Italy - Sailing yacht sank off Italian coast, 15 rescued, 7 missing, 19 August 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
RSBM
Excellent find, @SpanishInquisition. I agree with your assessment of the Bayesian's design being in part at fault for this tragedy, as I shared up thread. However, I also still question the crew's actions (and possibly their preparedness if there was severe thunderstorm activity in the area, which I have yet to find evidence of).

Anyhow, what I snipped from your post confuses / concerns me.

The captain, IMO, gave the correct order in response to the watchman waking him: "wake everyone else up". But from the way the watchman's statement is written, it sounds like rather than wake everyone up, he first put away cushions and plants and closed up windows and "some" hatches. And what hatches, if any, did he not close?

So I am left wondering, did the watchman in fact wake everyone up? And was "everyone" meant to reference all crew, or crew and passengers. IOW, I am still left with a sinking feeling more could have been done to get the sleeping passengers up onto the deck with life vests on (e.g. fire alarm, broadcast announcement, opening doors, etc.).

This statement from the watchman sadly does not abate that, although it leaves me more confident in the captain.
In reading both the English and the Italian, it is not clear if he woke up all humans or just the crew.

I read it as though he woke up the crew.

I think it’s very very interesting that they were thrown off the boat and managed to get back on -
And when they did get back on, they had to walk on the walls due to the tilt.

At that point I wonder what was the access to Hannah’s room? Covered by rushing water?

RSBM
A tremendous find, @SpanishInquisition.

Right at the top of the first page is this very compelling statement from the Bayesian Stability Document: “In adverse weather conditions and where there is the possibility of encountering a severe gust, squall or large breaking wave, all exposed doors, hatches, skylights, vents, etc. should be closed and securely fastened to prevent the ingress of water.”

Didn't I read somewhere, sorry I can't remember, that the Bayesian had an electronic mechanism to shut everything up? But it sounds like the watchman was 'manually' closing windows and hatches. Of course that is my interpretation.

IMO.

In reading both the English and the Italian, it is not clear if he woke up all humans or just the crew.

I read it as though he woke up the crew.

I think it’s very very interesting that they were thrown off the boat and managed to get back on -
And when they did get back on, they had to walk on the walls due to the tilt.

At that point I wonder what was the access to Hannah’s room? Covered by rushing water?

I imagine they were able to get back on if they were tied off with safety lines. The long lines attach to them and to the boat, and are used in heavy weather when the crew must do things on the deck. Stops a 'man-overboard' situation where they cannot retrieve the 'man'.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BootsMinor
Back