Interim discussion regarding questions from the jury and Arias on the stand #81

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
popsicle and G&AMom, thanks for your answers :-) I've been thinking alot about nurmi lately, if everything he is saying about Travis were true, then Travis would be the type of person nurmi defends, and JA would be the "victim" he would be destroying. I wonder if it's hard for him to change roles.

Hi all! Sure wish there was trial today!
I showed my hubby the shower pics. He said he thought Travis had to know she was there because with a glass door, how could someone go for over 5 minutes without knowing someone else was there. He said, "there's no way you wouldn't know I was right there for that long". He said it looked like she said something to him that made him turn around in surprise at 5:27:18. Not sure I agree with him, but thought I'd pass it on. :)

Now I have a question. Can you tell what is in the pic at 5:28:54????

I know we aren't allowed to post the pics here, but hopefully this link of them is ok.
http://thepotpapers.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/collage_zps00e64932.jpg

I agree with your hubby!

BBM - TA's back - from your link but side view TA's head looking down in link below.

Here's another shower series collage. Looks like there are some photo placement/time stamp differences between the two sets of collages:
Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - The state Rests in The State v. Jodi Arias: break in trial until 28 January 2013 #12

:floorlaugh: Were here the day the discussion started about Donovan Bering and Darryl Brewer? People were tearing their hair out trying to figure out which DB was being referred to.

I'm a great advocate of the fine art of typing things out unless they are well-established abbreviations or acronyms such as the FBI.

As a newb here, I still have to stop and pause when I see someone write:

"IMO JA is just like KC but KT is no JB, but regardless of the DT they should have both gotten the DP, if only JM tried both cases, he would have won over either PD, MOO, and I wish JVM would replace NG on HLN because I'm tired of hearing about MM and RB, and IDK about DB, but I think he's an AATF."

JM2C, UC

I showed my hubby the shower pics. He said he thought Travis had to know she was there because with a glass door, how could someone go for over 5 minutes without knowing someone else was there. He said, "there's no way you wouldn't know I was right there for that long". He said it looked like she said something to him that made him turn around in surprise at 5:27:18. Not sure I agree with him, but thought I'd pass it on. :)

I know we aren't allowed to post the pics here, but hopefully this link of them is ok.

Oh Good someone else sees that too!
I have no idea but I asked a while back. I do wonder though. Still

Just like it seems like it wouldn't make any difference to say she must have hurt her finger while killing Travis, which for a change would be believable. JM has focused a lot of that third gas can - was it just part of proving she's a liar or is there more to it? Might he have evidence of a little bonfire off I-85 in the same timeframe?

I think the point of when she injured her finger gets lost in the rest of her BS, but I believe that is the "only" evidence she can show that Travis ever abused her. Without that finger injury, and MM's statement that he saw bruises on her neck......she's got NOTHING! I think it's very important. MM has already admitted he would lie for her, so she really needs that finger injury pointing back to Travis.

:floorlaugh: Oh, my. You and I think SO MUCH alike! Walmart=NIGHTMARE! I'd PAY some Starbucks skaters $12 to return something there for me.

And she parked and went in TWICE?!? JM needs to hammer THAT home!

Especially going to the Walmart return line, no way, I don't even like to do that on a normal day, let alone in the middle of a 3000 mile trip, sheesh! Now we finally know what took so long in Salinas, it wasn't the long line at the salon that held her up :doh:

What more needs to come? She’s guilty. She admits she killed him and by killed him I mean she admits she over killed him. And I believe she should be sentenced accordingly but to make a grandstand death penalty case out of this obsessive woman scorned case just turned the whole thing into a giant circus.

Wishbone, it has been said that prosecutors in the Casey Anthony case had much more but didn't bring it because they were so confident the jury would get it right. Well, look what happened. If JM wants to bring in weeks of evidence, I am good with that. if jurors want to question her until she squirms to death, I am good with that too. And although LWOP is fine with me, the prosecutors office had reason to ask for the death penalty. This crime was heinous and preplanned. No one is grandstanding here.

IMO, it's the defense that is sickening and well overdone. Yes we need good defense lawyers, but Nurmi knows his client is guilty, he knows she is a liar and he smears the victim. That is reprehensible. A good defense attorney can say NO. Only reason he is doing this is for his fifteen minutes of fame. Good luck with that!

As an avid trial watcher I am astounded at the rate of conviction based on mere circumstantial evidence. I am referring of course to the more “glamorous” white middle class homicides that manage to get media attention. I realize that this subset of cases is NOT a random sample and hence one cannot deduce much of anything.

BUT it seems to me jurors often use “compelling common sense” when deliberating and view the circumstances as critical to the disposition of the homicide cases in question. Many cases hinge on just one small factor – a false alibi, a bogus 911 call, a staged crime scene etc. I suspect that a jury could find JA guilty just based on the gas cans alone.

Obviously defense lawyers think they can reduce all evidence presented by the state to a status of “suspect” or at least doubtful. The reasonable doubt criterium is a difficult concept to fully delineate. Lawyers like Jose Baez managed to bastardize the concept by claiming that if a contention – any prosecution “contention” can be countered by an alternative explanation whatever the explanation then “reasonable doubt” must be invoked. Defense lawyers will frequently purchase “contrary expert” testimony for the sole purpose of invoking “reasonable doubt”.

Happily the jury fact finders typically arrive at the correct conclusion despite the theater and obfuscation.

I don't mean this in a snarky way, but I would probably convict her on her full Brazilian wax job. That REALLY shows that she INTENDED on going to see Travis, and to try to seduce him. Combined with the rental car, gas cans, phone off in AZ, dyed hair, and stolen gun --- she's toast. But if I were a juror, she'd be toast the minute I saw those vajay pics.

popsicle and G&AMom, thanks for your answers :-) I've been thinking alot about nurmi lately, if everything he is saying about Travis were true, then Travis would be the type of person nurmi defends, and JA would be the "victim" he would be destroying. I wonder if it's hard for him to change roles.

That is a good thought! But, as a lot of us believe, JA was the abuser. So, he really is doing the job he is used to in defending her.

Here is an interesting comparison between premeditated murder and a spontaneous one. I'm not sure which site I got this from.

Example of a Willful, Deliberate, Premeditated Murder

Imagine that Joannie and her husband Tim are in a terrible fight in the kitchen. Tim tells Joannie that he is going to get a divorce and will thereafter seek full custody of their two young children. Joannie states, “Wait here. I need to go to the bathroom. I will be right back.” She walks down the hall, but goes into the bedroom, rather than the bathroom, and removes a handgun from the nightstand drawer. She then walks to the bathroom and flushes the toilet. Hiding the handgun in the pocket of her bathrobe, she walks back into the kitchen, removes it, and shoots Tim four times in the abdomen, killing him.

In this scenario, Joannie probably could be convicted of premeditated murder in most jurisdictions. Joannie shoots and kills Tim in a calm, methodical manner, evidencing deliberation. Her manufactured excuse and flushing of the toilet indicate planning. The act of shooting Tim four times shows that Joannie has a specific intent to kill and a strong and calculated desire to bring about Tim’s death. Note that timing is not an issue here. Even a few minutes are enough to carry out a premeditated murder if the proper facts are present.

Example of a Spontaneous Killing

Compare the previous example with this scenario. Frank, Dillon’s supervisor, calls Dillon into his office and fires him. Enraged, Dillon grabs a heavy brass paperweight from the top of Frank’s desk and strikes him in the forehead, killing him instantly. In this example, Dillon acts in anger, not calm, cool, reflection. The act of grabbing a heavy brass paperweight appears impulsive, not planned. There is no evidence to indicate that Dillon knew he would be fired or knew that there was a brass paperweight on Frank’s desk. In addition, the single blow to the head does not necessarily indicate that Dillon had a strong and calculated desire to kill Frank. Dillon’s conduct may be supported by murder intent (most likely implied malice, knowingly, or recklessly under circumstances manifesting extreme indifference to the value of human life), but there is no evidence of specific intent to kill, deliberation, or premeditation. Thus Frank’s killing would probably not be first-degree premeditated murder in most jurisdictions

I still can't get Travis sending Jodi those awful texts on May 26 and then nine days later she was 1,000 miles away at his house having sex with him and taking the dirty pictures. Plus Jodi told Darrell at the end of May that she was taking a long road trip, and one of the places she mentioned was Arizona. I can understand that Jodi was mad enough to kill him. I even saw during one of her interviews or read a transcript somewhere in which Jodi admitted being a little upset about not getting to go to Cancun. I just can't believe that he willingly let her come into his home (or begged her to come there) and had sex with her. This just doesn't make sense. The roommates never saw her, and no one saw the rental car.

BBM

This very thing always bothered me, too. However, last week when JA testified Travis had told her he was getting signs from God he was supposed to marry Mimi Hall, things started to make more sense. We know Travis blogged about wanting to find a wife. We know Mimi told him she only wanted to be friends, which had to be difficult for him. We also know he was still trying to get over Lisa Andrews. So...consider his state of mind. He was probably depressed, lonely, maybe feeling sorry for himself. Along comes Jodi who pays him lots of attention and (ahem) affection, and maybe he was using her to make himself feel better. I'm sure he wasn't proud of it, I'm sure he didn't want anyone to know, and I imagine he still hated her and thought very little of her. But, she caught him at a moment of weakness and he gave into temptation. Makes perfect sense to me.

How could he have ever known what she was really there to do?:cry:

I honestly don't believe Jodi thought this was gonna last so long or be so brutal. Nurmi is experienced enough to know. He also tries to get her to shut up a few times, but as usual Jodi knows best. :rolleyes:

Nurmi's taking a lot of heat for his horror of a client.

He SHOULD take the heat. In the beginning he could have told her to claim insanity or he would walk. He never had to go with self defense and smear the victim. That is not good lawyering. That is slime. Maybe he and Baez can go into business together. No movies, no making big bucks off the victim. They disgust honest people.

Oh Good someone else sees that too!
I have no idea but I asked a while back. I do wonder though. Still

I have an odd feeling about the way he is positioned in the shot that just shows his middle torse, I've never seen a man sit in a shower in that position, not that I'm a peeper or anything, let's just clear that up right now (being mindful of the company we keep in here :floorlaugh: ), but that appeared to be another 'accidental' shot to me, but try as I might I cannot see any blood spatter in the frame. odd, just odd... anyone else??

I agree with your hubby!

BBM - TA's back - from your link but side view TA's head looking down in link below.

Here's another shower series collage. Looks like there are some photo placement/time stamp differences between the two sets of collages:
Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - The state Rests in The State v. Jodi Arias: break in trial until 28 January 2013 #12

Thank you for that! It shows the picture I was asking about clearer.

Edit: Well, just looked at the timestamp 5:28:54 again in both pics. You're right, they do not seem to be the same pic. Or are they? Frustrating!

I joined the trial/case with JM beginning his cross of Jodi. Did the defense show the jury the actual "Travis Alexander's" t-shirt or simply Jodi's smiling pic of herself wearing it? The defense abuse expert will reportedly be using the t-shirt as evidence of Travis' "controlling" Jodi, but the Justice4Travis FB site says the back of the shirt says, "Being Better Blog" (Travis' site), and that it wasn't made for her at all. Was the shirt found and entered into evidence? Can't imagine JM not turning the shirt around for the jury if he had the shirt and Travis' blog site is written on the back.

I guess I am the only one that likes WalMart!! Ha!!

I don't mind Walmart. In fact, I was just there this morning Easter shopping. There was a huge display of plastic egg-filled Pop Rocks by the checkout. I didn't know whether to :floorlaugh: or :hills:

Scarred for life!

I think there is a good possibility that Travis did not know Jodi was taking pics of him in the shower. For all we know, she "left" his home after loading up her car. It is interesting that all except two pics that show Travis' face are side shots and others don't show his face at all all. The pic at 5:27:18 gives me the impression that Travis thought he may have heard something. Then we have at 5:29:20 pic of his face straight on, most likely sitting in the shower (I am imagining Jodi pointing the knife at travis and in response he slowly lowers himself to the floor, as if trying to back away, stunned). As Travis rose to confront Jodi, she plunged the knife into his chest. The moment would have been perfect, because Travis' arms would have been out to his side against the walls/door frame of the shower as he raised to standing (imagine Christ on the cross). Just my 25 cents!

I'm not sure how anyone, anyone who cuts another person's throat can be overcharged. Assassins have a name for it. It's called a "Columbian Necktie". And it certainly would not be considered a move you'd use to protect yourself from an attack. That is an attack of pure rage. jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cheeseDreams