Interim discussion regarding questions from the jury and Arias on the stand #82

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
not sure if it makes me more civilized or not but I am keeping track of her lies (and mistakes in which lies she remembers she told which way on what day). Yes I am.

Yes hln profits every time someone turns on a teevee and tunes it to their station. (I personally haven't turned it on one time while following the trial... speaking only for myself of course)

(My bolding) Can you help me then? I could have sworn the first time I heard JA say Travis said 'F-ing kill you B---' was when he body slammed her and she got scared and ran for the gun. In all the latest testimony it seems she's saying he said that right after she shot him. Do you have this annotated?

BBM: JMO, but I think the "game changing moment" was when Mr. Martinez got to cross-examine Jodi Arias because that is when everyone got to see and hear the REAL Jodi Arias !

She was snarky, sarcastic, indignant and arrogant when Mr. M was cross-examining her -- totally different than the meek, meely-mouth, shrinking violet, abused woman she wants everyone to believe she is !

JMO ...

:seeya:[/QUO

Seeing poor Travis's body.

because they linked the pedophilia to the abuse and said the abuse intensified or manifested itself because she discovered he was a pedophile which angered him and sparked the abuse?

Another ?-it sounds like there is a different standard in AZ at least for reaction in self defense cases for "battered women" so that the standard is not what a "reasonable person" would do but what a battered woman" who had experienced x,y,z would do.

Does this also mean that evidence regarding abuse is allowed in even if it would violate other rules of evidence like hearsay, relevance etc? Is there some kind of "battered woman" exception or something?

Even the two years I worked in litigation way back when, I did appellate work just arguing in front of judges on civil matters so my grasp of evidentiary rules is pretty poor.

I just have questions because I was fairly astounded by the scope and amount of, seemingly to me, irrelevant and inadmissible evidence allowed in regarding her whole life story and allegations regarding Travis but since I hardly ever see trials I don't know if it is actually as odd as it seemed.

Its verrryyy tangential, and if I was the judge I would probably have kept it out, but the measure is whether the evidence makes a fact of consequence in the determination of the matter, more likely than without it. Arguably, if JA is claiming that TA was a violent sex pervert who made her do degrading sex acts, then his predilection for little boys is possibly probative of that fact. The prosecution can rebut that evidence with evidence showing that TA is not a pedophile, to an extent that he would not have been able to had she not raised the issue. I also think JM is giving her all the rope she needs to hang herself.

BBM:

:seeya: I was thinking this -- BUT, Travis' family heard it so they would have said something if it was not him ...

:waitasec: Wait -- can you do a voice comparison ?

The video of Travis that Dr. Drew had on last week -- the one where Travis is telling the story to his friends -- compare that voice to the tape played in court ...

KWIM ? May not help but ya never know !

:seeya:

Am sure they could do a comparison, but taped to taped may not be as accurate, don't know. Family may have not had the opportunity to voice an opinion on the recording. For all we know Juan has something up his sleeve concerning the sex tape. Another Bombshell for Jodi!

ETA: on the slurring that I hear in parts of the tape, I would NOT think a phone recording would do this. It sounds like something you would have heard on the old tape recorders in playback mode, not the newer digital ones, the ones waaaaay before those. I studied classical piano and used an old recorder to tape my playing so I could critique playback, but it made me nuts because of the inconsistent speed/slurring on playback. Bet that sex tape was made by someone Jodi though sounded like Travis and done on an old recorder then recorded onto her phone!!!!!

hi all!
Just posted this article in the armchair psych thread. Here's my fave part:
"The final answer is that there is no mold or diagnosis that defines Arias’s behavior. She was obsessively in love and was willing to do whatever it took to keep and control her man. Chillingly, this is a much worse situation, because there would be no way to predict this or ever see it coming. Not for Travis, not for the pundits, not for me and not even for Jodi, herself. A cautionary tale indeed, if you find yourself in an obsessive relationship."

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/reading-between-the-headlines/201303/is-jodi-arias-sociopath

Interesting comments too!

Thanks! Thirteen seconds is a long time! IMO!

I am not really for or against the death penalty. But I do feel strongly it should be humane. Not for the condemned, benefit but for the rest of us. It's speaks to our humanity. They should be put down like a rabid dog. I see it more as a mercy killing for a sick beast than as a punishment.

All IMO

I feel very much the same way! I've often said once someone decides to commit grievous crimes, they give up the right to be a member of the human race. This has been in reference to mass murderers, including dictators who commit genocide.

I do believe in forgiveness, and rehabilitation is possible for some. And I believe some cannot ever be rehabilitated. JA falls into this category, imo.

What If There Is Abuse Or
Violence In My Relationship?
There is a continuum of behaviors within a relationship that can be called abusive. They range from being slightly disrespectful to your partner, such as raising your voice in an argument; increasing to using physical violence to control the partner. Most disrespectful and violent behavior is about controlling the partner. There is a common understanding that these men and women do not change. This is only true when the person is not getting treatment. Research shows that about 5% of violent relationships are where females are doing the intimidation. I often hear from men that the women they are with are violent with them, and that they should be in treatment. Of course, this statement usually precedes that man's full change in his behavior. But, more important than this is a fact that most of us who peruse newspaper headlines can confirm just with our anecdotal experience.

When a woman is violent with a man,
it might be embarrassing & maybe painful for the man.

When a man gets violent with a woman
It can mean life and death!

==============================================

This is from LaViolettes DV Website. Frightening, imo, the way she dismisses violence from women.

http://www.realhope.com/home_study_course.php

What a biased tool!

I also think that's why she cut his throat, because at that point he was too badly hurt to defend himself or get to the stairs (or wherever his phone was, do we know?) so he started yelling. I still haven't decided which I think came first, if she shot was last I think it was to be sure he was dead before she got into (and vulnerable herself) the shower to clean off, but shooting him first makes a great deal of sense, she thought he would die easy, one shot, all done but she had to go to plan B with the knife when it didn't turn out so easy. Both make a lot of sense to me.

In the lower corner of the sitting shower pic I think I see flying blood, and that also would make sense whether she first shot him or him in the neck with the knife milliseconds before the pic was accidentally snapped when her right hand flexed as her left hand did whatever it did. But holding both a weapon and camera in her hands at the same time just doesn't sound like someone who intends to deliver a deadly shot or blow. Okay, I'm rambling like someone we all know so well so I'll hush up here.

Hi ya'll :seeya:

hehe you're not rambling..
your theory is not that far fetched, however, you would have to believe
JA :jail: story over ME Dr Kevin's report ?

I tend to believe the ME and not because Whoa handsome he is; although.. any way we could convince Dr Kevin to do a shower shoot for a Calvin ad?? :please:

:blowkiss: to the poster for that eye candy earlier.. yowza!!

It actually looks like they are trying to get a court order compelling Walmart and Tesoro to produce their business records -- looks like the prosecution does not yet have the records. Maybe Walmart and Tesoro are not responding quickly enough.

Their corporate offices may require an order to release records.

It actually looks like they are trying to get a court order compelling Walmart and Tesoro to produce their business records -- looks like the prosecution does not yet have the records. Maybe Walmart and Tesoro are not responding quickly enough.

All the calls I made to Tesoro in Salt Lake City LOL. You would think they would start getting the stuff together ... He was so confused.. then i said do you know what your house were in 2006? he said "Huh?" I said "Ok never mind, thanks!"

(ha ha.. i called around for hours) They probably have no idea what's going on.. Is that a desolate area?

Hi. There are so many posts that I could never possibly read them all. I apologize if my post is 'old news'. I am asking this question of our Jodi Arias experts: I don't know if Jodi's 'diary' had an end date, or it was just taken by the police with a search warrant around the time of her arrest. Please enlighten me on that. With Jodi's talk about 'the law of attraction', and all of Jodi's other b____ .... baloney, isn't it reasonable to think that Jodi's whole diary was a big staged lie to cover up her long-planned hate-filled scheme to murder Travis Alexander? It seems to me that Jodi's murder of Travis was quite hate-filled (quite like OJ Simpson's plotted rageful murder of Nicole Simpson). With Jodi being so tricky, wouldn't it make sense that Jodi just 'used' her diary all along as another way to lie and mislead everyone?? Jodi's diary would be just one more lie in Jodi's life. Even if Jodi had never been arrested, Jodi would have wanted her diary to be a misleading lie to anybody who went in her purse and looked at it (her mother, sister, her friends). Which reminds me, just who are Jodi Arias' close friends---does Jodi have any supporters now???

Feel free to reply to me with private messages or links, and I will be greatly appreciative. Thanks !:seeya:

Apparently I am not talented enough to find this information at your link. If possible, please give some instructions on where and what to search for.

Go to the left menu bar at that link where it says "Criminal Cases" --> then click "Case Histories" near the top of the page ---> then enter the defendant's name and click "Search"

Here's a screenshot...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-03-12 at 3.06.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-03-12 at 3.06.27 PM.png
    39.8 KB · Views: 97

:banghead: Thanks for the clarification. Hopefully he can get these records fast!

I seriously doubt female sociopaths are rare. I know what you meant here: It's rare that they are so fully exposed.

I suspect female sociopaths fly under the radar more. Perhaps it has to do with the different strategies women use, ability to engage proxies more, or generally better talent at manipulation that doesn't often come out in overt violent or antisocial acts.

It's not that women sociopaths are rare, but, pure speculation here, women make more effective sociopaths and better escape detection.

Societal expectations play into it. I'm chronically annoyed by the assumptions of programs like ID's "Snapped". They do portray women who "snap" but some of the "snappers" are female serial poisoners that kill a string of husbands for insurance money. That's a weird idea of "snapping".

The other side of the coin of sexism is to put women, as a whole, on a pedestal, which often treats women are less than complete human beings, without agency and often as mental and moral children. You make excuses for children you never would for adults and that seems to be what's happening even here in this case when talking heads continue to women what it is Travis Alexander did to set her off, as if he's the only one with agency (and in a sense, responsibility) in the relationship.

I get a sense of that with the insistance that Travis Alexander was "using her for sex" or "thinking with his little head".

You know what Travis Alexander was? He was a nice, somewhat pudgy, sexually inexperienced guy who met a predator in a pretty shell, who he first thought was just the nicest girl in the world and that first impression persisted long after someone with the omniscience of hindsight would tell him to run like his life depended on it. The only thing I would fault him for was being basically a pitchman for a Multi-Level Marketing scheme. He was the guy who convinced you to sell for AmWay and was a "motivational speaker" in the same way Arias is described as a "photographer" rather than what she was, which was a waitress.

But that's the point: The preferred narrative trumps reality. Seriously, if I hear some talking head call Arias a photographer, like she ever got paid for it from someone who wasn't a friend or family, I will scream.

The Jodi Arias act is no different than Ted Bundy with a cast on his arm. Which sounds cunning and clumsy when Bundy did it, but it's own own societal attitudes and expectations that let Arias get away with her "poor little helpless me" predatory act.

It's as if we peer too hard at it, the whole apple pie facade will come apart.

Maybe we need a t-shirt made that reads "Women: Just as Evil as Men, Only in Nicer Pastel Colors".

I'm not sure I'd go with the "women on a pedestal" analogy, but I do think we tend to believe that women just don't do certain things. I remember about 15 years ago, a friend's son divorced his wife over her serial cheating. I found myself making all kinds of mental excuses for her because in my day, the only women who cheated were the small percentage who were "*advertiser censored*." It took me awhile to realize how stereotyped my thinking was. Nowadays there is something in the news Every.Single.Day about a female teacher having sex with her teenage student(s). It still amazes me.

So I don't think women are "better" at being sociopaths, partly for this reason. There is also a story that during WW II, Dr. Spock (of baby book fame) worked on a study of sociopaths. The study showed that men rarely caught the female sociopahts, while the women caught them right away. And women never caught the male sociopaths, but men did. With men still having most of the supervisory police positions, I think it is simply harder for them to believe the little woman is guilty of these things.

I think it's becoming clearer and clearer to LE that women can do some incredibly bad things; it's Jodi's misfortune that she wasn't born twenty or thirty years earlier.

"It's something that I am ashamed of," Dennis Gregory Alexander told The Huffington Post. "I have been clean for almost 10 years and it's something Travis forgave me for a long time ago. He was a righteous guy and he never did anything wrong. It was all me. It was my doing. Travis was a gentleman. The furthest thing he would ever do is any sort of crime."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/11/travis-alexander-arrest-record_n_2856562.html

Thank heavens he came forward. Just when I thought the Defendant's camp couldn't disgust me any more, their glee at thinking they'd pulled a "gotcha" on Travis Alexander is a new low.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
australianwebsleuth