Israel - Palestinian militants launch massive attack, 7 Oct 2023 #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
In my opinion, Israel has every right to defend itself and avenge the massacres. But Israeli settlers should  not be attacking their neighbors without provocation.
I can't imagine the fear the average Israeli has right now. I am sure many are wondering who is the enemy and who isn't. Who is a sympathizer with HAMAS, who is just waiting for their time to strike. I just can't imagine living in a place I didn't feel safe and had to question if my literal neighbors wanted to harm me and if the neighboring countries were going to attack my country. After what happened on Oct 7th, I don't know how anyone living in Israel feels safe to just live.

I don't know how good the US is with regards to hostages.
Seriously, our track record isn't all that good.
I think they've had many successes with war time hostages. These are mostly from Iraq and just a few I could find to share. The US also successfully found Osama Bin Laden and Saddam Hussein. In the case of Saddam it was the interrogator who successfully got the intel to find him hiding in a literal hole in the ground in the middle of nowhere Iraq. Hopefully they are getting some intel from HAMAS fighters that have been taken hostage by Israel. All it takes is one piece of info that can lead to them finding and rescuing hostages.

Jessica Lynch

Successful rescue of four hostages[edit]​

On June 8, 2004, the JSOC Task Force in Iraq conducted its first hostage rescue in Iraq. Four Italian security contractors had been seized in April and soon after one was murdered by his insurgent captors. A Polish contractor was snatched at the start of June. The insurgents passed on a statement that other hostages would be executed unless Italy withdrew its contribution from the Coalition. Intelligence gathered from raids and solid detective work resulted in a daylight raid by operators from Delta Forces' A squadron against an isolated compound near Ramadi, which was codenamed Objective Medford. Four MH-60K Blackhawks carried the assault elements while 2 MH-60K Blackhawks served as spare and "PC Bird". The "PC Bird" (PC= Precious Cargo) touched down moments after the objective was secured and transported the 4 hostages to a local Army medical facility. Touching down at 1445 hours local time, one Blackhawk was slightly damaged when its tail struck the target compound's wall. The Delta operators stormed the building, capturing several of the kidnappers, and successfully rescued the four hostages.[42]

Roy Hallums

While working in Iraq in 2004, Roy was kidnapped and held for 311 days. He was eventually rescued by U.S. Army Special Forces.

"Pro-Palestine vandals smash windows of Starbucks​

and release stick insects and mice inside four McDonald's​

in spree of attacks in Yorkshire and Birmingham after calls for branches to be targeted over 'support for Israel'.​

The attacks follow calls to boycott Starbucks and McDonald's following claims they have backed Israel amid the crisis. Last month, Starbucks sued its union, Starbucks Workers United, after the labour organisation posted a since-deleted message on X expressing solidarity with Palestinians.

And in Israel, a local McDonald's operator offered discounts to soldiers, security forces -
sparking a pro-Palestine backlash."

View attachment 457412

I don’t know what to do about stick insects but as to mice, happy to purchase a cat for any place of such attack )).

Such idiots, and also abusing animals if you think.

:( Heartbreaking. This needs to stop.

It’s very sad, but it never should have been necessary.

Obviously Hamas should never have invaded the homes of innocent civilians and slaughtered people at a festival, but since that did happen, Hamas should have released all hostages, safe and unharmed.

It is Hamas who started this and Israel has no choice but to go where Hamas is and extinguish them.

The blame is also on Hamas for hiding their people in elaborate labyrinths where their civilians are, and the people were given endless warnings by Israel well in advance.

Unlike Hamas who rampaged through homes in the early morning. No warnings, of course.

IMO

I did as well. We would eat dinner, clean up the table, head to the den for the 6:30 news. At the time very violent, graphics scenes of troops on the ground in gunfire.

Yes, very traumatizing. We had several friends sons and family fighting at the time. I was six years old.

I feel for all the families living this nightmare. The children will carry these memories for life.
Moo
But it only lasted 1/2 hr, of which rarely no more than 15 minutes were devoted to Vietnam. 60 minutes often covered it in-depth. (But Sunday was HW night for me and I always had a bunch to catch up)

I learned more about it at school and from Time Magazine etc.

CNN was 24/7. If you missed a segment, it would repeat. During Vietnam, I was too busy.

Last edited:

Fifteen Israeli soldiers killed as fighting intensifies in Gaza​

Fifteen Israeli soldiers were killed amid fierce fighting in Gaza in a series of incidents that have underlined the mounting challenges facing the Israel Defence Forces in their attempts to push further into built-up areas of Gaza.

The heaviest loss of life occurred when a “Namer” armoured personnel carrier was hit at about noon on Tuesday by an anti-tank guided missile, killing 11 soldiers and wounding several more.

In a separate incident, a number of soldiers were killed when their vehicle struck a mine. In another reported incident, two soldiers died when a rocket-propelled grenade hit the building they were in.

As the names of the dead soldiers were announced on Wednesday, after families had been informed, Israel’s prime minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, vowed to press on with the ground offensive in Gaza. “We are in a difficult war. It will also be a long war. We have important achievements, but also painful losses,” Netanyahu said in a statement released by his office on Wednesday evening.

The latest fatalities bring to 320 the number of IDF soldiers who have been killed since Hamas launched its surprise assault on Israel on 7 October, with most being killed in fighting with Hamas on 7 October and the immediate days following.

The mounting losses for Tuesday emerged piecemeal as it was disclosed that several more soldiers who had been badly injured had died from their wounds.

(...)

(Names and personal details of some of the soldiers who have died at link)

ETA: Update--

Israel says 16 soldiers killed since Tuesday​

An Israeli soldier has been killed today, the Israeli military says in an update.

According to the force's website, 15 soldiers died on Tuesday.

Last edited:
I find it very interesting that the Hamas militants being interrogated have been so cooperative, willing to "spill the beans" (the ones we've seen, anyway). Having trouble wrapping my head around the contrast between the heinous barbarism and the eagerness to confess.

Update on numbers leaving Gaza​

We've just had another update on the numbers of people who have left Gaza via the Rafah crossing into Egypt.

Palestinian officials have said that 76 wounded Gazans and 335 foreign passport holders have been able to exit the territory, bringing the total to more than 400.

'They called me at 2am to tell me to go to the crossing'

A Jordanian man on the Egyptian side of the Rafah crossing has told the BBC team on the ground about how he managed to leave Gaza. He says he had to come to the crossing several times after a number of phone calls from the Jordanian foreign ministry.

"I came [to Gaza] to visit my family, but then I couldn't go back after the war broke out.

"I have been here for almost a month. Today they called at 2am and asked me to go to the crossing, as there will be an evacuation for Jordanians and some foreigners."

He says he used to be manager of the Alouda Hospital in northern Gaza where he says he witnessed three incursions into the northern Gaza Strip.

"None of them were as brutal or violent as we see now," he says.

From News4SanAntonio

Stark generational divide seen among Americans over Israel support

WASHINGTON (TND) — As college campuses rumble with protests, age appears to play a notable role in which side Americans support in the Israel-Hamas war.

A new Wall Street Journal/Ipsos poll found younger Americans are much less supportive of Israel than older Americans.

Around 40% of those polled under 30 years old say the U.S. has a responsibility to help Israel fight Hamas, which is well below the 73% of Americans 65 and older who feel that way.

NPR also has a more in-depth article...

I find it very interesting that the Hamas militants being interrogated have been so cooperative, willing to "spill the beans" (the ones we've seen, anyway). Having trouble wrapping my head around the contrast between the heinous barbarism and the eagerness to confess.

Maybe Captagon wore off and they are in withdrawal phase?

IMO, from what I have seen on the few released interrogations, is that these Hamas Terrorists have been programmed effectively in how NOT to answer certain questions truthfully. The question about him informing his parents was 'covered' with a bold faced lie ( IMO ) to protect them. He considers himself a martyr....for killing Jews, and that is what he wants portrayed...

Global network monitor confirms Gaza blackout

Earlier today, Palestinians' biggest telecommunications provider Paltel, announced "a complete interruption of all communications and internet services" in the Gaza Strip

It is the second such report since the start of Israel’s ground operation in Gaza.

The Paltel notification on social media said the cut off was "due to international routes that were previously reconnected being cut off again".

Global network monitor Netblocks confirmed a new blackout, adding it would mean "a total loss of telecommunications" for most of the territory's more than two million residents.

Those near Gaza's boundaries with Israel and Egypt might be able to pick up some signal if they have an international sim card.

IMO, from what I have seen on the few released interrogations, is that these Hamas Terrorists have been programmed effectively in how NOT to answer certain questions truthfully. The question about him informing his parents was 'covered' with a bold faced lie ( IMO ) to protect them. He considers himself a martyr....for killing Jews, and that is what he wants portrayed...
That's a good point ("don't tell Mom and Dad, they don't know..."). But he's not a martyr-- he's alive and in serious trouble. There's a difference, imo.

10:09

A close look at the humanitarian situation in Gaza​

We've been focusing on those leaving Gaza for much of today, but let's remind ourselves of the conditions for those who remain (as outlined by the UN's Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs).

Hospitals: Just 13 hospitals left in the Palestinian enclave remain operational, out of 35 that existed before the conflict erupted on 7 October. The rest have either been damaged by strikes or forced to close due to a lack of supplies.

Healthcare staff: Hospitals are operating with less than one-third of their normal staffing levels, according to the Hamas-run Ministry of Health in Gaza. Meanwhile, 16 healthcare workers are estimated to have been killed while on duty and another 30 injured.

Water: Yesterday, one out of Gaza's three water supply lines from Israel was restored for the first time since being cut off last month - though the amount being received has yet to be assessed.

Electricity: Gaza remains under a full electricity blackout, using backup generators to get by, after Israel halted both electricity and fuel on 11 October in a bid to cut off Hamas's supplies. Humanitarian aid entering Gaza since 21 October, via the Rafah crossing with Egypt, has not been allowed to include fuel for this reason.

Aid trucks: Some 59 trucks carrying water, food and medicines entered Gaza yesterday - making it the largest convoy of aid to be delivered so far. In total, 217 trucks have entered the enclave so far but officials have consistently pointed out that Gaza used to receive around 500 of these trucks every day.

Bakeries: Just one bakery run by the World Food Programme (WFP) and eight local Gazan ones remain operational, supplying bread to Palestinians. Hours-long queues are reported in front of them as a result, where the UN says people are exposed to airstrikes.

From News4SanAntonio

Stark generational divide seen among Americans over Israel support

WASHINGTON (TND) — As college campuses rumble with protests, age appears to play a notable role in which side Americans support in the Israel-Hamas war.

A new Wall Street Journal/Ipsos poll found younger Americans are much less supportive of Israel than older Americans.

Around 40% of those polled under 30 years old say the U.S. has a responsibility to help Israel fight Hamas, which is well below the 73% of Americans 65 and older who feel that way.

NPR also has a more in-depth article...
I'd say that those under 30 were 8 years old and under or not even born when 9/11 happened. Those of us that were maybe 20+ that day likely have a very real image of the horror we remember feeling and the sick and helpless feelings we had as we watched our country being attacked by terrorists. We wondered what was next, fearful that more planes had yet to hit their targets.. then the towers fell and we saw the images of those brave rescue workers just digging and digging and then the long clean up. We know what it was like to be attacked by terrorists and feeling helpless. Many of us vowed never again if we can help it.

I pray we never have to experience another 9/11 for the younger generation to understand the gravity of what terrorists can do when they go unchecked.

Hamas takes the last 600 litres of fuel left in the resevoir at Indionesian Hospital:

Recording of call beween the Hopital Director and a Gazan Resident embedded into below linked article:

In a conversation between a Gaza resident, a Hamas commander and the director of the Indonesian hospital in Gaza, the hospital director is heard admitting: "A Hamas operative came to fill up fuel" intended for the civilian population • "At night a Hamas man said to fill 1,000 liters, I said the hospital had 600 liters in the reservoir, so he told me to fill them for them" • The Gaza resident pleaded: "Fill it for him now. They are pressuring us, a little more and they will start shooting us." • The conversation and documentation

The Gaza resident was heard pleading with the hospital director to fill Hamas with fuel: "We all work as a government for the good of Palestine. Fill it in, we need to get to work. Come on, fill him in now. The people are pressuring us, a little longer, and they will start shooting at us because they are pressuring us."

10:09

A close look at the humanitarian situation in Gaza​

We've been focusing on those leaving Gaza for much of today, but let's remind ourselves of the conditions for those who remain (as outlined by the UN's Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs).

Hospitals: Just 13 hospitals left in the Palestinian enclave remain operational, out of 35 that existed before the conflict erupted on 7 October. The rest have either been damaged by strikes or forced to close due to a lack of supplies.

Healthcare staff: Hospitals are operating with less than one-third of their normal staffing levels, according to the Hamas-run Ministry of Health in Gaza. Meanwhile, 16 healthcare workers are estimated to have been killed while on duty and another 30 injured.

Water: Yesterday, one out of Gaza's three water supply lines from Israel was restored for the first time since being cut off last month - though the amount being received has yet to be assessed.

Electricity: Gaza remains under a full electricity blackout, using backup generators to get by, after Israel halted both electricity and fuel on 11 October in a bid to cut off Hamas's supplies. Humanitarian aid entering Gaza since 21 October, via the Rafah crossing with Egypt, has not been allowed to include fuel for this reason.

Aid trucks: Some 59 trucks carrying water, food and medicines entered Gaza yesterday - making it the largest convoy of aid to be delivered so far. In total, 217 trucks have entered the enclave so far but officials have consistently pointed out that Gaza used to receive around 500 of these trucks every day.

Bakeries: Just one bakery run by the World Food Programme (WFP) and eight local Gazan ones remain operational, supplying bread to Palestinians. Hours-long queues are reported in front of them as a result, where the UN says people are exposed to airstrikes.

Has small-scale solar power (panels, batteries for smaller devices, etc) entered the equation? Surely Hamas doesn't make use of that, and it would be vastly helpful to civilians for a number of applications. Forgive me if this was already mentioned and I missed it.:)

Turkey is waiting for approval from Egyptian authorities to set up field hospitals near Gaza for those fleeing the Palestinian territory, health minister Fahrettin Koca posted to social media.

“We have made all preparations to establish 20 field hospitals at El Arish Airport, in the area close to the Rafah border gate” in Egypt, AFP reported Koca writing in a statement. He added:

We are in close dialogue with the Egyptian and Palestinian health ministries on all these issues. We are waiting for security to be ensured and permissions to be granted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarah573x