Italy - Sailing yacht sank off Italian coast, 15 rescued, 7 missing, 19 August 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Did anyone ever report anything about a second life raft being deployed? Because all 15 who survived were in one life raft made for 12, and the chef was found deceased in the water, but I do wonder how the remaining six would have fared even if they had made it up on deck. Nine of the 15 survivors in the raft were crew members, including the Captain.

Sixteen minutes is estimated time to escape the sinking boat. They put out of life raft with mostly staff and some guests. How much time did they have for the life raft 1-2 minutes?

Something about anchor drag, and another ship in the area had the same anchor drag. A water spout that tilted, twisted and turned the boat put the top of the boat at water level at 4 a.m. Unsure about open latches.

Six guests survived, nine crew members survived. The chef didn't. Five-six guests did not survive.

Did the owner go down with the ship after successfully defeating a 13 year lawsuit? With his 18 year old daughter, who was set to read English at Oxford, by his side?

The body of Mike Lynch's missing daughter Hannah has been recovered from the wreck of the Bayesian superyacht, as Italian authorities begin a manslaughter investigation into the sinking.

The body of Mike Lynch's missing daughter Hannah has been recovered from the wreck of the Bayesian superyacht, as Italian authorities begin a manslaughter investigation into the sinking.

This has made it all feel so real now, it's just tragic.
Manslaughter?...

Manslaughter?...

Seems unrealistic, if the yacht was hit by a waterspout. Especially if it was a tornadic waterspout.
The yacht may have been able to weather the storm, but not the waterspout. I don't think anyone can really predict a waterspout. And it would not have been visible in the dark at 4:00 am.

Though it usually occurs in warm and humid areas, the accurate forecast of waterspouts would be a slim chance, owing to the unpredictable nature of the events.

imo

Seems unrealistic, if the yacht was hit by a waterspout. Especially if it was a tornadic waterspout.
The yacht may have been able to weather the storm, but not the waterspout. I don't think anyone can really predict a waterspout. And it would not have been visible in the dark at 4:00 am.

Though it usually occurs in warm and humid areas, the accurate forecast of waterspouts would be a slim chance, owing to the unpredictable nature of the events.

imo
I think the point is that it should have been able to survive it, like the 'Baden Powell' next to it did. What the Italians are investigating is their equivalent of the British 'manslaughter through gross negligence', in other words, was the handling of the ship by the crew so negligent that they are culpable in the loss of the ship and the deaths of the passengers.

I think the point is that it should have been able to survive it, like the 'Baden Powell' next to it did. What the Italians are investigating is their equivalent of the British 'manslaughter through gross negligence', in other words, was the handling of the ship by the crew so negligent that they are culpable in the loss of the ship and the deaths of the passengers.

I certainly agree there needs to be an investigation. But there are experts (already) who disagree with it being due to negligence. It is going to be a matter of different expert opinions. imo
Obviously the yacht was not unsinkable (as the yacht builder claims). It sank.

Marine experts believe the large waterspout — a slim column of spinning air below a thunderstorm that occurs over water — was a “black swan event” or a weather phenomenon characterized by its extreme rarity and severe impact

“That water carries significant weight,” Matthew Schanck, chairman of the Maritime Search and Rescue Council, told the Times. “And if the waterspout ends up dumping a load of that water on board the vessel, that’s going to cause significant damage.”

‘Black swan’ weather phenomenon may have sunk Bayesian yacht, experts say

Did the owner go down with the ship after successfully defeating a 13 year lawsuit? With his 18 year old daughter, who was set to read English at Oxford, by his side?
The yacht was owned by Angela Barcares (Mrs Lynch), maybe only on the paper, but still legally, and she survived, loosing both her husband, and daughter.

30m ago13:13

Tributes pour in for Hannah Lynch​

Tributes are pouring in for 18-year-old Hannah Lynch.
A friend of Ms Lynch, Katya Lewis, described her as a "warm and beautiful soul".
"Being with Hannah made me feel whole and happy," she said.
lcimg-753f7e48-e823-4902-9f93-2291bededdfd.jpeg

The head of English at Latymer Upper School, Jon Mitropoulos-Monk, said he had never taught someone who "combined sky-high intellectual ability with warmth and enthusiasm in the way Hannah did".
"She lit up the classroom with her energy, passion for learning and sheer intelligence."
Mr Mitropoulos-Monk described her as one of the best English students in the country, scoring 100% in her English literature GCSE.
"She loved literature, learning and life. She was so excited to start studying English at Oxford, a goal she had worked so hard towards."
One of Hannah's classmates, Gracie Lea, said she thought of "poetry, sunshine, and her beautiful eyes" when she thought of Ms Lynch.
"I'll always remember her smiling," she added.
Patrick Jacob, a family friend, said: "Hannah was charming and ferociously intelligent with an insatiable thirst for life and knowledge.
"I am 50 years older than her and in my life I have never met anybody like Hannah. We have lost one of our brightest stars whose future held so much promise."

28m ago13:15

Friend pays tribute to 'brilliant mind' Mike Lynch​

More tributes have come in now for Hannah's father, Mike Lynch, whose body was recovered yesterday.
Close friend Andrew Kanter called him "the most brilliant mind and caring person I have ever known".
lcimg-8c9fb0b0-88a6-4b7a-b5ab-c7f271629042.jpeg

"There is simply no other UK technology entrepreneur of our generation who has had such an impact on so many people.
"His passion for life, knowledge and all those around him was instantly inspiring to everyone he met, and he will be sorely missed."
Sushovan Hussain, a colleague and friend of Mr Lynch since school, said he and his wife were "utterly devastated by the deaths of so many of our dear friends".
"His departure leaves an unfillable hole in my life. We have known Hannah since her birth, and for her to be taken on the precipice of her life is cruel beyond belief.
"Our hearts bleed for Angela and her remaining daughter."

13m ago13:31

'Unspeakable grief': Lynch family releases statement​

A spokesperson for the Lynch family has released a statement.
"The Lynch family is devastated, in shock and is being comforted and supported by family and friends.
"Their thoughts are with everyone affected by the tragedy.
"They would like to sincerely thank the Italian coastguard, emergency services and all those who helped in the rescue.
"Their one request now is that their privacy be respected at this time of unspeakable grief."

Superyacht sinks latest: Family of Mike Lynch and his daughter Hannah release statement - after divers recover body of final missing person

Did anyone ever report anything about a second life raft being deployed? Because all 15 who survived were in one life raft made for 12, and the chef was found deceased in the water, but I do wonder how the remaining six would have fared even if they had made it up on deck. Nine of the 15 survivors in the raft were crew members, including the Captain.
So sad Tortoise. And yet the ratio of surviving crew to passengers is unsettling IMO. Including the captain. For some reason the story of Bruce Ismay and Titanic comes to mind. MOO

I do have to wonder if this was a regular joe blow family and friends would manslaughter charges be brought.

Strange to me.

Jmo
No charges have been brought, the Italian authorities have simply opened an investigation. And regardless of who was on board, I believe an investigation would be launched if a state-of-the-art yacht sank in what many believe were survivable conditions and resulted in multiple people dying.

I think people are getting hung up on the word 'manslaughter', but that's a term used in legal systems that are based on English common law. I doubt it has any meaning under Italian law. I suspect something is getting lost in translation, and they are just conducting a criminal investigation to understand why the yacht sank and if the actions and/or inactions of the captain and crew were responsible.

I imagine it's the same type of investigation that the Italian authorities launched some years ago after the sinking of the Costa Concordia. I don't see anything strange about it.

I wonder what type of emergency drills or procedures had been practiced? And if any of those measures had been taken? An alarm or something to alert passengers to danger?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
faefawn
Back