In Rememberance . . . Pearl Harbor

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
There's a book I've been meaning to read by Scott Turow, called Ordinary Heroes, about how a man traces his father's past by tracing military archives and letters he wrote to discover some of his secrets during WWII; looks interesting.

Of course Flags of Our Fathers is about Iwogema (sp?). We have a WWII museum near us in Fredericksburg, TX., and it's fascinating and oh so sad to read the letters home.

Of course we have a similar thing going on today; war is always hard and it's always sad. My father served In the Navy in WWII, and had a Navy burial this year.

Gracelin said:
Remembering my Dad today, He survived Pearl Harbor.

How absolutely wonderful....as another poster asked, did he ever tell many stories about it?

Marthatex said:
There's a book I've been meaning to read by Scott Turow, called Ordinary Heroes, about how a man traces his father's past by tracing military archives and letters he wrote to discover some of his secrets during WWII; looks interesting.

Of course Flags of Our Fathers is about Iwogema (sp?). We have a WWII museum near us in Fredericksburg, TX., and it's fascinating and oh so sad to read the letters home.

Of course we have a similar thing going on today; war is always hard and it's always sad. My father served In the Navy in WWII, and had a Navy burial this year.

Isn't that great...all of us "Navy Juniors" on board here ;)

I didn't know about that museum - my dad came to visit 2 months ago. Had I known that, I would've taken him there. He would love that! Hopefully he'll be able to travel out again next year and I'll take him on a roadtrip to Fredericksburg! Thanks for that tidbit.

cappuccina said:
...was he able to talk to you about it?
No I only know what my mom told us, as he died in 1965. I was a youngster..

He was off base when the strike happend, He spent days pulling bodies from the rubble on Pearl,

He was then sent state side to gather Japannese American and place them in detention, He was a MP.

The nightmares of what happened at Pearl, and the lives he tore apart placing familys he knew were of no threat to us, in relocation camps never left him.

As hard as his job was,it was not a glorious one. Mom says he was never the same again..

I was in Honolulu for a trial several years back and visited the Arizona Memorial. I had a lump in my throat for weeks. I'm glad that I was there, but it sure does take the stuffing out of ya.

DEPUTYDAWG said:
Isn't that great...all of us "Navy Juniors" on board here ;)

I didn't know about that museum - my dad came to visit 2 months ago. Had I known that, I would've taken him there. He would love that! Hopefully he'll be able to travel out again next year and I'll take him on a roadtrip to Fredericksburg! Thanks for that tidbit.

I think it's called the Pacific War Museum now; used to be the Admiral Nimitz Museum. They've expanded it and it's really impressive!

I give thanks to my Dad who surived Pearl....

I give thanks to my Dad who surived Pearl....

That's a true miracle. Is he still alive? Thanks for pointing this out; I had forgotten. I think it was pointed out in the PP also, under Political News Page #3. My Dad served in the Navy and was at Guam and Cuba and China before the war ended.

My dad was a veteran in China-Burma-India (CBI theater) fighting the Japanese before Pearl Harbor. My uncle was in the army in the Phillipines just after Pearl Harbor. Bless them both for their service, as well as all other veterans who served.

Bless all of our veterans and current soldiers for all that they do.

My Dad and his two brothers were in the Navy, all, in the Pacific Theatre during WWII. I don't know how my poor grandmother survived. I know she prayed a lot. They all returned whole with sad memories and Daddy had severe nightmares until the day he died. He died 3 years ago and I realize every day how thankful I am to him and his fellow soldiers. Never forget the ones that never returned home alive.

I was lucky to be able to holiday in Hawaii in 2005, we went to pearl harbour, we went to the memorial on a pontoon built over the top of one of the ships that was bombed, men were killed on that ship and are still down there to this day, we also watched a film about the attack, it was very moving and sad, the memorial had the names of all who died in the Pearl Harbor attack, there was even a father and son. If any of you get the chance to visit Pearl Harbor do it, it will really bring home just how important our military is to us and the great job they do protecting our countries.

Prayers to all who lost their lives that day and to the families of the military that died.

God Bless all our servicemen and women who serve our countries today.

flag94.gif
God bless my dad and all the veterans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearl_Harbor

My dad fought in France and Germany... He has/had a purple heart

Both of my grandfathers were killed in WW II when my parents were toddlers. My maternal grandfather was on a troop ship that was torpedoed by the Germans on Christmas Day 1944, and sunk in the English Channel. My paternal grandfather was killed in the crossing of the Rhine River in Germany in March 1945. I am a huge supporter of the troops and our servicepeople, and I'm a very proud granddaughter.

Before my paternal grandmother died in 1999, she told me a story about two of her brothers, my great-uncles, who were stationed in Hawaii in the Navy at the time of Pearl Harbor. On the Sat. night before, they'd been to a party on shore and were passed out drunk on a beach when the attack began the next morning. They had a very rude awakening, but they both survived miraculously and ended up getting back to their ship somehow to man the anti-aircraft guns and help with everything.

I am a huge WWII buff and devour books on the subject, particularly the plights of the civilians during the war in different countries...how they dealt with uncertainly, invasion, threats of invasions, shortages, bombing, etc.

Here is an article I found yesterday:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,315961,00.html

Both of my grandfathers were killed in WW II when my parents were toddlers. My maternal grandfather was on a troop ship that was torpedoed by the Germans on Christmas Day 1944, and sunk in the English Channel. My paternal grandfather was killed in the crossing of the Rhine River in Germany in March 1945. I am a huge supporter of the troops and our servicepeople, and I'm a very proud granddaughter.

Before my paternal grandmother died in 1999, she told me a story about two of her brothers, my great-uncles, who were stationed in Hawaii in the Navy at the time of Pearl Harbor. On the Sat. night before, they'd been to a party on shore and were passed out drunk on a beach when the attack began the next morning. They had a very rude awakening, but they both survived miraculously and ended up getting back to their ship somehow to man the anti-aircraft guns and help with everything.

I am a huge WWII buff and devour books on the subject, particularly the plights of the civilians during the war in different countries...how they dealt with uncertainly, invasion, threats of invasions, shortages, bombing, etc.

Here is an article I found yesterday:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,315961,00.html

Englishleigh, I too am a WW2 history buff. Interesting background you have. I am sure you are very proud of you relatives as you should be.

xxxxxxxxxxxxoooooooooo
mama
:blowkiss: :blowkiss:

Tomorrow it will have been 70 years since the attack on our military at Pearl Harbor. I remember when 9/11 happened, thinking 'this is the Pearl Harbor of my generation'. A ceremony will be taking place in front of the USS Missouri, and includes a mass band performance from high school marching bands from across the USA. I am proud to include my niece in that number. :) The ceremony begins at 12 noon, Hawaiian time, or 5 p.m. EST, and will be webcast if interested. Here's a link if anyone is interested:
http://www.ussmissouri.com/news-and-events

To commemorate the 70th anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor, the Battleship Missouri Memorial will proudly host a mass band performance featuring more than 650 performers from a dozen high school, college and community bands jointly performing patriotic favorites, all under the direction of Pearl Harbor survivor Allen Bodenlos.....

On the 70th anniversary of the attack, Pearl Harbor survivors share their stories about the day of infamy
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZCgbXxlVuE"]Pearl Harbor - Veterans Remember - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8z7iI6DVxE"]Only Yesterday - Commemorating the 70th Anniversary of the Japanese Attack on Pearl Harbor.mov - YouTube[/ame]
A young couple finds their lives entwined amidst the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. Watch to see how the story comes full circle.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
softhunterstech
Back