INTERPOL Black Notice: Operation Identify Me - Police search for the names of 22 women murdered

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I love that this initiative is happening but I hate that it's necessary. Reading about how some of these women died is just horrific. I suspect the big push now will likely lead to a cluster of IDs. Hopefully they all get their names back, but I think those who aren't ID'd now will be waiting a while. No matter how long it takes, they all have a better chance now for justice.

Two short interviews about Operation Identify Me, starting at around 33:00 until 43:00.

"For the first time, Interpol have released a list seeking information about 22 unidentified murdered women, whose names are a mystery. Anita is joined by BBC journalist Alice Cuddy to explain why this is happening, and forensic scientist Carina Van Leeuwen who is passionate about giving these women a name."
  • Interviewer: "Why is it all women? Why are there no unidentified men?" Alice Cuddy: "There are actually more unidentified men who, erm ... male bodies, but police told us the difference is that those men died in a big range of circumstances whereas the women there, the vast majority of them [were] suspected murder cases. INTERPOL have also spoken a lot about how women take a risk of gender-based violence, including things like trafficking."
  • Interviewer: "Why is finding the identity of these women so important?" Carina Van Leeuwen: "I think for 3 reasons. It's very important in the first place for the women themselves because if you don't have a name, you are just a number. You are buried in a nameless grave so nobody can tell your story. We can only tell the story of how they died but not how their life was. So that's in the first place for me. In the second place, I think it's very important for those who are left behind, their families who sometimes are looking, waiting for 20-25 years, they don't want to move because 'She's coming home, she doesn't know where we live'. And of course in the third er, in the last place, if we don't know who the victims [are], we can't find a perpetrator. So it's very important for those 3 reasons. [...] I am sure that even after 20-25 years they are still missed somewhere in the world."
  • One of the women could be English. Found in a little boat, killed by fire. She lived for a while in the Netherlands and spoke only English.
  • Carina Van Leeuwen: "To be missed is worse than to be dead, because then at least they [their families] know what's happened."

New thread for the woman on the boat.

1. Identify Me: BEL01 - The woman in the well

2. Identify Me: DE01 - The body in the bog

3. Identify Me: NL01 - The girl on the parking lot

4. Identify Me: BEL02 - The woman with the flower tattoo

5. Identify Me: DE02 - The woman by the motorway

6. Identify Me: NL02 - Teteringen Girl
7. Identify Me: BEL03 - The woman in the dam

8. Identify Me: DE03 - The burned body in the forest

9. Identify Me: NL03 - The woman in the canal

10. Identify Me: BEL04 - The woman in the Scheldt

11. Identify Me: DE04 - The body in the carpet

12. Identify Me: NL04 - Woman at the border

13. Identify Me: BEL05 - The woman in the Meuse

14. Identify Me: DE05 - The woman in men's clothing

15. Identify Me: NL05 - The woman with the bracelet

16. Identify Me: BEL06 - The woman with the artificial nails

17. Identify Me: DE06 - The woman with the flower skirt

18. Identify Me: NL06 - The woman on the boat

19. Identify Me: BEL07 - The woman in the park

20. Identify Me: NL07 - The woman in the Gaasp river

21. Identify Me: NL08 - The woman in the IJ river

22. Identify Me: NL09 - The woman in the suitcase

Last edited:

1. Identify Me: BEL01 - The woman in the well

2. Identify Me: DE01 - The body in the bog

3. Identify Me: NL01 - The girl on the parking lot

4. Identify Me: BEL02 - The woman with the flower tattoo

5. Identify Me: DE02 - The woman by the motorway

6. Identify Me: NL02 - Teteringen Girl

7. Identify Me: BEL03 - The woman in the dam

8. Identify Me: DE03 - The burned body in the forest

9. Identify Me: NL03 - The woman in the canal

10. Identify Me: BEL04 - The woman in the Scheldt

11. Identify Me: DE04 - The body in the carpet

12. Identify Me: NL04 - Woman at the border

13. Identify Me: BEL05 - The woman in the Meuse

14. Identify Me: DE05 - The woman in men's clothing

15. Identify Me: NL05 - The woman with the bracelet

16. Identify Me: BEL06 - The woman with the artificial nails

17. Identify Me: DE06 - The woman with the flower skirt

18. Identify Me: NL06 - The woman on the boat

19. Identify Me: BEL07 - The woman in the park

20. Identify Me: NL07 - The woman in the Gaasp river

21. Identify Me: NL08 - The woman in the IJ river

22. Identify Me: NL09 - The woman in the suitcase

Great! So now all the UID's have their own thread. Thanks to you @JennieM and all other WS-members who made this threads.

Great! So now all the UID's have their own thread. Thanks to you @JennieM and all other WS-members who made this threads.
Thank YOU @Bit of hope! It was much easier to do thanks to you, for the list you put together at the very beginning of all the existing threads and then those you also created yourself!

May 15 2023 rbbm
Mike Sullivan John Lucas
1684162850003.png
Suspected serial killer John Sweeney, dubbed the Scalp Hunter, is believed to hold the key to at least three more murdersCredit: Handout

''Now his name is being linked to an Interpol appeal over the remains of 22 women found on the continent.

Operation Identify Me includes three murders in the Netherlands where Sweeney worked in the 1990s.

They match his method of decapitating victims and disposing of bodies in waterways.''

''Interpol said they could not rule out any links between some of the 22 unidentified victims found in Holland, Germany and Belgium.
They gave tag descriptions of victims in the unsolved cases.
The hands of Sweeney’s first potential victim, dubbed ‘The Woman in the Canal,’ were found on 6 September 1992, in the centre of Amsterdam.
When the canal was searched, two lower legs were found and subsequently a suitcase was discovered containing the torso with other remains found elsewhere.
Forensic evidence established that all body parts belonged to the same woman but her head was never found.
The skull of a second victim, known as ‘The Woman at the Border,’ was found in July 1994 in a thicket at the edge of a car park at a visitors’ centre in Het Zwin, a nature reserve near the Dutch border with Belgium.
On the following day more body parts from the victim were found in a nearby creek.
The third unknown victim potentially linked to Sweeney is nicknamed ‘The Woman with the Bracelet.’
She was found on 13 January 1995 near an apartment complex in Amstelveen when a member of the public saw a plastic package floating in a waterway and called the police.
The package turned out to contain part of the body of the woman, wrapped in a sheet.
Her head, lower legs and one arm were not found but a bracelet was found on the limb which was found and Interpol released an image of it.
Crime writer Chris Clark told The Sun that Sweeney’s potential involvement was “a very strong theory.”
He added: “Sweeney mutilated his victims, dismembered them and dumped their remains in canals - just like these women.

“It fits his timeline because he was living in Holland at the time and working on construction sites across Europe.”

Operation Identify Me yields new information

More than 200 tips received in first week of international appeal

One week after the launch of Operation Identify Me, important new information has been received in the search for the identity of 22 deceased women. Police organizations in Germany, Belgium and the Netherlands have so far received more than 200 tips, by providing potential names of victims in several cases.
Police forces across the three countries and INTERPOL welcome the level of public participation so far and emphasize the need for more information via www.interpol.int/im. Each of the victims in the campaign are unidentified women and many of whom were most likely murdered.

The international call has, in just one week, already provided investigators with concrete leads. Authorities in the participating countries have already received dozens of tips including:

• 122 for German cases
  • 55 for Belgian cases
  • 51 for Dutch cases
The appeal has received an overwhelming amount of media attention, which is reflected in the information received so far. While some members of the public have shared information about the potential origins of clothing or jewellery, others have pointed to possible names of specific victims. Further investigation is needed before any conclusions can be drawn. Tips have come from all over the world, which shows the importance of communicating globally on such cases.

BBM

Operation Identify Me yields new information

More than 200 tips received in first week of international appeal

One week after the launch of Operation Identify Me, important new information has been received in the search for the identity of 22 deceased women. Police organizations in Germany, Belgium and the Netherlands have so far received more than 200 tips, by providing potential names of victims in several cases.
Police forces across the three countries and INTERPOL welcome the level of public participation so far and emphasize the need for more information via www.interpol.int/im. Each of the victims in the campaign are unidentified women and many of whom were most likely murdered.

The international call has, in just one week, already provided investigators with concrete leads. Authorities in the participating countries have already received dozens of tips including:

• 122 for German cases
  • 55 for Belgian cases
  • 51 for Dutch cases
The appeal has received an overwhelming amount of media attention, which is reflected in the information received so far. While some members of the public have shared information about the potential origins of clothing or jewellery, others have pointed to possible names of specific victims. Further investigation is needed before any conclusions can be drawn. Tips have come from all over the world, which shows the importance of communicating globally on such cases.

BBM

That's wonderful, even potential names. Fingers crossed.

UK woman Rita Roberts identified 31 years after Belgium murder​

One of the women has been identified by a relative who recognised her tattoo.

1699961714220.jpeg

UK woman Rita Roberts identified 31 years after Belgium murder​

One of the women has been identified by a relative who recognised her tattoo.

View attachment 460782

Sleep well, Rita.

UK woman murdered in Belgium identified after international appeal

The following details have been made public with the agreement of the victim’s family and that of the Antwerp public prosecutor’s office:

• Rita Roberts was 31 when she moved to Antwerp from Cardiff in February 1992.
  • She last communicated with her relatives via postcard in May 1992.
  • On 10 May of this year, Operation Identify Me was launched, receiving significant coverage and generating some 1,250 tips from the public.
  • A family member in the United Kingdom recognized the tattoo on the news and notified INTERPOL and Belgian authorities via the Identify Me appeal web page.
  • The family then travelled to meet with investigators in Belgium, and formally identified their missing relative through distinguishing personal identifiers.
  • Thereafter, the Antwerp family court was petitioned to have the victim’s death certificate amended to reflect her identity.
The family of Rita Roberts said in a statement:

“The news was shocking and heartbreaking. Our passionate, loving and free-spirited sister was cruelly taken away. There are no words to truly express the grief we felt at that time, and still feel today.

“Whilst the news has been difficult to process, we are incredibly grateful to have uncovered what happened to Rita. We miss her deeply but are thankful for the excellent support and care of Belgium Missing Persons, Antwerp Police, INTERPOL and Durham Police in the UK. This cross-border collaboration has given a missing girl back her identity, and enabled the family to know she is at rest.

“Rita was a beautiful person who adored travelling. She loved her family, especially her nephews and nieces, and always wanted to have a family of her own. She had the ability to light up a room, and wherever she went, she was the life and soul of the party. We hope that wherever she is now, she is at peace.”

The family have asked for the media not to contact them during their grieving process.

Now that her identity is known, Belgian authorities are calling on the public for any information they may have on Rita Roberts or the circumstances surrounding her death. This can be submitted via an online form on INTERPOL’s website.

-------

Rest in Peace, Rita Roberts.

I hope this solution gives a second wind to the other cases and they should definitely start adding more cases, including cases from other countries.

From the reports it becomes obvious that A) Rita Roberts was identified a while ago before this was made public. And B) Interpol has received tips including potential names of specific victims (plural).

Fingers crossed that new ID's will be annouced soon. It is entirel y possible IMO.

I follewd this link that @JennieM posted (big thanks to you Jennie!):

and from that link I hopped to another one, about the operation 'Kerkhof' ('Graveyard') of the Belgian Police.

Their Cell Missing Persons is busy making an inventory of all unidentified remains in Belgium, whose location is known and unknown and matching them with known and unknown missing persons. They made a call to the public to report possible graves, and also report missing loved ones that may have been forgotten by the system.
The videos have no English subtitles unfortunately, but they are very interesting and the work is down to earth.
'We don't know all the possible graveyards of NN's in our country'
'We also found a skull stored in the attic of a town hall.'
Files have been lost, sometimes all that remains is an old news clipping, or a hand-written list.
Missing persons were not really an item in Belgium, until 1995, when the news about the missing girls and the Dutroux murders broke. That was the starting point of the cell Missing Persons, and they are meticulous. What came before them is an entirely different matter.

Belgian LE takes the long road, but this approach has already yielded the first results.

Their first success was the identification of a Dutch woman, Corry van der Valk, who had been missing for 20 years. It was thought that she might have started a new life in India, but she died in Belgium on the day she went missing and all those years she had been buried as a Jane Doe in a small Belgian graveyard. The case was famous in the Netherlands, but not in Belgium.

Man geëxecuteerd en in plastic gewikkeld of vrouw met de dure juwelen: Cel Vermiste Personen roept publiek op om cold cases mee op te lossen

From the reports it becomes obvious that A) Rita Roberts was identified a while ago before this was made public. And B) Interpol has received tips including potential names of specific victims (plural).

Fingers crossed that new ID's will be annouced soon. It is entirel y possible IMO.

I follewd this link that @JennieM posted (big thanks to you Jennie!):

and from that link I hopped to another one, about the operation 'Kerkhof' ('Graveyard') of the Belgian Police.

Their Cell Missing Persons is busy making an inventory of all unidentified remains in Belgium, whose location is known and unknown and matching them with known and unknown missing persons. They made a call to the public to report possible graves, and also report missing loved ones that may have been forgotten by the system.
The videos have no English subtitles unfortunately, but they are very interesting and the work is down to earth.
'We don't know all the possible graveyards of NN's in our country'
'We also found a skull stored in the attic of a town hall.'
Files have been lost, sometimes all that remains is an old news clipping, or a hand-written list.
Missing persons were not really an item in Belgium, until 1995, when the news about the missing girls and the Dutroux murders broke. That was the starting point of the cell Missing Persons, and they are meticulous. What came before them is an entirely different matter.

Belgian LE takes the long road, but this approach has already yielded the first results.

Their first success was the identification of a Dutch woman, Corry van der Valk, who had been missing for 20 years. It was thought that she might have started a new life in India, but she died in Belgium on the day she went missing and all those years she had been buried as a Jane Doe in a small Belgian graveyard. The case was famous in the Netherlands, but not in Belgium.

Man geëxecuteerd en in plastic gewikkeld of vrouw met de dure juwelen: Cel Vermiste Personen roept publiek op om cold cases mee op te lossen
I wish they put in more effort to identify this girl/woman. Netherlands - Belgium, Liège, WhtFem, 14-24, Albert Canel (Dutch-Belgium border), May'09

They weren't able to or didn't want to answer any questions about the status of this case I asked them a long time ago.

Well, it looks like she is one of the Identify Me Does. That's not nothing, there are pictures of her nail art and other things out there as part of this initiative.

MOO
I'm happy is she is included in the Identify Me project. It makes it more likely somebody who misses her can be "reached" and recognizes her. You are right, that's not nothing. This pictures and info were already there since they first published about this case years ago. I've searched for her for a long time, sadly without succes. There is really no extra information added.

I've always wondered about the ear standing out on the clay recon. If she looked like that in real life it would be a great identifier, but they never elaborated on that further.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClueCrusader
Back