Ireland Ireland - Sligo, WhtMale, 50-70, aka 'Peter Bergmann', prostate cancer, Jun'09

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Since the mini-documentary is missing, I can't know for sure, but does anyone remember if he wrote down his address and name or simply spelled it out for someone? Would this still be around a time where hotel attendants would enter this information for you at check-in?
There's an Amstetten in lower Austria, which could very well be a legibility error. Ainstettern vs Amstetten.
MAP
The fact that he clearly didn't know how to fake an address well in Vienna gives me the idea that he likely was not from there. Is it possible the attendant asked where he was from (due to the accent) and he simplified it down to "Vienna"?

This next part is far-fetched, and I'd hope this wouldn't need to be asked, but bear with me. "Peter" is a very German name, but I do wonder if he would have simply told them his name rather than write it down? Because Peter in a German accent "Peh-tehr" sounds nothing like Peter in English. "Pee-tur" or "Pee-ter". Is it possible he gave the name Dieter?

If anyone finds that documentary please share :)

Since the mini-documentary is missing, I can't know for sure, but does anyone remember if he wrote down his address and name or simply spelled it out for someone? Would this still be around a time where hotel attendants would enter this information for you at check-in?
There's an Amstetten in lower Austria, which could very well be a legibility error. Ainstettern vs Amstetten.
MAP
The fact that he clearly didn't know how to fake an address well in Vienna gives me the idea that he likely was not from there. Is it possible the attendant asked where he was from (due to the accent) and he simplified it down to "Vienna"?

This next part is far-fetched, and I'd hope this wouldn't need to be asked, but bear with me. "Peter" is a very German name, but I do wonder if he would have simply told them his name rather than write it down? Because Peter in a German accent "Peh-tehr" sounds nothing like Peter in English. "Pee-tur" or "Pee-ter". Is it possible he gave the name Dieter?

I think that’s a good possibility if it was told instead of written. Good post.
I’d like to add that this also counts for Belgium (for both the name Peter as for Dieter).

MAP

Found this:
Writing in the register, he put down his address as Ainstettersn 15, 4472, Vienna, Austria, which matched his Germanic accent. With the same pen he gave his name as Peter Bergmann. At no point was he asked for identification.”

Possible this man Helmut Ernst Altmann?

No, I don't think so.
- There is 15-year-gap
- Altmann vanished with his rental car, which has never been found.
- Money, passport and belongings were left in the hotel room
- Very different head shape

It is a possibility but the age gap is too big IMO.

This case is fascinating, and so many rabbit holes to go down. This gentleman clearly was trying to erase his existence before dying, so the possibility of being a spy or something similar is curious. And although his information is clearly false, are there clues he left behind to try and point someone in the right direction (I saw somebody else comment this and it got me wondering)? I dived down a few rabbit holes in relation to the address he gave, and whilst this could be all completely pointless, here are a few interesting bits i found.

Ainstettersn: A very odd spelling error, but as already mentioned, there is an Amstetten in Austria, just west of Vienna. "Am" hand written, could have been mistaken for "Ain" for sure. There is also a Stetten, very close to Vienna, just to the north. This is if we are sticking with Austria as a possible home nation for this guy, which brings me on to my next point -

"zip code" of 15 4472: This is my major off the wall rabbit hole. Coming from a cartographic background, this strange and clearly incorrect zip code, as there is no 4472 in Vienna, looked to me like a longitude reading in decimal degrees. You put said longitude of 15.4472 in to Google Maps, and it runs a straight line through the middle of Austria (also covers Czech Rep, Poland, Sweden, which are other countries i've heard being mentioned.) It does run through the city of Graz, which has a district of St. Peter (I'm probably going too far now). I have also seen the State of Styria being mentioned in relation to Ainstetten, of which Graz falls in to.

Latitude of 44.72, Longitude of 15: Maybe getting silly now, but a solid coordinate of 44.72, 15 does put you in a mountain in Croatia. Bergmann meaning mountain man.

These are all probably useless, but as I had not seen the numbers addressed as such, I thought i should share the 15 4472 as a line that does go through Austria and a number of other countries mentioned, which is curious to say the least.

I have been following the case for a couple of years and here are a few things I find generally odd or interesting and also a few points regarding other posts in this thread.
My main source is Rosita Boland's work (articles and podcast) as she interviewed all the people directly linked to the case, I do not trust the information on other sites, especially non-Irish ones as there seems to be info missing or lost in translation.

- His clothes and belongings were found neatly folded on a rock, socks in his shoes, etc. the tissues found are "soft & sicher" brand which is sold in the drug store chain DM

For someone who supposedly got rid of everything else, it seems odd he wouldn't have gotten rid of his remaining items if the goal was to vanish in the sea without a trace.

- He was very eager to get the 2.40pm bus despite there being more connections afterward (interview with bus driver at station)

Why was he so eager to get there early if he only planned on walking around? The confirmed sightings begin around 6pm mainly because it was less crowded so people remembered him.

- He didn't pick Rosses Point, he wanted to go to another beach (Strandhill) initially but the cab driver said that one is better for surfing and not ideal for swimming

Basically means Rosses Point had no significant meaning to him.

- Irish police checked facial recognition at UK airports but only for June 2009 which means he either arrived before or not via plane

- I don't think the removed labels are significant, he didn't go out of his way like Jennifer Fairgate (scratched out brand names etc.) to disguise the origin of his clothes. As someone who regularly does it because they bug me, I think people are reading far too much into it.

- His English was described as very good but with a heavy accent, given his age and possible German(ish) heritage that is rather odd because that generation wouldn't really speak English that well unless required for work. Another thing to consider is the Irish accent which can be a problem for people classifying themselves to be fluent in English until they arrive in Ireland. I have seen it time and time again encountering tourists who struggle with it but PB didn't. No communication difficulties were mentioned by anyone he talked to. He had a conversation with the taxi driver who drove him to Rosses Point and in general taxi drivers are notorious for their heavy accents.

I think he could have lived in the north for longer or spend significant time in (Northern) Ireland at some stage.

- The taxi driver said he paid him with a brand new 20 euro note (it must have been in pristine condition for the driver to notice that), Derry bus station has an ATM that also gives out euros but with an added fee, I believe it was already there in 2009 but apparently there is no CCTV, I don't think he withdrew cash in Sligo because it would have been captured by CCTV unless he got the money somewhere else. His remaining cash was found in an envelope and multiple pockets totaling 140 euros so maybe he was given cash in an envelope by someone.

- Gardai/HSE also checked the tumor registry in Europe including NI and UK but nothing was found.

- A copy of the note was shown to Austrian police who would be familiar with different kinds of handwriting I assume (I have seen it mentioned that Irish police may have struggled with cursive or variations of numbers and may have gotten some wrong), it is mentioned they said it was a vacant lot but I believe it is one of those things lost in translation. 1172 is a Vienna postcode, though, basically a post box in a post office to send mail to. I wouldn't read too much into it, I doubt there is a deeper meaning to it.

- Most people described his accent as German, some as Dutch, given the number of tourists especially hotel staff would be quite good at distinguishing different accents. Lots of staff are also from Eastern Europe so most people can easily tell the difference between a German or Eastern accent here, especially hotel staff and cab drivers. It might be harder for regular people but those working with tourists are generally quite good at it.

- I don't think he came to Sligo because of Yeats. There are so many Yeats-related places in Sligo he could have gone to but he didn't (in and slightly outside of town), it would have been captured on CCTV but was never mentioned and this is something gardai would have put out there if they could have found any connection.

- Charity shops, parking garages, private bins, lost and found etc. were checked by Gardai.

- Hotels, restaurants, car rentals etc. in Northern Ireland were checked. Given how many people remembered him in Sligo it would be off that nobody did there. I mean one woman who saw him at the beach even wrote a poem or short story about him because she was so intrigued by his appearance. The only thing Gardai was unable to check were foot passengers from the UK to NI Ferries (I believe there are no records for those). For a while they had 10 people working the case, going through CCTV, passenger lists, and other things. They have been quite thorough.

- A lot of people say he planned everything meticulously but I don't think that is the case, he didn't even choose a hotel before (he asked the taxi driver to take him to a cheap one, the first one was booked up so they tried another one where he ended up staying), considering how much he walked later, it is interesting he took a taxi from the bus station because it is almost right in town and he walks there from the hotel on the day of his departure. I don't think he really knew Sligo and that it was his first time being there.

- I do believe Gardai overestimates how well-known the case is abroad, it has been barely mentioned in German-speaking media.

I am honestly not sure where I stand with this case but I think he came to Sligo to either meet someone or another reason, I don't think it was the town itself or Yeats, and I also don't think he has ever been there before. It is such a small place you would remember even after many years but he didn't seem to know anything, in fact, he was carrying a map when he went in the taxi. I also think he actually wanted to go swimming, he picked a safe and sheltered beach with shallow water instead of the more dangerous one with currents that would have been more likely to take him out to sea. Maybe he was a swimmer earlier in life and wanted to experience it one more time but he also must have known himself he was in no shape to swim out far enough where it would become unsafe and his body was described as not having been in the water for long without signs of saltwater drowning. The way he left his clothes also makes me think he wanted to return them. Maybe he didn't want other people to see him undressing and waited until the beach was empty. The fact he wanted the early bus makes me think he was going to meet someone as he spend hours walking around, sitting on benches etc. Whatever his plan was, I think it didn't actually go to plan. There is also a possibility he didn't know about the cancer, unlikely but not impossible. There are cases when people only find out a few weeks before death due to high pain tolerance for example. He possibly knew his health wasn't great but not that bad if that makes sense. I also can't shake the feeling that there is something sinister about him, he could have been a criminal that was never processed by police but that is just a hunch.

Well that is all I got, I would love to see this case solved at some stage.

I have been following the case for a couple of years and here are a few things I find generally odd or interesting and also a few points regarding other posts in this thread.
My main source is Rosita Boland's work (articles and podcast) as she interviewed all the people directly linked to the case, I do not trust the information on other sites, especially non-Irish ones as there seems to be info missing or lost in translation.

- His clothes and belongings were found neatly folded on a rock, socks in his shoes, etc. the tissues found are "soft & sicher" brand which is sold in the drug store chain DM

For someone who supposedly got rid of everything else, it seems odd he wouldn't have gotten rid of his remaining items if the goal was to vanish in the sea without a trace.

- He was very eager to get the 2.40pm bus despite there being more connections afterward (interview with bus driver at station)

Why was he so eager to get there early if he only planned on walking around? The confirmed sightings begin around 6pm mainly because it was less crowded so people remembered him.

- He didn't pick Rosses Point, he wanted to go to another beach (Strandhill) initially but the cab driver said that one is better for surfing and not ideal for swimming

- Irish police checked facial recognition at UK airports but only for June 2009 which means he either arrived before or not via plane

- I don't think the removed labels are significant, he didn't go out of his way like Jennifer Fairgate (scratched out brand names etc.) to disguise the origin of his clothes. As someone who regularly does it because they bug me, I think people are reading far too much into it.

- His English was described as very good but with a heavy accent, given his age and possible German(ish) heritage that is rather odd because that generation wouldn't really speak English that well unless required for work. Another thing to consider is the Irish accent which can be a problem for people classifying themselves to be fluent in English until they arrive in Ireland. I have seen it time and time again encountering tourists who struggle with it but PB didn't. No communication difficulties were mentioned by anyone he talked to. He had a conversation with the taxi driver who drove him to Rosses Point and in general taxi drivers are notorious for their heavy accents.

I think he could have lived in the north for longer or spend significant time in (Northern) Ireland at some stage.

- The taxi driver said he paid him with a brand new 20 euro note (it must have been in pristine condition for the driver to notice that), Derry bus station has an ATM that also gives out euros but with an added fee, I believe it was already there in 2009 but apparently there is no CCTV, I don't think he withdrew cash in Sligo because it would have been captured by CCTV unless he got the money somewhere else. His remaining cash was found in an envelope and multiple pockets totaling 140 euros so maybe he was given cash in an envelope by someone.

- Gardai/HSE also checked the tumor registry in Europe including NI and UK but nothing was found.

- A copy of the note was shown to Austrian police who would be familiar with different kinds of handwriting I assume (I have seen it mentioned that Irish police may have struggled with cursive or variations of numbers and may have gotten some wrong), it is mentioned they said it was a vacant lot but I believe it is one of those things lost in translation. 1172 is a Vienna postcode, though, basically a post box in a post office to send mail to. I wouldn't read too much into it, I doubt there is a deeper meaning to it.

- Most people described his accent as German, some as Dutch, given the number of tourists especially hotel staff would be quite good at distinguishing different accents. Lots of staff are also from Eastern Europe so most people can easily tell the difference between a German or Eastern accent here, especially hotel staff and cab drivers. It might be harder for regular people but those working with tourists are generally quite good at it.

- I don't think he came to Sligo because of Yeats. There are so many Yeats-related places in Sligo he could have gone to but he didn't (in and slightly outside of town), it would have been captured on CCTV but was never mentioned and this is something gardai would have put out there if they could have found any connection.

- Charity shops, parking garages, private bins, lost and found etc. were checked by Gardai.

- Hotels, restaurants, car rentals etc. in Northern Ireland were checked. Given how many people remembered him in Sligo it would be off that nobody did there. I mean one woman who saw him at the beach even wrote a poem or short story about him because she was so intrigued by his appearance. The only thing Gardai was unable to check were foot passengers from the UK to NI Ferries (I believe there are no records for those). For a while they had 10 people working the case, going through CCTV, passenger lists, and other things. They have been quite thorough.

- A lot of people say he planned everything meticulously but I don't think that is the case, he didn't even choose a hotel before (he asked the taxi driver to take him to a cheap one, the first one was booked up so they tried another one where he ended up staying), considering how much he walked later, it is interesting he took a taxi from the bus station because it is almost right in town and he walks there from the hotel on the day of his departure. I don't think he really knew Sligo and that it was his first time being there.

- I do believe Gardai overestimates how well-known the case is abroad, it has been barely mentioned in German-speaking media.

I am honestly not sure where I stand with this case but I think he came to Sligo to either meet someone or another reason, I don't think it was the town itself or Yeats, and I also don't think he has ever been there before. It is such a small place you would remember even after many years but he didn't seem to know anything, in fact, he was carrying a map when he went in the taxi. I also think he actually wanted to go swimming, he picked a safe and sheltered beach with shallow water instead of the more dangerous one with currents that would have been more likely to take him out to sea. Maybe he was a swimmer earlier in life and wanted to experience it one more time but he also must have known himself he was in no shape to swim out far enough where it would become unsafe and his body was described as not having been in the water for long without signs of saltwater drowning. The way he left his clothes also makes me think he wanted to return them. Maybe he didn't want other people to see him undressing and waited until the beach was empty. The fact he wanted the early bus makes me think he was going to meet someone as he spend hours walking around, sitting on benches etc. Whatever his plan was, I think it didn't actually go to plan. There is also a possibility he didn't know about the cancer, unlikely but not impossible. There are cases when people only find out a few weeks before death due to high pain tolerance for example. He possibly knew his health wasn't great but not that bad if that makes sense. I also can't shake the feeling that there is something sinister about him, he could have been a criminal that was never processed by police but that is just a hunch.

Some really good insights @32shadesofeire. Thanks. Especially this one: "Whatever his plan was, I think it didn't actually go to plan". I got the same impression.

I live close to the border of Germany and DM is definitely German.
Never saw a DM drugstore in The Netherlands,tbh.
dm-drogerie markt – Wikipedia

The most Germans I know,don't speak English fluently, especially when he was born around 1939-1959.

So I do think you got a valid point,that he spend a longer time in Ireland,then first assumed.

Didn't Ireland had a blooming economy,due to ICT and horses,around that time?

Apologies if this has been raised before but I am a little confused why DNA testing isn't being used in this case. Just like the Idsal woman etc and genetic genealogy. I appreciate laws are different in different countries but there is no reason for these cases to remain a mystery - not every case can be solved via these means but let's face it, a large proportion would be?

For decades he has been known only as a man frozen in death, a face without peace, rigid and inscrutable, with deep wells of darkness beneath his lidded eyes.

Now, for the first time, the face of the mysterious Somerton Man, whose body was found lying on an Adelaide beach in 1948, has been revealed in life.

Photos of Charles Webb, who was recently linked to the Somerton Man by DNA and genealogical testing, show him smiling and playing a prank on one of his relatives.

-.-.-

By chance, I just found this. Hopefully the case Peter Bergmann will be solved much earlier than the case of the Somerton man. It needs the right and fully committed person to do the DNA researching. We can hope. :)

ETA: One single hair from the man's death mask was the basis for finding DNA!

For decades he has been known only as a man frozen in death, a face without peace, rigid and inscrutable, with deep wells of darkness beneath his lidded eyes.

Now, for the first time, the face of the mysterious Somerton Man, whose body was found lying on an Adelaide beach in 1948, has been revealed in life.

Photos of Charles Webb, who was recently linked to the Somerton Man by DNA and genealogical testing, show him smiling and playing a prank on one of his relatives.

-.-.-

By chance, I just found this. Hopefully the case Peter Bergmann will be solved much earlier than the case of the Somerton man. It needs the right and fully committed person to do the DNA researching. We can hope. :)

ETA: One single hair from the man's death mask was the basis for finding DNA!
Wow that is really interesting. What an awesome find!

Apologies if this has been raised before but I am a little confused why DNA testing isn't being used in this case. Just like the Idsal woman etc and genetic genealogy. I appreciate laws are different in different countries but there is no reason for these cases to remain a mystery - not every case can be solved via these means but let's face it, a large proportion would be?

It depends if there are any remains left to test. Genetic geneaological testing is different from standard DNA testing and would require a bone to be resampled. It's also currently still quite pricey to do this. Either of those might be the reasons why this hasn't been done yet. Would be a really good case for them to do it on if possible though.

From what I understand, due to privacy rules, genetic genealogy has never been used in Europe. I'm not sure what you're referring to re:Isdal Woman. Her DNA has been tested vs interpol databases as I'm sure Peter Bergmann's has, but I can find no info that genetic genealogy is being used in her case.

Irish law forbids exhumation "without cause" so until someone comes forward believing they know the man, his DNA won't be tested in that way.

His DNA is with Interpol and has been tested multiple times when police from different countries came forward but none of them were matches. It is mentioned in the lengthy podcast about PB. They regularly renew the Interpol notice as well to see if there are any new matches. Isotope testing is really expensive I guess and has never been done, I believe the Gardai said it would help knowing where he might have come from but wouldn't advance his identification. Ancestry etc. uploading isn't allowed in the EU afaik.

Here are a few screenshots from Irelands Unidentified Bodies Episode 2, the address is visible, and the way the clothing tags were removed. I do retract my previous opinion that it was done because they were scratchy, this seems a tad deliberate.

I am not sure about the address but his writing leaves a few questions, letters written differently and I think the address is different than what has previously been assumed. The address on the tissues says for reselling in Austria which gives more hints that he was in fact Austrian or at least spent a lot of time there.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back