Israel - Palestinian militants launch massive attack, 7 Oct 2023 #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Israel admitted to bombing the area. The roads are messed up.

At this time, what you're talking about does not apply. This is about US citizens in Gaza not being allowed to leave.

US Citizens should not be required to be registered by the Govt of Israel. The border is only open to citizens of certain countries. (500 of them American) US Citizens will only be passing through like at an airport and then get on a plane go home. No one is allowed to actually visit Egypt.

Though Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu had called areas in southern Gaza “safe zones” earlier this week, Israeli military spokesman Nir Dinar said Friday: “There are no safe zones.”

Thanks, @Friday Fan. I understand about the road damage. My confusion was not understanding why the border between Egypt and Gaza was regulated by Israel. It was not knowing about the 2005 agreement.
I think Israel should be monitoring who is allowed to leave Gaza now even if it makes the process slower. They have told people from other countries and those with dual citizenship to be prepared with their passports and ID’s as the border gate opens. If the gate is just opened for people to flee, it is likely that first in line will be the Hamas terrorists, (after booby trapping everything they have left behind).

Seems like nobody does.

However, I was surprised to hear from a Palestinian woman interviewed recently that "it is our land, we are not going anywhere". In the best case they, and Israeli, too, are holding onto barely inhabitable desert. It indicates either that she is personally very passive and insecure, or, that she simply has no idea how much more the big world has to offer. Maybe it takes a different mindset to become an immigrant, but I suspect that most of those who stay have been brainwashed, and are scared, too.

I hear what you are saying, and someone more informed and better educated on the subject can explain much better, but there are a lot of reasons why we help other countries. One - It’s very critical that we help stabilize this region, for humanitarian reasons and also defense reasons. Some day we might also be in the same predicament. We can not let terrorists take over the world.

Also, OIL

And, if we don't get it, the Russians, Chinese, etc, will.

Why do you say that? I see many people across the world who sympathize with what the civilian Palestinians are going through. Me included. And those aid trucks didn’t fill up by themselves. People do care about all the innocent people who are living in these horrible conditions. But it’s also hugely complicated.

UK poll, big majority for a ceasefire - across the political spectrum
( I am guessing that many months of watching Russia's attacks on civilians in Ukraine will be one factor in the poll results. Opposition to invasion of Iraq might be a factor in the older demographic in the table - memories of that?)

TBC - no significant political party in GB is in line with public opinion. Green Party is calling for a ceasefire but because of electoral system, they don't have many elected MPs. 4 or 5? IDK)
Total 40 MPs calling for a ceasefire but that's small %. 650MPs in Parliament

Last edited:
3m ago

Biden: Aid trucks should enter Gaza 'within the next 24-48 hours'​

The US president, Joe Biden, said he believed trucks carrying much-needed humanitarian aid should enter Gaza “within the next 24-48 hours'”.

Asked about aid trucks getting through to Gaza, Biden said he “got a commitment” from the Israelis and the president of Egypt, Abdel Fatah al-Sisi. Biden said:

The highway had to be repaved because it was in very bad shape, and I believe that, within the next 24-48 hours, the first 20 trucks will come across with aid.

2 American hostages being released by Hamas, sources say

"In response to Qatari efforts, Al-Qassam Brigades released two American citizens (a mother and her daughter) for humanitarian reasons, and to prove to the American people and the world that the claims made by Biden and his fascist administration are false and baseless," Hamas spokesperson Abu Obaida said in a statement.

snipped by me

what a ridiculous statement.
I don't have a murderous clown emoji to hand

However, I was surprised to hear from a Palestinian woman interviewed recently that "it is our land, we are not going anywhere". In the best case they, and Israeli, too, are holding onto barely inhabitable desert. It indicates either that she is personally very passive and insecure, or, that she simply has no idea how much more the big world has to offer. Maybe it takes a different mindset to become an immigrant, but I suspect that most of those who stay have been brainwashed, and are scared, too.
Gaza is not a barely inhabitable desert. It isn’t a desert. It sits on the Mediterranean Sea. It has suffered greatly, that’s for sure.

The Gazans are not just free to leave, if they want to. It’s very complicated and costly. IMO they also fear repercussions from Hamas.

16 min ago

Israel has previously told the US there are American hostages alive, official tells CNN​

From CNN's MJ Lee

Israel has previously told the United States government that some Americans held hostage by Hamas are known to be alive, a US official told CNN.

It is not clear whether the Israelis were referring only to the two hostages currently being released or had information on more hostages as well. US officials have not said whether they believe any of the American hostages are dead and have previously noted that all hostages are assumed alive.

Earlier on Friday, the Israeli military said the majority of hostages are alive.
The US government has never said how many Americans it believes are being held hostage, only describing the number as a “handful.”

The US currently is not aware of any “proof of life” videos of American citizens held hostage, akin to the video that Hamas released earlier this week of a 21-year-old French-Israeli woman Mia Schem, the source said. But intelligence shared by Israel had led the US to believe some American hostages are alive.

More context: Ascertaining the condition of Americans taken hostage by Hamas and extracting them from Gaza has been a top priority for President Joe Biden since the outbreak of conflict in Israel. Officials have stressed for days how extraordinarily challenging and complex the intelligence-gathering process surrounding American hostages have been. CNN had previously reported that Qatar is in talks with Hamas about the hostages and playing a key mediating role.

“To those who are living in limbo waiting desperately to learn the fate of loved ones, especially to families of the hostages: You're not alone. We're working with partners throughout the region, pursuing every avenue to bring home those who are being held captive by Hamas,” Biden said in Tel Aviv this week. “I can't speak publicly about all the details, but let me assure you: For me as the American president, there is no higher priority than the release and safe return of all these hostages.”

7 min ago

Hostage release is "hopefully the start of more to come," diplomatic source says​

From CNN's Becky Anderson

The pending release of two American hostages from Gaza Friday is "hopefully the start of more to come," a diplomatic source with knowledge of the arrangements told CNN.

The source confirmed that the hostages were with the Red Cross and indicated no exchanges were part of their release.

UK poll, big majority for a ceasefire - across the political spectrum
( I am guessing that many months of watching Russia's attacks on civilians in Ukraine will be one factor in the poll results)

TBC - no significant political party in GB is in line with public opinion. Green Party is calling for a ceasefire but because of electoral system, they don't have many elected MPs. 4 or 5? IDK)
Total 40 MPs calling for a ceasefire but that's small %. 650MPs in Parliament
Also much easier to support a ceasefire when one is safely ensconed thousands of kilometres away from the area ... and one's nation is not fully surrounded by the enemy who wishes to erradicate your very right to exist anywhere on the planet.

Israel has the right to, and will do what it needs to, to ensure that goal of their enemy is not achieved.

Just saying.

Edit to add:

I'd love them to run that poll again using the following:

London = Israel;
Remainder of the Island = Hamas/Hezbollah/Iran Proxies who have vowed to extinguish "all Londoner's Lives" and erradicate London's existence from the river to the sea ...

Now, how do the votes for a ceasefire turn out in London?

Last edited:

Families welcome hostages' release​

A group supporting families of some of the hostages being held in Gaza has welcomed the apparent release of two hostages by Hamas.

We do not know yet if the families are reacting to the reports or have been told anything.

Describing Hamas's actions as war crimes, Hostages Families HQ called on leaders in Arab countries to use their influence on Hamas leaders to immediately release all the kidnapped and missing persons held in Gaza.

The group urged world leaders and the international community to also use their "full power" to work for the release of all the hostages and missing persons.

IMO the first to be released had to be Americans to prove something to Pres Biden.

I, also, think that Hamas needs supplies and now that they were released, the 20 truckloads will go through And they will take most (if not all) of the supplies.
I've thought the same. I bet the US and IDF have eyes on these truck every minute. That's not to say after they are unloaded in warehouses, under ground tunnels are used to accost the supplies.

Moo...

5m ago

Prior to the announcement by Hamas that it had released two US hostages, the BBC reported that talks were ongoing to secure the release of many of the estimated 203 hostages held in Gaza.

The report says that Hamas has offered to release some of the hostages it took on 7 October in exchange for an immediate ceasefire. Israel has so far not agreed to this, it says.

I hear what you are saying, and someone more informed and better educated on the subject can explain much better, but there are a lot of reasons why we help other countries. One - It’s very critical that we help stabilize this region, for humanitarian reasons and also defense reasons. Some day we might also be in the same predicament. We can not let terrorists take over the world.

Well, just maybe we could have offered aid, once there was a cease fire. Rather than throwing gasoline on a fire by promising Israel everything, including an aircraft carrier presence.

Yes, Hamas attacked Israelis. So, now Isreal is justified in a blitzkrieg in Gaza, until everything is pounded to dust?

One would have hoped that the United States could provide stability, and begin peace talks. Rather than stoking the region with more weapons. How is this going end?

Israel ישראל

@Israel

Two of the hostages, mother and daughter Yehudit Tai and Natali Shoshana Raanan were released by the Hamas terror organization and were transferred to the Israeli border via the Red Cross. They are on their way to an army base in central Israel were their families are anxiously waiting to greet them. We will do everything in our power to bring the rest of the hostages home.

5m ago

Prior to the announcement by Hamas that it had released two US hostages, the BBC reported that talks were ongoing to secure the release of many of the estimated 203 hostages held in Gaza.

The report says that Hamas has offered to release some of the hostages it took on 7 October in exchange for an immediate ceasefire. Israel has so far not agreed to this, it says.

I'd be interested to know who the "some of the hostages" are that Hamas would be willing to free in exhange for a ceasefire.

All those except Israelis??

What's the ICRC (Red Cross) got to say on this/negotiations? They are the authority on Hostages in war time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elementpro