone who didn't have other children and who could dedicate her life to caring for this child. I hope it worked well for everyone, but I know it crushed my acquaintance.

I look at these situations with the knowledge of how desperate parents can be. I DO NOT CONDONE abuse or mistreatment, so please don't come at me - I KNOW. It is not right to withhold bathroom access or to abandon a child. THAT IS NOT RIGHT, OF COURSE.

But I want to know more before I assume I understand what brought the family to this situation. And I encourage people to realize there is essentially no help if you find yourself with an adoption beyond your capabilities. OF COURSE, abandoning a child is NOT RIGHT so please don't think I'm saying it is.

jmo

According to a probable cause affidavit obtained by Law&Crime, the Department of Child Services (DCS) began investigating the parents after receiving a report on July 5, 2024, alleging that the victim was being neglected and abused. The report stated that the victim and his two younger siblings “get ‘whoopings’ with belts and paddles on their buttocks.”

It was also alleged that the victim was forced to “eat lumpy oatmeal with vinegar” and sleep “outside in the family’s camper during the winter months with no working heat or utilities” as forms of punishment.
Adopted juvenile kept in camper without electricity and given used grocery bags as toilet: Cops

I can understand leaving a child in a hospital/facility if you feel utterly unable to care for them.

But I don't understand abusing them first with humiliation like withholding use of a toilet or heat in the winter.

They adopted a teenager but didn't want to seek legitimate help when the going got rough, which it likely eventually would?

This boy has probably suffered trauma all throughout his life, and they added to it. JMO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pitbladdo
Back