Innocent!

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Darlie went to the hospital wearing her nightshirt. It was not crumpled in an evidence bag. The boys both had some knife wounds that did not penetrate far into the body. If Darlie were on the floor, the only way to get more depth to the stabs would be to raise the knife higher. The blood could/would have dripped off the knife from above her shoulder when she brought the knife back. And remember, these were tiny blood drops and not splatter.

A hammer and a knife are two entirely different weapons. But you got me thinking so I did a little experiment (hence the delay in responding). I already had a claw hammer on my deck so I grabbed a knife, a bucket of water and went outside to see if swinging these two weapons, if you will, resulted in the same patterns.

First I took a few practice swings with both dry and noted the difference of how I handled each weapon pretending I were trying to hurt someone. Holding the hammer the first thing I noticed was that my weapon's point of impact was roughly 18 inches above my thumb. As I swung the hammer I noted that the area of the hammer that would collect blood (and thus cast it off) went so freely behind my back that I accidently hit my back with the claw. I did this experiment only while standing up. I would have done more experiments with the hammer but that wasn't the weapon used in this case. I only used it to see if there would be a difference between the two weapons and their resulting cast off.

Next I did the same thing with a kitchen knife that has an 8 inch blade using just my right hand. The first thing I noticed with the knife was that my point of impact (and where the blood would be cast off from) was roughly 9 inches below my pinky. Standing up swinging I noticed that no matter how hard I tried I could never get the tip of the blade to go freely any further back than my elbow which always remained in front of me. The only time I got the point of the knife to go behind my shoulder was by tilting my wrist back once I was at the furthest that my arm could naturally go and even then it was hard to do and very awkward. Nothing I could imagine doing naturally in a fit of rage. The second thing I noticed was that with every upward swing the pinky side of my hand would curve out to the right. Then I stabbed with both hands. I could not get the tip of the blade behind my head unless I again tilted my wrists back.

I then did the same thing on my knees with one hand and then with both hands with the same results as standing up. Last, I did this on my hands and knees. I could only use one hand as the other was busy holding me up. With this experiment the results differed quite a bit. No matter how hard I tried the blade tip always faced down. I again went to the furthest my hand would naturally go back and tilted my wrist to see where the blade went. It still faced downward and away from my body.

Then I got my bucket of water. I experimented with the knife first simply because that was the weapon used. First I stood with my back facing about six feet from a wall. I took ten normal stabs and two with a two second breather with the knife as far back as possible. There was water behind me but it was off to my right about four feet away from me. There was no water on my back. I then took ten swings holding the knife with both hands facing the wall and ten swings away from the wall (again dipping into the water with each downward stroke as if it were my victim to reload my cast off). I also took a few 'breathers' at my furthest point back. I still had no water on my back. I estimated that I took no less than thirthy five stabs and had no cast off on my back to show for it.

I then did the same experiment with the hammer dipped in water holding and swinging as naturally as I could. I only did this with one hand as it was not the weapon used in the crime and was only used to see if cast off from the hammer differed from the knife. I dipped (only the nail end to collect water) and swung. This time I got cast off on my back on my first swing. I took ten more swings with one hand but that was enough to prove to me that a knife and hammer have different cast off patterns.

So.... after I did my unscientific experiment I thought maybe I should provide a link specifically siting cast off patterns of a knife. I found this:

http://www.enotes.com/forensic-science/cast-off-blood

Which says "The blood is usually flung away from the arc of movement, which means that it tends to land on nearby surfaces, rather than on the attacker." But while doing that search I found something that rather shocked me....

http://books.google.com/books?id=Cm...onepage&q=cast off trails blood knife&f=false

And please do open the link as I showed you the same respect by looking at your research. First and foremost note the author of the book. That is the same Tom Bevel who testified against Darlie. Hopefully the link opens to the page at issue but if not it's page 236. The very first thing you should see is a student holding a hammer. This picture is labled figure 10.9. Down further on the page is a "case example" which clearly describes the Routier case. The picture (Figure 10.10) on the next page shows the results of the experiment from figure 10.9 with cast off of the experiment on numerous places on both sides of the student's back. The picture beside it (figure 10.11) shows the back of Darlie's shirt as a comparison to figure 10.10 as proof that cast off blood from her swinging the knife ended up on her back. And please don't just count that one drop. Read Bevel's own words where he clearly states only one drop of one victim's blood was on her back. There wasn't sprays of blood. There wasn't even multiple drops from both victims. There was a single, solitary drop of blood..... blood from the son she says woke her up.

There's only two problems. One, the weapon in the Routier case was definately a knife, not a hammer. There was no need to do the experiment with the hammer unless a knife couldn't produce results that even remotely duplicated the cast off on Darlie's shirt. Had I been Bevel I would have felt compelled to prove that a knife (not a person) could produce that cast off pattern found on the back of the assailants shirt. Two, a knife and a hammer have two different cast off patterns (at least from my experiments and Bevel's as well as it seems since he opted for a hammer as opposed to the actual murder weapon). Bevel's own experiment showed that a hammer produced nothing remotely similar to the cast off on the back of Darlie's shirt yet he claims his experiment with the hammer replicates the spatter on Darlie's back. I'm certainly no scientist but I counted eleven spatters on the student's back and one on Darlie's back (as per Bevel's figure 10.11 which reads "this single spatter..."). I'm sorry but how exactly does eleven cast off spatters in all directions from a hammer compare to one one drop from a knife? And why isn't he doing experiments with a knife to prove spatter would produce the same (or similar) drop on her back?

I did the experiments myself and I know exactly why he opted to use a hammer over using the actual murder weapon in his experiments. The knife (which is definately the murder weapon) wouldn't produce the spatter found on her shirt. I've looked at this a number of ways. What I come down to is this.... the prosecution layed out a scenario of the above that isn't forensically possible along with a time line that noone could manage to do. I consider myself fit and I was exhausted just thinking about all that needed to be done in the two minutes she had to do it in.

Darlie claims she doesn't remember the attack (which to me seems plausible based on my experience). It's possible and very likely Darlie was attacked first (she was either the target all along or as the adult in the room she was the one that needed to be immobilized first due to her comparable strength). She made noise in the struggle, woke one or both boys but at some point passed out. Now that one or both of the boys are up the attacker either fears being identified by them or fears they will alert other adults with their screams. The attacker then goes after the boys while Darlie is unconscious or he presumes dead since he stabbed her shoulder (which in the dark he could have thought was closer to heart), slashed her thoat, and did whatever else to her as evidence in the photos.

At some point Damon crawls to the couch where Darlie is and tries to wake her. Who knows at what point this is but it's plausible that Darlie is laying on the couch passed out facing away from the attack. Damon tries to get to her but is attacked from behind. As he is standing in front of his mom who is laying with her back to him he is stabbed in the back. The stabs cast off Damon's blood onto Darlie's back. Based on her memory she wakes up because Damon hits her shoulder. By then the attacker assumes they are all dead and is turned around heading out (either because his plan to to do a simple robbery went wrong, his plan for a simple rape went wrong due to the kids in the room or his plan for a simple hit went went wrong). Either way Darlie appears dead (and based on what he thinks he did to her he thinks she is) and he is certain all the witnesses are dead (or at least near enough to death that they will not be physically able to immediately alert another adult for help before he can safely get away).

I know it's long but so are trial transcripts.

Darlie went to the hospital wearing her nightshirt. It was not crumpled in an evidence bag. The boys both had some knife wounds that did not penetrate far into the body. If Darlie were on the floor, the only way to get more depth to the stabs would be to raise the knife higher. The blood could/would have dripped off the knife from above her shoulder when she brought the knife back. And remember, these were tiny blood drops and not splatter.

That's news to me. The paramedic who transported her testified that he cut her nightgown off of her as soon as she was in the ambulance. Furthermore one of the serologists testified that wet blood dripped onto the bottom of an evidence bag from clothing (Darlie's nightgown) that had been placed inside while it was it was still wet. Oh, sorry..... Here's the link.

http://www.routiertranscripts.com/transcripts/volumes/vol-36.php#2

Way, way down at the bottom..... you know, where most people never quite get to because they are bored silly. Yes, if you scroll way down to the bottom you will see where the serologist admits that the clothing (marked exhibit 25 for anyone who actually cares) was so wet when it entered the bag that it dripped onto the bottom of the bag.

Sorry I didn't make it clear that the blood I was talking about were the drops on the BACK of her nightshirt. Tiny spots of the boys blood were found there with tails indicating they were deposited from overhead. That's the evidence that helped convict her. No doubt the front of her nightshirt was dripping, but that was her blood.

Sorry I didn't make it clear that the blood I was talking about were the drops on the BACK of her nightshirt. Tiny spots of the boys blood were found there with tails indicating they were deposited from overhead. That's the evidence that helped convict her. No doubt the front of her nightshirt was dripping, but that was her blood.

Um.... no there weren't. There was a single spot (one..... only one) on her back.

http://books.google.com/books?id=Cm...onepage&q=cast off trails blood knife&f=false

That is the link showing the picture of the back of her shirt along with Bevel (who it the author of the book) stating that only a single drop of cast off blood was found on her back. And it's definately a far cry from the linear pattern of spatter on her back that he testified to in court. Or does a solitary drop constitute a linear pattern these days?

A hammer and a knife are two entirely different weapons. But you got me thinking so I did a little experiment (hence the delay in responding). I already had a claw hammer on my deck so I grabbed a knife, a bucket of water and went outside to see if swinging these two weapons, if you will, resulted in the same patterns.

First I took a few practice swings with both dry and noted the difference of how I handled each weapon pretending I were trying to hurt someone. Holding the hammer the first thing I noticed was that my weapon's point of impact was roughly 18 inches above my thumb. As I swung the hammer I noted that the area of the hammer that would collect blood (and thus cast it off) went so freely behind my back that I accidently hit my back with the claw. I did this experiment only while standing up. I would have done more experiments with the hammer but that wasn't the weapon used in this case. I only used it to see if there would be a difference between the two weapons and their resulting cast off.

Next I did the same thing with a kitchen knife that has an 8 inch blade using just my right hand. The first thing I noticed with the knife was that my point of impact (and where the blood would be cast off from) was roughly 9 inches below my pinky. Standing up swinging I noticed that no matter how hard I tried I could never get the tip of the blade to go freely any further back than my elbow which always remained in front of me. The only time I got the point of the knife to go behind my shoulder was by tilting my wrist back once I was at the furthest that my arm could naturally go and even then it was hard to do and very awkward. Nothing I could imagine doing naturally in a fit of rage. The second thing I noticed was that with every upward swing the pinky side of my hand would curve out to the right. Then I stabbed with both hands. I could not get the tip of the blade behind my head unless I again tilted my wrists back.

I then did the same thing on my knees with one hand and then with both hands with the same results as standing up. Last, I did this on my hands and knees. I could only use one hand as the other was busy holding me up. With this experiment the results differed quite a bit. No matter how hard I tried the blade tip always faced down. I again went to the furthest my hand would naturally go back and tilted my wrist to see where the blade went. It still faced downward and away from my body.

Then I got my bucket of water. I experimented with the knife first simply because that was the weapon used. First I stood with my back facing about six feet from a wall. I took ten normal stabs and two with a two second breather with the knife as far back as possible. There was water behind me but it was off to my right about four feet away from me. There was no water on my back. I then took ten swings holding the knife with both hands facing the wall and ten swings away from the wall (again dipping into the water with each downward stroke as if it were my victim to reload my cast off). I also took a few 'breathers' at my furthest point back. I still had no water on my back. I estimated that I took no less than thirthy five stabs and had no cast off on my back to show for it.

I then did the same experiment with the hammer dipped in water holding and swinging as naturally as I could. I only did this with one hand as it was not the weapon used in the crime and was only used to see if cast off from the hammer differed from the knife. I dipped (only the nail end to collect water) and swung. This time I got cast off on my back on my first swing. I took ten more swings with one hand but that was enough to prove to me that a knife and hammer have different cast off patterns.

So.... after I did my unscientific experiment I thought maybe I should provide a link specifically siting cast off patterns of a knife. I found this:

http://www.enotes.com/forensic-science/cast-off-blood

Which says "The blood is usually flung away from the arc of movement, which means that it tends to land on nearby surfaces, rather than on the attacker." But while doing that search I found something that rather shocked me....

And please do open the link as I showed you the same respect by looking at your research. First and foremost note the author of the book. That is the same Tom Bevel who testified against Darlie. Hopefully the link opens to the page at issue but if not it's page 236. The very first thing you should see is a student holding a hammer. This picture is labled figure 10.9. Down further on the page is a "case example" which clearly describes the Routier case. The picture (Figure 10.10) on the next page shows the results of the experiment from figure 10.9 with cast off of the experiment on numerous places on both sides of the student's back. The picture beside it (figure 10.11) shows the back of Darlie's shirt as a comparison to figure 10.10 as proof that cast off blood from her swinging the knife ended up on her back. And please don't just count that one drop. Read Bevel's own words where he clearly states only one drop of one victim's blood was on her back. There wasn't sprays of blood. There wasn't even multiple drops from both victims. There was a single, solitary drop of blood..... blood from the son she says woke her up.

There's only two problems. One, the weapon in the Routier case was definately a knife, not a hammer. There was no need to do the experiment with the hammer unless a knife couldn't produce results that even remotely duplicated the cast off on Darlie's shirt. Had I been Bevel I would have felt compelled to prove that a knife (not a person) could produce that cast off pattern found on the back of the assailants shirt. Two, a knife and a hammer have two different cast off patterns (at least from my experiments and Bevel's as well as it seems since he opted for a hammer as opposed to the actual murder weapon). Bevel's own experiment showed that a hammer produced nothing remotely similar to the cast off on the back of Darlie's shirt yet he claims his experiment with the hammer replicates the spatter on Darlie's back. I'm certainly no scientist but I counted eleven spatters on the student's back and one on Darlie's back (as per Bevel's figure 10.11 which reads "this single spatter..."). I'm sorry but how exactly does eleven cast off spatters in all directions from a hammer compare to one one drop from a knife? And why isn't he doing experiments with a knife to prove spatter would produce the same (or similar) drop on her back?

I did the experiments myself and I know exactly why he opted to use a hammer over using the actual murder weapon in his experiments. The knife (which is definately the murder weapon) wouldn't produce the spatter found on her shirt. I've looked at this a number of ways. What I come down to is this.... the prosecution layed out a scenario of the above that isn't forensically possible along with a time line that noone could manage to do. I consider myself fit and I was exhausted just thinking about all that needed to be done in the two minutes she had to do it in.

Darlie claims she doesn't remember the attack (which to me seems plausible based on my experience). It's possible and very likely Darlie was attacked first (she was either the target all along or as the adult in the room she was the one that needed to be immobilized first due to her comparable strength). She made noise in the struggle, woke one or both boys but at some point passed out. Now that one or both of the boys are up the attacker either fears being identified by them or fears they will alert other adults with their screams. The attacker then goes after the boys while Darlie is unconscious or he presumes dead since he stabbed her shoulder (which in the dark he could have thought was closer to heart), slashed her thoat, and did whatever else to her as evidence in the photos.
At some point Damon crawls to the couch where Darlie is and tries to wake her. Who knows at what point this is but it's plausible that Darlie is laying on the couch passed out facing away from the attack. Damon tries to get to her but is attacked from behind. As he is standing in front of his mom who is laying with her back to him he is stabbed in the back. The stabs cast off Damon's blood onto Darlie's back. Based on her memory she wakes up because Damon hits her shoulder. By then the attacker assumes they are all dead and is turned around heading out (either because his plan to to do a simple robbery went wrong, his plan for a simple rape went wrong due to the kids in the room or his plan for a simple hit went went wrong). Either way Darlie appears dead (and based on what he thinks he did to her he thinks she is) and he is certain all the witnesses are dead (or at least near enough to death that they will not be physically able to immediately alert another adult for help before he can safely get away).

I know it's long but so are trial transcripts.

she couldnt sleep thru the baby turning over but slept thru someone entering the house. what medical proof is there that she was unconscious? if she was the target to immobilize, then why the long cuts of superficial skin on her, and knife width jabbing into organs stabs to the boys? the pics on her site are discolored to make it look like what it wasnt.

There's been some false statements on Darlie's site that all the evidence from the house was bundled together and placed in bags which is what I thought you were referring to. Darlie's shirt was removed, but she wore it while being transported to the hospital. Damon and Devon's blood could not have been transferred after Darlie left the house. A transfer does not have a drop pattern.

It was not one spot. Here's a link to the transcript testimony.http://www.routiertranscripts.com/transcripts/volumes/vol-39.php This is Bevel's testimony that concerns a mixture of Damon, Darlie and Devon's blood.

I don't know who to believe.... you or my lyin' eyes. I'm looking at the picture which clearly shows a solitary drop of blood. The caption below the picture reads, and I quote "This single spatter stain was found on the back shoulder of a murder suspect. The blood belongs to one of two victims in the house....." And the book was written by Bevel so I doubt he would make the mistake of saying there were only one stain if in fact there were many.

And I am trying to find the photo of the nightshirt which shows three drops, or spots if you prefer, circled as being the places tested. It was on a video, too.

And I am trying to find the photo of the nightshirt which shows three drops, or spots if you prefer, circled as being the places tested. It was on a video, too.

Whether it's one drop or three drops really isn't the point. There were two other spatters high up on her right shoulder toward the front. So there were three spatters total. The point is that many people mistakenly believe she multiple blood spatters all over her when she didn't.

I'm just so thankful that all the smoke and mirror scenarios in the world that Darlie's supporters can cook up, have absolutely no chance of getting her off Death Row.

As any rate, I should log out and do some work.

Darn you, WS, for being so awesome.

I'm just so thankful that all the smoke and mirror scenarios in the world that Darlie's supporters can cook up, have absolutely no chance of getting her off Death Row.

As any rate, I should log out and do some work.

Darn you, WS, for being so awesome.

Smoke and mirrors? Not really. It's just that nothing about this case makes sense. The timeline makes no sense but I'll overlook that for now. If her intent was for both boys to be dead why did she scream for Darin before Damon was dead? Why risk him living and testifying against her when she could have just sat there and waited until he was dead... then start screaming for help?

And before someone starts saying "well, an officer asked her to help the boy twice and she just stood there, etc." I listened to the 911 call. In that call you can hear that same officer, and I quote, saying "lay down.... ok.... just sit down." He also says Darlie remained in the same spot and was still on the phone with 911 at that time. But an audio expert testified that the 911 call proved she was running from room to room staging and cleaning (all in front of Darin oddly enough).

Then we have crime scene photos and reports stating there were roughly twenty towels located in the kitchen, livingroom and hall area. I believe at least twelve were taken into evidence. Darin says Darlie was running back and forth to the kitchen bringing him wet towels (which explains the audio of her moving through the house and why the sink looked like a clean-up attempt was made). But if in fact she was running around staging the scene where did the wet towels come from? Did they magically drop from the ceiling while Darlie was busy cleaning up? And wouldn't Darin notice she was cleaning rather than helping him?

This is JMO...

I think that Darlie may have wanted to kill herself that night. She had written in her diary about 4 weeks earlier that she wanted to die & something along the lines of "please forgive me for what I am about to do". It has also been said that she was having serious issues with PPD.

So, let's say that Darlie is still in the throws of PPD, she has a knockdown/drag-out with Darin that night where they threaten divorce (which would totally destoy her whole "perfect life" act).

So, Darlie does the whole "I'm not sharing a bed with you!" thing fully expecting for Darin to try to make nice. When Darin doesn't cave & try to "make-up" (instead he brings her pillow down from the Master bedroom) I think she laid there, just thinking.

I think she laid there, just seething, until her depression got the best of her, and she snapped.

I think she got to the point of no return and then couldn't "go down with the ship"...

JMOO...

This is JMO...

I think that Darlie may have wanted to kill herself that night. She had written in her diary about 4 weeks earlier that she wanted to die & something along the lines of "please forgive me for what I am about to do". It has also been said that she was having serious issues with PPD.

So, let's say that Darlie is still in the throws of PPD, she has a knockdown/drag-out with Darin that night where they threaten divorce (which would totally destoy her whole "perfect life" act).

So, Darlie does the whole "I'm not sharing a bed with you!" thing fully expecting for Darin to try to make nice. When Darin doesn't cave & try to "make-up" (instead he brings her pillow down from the Master bedroom) I think she laid there, just thinking.

I think she laid there, just seething, until her depression got the best of her, and she snapped.

I think she got to the point of no return and then couldn't "go down with the ship"...

JMOO...
This is pretty much what I believe as well.

My own opinion is that she never intended to harm herself that night. I think it was a last minute decision, and that seeing all of her own blood, she called 911 for herself.

Smoke and mirrors? Not really. It's just that nothing about this case makes sense. The timeline makes no sense but I'll overlook that for now. If her intent was for both boys to be dead why did she scream for Darin before Damon was dead? Why risk him living and testifying against her when she could have just sat there and waited until he was dead... then start screaming for help?

And before someone starts saying "well, an officer asked her to help the boy twice and she just stood there, etc." I listened to the 911 call. In that call you can hear that same officer, and I quote, saying "lay down.... ok.... just sit down." He also says Darlie remained in the same spot and was still on the phone with 911 at that time. But an audio expert testified that the 911 call proved she was running from room to room staging and cleaning (all in front of Darin oddly enough).

Then we have crime scene photos and reports stating there were roughly twenty towels located in the kitchen, livingroom and hall area. I believe at least twelve were taken into evidence. Darin says Darlie was running back and forth to the kitchen bringing him wet towels (which explains the audio of her moving through the house and why the sink looked like a clean-up attempt was made). But if in fact she was running around staging the scene where did the wet towels come from? Did they magically drop from the ceiling while Darlie was busy cleaning up? And wouldn't Darin notice she was cleaning rather than helping him?
I'm afraid so. Darlie is right where she belongs.

As to the rest of the points raised, they've been hammered to death in threads elsewhere on this forum. I have no desire to hop on the merry-go-round, or shoot anything down point by point. I honestly can't muster up enough give a damn to delve deeply into this because Darlie isn't coming off Death Row; and all the back and forth or rehashing of events won't change that. Suffice it to say, I don't bear any ill will to those who believe Darlie is innocent. To each their own.

My opinions...

at some point prior to that night, the babysitter walked in to find her almost smother the baby

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dutah82!!
Back