Israel - Palestinian militants launch massive attack, 7 Oct 2023 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious why these two hostages were released. I would expect that babies, and people who need medications, should be at the top of the request list.

My guess, and it’s purely a guess, it could be because they are related to Martin Fletcher, who is a long-time Tel Aviv correspondent for MSNBC.

He broke down on the air talking about them.

Still only a guess, but maybe in his career he had built relationships and has connections to some of the power players there?

Plus they are American citizens, so our government must be working behind the scenes.

Regardless, I am THRILLED that these two were released. Obviously there are hundreds more we need to have released safely.

JMO

What should Israel do to comply with international humanitarian law?​

Israel has fundamental legal obligations to abide by during its campaign against Hamas. Heavily charged statements by some Israeli officials need to be separated from sound legal policy. In brief, Israel must meet several standards:

• It must not use starvation (including deprivation of food, water, and other essentials for survival) of Gaza’s civilian population as a weapon of war against Hamas or for any reason.
  • It must take every possible step to target only Hamas militants and their military infrastructure, and to minimize civilian casualties and the destruction of civilian infrastructure. The Israeli air and artillery campaign, as well as its ground warfare, must be guided by the immutable legal principles of humanity, distinction, proportionality, and military necessity.
  • It must allow for the return of displaced civilians after the conflict. While a temporary evacuation of civilians from a theater of combat can be legally requested, it would be unlawful to permanently displace the civilian population from their homes. The circumstances in Gaza today create enormous hardship for hundreds of thousands of Palestinian civilians, and Israel should take measures to ameliorate these difficult conditions. The visits of U.S. President Joe Biden and U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken to the Middle East this week focused in part on what Israel and other nations and organizations can do to address the humanitarian plight of Palestinians in Gaza.

Thanks for posting this. If Israel can't comply with humanitarian law, I seriously doubt the U.S. military strike force will remain nearby.

JMO

Family rabbi of freed US hostages 'ecstatic'​

The family rabbi of Judith and Natalie Raanan has reacted to news of their release.
Speaking to the BBC's Newshour programme on the World Service from Evanston, outside Chicago, Rabbi Dov Klein said he was "ecstatic".

"We've known them 15 years here in Evanston... we've been praying. The fact they’ve been released is an unbelievable miracle. I’m extremely happy. Wonderful news."
But Klein said it was "a little bittersweet" that there remains some 200 hostages held captive by Hamas.

He added: "I said to my congregation, if anyone’s gonna be released first it’s gonna be Jehudit... she has so much hope. She’s filled with joy… tremendous hope."

I'm curious why these two hostages were released. I would expect that babies, and people who need medications, should be at the top of the request list.
I’m very happy they have been released, but I, too, wondered about the little babies and children. The terrorist are still holding them for a reason…leverage and negotiations I suspect. Mind games.

I believe the American mom released here has health issues, and I am very happy that they are coming back home, but all the children need to be released NOW

I’m very happy they have been released, but I, too, wondered about the little babies and children. The terrorist are still holding them for a reason…leverage and negotiations I suspect. Mind games.

I believe the American mom released here has health issues, and I am very happy that they are coming back home, but all the children need to be released NOW
BBM. I think you are spot on!

What Hamas may demand is that Israel release total political control of Gaza in exchange for the Jewish hostages.

JMO

Judith and Natalie Raanan are back in Israel after their release from captivity

Oh, thank God!

I hope, if possible once they have had a chance to somewhat recover from this ordeal, that they might have some info on where other hostages are being kept.

But right now, welcome home to safety, and I imagine back to Chicago when they are ready.

It does feel like this is possibly because of the relationship the hostages have to people that can publicly broadcast their release. I really don't believe it's anything other than publicity. If HAMAS cared about any of them, they never would have taken them in the first place.

Hopefully they can provide some details on where they were held, what conditions are like, if they are taking care of them or abusing them.. then I think there is no way HAMAS would release them if those 2 were subjected to torture or something like that.. would they? Knowing they would share the details.

Health of released hostages is still unknown​

We have one final detail to bring you from the US Secretary of State's update to media.
When Antony Blinken was asked about the health of the two hostages, he said a team was on the way to evaluate them.

"It's happening as we speak, to get our own team in there to see them," he said.

Blinken said information would be shared with media in the coming hours and days.
He also said there was no information on the status or condition of other American hostages still held by Hamas.

It does feel like this is possibly because of the relationship the hostages have to people that can publicly broadcast their release. I really don't believe it's anything other than publicity. If HAMAS cared about any of them, they never would have taken them in the first place.

Hopefully they can provide some details on where they were held, what conditions are like, if they are taking care of them or abusing them.. then I think there is no way HAMAS would release them if those 2 were subjected to torture or something like that.. would they? Knowing they would share the details.
Comparing their "before" and "after" photos, they've been put through the wringer mentally, if not physically. JMO

Last edited:

US Secretary of State says hostages are safe in Israel​

US Secretary of State Antony Blinken is now updating media on the release of hostages Judith and Natalie Raanan.

He says the two Americans are safely in the hands of authorities in Israel. Blinken adds that US officials will meet with them as soon as possible.

Blinken also says there's still 10 additional Americans who remain unaccounted for.
"No family anywhere should have to experience this torture," he says.

I think it had everything to do with the fact they are from the U.S. AND because the mother may have health issues.

I agree with Blinken.

JMO

Or under threat of their fellow hostages being killed if they report about their captivity in anything other than glowing terms?

Thanks, @Friday Fan. I understand about the road damage. My confusion was not understanding why the border between Egypt and Gaza was regulated by Israel. It was not knowing about the 2005 agreement.
I think Israel should be monitoring who is allowed to leave Gaza now even if it makes the process slower. They have told people from other countries and those with dual citizenship to be prepared with their passports and ID’s as the border gate opens. If the gate is just opened for people to flee, it is likely that first in line will be the Hamas terrorists, (after booby trapping everything they have left behind).
When you enter Mexico or the US, you used to enter via a turnstile. This was before the passport days. (There is a charge to use the bridge)
I'm sure something can be worked out!

Also much easier to support a ceasefire when one is safely ensconed thousands of kilometres away from the area ... and one's nation is not fully surrounded by the enemy who wishes to erradicate your very right to exist anywhere on the planet.

Israel has the right to, and will do what it needs to, to ensure that goal of their enemy is not achieved.

Just saying.

Edit to add:

I'd love them to run that poll again using the following:

London = Israel;
Remainder of the Island = Hamas/Hezbollah/Iran Proxies who have vowed to extinguish "all Londoner's Lives" and erradicate London's existence from the river to the sea ...

Now, how do the votes for a ceasefire turn out in London?
Europe has pretty much been this way for quite a while. (decades) MOO: They don't like war in their backyard. I know, it's a big backyard.

8 min ago

US expects Rafah border crossing to open for humanitarian aid soon​

From Jennifer Hansler

US Secretary of State Antony Blinken said Friday he expected to see the Rafah border crossing open for humanitarian aid to Gaza soon.

During a news conference at the State Department, Blinken said the US has been working relentlessly with former Ambassador David Satterfield, who was tapped by US President Joe Biden as the special envoy for Middle East humanitarian issues on the ground, as well as the United Nations, Egypt and Israel to put Biden's proposed plan into motion.

“My expectation is that you'll see that moving soon,” Blinken said in response to a question from CNN.

The Rafah crossing has not opened for desperately-needed humanitarian aid to enter Gaza, and President Joe Biden told reporters it could still be 24-48 hours until it enters.

Part of me didn't want to hear anything these terror-leaders have to say but the interview is quite interesting. The way she skirts around some of the facts which allows him to lie but also tries to hold him to account on others, such as why Hamas consulted nobody else before their atrocities, ' transgressions against civilians' ....' is this part of your ideology?' ...' the last thing the Lebanese need is another war'... ' are you disappointed others haven't risen with you'... ' you are sat in an air conditioned room' ( Suffice to say that he lies throughout)

Yashar is with Huff Post. Clip is a Saudi channel
Ugh...His strategy is that Palestinian civilians need to die for "their (Hamas's cause)". Yuck. He compares himself to other nations who won wars, USSR, Vietnam, Afghanistan.....

And he called hostages "Prisoners"......Once again, you don't even have a court system. Prisoners, my A__. At least POW's are military.
What did they do wrong beside breathe?

They don't have an army, they're a terrorist group. If they want "liberation", go out and buy freak'n uniforms. Do it the old fashioned way. Act like a nation, not a bunch of terrorist cells. (Yes, I'm being facetious...sorta, but they are a terrorist group, they aren't a country. They're a criminal enterprise) Criminals hide in the shadows and that is what Hamas and terrorists do.

Oh and you don't even live in Gaza!! You ain't no leader, you're a chicken. Real leaders live with their people!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member