INTERPOL Black Notice: Operation Identify Me - Police search for the names of 22 women murdered

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

JennieM

Reaction score
Operation Identify Me is a public appeal to identify 22 women, believed to have been murdered in Belgium, Germany and The Netherlands, but whose identity was never found. Most are cold cases; women who died 10, 20, 30 or even 40 years ago.

Despite extensive police investigations, these women were never identified, and evidence suggests they could have come from other countries. Who they are, where they are from and why they were in these countries is unknown.

INTERPOL has published a Black Notice for each victim; these alerts are for police only so they are not public. But here we have shared details of each case, including facial reconstruction images and other potential identifiers, in the hope that someone might recognize them.

If you remember a friend, family member or colleague who suddenly disappeared, please take a look and contact the relevant national police team via the form on each page if you have any information about any of them.

1683692756728.png

Police in three European countries are asking for help to identify 22 murdered women whose names remain a mystery.

The bodies were found in the Netherlands, Belgium and Germany between 1976 and 2019.

An unsolved murder of a woman in Amsterdam, found in a wheelie bin in a river, sparked the move by Interpol.

It's the first time the international police group has gone public with a list seeking information about unidentified bodies.

The so called black notices, released as part of the campaign known as Operation Identify Me, are normally only circulated internally among Interpol's network of police forces throughout the world.

[...]

The three countries compiled a list of 22 that they were struggling to solve and asked Interpol to publish the details. Belgian police put forward seven cases, Germany six and the Netherlands nine.

Most of the victims were aged between 15 and 30. Without knowing their names or who killed them, police say it is difficult to establish the exact circumstances of their deaths.

The full list - available on Interpol's website - includes details about the women, photographs of possible identifying items such as clothing, jewellery and tattoos, and, in some cases, new facial reconstructions and information about the cases.

Ms van Leeuwen says finding answers in such cases is vital. "If you don't have a name, you don't have a story. You're just a number. And nobody's a number," she explains.

In the Netherlands, almost all of the unidentified bodies of women appear to be murder cases, while - say police - unidentified men died in a range of circumstances.

In that part of Europe, people can go between countries very easily because there are open borders.

Increased global migration, and human trafficking, has led to more people being reported missing outside of their national borders, says Dr Susan Hitchin, coordinator of Interpol's DNA unit.

It can make identifying bodies more challenging, and women are "disproportionately affected by gender-based violence, including domestic violence, sexual assault, and trafficking", she says.

"This operation aims to give back to these women their names."

'' Premiered 76 minutes ago #IdentifyMe #femicide
Help us identify 22 women, believed to have been murdered in Belgium, Germany and The Netherlands, but whose identities were never found. Operation Identify Me, a global public appeal to put a name to victims of cold cases; women who died 10, 20, 30 or even 40 years ago. Despite extensive police investigations, these women were never identified, and evidence suggests they could have come from other countries. Who they are, where they are from and why they were left in Germany, Belgium and the Netherlands is unknown. INTERPOL has published a Black Notice for each victim; these Notices are alerts for police only so they are not public. But here, we have shared details of each case, including facial reconstruction images and other potential identifiers, in the hope that someone might recognize them. If you remember a friend, family member or colleague who suddenly disappeared once, please take a look and contact the relevant national police team via the form on each page. All case details can be found on www.interpol.int/IM ''

Was just reading this article on BBC website and came here to post but seen it had already been done.

I know there are 100s of cases on this forum alone but it makes me so desperately sad that these ladies are not missed. I hope their families soon have closure and are identified

Operation Identify Me is a public appeal to identify 22 women, believed to have been murdered in Belgium, Germany and The Netherlands, but whose identity was never found. Most are cold cases; women who died 10, 20, 30 or even 40 years ago.

Despite extensive police investigations, these women were never identified, and evidence suggests they could have come from other countries. Who they are, where they are from and why they were in these countries is unknown.

INTERPOL has published a Black Notice for each victim; these alerts are for police only so they are not public. But here we have shared details of each case, including facial reconstruction images and other potential identifiers, in the hope that someone might recognize them.

If you remember a friend, family member or colleague who suddenly disappeared, please take a look and contact the relevant national police team via the form on each page if you have any information about any of them.

View attachment 421169

Thank you for posting. I was just going to do it. I find this move quite interesting. Does this mean there were no matches at all between the DNA databases (and the central Interpol database) of the unidentified and people who are searching for a missing loved one? I would have liked someone explaining that.

In other words family members of the missing didn't find their way to LE of these countries and/or are not aware their loved one ended up in the Netherlands, Belgium or Germany.

Also a couple of these Jane Does have probably been killed by someone who knows them, significant other, family member f.i. and are not reported missing. There could also be girls who's family is afraid for reprisals from traffickers f.i. and are scared off to report a missing case.

Also nothing about potentially using genealogical DNA testing to identify this women. I guess this countries are still not ready for it and still debating. I know in the Netherlands they still are.

The positive thing is they ask attention for this. I hope they succeed in getting tips.

Should we make threads for all this women? From memory there are already threads on here for

Identify Me: NL02 - Teteringen Girl with a wonderful recon made by Carl Koppelman.​

Identify Me: BEL06 - The woman with the artificial nails Meisje van Visé​

Identify Me: BEL07 - The woman in the park Belgium​

Identify Me: NL09 - The woman in the suitcase Thorbecke meisje​

Identify Me: NL01 - The girl on the parking lot Heulmeisje.​

Identify Me: DE04 - The body in the carpet Germany​

Identify Me: NL03 - The woman in the canal Amsterdam​

Maybe there are even more threads for other Jane Does mentioned on the Interpol list, but this are the ones I know about.

Last edited:
“Most of the 22 victims died violently, and some were also abused or starved before they died,” said Carina van Leeuwen and Martin de Wit of the Dutch police, whose efforts to identify a woman found in a bin in a river in 1999 led to the campaign.

“Partly because the women are likely from countries other than where they were found, their identities have not yet been established. It is possible that their bodies were left in our countries to impede criminal investigations,” they said.

Carolien Opdecam, of the Belgian police, said the aim was to find names. “The victim’s identity is often the key to unlocking a case,” she said.

Anja Allendorf, of the German police, said establishing the victim’s ID could ultimately lead to the arrest of a suspect.

[...]

The Interpol webpages include facial reconstructions of some of the murdered women, as well as videos and pictures of recognisable items such as jewellery and clothing discovered at the sites where their bodies were left.

Other details include the women’s estimated age, their hair and eye colour, and other key physical characteristics. Susan Hitchin, of Interpol’s DNA unit, said this was the first time information from so-called black notices had been made public.

Black notices, used to seek intelligence on unidentified bodies and determine the circumstances of the death, contain details of the scene, the victim’s appearance and clothing, and other relevant observations, and are usually restricted to police.

“Black notices allow law enforcement agencies to collaborate and share information across borders, ultimately helping to bring closure to the families of the deceased and bring offenders to justice,” Hitchin said. [...] She said new information could ultimately allow police to “provide the identity to these victims, and ideally help lead to the perpetrator, if there is one.”

Should we make threads for all this women? From memory there are already threads on here for

Maybe there are even more threads for other Jane Does mentioned on the Interpol list, but this are the ones I know about.
sbm
It would help I think, if someone is looking up some lost person in their family and they recognise some identifiers... like "sxxt that necklace belonged to my grandma, and also... where did my sister go?".
I don't, but if I did have a missing relative and searched the internet it would be easier for me with an actual thread/place for that person and all info in one place and discussed, not a post with a load of people all over the place.
I wouldn't know where to start.
It's a great initiative and I hope they will all be identified soon <3

Was just reading this article on BBC website and came here to post but seen it had already been done.

I know there are 100s of cases on this forum alone but it makes me so desperately sad that these ladies are not missed. I hope their families soon have closure and are identified
Me too.
Thank you for starting the thread @JennieM .
I hate that borders likely inhibited solving some of these crimes. But I'm pleased to see that authorities across jursdictions are working together.

Thank you for posting. I was just going to do it. I find this move quite interesting. Does this mean there were no matches at all between the DNA databases (and the central Interpol database) of the unidentified and people who are searching for a missing loved one? I would have liked someone explaining that.

In other words family members of the missing didn't find their way to LE of these countries and/or are not aware their loved one ended up in the Netherlands, Belgium or Germany.

Also a couple of these Jane Does have probably been killed by someone who knows them, significant other, family member f.i. and are not reported missing. There could also be girls who's family is afraid for reprisals from traffickers f.i. and are scared off to report a missing case.

Also nothing about potentially using genealogical DNA testing to identify this women. I guess this countries are still not ready for it and still debating. I know in the Netherlands they still are.

The positive thing is they ask attention for this. I hope they succeed in getting tips.
Bringing out from your quote for focus:
"Also nothing about potentially using genealogical DNA testing to identify this women. I guess this countries are still not ready for it and still debating. I know in the Netherlands they still are."

I believe there are 2 obstacles regarding the use of genetic genealogy to solve these crimes:
1. Not an effective tool, therefore you aren't very likely to solve the case. The population pools in these countries (Netherlands, Belgium, Germany), and surrounding countries, that are actually IN genealogy databases is quite low. (and in France I believe it isn't even legal.) You aren't as likely to get good matches and are less likely to solve the crime. This is unlike US/Canada/UK.
2. Cost is prohibitive. Because of #1 the cost/benefit of using genetic genealogy is too high.

There is already a thread for Identify Me: DE03 - The burned body in the forest

Re: Genetic Genealogy

GDPR covers genetic data. It's currently being discussed/debated about whether genetic genealogy would fall into that.

Here's a scientific paper on the subject:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SnootWolf02
Back