Italy - Sailing yacht sank off Italian coast, 15 rescued, 7 missing, 19 August 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I wonder how long it took people thrown into that raging sea to actually get to the life raft and get into it.

I think we have to remember that there were high winds, heavy rain, and likely large swells and crashing waves. Horrible scenario.
Some people can't even step into a dinghy from a still boat in a calm sea. (I fell doing that once :D )
From my understanding of reports, most people got into the life raft on board- but it may just be the crew staying silent about what happened. The wife was on it, the mother and baby got onto it after being submerged in the sea- we perhaps have to just wait and see what is said, it was inflated on deck that we have seen reported.

If you don’t know about the hiscox offices- have a look, they were well cared for staff in a gorgeous environment.

From my understanding of reports, most people got into the life raft on board- but it may just be the crew staying silent about what happened. The wife was on it, the mother and baby got onto it after being submerged in the sea- we perhaps have to just wait and see what is said, it was inflated on deck that we have seen reported.

The usual scenario would be to inflate the life raft, throw it in, then get into it. Simply because you can get injured if you are already in the life boat. You hold onto the line that attaches to the life boat, as you exit the yacht. And get to the life raft.
Maybe in this instance it was done differently. IDK

Even when I fell getting into a dinghy from a still boat, I injured myself and capsized the dinghy. Others in the dinghy fell in, and we lost stuff to the bottom of the sea (which we later dived for and retrieved, when the tide went out).

It is tricky manouvering yourself in water into boats.

imo

I think the point is that it should have been able to survive it, like the 'Baden Powell' next to it did. What the Italians are investigating is their equivalent of the British 'manslaughter through gross negligence', in other words, was the handling of the ship by the crew so negligent that they are culpable in the loss of the ship and the deaths of the passengers.

But if it was hit by a waterspout, that would explain why the Baden Powell survived and the Bayesian didn't. MOO

snipped.

I read a comment by a boat designer that the real reason for super-yachts having these tall masts isn't because of any functionality they provide. Rather, a lot of yacht ownership is about bragging rights and status so wealthy buyers like them because of how impressive they look.
Wow, that is concerning. It seems like some shipbuilders are willing to set aside the safety aspects for status.

The yacht was not moving or docking, it was effectively parked for the night.
The super yacht was at anchor though, and not docked. I think this may put it in some sort of "in between" state regarding sailing and parked.

I agree, however, the Captain was not going to be up all night. Crewed ships keep a series of "watches" such as bridge, engine room etc. depending on their status (parked, anchored, underway etc.).

It was once explained to me how the watch system worked- but as I was not familiar with the concept, it seemed very confusing.

I am guessing, however, that there would have been at least somebody on bridge watch? Or as the yacht was anchored, would the person on watch had been say, making rounds on various decks?

But if it was hit by a waterspout, that would explain why the Baden Powell survived and the Bayesian didn't. MOO
I agree, tornados are a freak of nature, they aren't expected and couldn't have been predicted.

But still, it seems, someone must be blamed, it must be someone's fault.

JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amps
Back