Iran warns women over slack dressing

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Here we go again. This is why I don't post much any more because I get personally attacked if I respond to any subject that may be controversial.

i dont get that .... didnt you ask a question?
and didnt people answer that question?

where did the "attack" come in?

Shoot, if there had been a yahoo headline about an annual pre-summer event of police cracking down and making sure women were being castrated I might have started a thread about that. (The castrations, sadly, have been going on so long that there's probably a thread on that somewhere here anyway.)

This was simply a headline that interested me, and I thought might interest others here. **sigh**
i appreciated your posting this article, Taximom.

i havent been here very long, but this is the first article mentioning "Iran" that i've seen. .... i'm mystified .... it's not as if you posted an article about how ahmadinejad has publically said israel ("little satan") s/b wiped off the face of the earth and the u.s.a. ("big satan") should be next or about how he's defying all united nations votes to stop work on atomic weapons.

question: have there been an excessive number of threads about Iran before i got here?

I'm getting worked up because there is real suffering going on in the world day after day and you're upset because some women can't wear slacks????????????? I'm appauled that this is even an issue. You go right ahead and worry about their dress code if you want. Have at it.

i may have discovered where the misunderstanding occurred .... according to the article, part of iranian female attire is a pair of trousers under a coat, but they are not being forbidden to continue wearing them .... the word "slack" in the title is used as an adjective meaning "negligent." IOW, The State is cracking down on those they say are not obeying "sharia law" dress codes strictly enough.

hope that helps.

What women can wear? Iran's hottest issue

iran_women300.jpg

Roshanak, 27, was arrested by police and held for two days when her scarf slipped off while parking her car.

My husband had to pay 10 million rials ($1,170) to free me and I am pending trial. My lawyer said I may be lashed as well.

While the crackdown on improper Hejab is not new - enforcement typically spikes in the summer as soaring temperatures prompt many women to test the boundaries of the law - the level of debate accompanying it is unprecedented.

http://www.despardes.com/Fashion/news/jul04/iran-what-women-can-wear-jul12.html

What women can wear? Iran's hottest issue

iran_women300.jpg

Is this how they are supposed to dress? If so, then I think the "crack-down" is actually planning ahead for an attack by the US. I'm thinking their key people want to escape ala Bin Laden. Just my :twocents:.

As an aside, it's an important issue to discuss because we need to be reminded of the dangers of a theocracy, IMO.

Is this how they are supposed to dress? If so, then I think the "crack-down" is actually planning ahead for an attack by the US. I'm thinking their key people want to escape ala Bin Laden. Just my :twocents:.

As an aside, it's an important issue to discuss because we need to be reminded of the dangers of a theocracy, IMO.

apparently, it's not so easy to escape the dress-code police (many of whom are women) .... i wonder how hot it gets during the summer?

"Iranian police start summer crackdown on women's dress"

dresscodepolice.jpg

A policewoman (R) warns a woman about the state of her clothing and hair during a crackdown on adhering to the strict Islamic dress code in Tehran April 22, 2007."

"Violators can receive lashes, fines or imprisonment."

http://www.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idUSL2270264320070422

apparently, it's not so easy to escape the dress-code police (many of whom are women) .... i wonder how hot it gets during the summer?

"Iranian police start summer crackdown on women's dress"

dresscodepolice.jpg

A policewoman (R) warns a woman about the state of her clothing and hair during a crackdown on adhering to the strict Islamic dress code in Tehran April 22, 2007."

"Violators can receive lashes, fines or imprisonment."

http://www.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idUSL2270264320070422

I meant escape in that I think that's how Bin Laden got out of town. It's pretty easy for a man to throw on these robes and veils and mix in with the general population.

LOl - did you even read my post????? I said that "I do give a crap what they have to wear because I find it interesting to learn about cultures different than my own." I don't recall saying that I was upset or even worried about this. If you have ever read any of my posts, I think you would know that I certainly do care about the other issues you mentioned. I don't quite understand your hostility aimed towards me in this post, especially since you are jumping to conclusions.

"I'm appalled" (hope you don't mind that I corrected your typo) that a moderator would try to instigate fights in an otherwise friendly discussion. However, thanks for your permission on what I can and can't worry about. I will sleep so much better now tonight. :rolleyes:

"A moderator" has an opinion - forgive me for expressing it. I don't see why I shouldn't be allowed one. Thanks for correcting my typo. I tried to edit my post, but have been having trouble with this website freezing up on me. I'll stay out of your discussion now, since apparently "moderators" aren't allowed.

"A moderator" has an opinion - forgive me for expressing it. I don't see why I shouldn't be allowed one. Thanks for correcting my typo. I tried to edit my post, but have been having trouble with this website freezing up on me. I'll stay out of your discussion now, since apparently "moderators" aren't allowed.

Here we go again. I never said you weren't allowed to express an opinion. Nor did I tell you that you aren't allowed to join the conversation. I would appreciate it if you would please stop jumping to conclusions and take the time to read my posts. You were unnecessarily jumping all over my post and taking offense to something THAT YOU CLEARLY MISINTERPRETED.

I apologize for being rude in my earlier posts. That was beneath me and I certainly didn't need to stoop to that level.

Human Rights Watch Criticizes Iran for Convicting Women's Rights Activists

By VOA News
26 April 2007

. . . The women's sentences range from two to four years in prison. However, they will only serve six months to one year in prison if they are not accused of breaking any laws during the next five years.

The six women are active participants in "Change for Equality." This recent campaign seeks reforms, including the elimination of polygamy, the equality of inheritance rights between men and women and making women's court testimony carry the same weight as that of men.

Iranian authorities also recently launched another crackdown against women who fail to dress in accordance with the country's Islamic dress code.

http://www.voanews.com/english/2007-04-26-voa62.cfm

On July 14, 1917, Amelia Himes Walker was arrested and jailed for picketing the White House in the suffrage cause. She was one of 16 women arrested that day and sentenced to 60 days in the workhouse for "obstructing traffic." During the course of the year 218 women were arrested and 97 jailed. Alice Paul was among then, for of course the leaders picketed along with the rank and file.

http://historywired.si.edu/detail.cfm?ID=492

At least Iran is not just picking on women and how they dress. They were including men in their little pre-summer annual dress code roundup. I'm betting that there are more women than men ticketed or detained though.

Iran is an Islamic Nation. Their Laws of Modesty are dictated by the Koran. The Laws I believe dictate how women present themselves publically. In their homes or homes of their friends most are dressed much like you or me.
Much like the Amish and Mennonite women in this Country dress according to their religious belief in modesty.

I have many non Muslim Iranian friends that fled Iran during the 80's. They had a vary difficult time adjusting to wearing regular clothes publically and being leered at and having men make sexual comments to them. They feared for their daughters safety and how sexualized women are in this Country.

At least Iran is not just picking on women and how they dress. They were including men in their little pre-summer annual dress code roundup. I'm betting that there are more women than men ticketed or detained though.

correct on all counts! :D

one of the articles points out that, while both men and women have pushed the envelope, the first stage of this crackdown w/b on the women. then, the plan to move on to the men .... of course, that means women have the first chance to be arrested, imprisoned, fined and lashed.

Iran is an Islamic Nation. Their Laws of Modesty are dictated by the Koran. The Laws I believe dictate how women present themselves publically. In their homes or homes of their friends most are dressed much like you or me.
Much like the Amish and Mennonite women in this Country dress according to their religious belief in modesty.

I have many non Muslim Iranian friends that fled Iran during the 80's. They had a vary difficult time adjusting to wearing regular clothes publically and being leered at and having men make sexual comments to them. They feared for their daughters safety and how sexualized women are in this Country.
I cant argue with a thing youve written, tybee!
th_ky-Compute.gif

in recent years i've heard enough horror stories about the treatment of american girls in the amish and mennonite and warren-jeffs type of polygamous mormonism to make me cry (literally) at the brazen abuse of girls even by the adult females in those communities, too.

apparently, the dress-code crackdowns have become an almost annual thing, but have become more onerous in the years since the khatami regime ended, so presumably, the women and men in iran before April 22 were dressing according to their own choices, now those choices are being quite literally punished by The State.

"The six women are active participants in "Change for Equality." This recent campaign seeks reforms, including the elimination of polygamy, the equality of inheritance rights between men and women and making women's court testimony carry the same weight as that of men."
http://www.voanews.com/english/2007-04-26-voa62.cfm

IOW, dress-code policing (whether here in america as mentioned or anywhere else in the world) is an anvil upon which to hammer (lash, arrest, fine, imprison, etc.) women into submission and, as such, needs to be done away with as the instrument of political oppression it is.

The problem is we cant hold other Countries and Cultures to our standards. 35 years ago in this Country girls were sent home and suspended from schools if they dared ware pants. Domestic abuse laws were not on the books and it was legal for a parent to whip their children and leave whelts.

The problem is we cant hold other Countries and Cultures to our standards.
i agree! :) .... No country can hold another to their cultures or standards .... that's exactly why i believe the hypocritical United Nations of corruption should be either disbanded or sent packing to set up their hate-america camp in some other country.
Oil for Food scandal ... ... ... ...

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HatsDom