Italy - Sailing yacht sank off Italian coast, 15 rescued, 7 missing, 19 August 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Crew. Were All Fluent in a Common Language? Language Barrier?

@RedHaus Thanks for your post w listing of crew members' ages, good point.

My title pretty much says it. Even in a crisis where everyone is fluent in a shared language, it's easy for miscommunications to happen.
Did all the crew members speak a common language?

Is it reasonable to guess, w a Kiwi captain & British passengers/guests (were some from other countries?) that it would be English? IDK.

Despite some crew hailing from Myanmar,* Ireland,** France,*** The Netherlands,**** it's possible they all spoke English fluently.

Also what about language of WEATHER REPORTS? Broadcast? Online? Or ?

Regardless, even if weather was the only/primary direct cause, circumstances would have been ripe for miscommunication.
What a tragedy.

*** Official = French.
**** Official = Dutch.

If they lived in Europe for a while, chances are, many of them were at least bilingual, if not trilingual. JMO.

In addition to @Dotta's response with sources about the possible inexperience of the crew, take a look at the ages of the surviving crew per today's DM article.

While not all have ages listed, many who do are quite young. Granted that could be explained by the split between hospitality and sailing crew as we don't know each survivor's role on the yacht. But I still find it striking how young aka inexperienced many of the crew was.

So I suppose one line of inquery by the prosecutor could be hiring decisions and training protocols. And I wonder now, does the captain and/or the owners of a yacht hire crew?

"Who are the nine surviving crew members
Captain James Cutfield, 51, a New Zealander
Sasha Murray, 29, from Ireland
Kyaw Htun Myin, 31 from Myanmar
Matthew Griffith, 22, from France
Leo Eppel, from South Africa
Onboard hostess Leah Randall, 20 from South Africa
Hostess Katja Chicken, 23, from Germany
Tus Koopmans, from the Netherlands
Eaton Parker, believed to be from the UK"

All IMO

Sasha Murray, 29, Chief Stewardess
Kyaw Htun Myin, Burmese, age 39
Matthew Griffith, 22 was look out on that night
Leo Eppel, 19, on his first voyage
Tim Parker Eaton, no age found, but described as long serving crew member, was the ship engineer
Tijs Koopmans, 33, First Officer

Italian prosecutors are investigating Tim Parker Eaton, who was in charge of the engine room on the night of the sinking, a judicial source told Reuters today.

Investigators are also said to be probing another British crew member, Matthew Griffith, who was keeping watch on deck, as well as Tijs Koopmans, 33, the Dutch first officer.

1724846442290.png

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crimecat8