INDONESIA - Matt Harper, 48, Brit, stabbed to death at Bali home while on video call, 13 Jan 2022

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm wondering, stabbing oneself 5 times and causing severe wounds in the neck and abdomen ....wouldn't one be in such pain and distress after the first stab or maybe two that would stop oneself from continuing? I don't know. Maybe if the person is in a total frenzy.

I also find it odd that this man had no history (that we know of) of severe mental disturbances and hallucinations. Then suddenly that night he loses it? Then again, maybe he was at some kind of limit that caused this. Or was he drugged?

The stepdaughter I expect would be able to confirm whether it was E or Matt with whom she communicated.
I also wish the Brit authorities would investigate as well.

Yes, @whitelilac
I also find it odd that this man had no history (that we know of) of severe mental disturbances and hallucinations. Then suddenly that night he loses it? Then again, maybe he was at some kind of limit that caused this. Or was he drugged?

This just wouldn't happen, ie having hallucinations, unless he had had previous episodes and had a history of severe mental illness - or he took something that caused it on this occasion.

I think this info needs to be sought before a suicide verdict can be given.

More also needs to come out about this alleged car accident, how serious this was and whether he sustained any head injury. And these claims of hers of alleged alcoholism.

There is certainly a lot she is levelling at him, but her own past is checkered too with dodgy deals, previous marriage and kid it seems left behind.

DENPASAR - The mystery of the death of Matthew Harper in Denpasar, Bali has been revealed. Allegations that Matthew Harper - who once worked as a chef at the Karma Kandara Hotel - was killed because he had stab wounds on his body, was denied.

The Head of Denpasar Police, Commissioner Jansen Avitus Panjaitan, confirmed that Matthew Harper committed suicide, not murder. The basis for this police belief is based on the autopsy results.

"That's why we dismissed the evidence earlier. The evidence was from the Forensic Lab, then the autopsy results and CCTV analysis were the same as the witness statements. So it's undeniable that all of them are not true (murders) and that's just an issue," said Jansen at the Denpasar Police Headquarters, Bali, Wednesday, January 19.

[...]

On autopsy examination, found wounds and stab wounds with a width of 3 cm with a length of 15 cm wound channel. The wound on the chest right in the front midline and on the lower right abdomen has two sharp angles. While the lower left abdomen has one acute angle and one obtuse angle.

Furthermore, from the description of the wound, it can be explained that the weapon that caused the wound on the body was a single-edged weapon or knife with a maximum width of 3 cm and a minimum length of 15 cm.

Stab wounds to the right in the mid-front line and in the lower right abdomen, the weapon is swung when it stabs the body in the lower right abdomen in a vertically stabbed pattern.

Then, judging from the pattern and description of the violence of sharp weapons, the wounds are located on parts of the body that can be reached and there are vital organs in those parts.

Injuries to the neck are cuts that are not too deep on the left and right sides of the neck. In addition, the victim's clothing that covered the sharp violent wound was not torn.

So from these facts, it can be explained that the injuries - as stated by the police - were carried out by the victim himself, namely a stab wound to the right abdomen, cutting off the right main intestinal artery which resulted in bleeding.

Meanwhile, the amount of blood buried in the victim's abdominal cavity was 950 ml. This amount of blood can cause death because it exceeds one-third of the blood flowing in the body.

As for the time of death of the victim based on changes after death in the form of bruises still missing on the emphasis and stiffness of the corpse, it can be estimated that the time of death was 8 to 12 hours before the external examination, i.e. 01.25 a.m. to 05.25 a.m. local time on January 13, 2022.

"The reason for the death of the victim by suicide is based on the location of the wound on the part of the body that was reached by the victim..."

[...]

Meanwhile, the cause of the bruises was a blunt force, which can be estimated from the color of the injury 1 to 3 days before death.

The stab wound cut off a large artery so that the bleeding was profuse. Death can occur in just a few minutes so the victim's condition cannot be helped.

"The cause of the victim's death was a stab wound to the lower right abdomen that hit a large blood vessel or artery, which was carried out by the victim himself," said Commissioner Jansen.

[...]

British Media Highlights, The Sun-Mirror On Matthew Harper In Bali Who Was Allegedly Murdered Is Denied With This Evidence

I'm not sure either.

I wonder what his family think, and if they will further it?

Do we have any experts in this autopsy and/or medical field on WS? That is a fairly detailed report, I have to say. Usually we don't hear so much.

I read a book by Dr Richard Shepherd who is a British pathologist and one of the worlds leading experts on stab wounds. Fascinating stuff! A post mortem can identify the direction and force of knife entry wounds, which hand the knife was in, if it was twisted, if it was double edged, the shape and length of it etc. Think about how you would be holding a knife to stab yourself as opposed to how an attacker would use one against you.

If Dr Shepherd pronounced it suicide, I’d be more than happy to believe him. No idea about the credentials of the Indonesian pathologist though.

So I'm just throwing out an idea that came to mind. Suppose they were arguing or he was upset about something (taking the family call out of the equation) and he said - "I'll show you, I'll just kill myself" or something along those lines. She says "go ahead." So he takes a knife and holds it against his neck enough to make a small cut but not anything serious, and he does this twice as based on how I read the report it says there were 2 of those cuts on his neck.
So that doesn't work and she pushes back and continues to chide him and he stabs himself in the abdomen hitting a vital artery thus causing enough damage that it would mean imminent death.
Just a hypothesis I came up with, I don't know what the truth is...I feel like she played a part in this somehow.
JMO MOO IMO not saying any of this is what actually occurred.

I would hope and assume that his ex would raise a stink if she were actually on a call with him when he was stabbed. I think she is the missing key. If she comes out to raise doubts, then I would be willing to raise some cain to have a new autopsy/investigation done. If she stays silent, maybe the original "facts" were not correct. This is a sad case either way! I can't imagine suicide by stabbing. How brutal!

Firstly, it needs to be established what his state of mind was. This alleged hallucinating is not an everyday occurrence! Either he has a known history of a mental disorder, perhaps hadn't been taking his medication... or, he had taken some drug - or surreptitiously been given it - that brought about the events that took his life.

Just to suddenly start hallucinating and then stab yourself to death is much more than a mild depressive state

DENPASAR - The mystery of the death of Matthew Harper in Denpasar, Bali has been revealed. Allegations that Matthew Harper - who once worked as a chef at the Karma Kandara Hotel - was killed because he had stab wounds on his body, was denied.

The Head of Denpasar Police, Commissioner Jansen Avitus Panjaitan, confirmed that Matthew Harper committed suicide, not murder. The basis for this police belief is based on the autopsy results.

"That's why we dismissed the evidence earlier. The evidence was from the Forensic Lab, then the autopsy results and CCTV analysis were the same as the witness statements. So it's undeniable that all of them are not true (murders) and that's just an issue," said Jansen at the Denpasar Police Headquarters, Bali, Wednesday, January 19.

[...]

On autopsy examination, found wounds and stab wounds with a width of 3 cm with a length of 15 cm wound channel. The wound on the chest right in the front midline and on the lower right abdomen has two sharp angles. While the lower left abdomen has one acute angle and one obtuse angle.

Furthermore, from the description of the wound, it can be explained that the weapon that caused the wound on the body was a single-edged weapon or knife with a maximum width of 3 cm and a minimum length of 15 cm.

Stab wounds to the right in the mid-front line and in the lower right abdomen, the weapon is swung when it stabs the body in the lower right abdomen in a vertically stabbed pattern.

Then, judging from the pattern and description of the violence of sharp weapons, the wounds are located on parts of the body that can be reached and there are vital organs in those parts.

Injuries to the neck are cuts that are not too deep on the left and right sides of the neck. In addition, the victim's clothing that covered the sharp violent wound was not torn.

So from these facts, it can be explained that the injuries - as stated by the police - were carried out by the victim himself, namely a stab wound to the right abdomen, cutting off the right main intestinal artery which resulted in bleeding.

Meanwhile, the amount of blood buried in the victim's abdominal cavity was 950 ml. This amount of blood can cause death because it exceeds one-third of the blood flowing in the body.

As for the time of death of the victim based on changes after death in the form of bruises still missing on the emphasis and stiffness of the corpse, it can be estimated that the time of death was 8 to 12 hours before the external examination, i.e. 01.25 a.m. to 05.25 a.m. local time on January 13, 2022.

"The reason for the death of the victim by suicide is based on the location of the wound on the part of the body that was reached by the victim..."

[...]

Meanwhile, the cause of the bruises was a blunt force, which can be estimated from the color of the injury 1 to 3 days before death.

The stab wound cut off a large artery so that the bleeding was profuse. Death can occur in just a few minutes so the victim's condition cannot be helped.

"The cause of the victim's death was a stab wound to the lower right abdomen that hit a large blood vessel or artery, which was carried out by the victim himself," said Commissioner Jansen.

[...]

British Media Highlights, The Sun-Mirror On Matthew Harper In Bali Who Was Allegedly Murdered Is Denied With This Evidence

IF the coverage is accurate, BIG IF:

IMO, complete BS that someone would stab themselves 5 times in the abdomen and neck.

The analysis of stab wounds would more likely show it was impossible to stab himself in those places. You can stab another person anywhere. How do you stab yourself at 2 different angles on one side of your abdomen, unless you change which hand is holding the knife? And who can even hold a knife after the shock of 1 stab wound?.

Also, he had likely been dead well before the drama of her pretending to go out and then see him through the glass (died between 1:30 and 5:30am).

And there was another woman in the home, who perhaps came down only when someone was about to break a window.

And, they say they dismissed their own forensic lab's evidence.

The whole thing is a sham. But, other police forces have no juridiction in another country. When you live in another country, you live and die under their rules.

Either someone has paid officials off, and/or they don't want to scare away tourists and expats, and/or they don't want to go through the trouble of a trial.

Perhaps higher-level officials will intervene under dipllomatic pressure, IMO that's the only hope.

JMO

Police in the resort island of Bali have determined there was no element of homicide in the death of British national Matt Harper (47), who was fatally stabbed at a house where he was staying with his Indonesian-American girlfriend.

Denpasar Police chief Jansen Avitus Panjaitan on Wednesday said various pieces of evidence and an autopsy indicated Harper had taken his own life on the morning of January 14.

Harper had been living with his girlfriend Emmy Pakpahan (42) at a house in the Samatha Mumbul residential complex in South Kuta. Emmy was born in Indonesia but has American citizenship from a former marriage.

According to police, Emmy said Harper had woken her up at night and wanted them to go outside, so they both exited the house, then returned. “At that time the victim was said to be talking to himself and looked panicked,” said Panjaitan.

Police said closed-circuit television (CCTV) footage of the house showed Harper pacing on the terrace from 1.47 am until 6.00 am. The footage then indicated Harper had moved to the garage area, while Emmy was outside and talking on her phone. Emmy said she had left the house at 6.01 am to telephone Harper’s stepdaughter from his first marriage.

When Emmy tried to re-enter the house at 6.10 am, the door was locked from the inside. After looking through a window and noticing Harper on the floor, she used her smartphone to film him. She then apparently alerted at least one neighbour, who knocked on the door at about 6.30am. The noise awoke the house’s owner, Rizka Nirmalasari alias Ica, who had been sleeping on the second floor and is reportedly a relative of Emmy.

Upon checking her phone, Ica noticed some missed calls from Emmy. She telephoned Emmy, who was outside the house, and asked her to open the door. “So Emmy and the victim’s friend were outside. Then Emmy said the victim was inside harming himself,” Panjaitan was quoted as saying by detikcom.

After Ica opened the door, Emmy entered and found Harper in a prostrate position on the living room floor, near the kitchen, on his back, with multiple stab wounds and a knife next to him. He was taken to Universitas Udayana Hospital in Jimbaran, where he was pronounced dead on arrival. Ica contacted police.

Denpasar Police later questioned seven witnesses, including Emmy, Ica, a neighbour, and the doctor who conducted the autopsy at Sanglah Hospital.

Police believe Harper stabbed himself because he was depressed about losing his job as a chef and was under the influence of drugs. “So, the initial assumption is that the victim committed his actions because of depression,” said Panjaitan.

He said bruising to the man’s body had been sustained in a traffic accident on January 10, when Harper crashed a car into a shop in Suwung Kauh area, Denpasar. He said the Englishman had been taken to Bali Mandara Hospital after the accident but left before he could receive any treatment. A few days before the accident, Emmy had reported Harper to Kuta Police for alleged abuse.

Doctors on Monday said an autopsy showed that Harper had died of his stab wounds, which were likely self-inflicted. Police concurred. “So we conclude from the evidence, which is an autopsy result, the results of a forensic laboratory examination, then CCTV analysis and testimony from witnesses. We can conclude that the result of this victim’s death was suicide,” Panjaitan was quoted as saying by Tribunnews.com.

Police said the autopsy found 10 stab wounds, likely made by a kitchen knife with a blade measuring 3cm by 15cm. Panjaitan said the most severe wounds were to the chest and lower left abdomen. “Judging from the pattern and descriptions of the wounds, everything was reached by the victim’s hand,” he was quoted as saying by Berita Bali Online. He said there were less-deep wounds to the left and right sides of the neck, indicating the victim had attempted suicide with some hesitation.

JPNN.com reported that Harper had regularly consumed anti-depressants since losing his job as a chef because of the COVID-19 pandemic. Police said he had been a chef at Karma restaurant in South Kuta for 1 year and 11 months.

Bali Police Conclude Briton’s Stabbing Death a Suicide

[...]

[...]

[...]

I still have great difficulty understanding how someone could inflict so many wounds on themselves.
I wonder what the results of the toxicology report were? Just anti depressants or was anything else found? And if so did he take it himself or was he drugged by someone else? This could explain the reports of hallucinations.

Police in the resort island of Bali have determined there was no element of homicide in the death of British national Matt Harper (47), who was fatally stabbed at a house where he was staying with his Indonesian-American girlfriend.

Denpasar Police chief Jansen Avitus Panjaitan on Wednesday said various pieces of evidence and an autopsy indicated Harper had taken his own life on the morning of January 14.

Harper had been living with his girlfriend Emmy Pakpahan (42) at a house in the Samatha Mumbul residential complex in South Kuta. Emmy was born in Indonesia but has American citizenship from a former marriage.

According to police, Emmy said Harper had woken her up at night and wanted them to go outside, so they both exited the house, then returned. “At that time the victim was said to be talking to himself and looked panicked,” said Panjaitan.

Police said closed-circuit television (CCTV) footage of the house showed Harper pacing on the terrace from 1.47 am until 6.00 am. The footage then indicated Harper had moved to the garage area, while Emmy was outside and talking on her phone. Emmy said she had left the house at 6.01 am to telephone Harper’s stepdaughter from his first marriage.

When Emmy tried to re-enter the house at 6.10 am, the door was locked from the inside. After looking through a window and noticing Harper on the floor, she used her smartphone to film him. She then apparently alerted at least one neighbour, who knocked on the door at about 6.30am. The noise awoke the house’s owner, Rizka Nirmalasari alias Ica, who had been sleeping on the second floor and is reportedly a relative of Emmy.

Upon checking her phone, Ica noticed some missed calls from Emmy. She telephoned Emmy, who was outside the house, and asked her to open the door. “So Emmy and the victim’s friend were outside. Then Emmy said the victim was inside harming himself,” Panjaitan was quoted as saying by detikcom.

After Ica opened the door, Emmy entered and found Harper in a prostrate position on the living room floor, near the kitchen, on his back, with multiple stab wounds and a knife next to him. He was taken to Universitas Udayana Hospital in Jimbaran, where he was pronounced dead on arrival. Ica contacted police.

Denpasar Police later questioned seven witnesses, including Emmy, Ica, a neighbour, and the doctor who conducted the autopsy at Sanglah Hospital.

Police believe Harper stabbed himself because he was depressed about losing his job as a chef and was under the influence of drugs. “So, the initial assumption is that the victim committed his actions because of depression,” said Panjaitan.

He said bruising to the man’s body had been sustained in a traffic accident on January 10, when Harper crashed a car into a shop in Suwung Kauh area, Denpasar. He said the Englishman had been taken to Bali Mandara Hospital after the accident but left before he could receive any treatment. A few days before the accident, Emmy had reported Harper to Kuta Police for alleged abuse.

Doctors on Monday said an autopsy showed that Harper had died of his stab wounds, which were likely self-inflicted. Police concurred. “So we conclude from the evidence, which is an autopsy result, the results of a forensic laboratory examination, then CCTV analysis and testimony from witnesses. We can conclude that the result of this victim’s death was suicide,” Panjaitan was quoted as saying by Tribunnews.com.

Police said the autopsy found 10 stab wounds, likely made by a kitchen knife with a blade measuring 3cm by 15cm. Panjaitan said the most severe wounds were to the chest and lower left abdomen. “Judging from the pattern and descriptions of the wounds, everything was reached by the victim’s hand,” he was quoted as saying by Berita Bali Online. He said there were less-deep wounds to the left and right sides of the neck, indicating the victim had attempted suicide with some hesitation.

JPNN.com reported that Harper had regularly consumed anti-depressants since losing his job as a chef because of the COVID-19 pandemic. Police said he had been a chef at Karma restaurant in South Kuta for 1 year and 11 months.

... A few days before the accident, Emmy had reported Harper to Kuta Police for alleged abuse. ...

Did this alleged abuse have anything to do with his death?

Seems there's a lot more we don't know about this mystery ... trying to sort fact from fiction in often conflicting, translated articles is proving difficult. Better than good chance we'll never know the entire truth. JMO

... A few days before the accident, Emmy had reported Harper to Kuta Police for alleged abuse. ...

Did this alleged abuse have anything to do with his death?

Seems there's a lot more we don't know about this mystery ... trying to sort fact from fiction in often conflicting, translated articles is proving difficult. Better than good chance we'll never know the entire truth. JMO

Yes, I am sure there is plenty more. It may well be one of those stories that goes quiet for awhile then gets taken up by a national. It may well depend on how persistent his family are in pushing it, or if they are willing to accept the official report.

Lots of info to support suicide in this article. He was pacing for over 4 hours in the terrace, which suggests his mental state was not good. He crashed his car into a building and left without getting medical attention at the hospital, which is further evidence of the above. And finally, CCTV in the house shows that Emmy was outside at the time of the stabbing.

THE HEARTBROKEN family of the British dad who was stabbed to death in Bali are raising funds to bring his body back home.

Matt Harper, 48, from Gloucester, was found dead from multiple stab wounds in his home on the Indonesian island last week.

And now his devastated family has set up a Go.Fund.me page in a bid to raise money to fly his body back to the UK.

Cops are probing his death but have said that the current working theory is that his death was "suicide" - alleging he stabbed himself multiple times.

In a post from Matt's family his stepdaughter Lauren said he had died "in the most horrific and tragic way" but the circumstances "cannot be discussed at this present time due to an ongoing investigation."

She branded him "the best son, brother, husband, brother in law, uncle and fantastic Daddy to his children" and added: "We are truly heartbroken, we know Matt was a character and one that we can never forget.

"He was loved by so many of you, friends all over the world, near and far. He was funny, kind and intelligent; he would have done anything for those he loved.

"Please let’s all come together and help the family get Matt back to us in the UK which would at least provide some comfort knowing he is near to us."

His friends said that Matt who worked in Bali since February 2020, was on a video call with loved ones back in the UK when he was allegedly murdered.

But his Indonesian-born girlfriend Emmy Pakpahan who was quizzed by cops and remains under investigation, claims he was "hallucinating" and seemed "scared" before he died.

Heartbroken family of Brit stabbed in Bali raising money to bring body home

A grieving family from Gloucester are trying to raise money to be able to fly the body of a man who has died in Bali back to the UK.

Matt Harper’s family have so far raised more than £3,800 of the £10,000 needed via a Go.Fund.Me page.

[...]

Police believe the popular dad-of-two, 48, knifed himself in a grisly suicide but friends believe he would never have done such a thing.

[...]

"Unfortunately the circumstances [of his death] cannot be discussed due to an on-going investigation "

[...]

Family of man who died abroad set up appeal to repatriate his body

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crimecat8