GUILTY IN - Zuhur, 4, & Zakariya Hassan, 3, found dead in closet, Indianapolis, 19 Sept 2010

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The interesting thing is that the autopsy results really make no difference as she hasn't been charged with murder. So, why is the defense still insisting on it? Odd.

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/25179531/detail.html

King said the fact that Farah has been separated from her surviving children is "killing her, emotionally and physically."

This is a completely ridiculous thing for the lawyer to say. Two of her children got killed, for real, because she couldn't bear the sight of them and locked them in a closet. And now she's sorry for herself?

The fact that she killed two of her children isn't killing her emotionally then?

According to the above article, everyone wants privacy. Her family issued a statement....The family of Ebyan Farah is devasted and shocked by this tragedy. Ebyan Farah's husband, uncles, friends, and the community at large would like the media to respect their privacy.

The husband who is trying to get custody of the 3 children says, through his lawyer...The family of Bursan Hassan respectfully requests its privacy be respected during this difficult time of grieving and loss. We decline any additional comment. Prayers for all family members are appreciated. Thank you

Ebyan Farah lawyer's are demanding privacy.

So, with all this 'mind your own business' going around, who fights for these two little lost babies?

I pray she spends the rest of her life locked in a jail cell, so she never forgets how it feels to be locked up. Oh the irony of it.

RIP dear babies.
May the other children be protected from that community and recover from this abuse to live as normal a life as possible. Amen

I truly hope these children aren't released to the father. Even though he was not present when the fatal event occurred, it is clear this has been done many times and I sincerely doubt he was unaware of it. I'm really worried he will regain custody of the remaining children.

As for the mother, Indiana isn't exactly known for their stiff sentencing, so I have concerns there as well.

BBM

I wonder why the defense attorney's are insisting on an independent autopsy of the two children? Do they really believe that another ME will reach a different conclusion than has already been determined? IMO, insisting on an independent autopsy clearly implies that they distrust the results of the official autopsy.

This is ridiculous. It's a fact that Farah barricaded her children in the closet for over 10 hours. It's a fact that two of her children died during the time they were barricaded in the closet - due to the heat and lack of oxygen (not to mention dehydration and malnutrition).

Are Farah's attorneys trying to blame her deceased children's siblings for their deaths?

I got the impression that the defense was interested in the stomach contents rather than the cause of death. The stomach contents would indicate when/if she fed the children before she locked them in. :waitasec:

Good point, Paintr. Surely the ME doing the autopsy will examine stomach contents? Isn't that pretty standard procedure?

The defense is going to try to go with a "snapped" mental health defense. In order to launch that sort of defense they will need to disprove the allegation that the children suffered from malnutrition and neglect over the long term. So the autopsy by independant examiner is simply a bid to try to disprove the findings of the original ME that the children had suffered from those things.

If you have systematically neglected and starved your children over the long haul, it is a lot more dificult to allege you just "snapped" one day and locked them in a closet because of some mental break.

MOO

Good point, Paintr. Surely the ME doing the autopsy will examine stomach contents? Isn't that pretty standard procedure?

Guess defense lawyers want a second opinion...one not associated with Le. LOL! There is a lot of that going around.

The defense is going to try to go with a "snapped" mental health defense. In order to launch that sort of defense they will need to disprove the allegation that the children suffered from malnutrition and neglect over the long term. So the autopsy by independant examiner is simply a bid to try to disprove the findings of the original ME that the children had suffered from those things.

If you have systematically neglected and starved your children over the long haul, it is a lot more dificult to allege you just "snapped" one day and locked them in a closet because of some mental break.

MOO

Excellent point, tlcox! I am sure the defense thinks that no one will believe the 7 year old's story of being locked up on a regular basis. Maybe they hope that the child will not be allowed to testify because of their age.

Just a thought...I wonder if the judge issued the 'no contact before trial' order so that the mother would not be able to influence the stories of the other 3 children. :waitasec:

The judge won't have to bother with a gag order. The press seems to be very reluctant to publish updates on this story. :waitasec:

MOO

Thx TL - I hadn't thought of that. That makes sense, but I think the defense is grasping at straws by trying to claim a mental breakdown.

I think the fact that the children are in the 25th percentile for their weight is going to work against the *snapped* defense, as well as the 7 year old's statements that they have been locked in the closet other times as punishment, or to keep them from getting underfoot while their mother *cooked*.

Also, the neighbor's statement (the one who gave them a bottle of water) about the children being locked outside on a hot day.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if there are many more eye-witness accounts of ongoing abuse. I just hope the witnesses are willing to come forward to investigators & are willing to testify.

IMO, the family asked the media to "respect their privacy" to prevent these eye-witness accounts from getting out.

I agree sorrell. I also think this means of defense will not fly but if I were in charge of trying to launch a defense agaist the indefensible - who knows what straws I would be willing to grasp.

as to the neighbors and other witnesses I hope they do come forward. I just wish even one of them had done so prior.

So they have the money to bail her out but not to feed the kids...wow... Must just be lack of priorities. Or someone believes her innocence and have sent her money. Who knows. It's just plain sad.

http://www.wishtv.com/dpp/news/loca...of-starving-children-slapped-with-new-charges

Farah told police she returned home around 4:20 p.m. to find 3-year-old Zakariya and 4-year-old Zuhar collapsed in the closet, not breathing. IMPD Sgt. Paul Thompson says it's possible the children collapsed from exhaustion, and were no longer able to breathe normally through their lungs.

The Coroner's office has not released an official cause of death for the two children. Farah's attorneys filed a motion to conduct an independent private autopsy on the children's bodies. Judge Kroh has not ruled on that motion yet.

"I understand their request for it. I don't think it's going to be meaningful. We've charged the defendant with neglect. So, whether the cause of death was asphyxiation or some other cause, it's not going to affect the outcome of the neglect charge. We did not charge murder because this was not an intentional killing," said Marion County Chief Deputy Prosecutor David Wyser after court adjourned.

Farah remains in the Marion County Jail on a $200,000 bond. She is scheduled to appear in court again on Monday morning for a hearing on a motion filed by her attorneys to reduce her bond amount.

I just wanted to bump the bond amout.

So they have the money to bail her out but not to feed the kids...wow... Must just be lack of priorities. Or someone believes her innocence and have sent her money. Who knows. It's just plain sad.

I am also wondering where the money is coming from to pay for her clever lawyers. :waitasec:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rhojensenbeach
Back