Dentals: Unavailable
Fingerprints: Unavailable
DNA: Available

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Unknown
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Unknown

Circumstances of Disappearance
There is little know about her disappearance, but the family fears foul play.

Investigating Agency(s)
Agency Name: Indiana State Police
Agency Contact Person: District Investigator, Greg Winkler
Agency Phone Number: 812-867-2079
Agency E-Mail: Unknown
Agency Case Number: 15ISPC004624

Agency Name: Vincennes Indiana Police Department
Agency Contact Person: District Steve Chesser
Agency Phone Number: 812-882-1630
Agency E-Mail: Unknown
Agency Case Number: 15-04739

NCIC Case Number: Unknown
NamUs Case Number: 27078

Information Source(s)
NamUs

Admin Notes
Added: 1/31/2017; Last Updated: 1/31/2017

Missing Person Case

3676DFIN - Thelma Jean Cobb

Thelma Jean Cobb, 1916 - 1946
Thelma Jean Cobb was born on month day 1916, at birth place, Indiana, to John Harrison Cobb and Hilary Lulsworth Cobb (born McEntire).
John was born on October 17 1887, in Marble Hill, Bolinger, Missouri.
Hilary was born on June 4 1896, in Indiana, United States.
Thelma had 8 siblings: Henrietta Fruci (born Cobb), Floyd Cobb and 6 other siblings.
Thelma passed away of cause of death in 1946?, at age 29.

Thelma Jean Cobb is my aunt. I was just searching for my grandmother on the internet because she has a unique middle name and found my aunt on here I put her on Namus about 4 years ago. I had my DNA taken and is on file. If anyone wants to discuss what might have happened I have some theories given by my mother. I would like to know how my aunt's case got on here.

Thelma Jean Cobb is my aunt. I was just searching for my grandmother on the internet because she has a unique middle name and found my aunt on here I put her on Namus about 4 years ago. I had my DNA taken and is on file. If anyone wants to discuss what might have happened I have some theories given by my mother. I would like to know how my aunt's case got on here.
What are your theories?

My aunt Thelma was a housekeeper for a single man with 4 children. Before he passed away one of his sons had passed away, in his will he left whatever he had to his 3 surviving children and my aunt Thelma. I don't know the exact date that she disappeared. She went to visit her father and step-mother in Fort Branch, she had taken a bus and I think she disappeared after that trip. My mother had 2 ideas of what could have happened, one was that one of the sons could have killed her or she went somewhere to hide out. 7 years after she disappeared one of the sons had her declared deceased. I have the newspaper article to prove that and copies of both wills. She had a will as well as her employer. The son was about 17 when she disappeared. The other theory is she went somewhere to hide out. My mom said that she was acting strange and closing curtains and hiding by the bed, I think, There were 2 women's bodies found one in a mine and one in a river but my grandfather wouldn't go to see if either one was her.

My aunt Thelma was a housekeeper for a single man with 4 children. Before he passed away one of his sons had passed away, in his will he left whatever he had to his 3 surviving children and my aunt Thelma. I don't know the exact date that she disappeared. She went to visit her father and step-mother in Fort Branch, she had taken a bus and I think she disappeared after that trip. My mother had 2 ideas of what could have happened, one was that one of the sons could have killed her or she went somewhere to hide out. 7 years after she disappeared one of the sons had her declared deceased. I have the newspaper article to prove that and copies of both wills. She had a will as well as her employer. The son was about 17 when she disappeared. The other theory is she went somewhere to hide out. My mom said that she was acting strange and closing curtains and hiding by the bed, I think, There were 2 women's bodies found one in a mine and one in a river but my grandfather wouldn't go to see if either one was her.
Well I hope you get closure and find out what happened to her. Would you like to have her added to the Charley project?

Thelma Jean Cobb

Race White
Sex Female
Location Fort Branch, Indiana
Disappeared 1946
Missing for 75 years
Height 5'2" - 5'5"
Weight 115-130 pounds
Classification Suspected homicide

Thelma Jean Cobb was a young woman who disappeared after visiting her father and stepmother in Fort Branch, Indiana, in 1946. The exact date of her disappearance is unknown. Little else is known about her case, but her family suspects foul play...

LINK:

Thelma Cobb

Not sure if you knew this, BUT Romie Walters died in 1945 and Thelma Jean Cobb was the executor of Romie's will. I found several notices in the public notice section listing Thelma as the Executor. Romei's will number is 5819 at the Knox County Circuit court. The last public posting of the will announcement is August 1946. Romie Walters had four children, Eugene who served in the US Army in WW II and afterward. Robert who died in a mining accident when crushed by two coal cars. Richard who was about 16 or 17 when Thelma disappeared and Rose Marie, who was about 14 or 16 when Thelma disappeared. Interesting Eugene Romie's oldest son was not the excecutor of the will BUT then it could have been do to him being in the Service during the war? Not sure though when the will was drawn up.

I did some snooping today at the Knox County Indiana library that houses older wills. Romi Walters was widowed with three kids a the time of Thelma's disappearance. A great guy at the library found Romi Walters will and originally Eugene Walters the oldest son was executor in March 1944 but then gave Thelma not only the title of administrator of his Dad's will, but also Thelma was made guardian to Rose Marie and Richard Vernon Walters. The family was not well to do from what I see. Medium or Average income. Thelma received a monthly allotment from Consolidated Coal company where Romi had worked, a little social security from the kid's Mom who passed in 1934 and Eugene gave about $40 a month from his service pay for clothing etc for his siblings and that's about it. Eugene the oldest was in the service and it is WWII so it made sense to give Thelma control of the kids and his Dad's will. This tells me there certainly could not have been ill feelings between Eugene and Thelma. And in 1953 it was Eugene who came forward to have Thelma's will dispersed after having her declared absent and then deceased. Eugene was executor of Thelma's will. And the total payout to be paid to the three now adults was only $350.00. So doubtful there was any foul play on the "kids" part. Not to mention, Eugene Walters became a very successful business man and owned a Grocery chain and sat on the Board of the Sun Trust Bank. His brother Richard Vernon, was also a successful Real Estate Developer. Thelma's last signed signature was in September 1946. Eugene mentioned in his petition to the courts, Thelma is absent from Indiana in 1946 but no given last date seen. Now Thelma's trip to her parents home in Ft Branch was only 35 maybe 40 minutes from Vincennes so most likely there were no lay overs for the bus other than it's regular Bus stops. So my questions are: Who and when reported Thelma missing? Was it her parents, one of her 8 siblings or one of the two minors at the Walters home? Once she was absent from the Walters home, who then took care of the two Walters minors seeing as their oldest brother was in the service at the time? In Thelma's will no money was left to her side of the family. Only to the three Walters kids, which again wasn't all that much. I don't think at this point Money has any thing to do with Thelma's disappearance. Nor do I think she just up and left and not take any of her proceeds from the will. Although in Sept 1946, Thelma signed to have herself obtain About $120.00 and also the two Minors, Rose Marie and Richard Vernon receiving equal amounts. But again, hardly enough for Thelma to just up and disappear and never be heard from again. Also Thelma is mentioned a number of times in the Vincennes newspaper, attending various social functions to include functions at church. So no one in her social circle got curious on her disappearance? One thing I found curious: When Romi's will was being probated it turned out Romi never paid the entire bill for his first wife's burial expenses. With that said, as interest accrued on the outstanding funeral bill, the amount brought forward to pay off was $700. I thought that strange. Romi's wife died in 1934 and during that 10 year span he'd only paid a small amount owed on his wife's funeral.

Another update: In the 1930 Knox Co Indiana census, Romi Walters' grandmother lived next door to Thelma Cobb and her family. So for sure the families knew each other and may be how Thelma became the caretaker of Romi and Family after his wife died in 1934. The two families lived on Bruat Road ( Jennie Bruat) Romie's aunt lived with Romi when Thelma was caring for his family. Once I started to look closely at ages and dates here's what I found:
Robert Walters died young in a coal mine accident, 1944.

Romi Walters shortly after Robert's death had a will drawn up. First Eugene the oldest to be exec but transferred to Thelma. IN 1944 Eugene Walters is a warrant officer in the Army and living in Virginia. So makes sense for the admin of the will be transferred to Thelma.

Romi Walters dies the following year in May 1945 from Lung cancer. Possibly black lung from working the Consolidated Mines. So Thelma must have had her hands full taking care of not only the two kids but also Romi and his Aunt Jennie who was in her mid 80s. And Eugene isn't there to help.

1945-1946 Thelma is caring for Richard Vernon Walters, sister Rose Marie Walters and Aunt Jennie Bruat.

Sept 1946 is the last time Thelma's signature is found on the estate will and it is for dispersing from the Ramsey Law office $120 for herself and $120 each for the two kids.

1946 Eugene Walters the oldest son to Romi marries in Virginia.
November 1946 Aunt Jennie Bruat has a heart attack at the Walters home and dies. She had a failing heart.

Somewhere around 1946 Thelma disappears. But by now the house if all but empty. Robert Dead, Romi Dead, Aunt Jennie Dead. Eugene married and living in Virginia, The the minors are almost 18.

In Romi's will it's recorded that furniture items and a 1935 Ford Truck were being sold off and Thelma was handling the sales. One thing to note is Eugene was only 7 years younger than Thelma. Is is possible Thelma secretly loved Eugene or perhaps at one time they did have romantic relationship only to have Eugene leave for the War and fall in love with someone else? At age 34 and still young, Thelma had only known her young years to be consumed by taking care of sick people and children that were not hers. In the 1940 census Thelma was listed as working 6 days a week in the Walters house and her income was $400. So if her only day was most likely Sunday off, would that be the day sometime in 1946 she goes missing?

Last edited:
Thelma Cobb | International Missing Persons Wiki | Fandom

Thelma Cobb, age 30, Missing since 1946
I did find after the oldest son Eugene Walters married, he and his bride did come back to Vincennes/ Bricknell area for awhile and the couple are mentioned in the papers attending social functions and a couple funerals. None of the social function included Thelma Cobb's name. From 1931 until 1945 you can find Thelma Cobb mentioned attending a number of social functions (usually Church functions). The latest Church she was attending (1945) was Church of the Nazarene located in Ft. Branch? She belonged to the Diligent Daughters group within the church. There were a couple social functions mentioned in 1946 with Mr and Mrs Eugene Walters attending as well as others but no more mention of Thelma. So it could be somewhere between September 1946 when Thelma signature appears on estate paperwork and December 1946, Thelma disappeared? I still do not think the will nor money played a role in her disappearance as the total will amount just came to over $3K and after expenses there was only about $1500 to share with Thelma and the three Walters children. I also checked for stories on Thelma's dad, John Harrison Cobb for 1946 and nothing. And the newspaper is the local Vincennes paper that I'm using.

I need to correct something the oldest son was 23 years old when Thelma disappeared. I recently found out from the lady (an amatuer sleuth talked to her) who was the little girl when my aunt Thelma was taking care of them that Thelma was in love with the man that was the father of the kids. I began thinking recently that she might have committed suicide, but one of my cousins says that never entered her mind

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HatsDom
Back