Israel - Palestinian militants launch massive attack, 7 Oct 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Israel Gaza live updates: Families search for missing as toll reaches 600 after Hamas attack on Israel - BBC News
Posted at 13:5013:50

'My friend was a very good person. His name was Lior Waitzman'​

Dov messages me from the southern Israeli town of Sderot to say that his electricity and phone service are finally back after an hours-long cut - but the news is not good.

Late last night he told me about his friend who had called his wife at 07:00 on Saturday while on a bike ride near Sderot - to tell her that he was being shot at.

This evening, Dov tells me that his friend's body was found earlier today.

"He was training for a competition. It's really heartbreaking: he was shot at when he called her. He probably died on the spot. He was a very good person. His name was Lior Waitzman."

Dov tells me about all the messages people have been leaving on social media in tribute to his friend, who he says was very loved in the city. Lior leaves behind a wife and a young son.

1696798521315.png

5min ago

IDF says Navy boat strikes two rocket launchers in Gaza

The Israel Defense Forces says a Navy missile boat struck three rocket launchers, aimed at Israel, in the Gaza Strip.

49sec ago

UAE calls for end to violence, says ‘appalled’ by Hamas taking civilians hostage

The United Arab Emirates calls to end the violence and protect civilians in the ongoing war between Israel and Hamas.

In a statement, the UAE stresses that Hamas attacks “against Israeli towns and villages near the Gaza Strip, including the firing of thousands of rockets at population centers, are a serious and grave escalation.”

The statement also says it is “appalled by reports that Israeli civilians have been abducted as hostages from their homes.”

Abu Dhabi also says it “mourns the loss of Israeli and Palestinian lives.”

12:00 am

WSJ: Iran, Hezbollah helped Hamas plan multi-front attack on Israel

A report in the Wall Street Journal claims that Iran helped Hamas plan its attack on Israel during a meeting in Beirut last week, and has been working on it for weeks.

The report cites senior members of Hamas and Hezbollah, and says plans were ongoing since August, and included several meetings in Beirut, which included members of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corp.

12:08 am

Reports of direct rocket impacts in Ashkelon after barrage from Gaza

1696799505514.png

Medics are responding to reports of direct rocket impacts on a number of residential buildings in the southern coastal city of Ashkelon.

There is no immediate information available on casualties.

Hamas claims to have launched 100 rockets at Ashkelon

12:10 am

Fresh rocket barrage toward Ashkelon shortly after round of rockets

Fresh rockets have been fired from Gaza toward Ashkelon must minutes after an earlier barrage, including reports of direct impacts.

12:00 am

WSJ: Iran, Hezbollah helped Hamas plan multi-front attack on Israel

A report in the Wall Street Journal claims that Iran helped Hamas plan its attack on Israel during a meeting in Beirut last week, and has been working on it for weeks.

The report cites senior members of Hamas and Hezbollah, and says plans were ongoing since August, and included several meetings in Beirut, which included members of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corp.

Hezbollah boasts precision rockets and says it can hit all parts of Israel. In 2021, Hezbollah leader Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah said the group had 100,000 fighters.

Iran gives Hezbollah weapons and money.

Hezbollah has deep ties to other Iran-backed groups around the region, including the Palestinian factions Hamas and Islamic Jihad.

Hezbollah has trained Iran-backed groups in Iraq and takes part in fighting there.

What is Lebanon's Hezbollah?

I am leaving now for a pro-Israel rally in my neighborhood. My family is afraid that something will happen to me but I don’t think it will.

Someone said above that Hamas does not respect life.

I would say they respect life among their own but not outside it. For example, every so often we see young Muslim women killed by radicals because they didn’t wear a hijab to cover their hair, and that’s considered immodest.

Yet for Jewish women, they consider it a goal to parade these women naked in the streets.

I’m a Jewish New Yorker. My cousin is married to an Egyptian and I have many Muslim friends. None of them believe this way. All are appalled.

JMO
We are all appalled too and stand with you.

Israel-Hamas war live: 800 Gaza targets hit and ‘hundreds of fighters’ killed, says Israel, as death toll from Hamas attacks climbs (theguardian.com)
1m ago17.14 EDT
Iran helped Hamas plan its surprise attacks against Israel over the weekend, according to senior members of Hamas and Hezbollah who spoke to the Wall Street Journal.

The Journal reports:

Officers of Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps had worked with Hamas since August to devise the air, land and sea incursions –the most significant breach of Israel’s borders since the 1973 Yom Kippur War—those people said.

Details of the operation were refined during several meetings in Beirut attended by IRGC officers and representatives of four Iran-backed militant groups, including Hamas,which holds power in Gaza, and Hezbollah, a Shiite militant group and political faction in Lebanon, they said.

U.S. officials say they haven’t seen evidence of Tehran’s involvement. In an interview with CNN that aired Sunday, Secretary of State Antony Blinken said: “We have not yet seen evidence that Iran directed or was behind this particular attack, but there is certainly a long relationship.”

“We don’t have any information at this time to corroborate this account,” said a U.S. official of the meetings.

A European official and an adviser to the Syrian government, however, gave the same account of Iran’s involvement in the lead-up to the attack as the senior Hamas and Hezbollah members.

Asked about the meetings, Mahmoud Mirdawi, a senior Hamas official, said the group planned the attacks on its own. “This is a Palestinian and Hamas decision,” he said.

US aid to Israel is aggression, Hamas says​

More now from Hamas. The militant group is quoted by the AFP news agency as saying that fresh US military aid to Israel amounts to "aggression" against Palestinians.

The group is said to have called on "resistance fighters in the West Bank" and "Arab and Islamic nations" to join the battle.

"The announcement of the US that it will provide an aircraft carrier to support the occupation (Israel) is actual participation in the aggression against our people," it said.

7min ago

Health Ministry says number of wounded in Israel rises to 2,315

The Health Ministry updates that so far at least 2,315 people have been wounded and treated in Israeli hospitals since the outbreak of war yesterday.

Of those, 23 are in critical condition, 340 in serious condition, 449 in moderate condition, 1,233 in light condition, 56 are being treated for severe anxiety and 202 are still being evaluated by medical officials.

More than 700 are thought to have been killed, with that figure expected to rise.

Please be safe, @Arkay. <3

Keep safe! X

@Arkay let us know when you are home, please.

Please stay safe and check in when you return @Arkay
And to @justtrish

I’m safely home and I thank all my friends here for their concern.
It was just a small neighborhood rally in NYC, and there were police to keep us safe from anyone seeking harm.
Thank you, too, @imstilla.grandma, but I’m not in Israel! I agree that what they are enduring is unimaginable.

Thank you everyone and I hope I didn’t leave anyone out.

Jews and Gentiles alike at the rally. All people who stand against terrorism.

IMG_7585.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m safely home and I thank all my friends here for their concern.
It was just a small neighborhood rally in NYC, and there were police to keep us safe from anyone seeking harm.
Thank you, too, @imstilla.grandma, but I’m not in Israel! I agree that what they are enduring is unimaginable.

Thank you everyone and I hope I didn’t leave anyone out.

Jews and Gentiles alike at the rally. All people who stand against terrorism.

View attachment 452288
Glad you were there, glad you are home. :)

12:25 am

Hamas spokesperson claims terror group still operating in several areas in Israel

Abu Ubaida, spokesman of the Izz ad-Din al-Qassam Brigades, the military wing of the Palestinian Islamist movement Hamas, speaks during a memorial in the southern Gaza Strip town of Rafah on January 31, 2017. (Abed Rahim Khatib/ Flash90)
Abu Ubaida, spokesman of the Izz ad-Din al-Qassam Brigades, the military wing of the Palestinian Islamist movement Hamas, speaks during a memorial in the southern Gaza Strip town of Rafah on January 31, 2017. (Abed Rahim Khatib/ Flash90)

In a speech, Abu Ubaida, spokesman for the Izz ad-Din al-Qassam brigades, the military wing of Hamas, claims that fighting is still ongoing in several areas near the northern Gaza border, including Zikim, Sufa, and Mefalsim, and that terrorists managed to take a new group of Israeli hostages into the Gaza strip today.

Abu Ubaida further claims that Hamas members killed and wounded a large number of Israeli forces in Mavki’im, south of Ashkelon, and retreated safely from the Urim base, which hosts the 3200 IDF Intelligence Unit, he adds.

The spokesman also alleges that Hamas members have documented cases in which Israeli forces killed a number of Israeli captives detained by the terror group. Hamas has made similar claims in the past, which later turned out to be false.

In a separate statement, another Hamas spokesman commented on the US sending an aircraft carrier group to the eastern Mediterranean in support of Israel, saying that the US is attempting to raise the collapsed morale of the Israeli army.

"This is America putting its might where its mouth is" (a complimentary statement)

Our Aussie journalist's comment on the naval carrier strike force that is steaming toward Israel. They showed a shot of three warships making their way there.

Source: Ch7 morning news

'Nobody could help us' - Shock and anger in Israel's Ashkelon​

[…]

"In the morning, the rocket fire started. Everyone got scared and started running towards the road to drive home. As we got on the road, the gunfire began. It was really shocking. People were murdered, there were car accidents," the man says.

"I called the police. Nobody could help us. For an hour and a half, we sat inside a battle, helpless. Eventually I got into the car with some people. I'm a medic so I tried to evacuate two wounded. As I reached a junction I saw people in army fatigues - but they weren't military - they started firing at me."

[…]

Many Israelis I meet are shocked at how their powerful security forces were overwhelmed by the scale and complexity of the Hamas operation. Now there are complaints of a lack of help from the authorities.

One tearful couple are making their own inquiries going from hospital to hospital. They do not know if their missing son is injured, dead or among the dozens of hostages who have been snatched by armed fighters and taken back to Gaza.

A distraught mother, Rachel Ezra confronts an MP who is visiting the hospital. "I want you to help me find my boy, Oz and his girlfriend Naomi - they're aged 24 and 23," she shouts. "I don't know what to say!"

She calls for the toughest military action against Gaza in retaliation for what has happened, and she is not the only one.

[…]

Overhead, there are regular booms as Israel's Iron Dome missile defence system intercepts rockets which have been fired by Palestinian militants.

It has protected residents through many previous rounds of fighting with Hamas. But right now, nobody in Ashkelon feels very safe.

Rockets are fired toward Israel from the Gaza Strip

Rockets are fired toward Israel from the Gaza Strip

American Airlines, Air France, Lufthansa, Emirates and Ryanair are among those pulling flights to Tel Aviv's Ben Gurion airport.

However, airport authorities did not stop commercial air links with Israel's second international airport at Eilat, a tourist destination on the Red Sea.

And Israeli flag carrier El Al said Sunday that it was maintaining its Tel Aviv flights for now,
though some flights operated by foreign partners had been cancelled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member