Italy - Sailing yacht sank off Italian coast, 15 rescued, 7 missing, 19 August 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
My Goodness!
This boat was full of clutter :oops:
So unsafe, with crew apparently not trained enough.

It was a disaster waiting to happen!
And, unfortunately, it happened :(

Not all is gold that glitters.

Terrible deaths by drowning.
On an "unsinkable" yacht.

RIP to all poor victims.
Sincere condolences to families.

JMO

My guess is that HL was staying in the first cabin on the left after the master suit (her parents' cabin), as it seems to be a smaller cabin compared to the others (see post #191). As far as I've seen we don't know in which cabins the other guests were staying, on the left or the right side, and whether they were found in their own cabin/s or not. The young couple with the baby was above deck, perhaps also the other younger couple was there too. Or their cabin had been next to the stairs, and they had easy access/easy to find the stairs in darkness.
The question is, does the "found in compartment" where the other five was found mean that all were found in one cabin, in some other area, or that the couples were in their cabins, and ML were in one of those cabins too? Or could the bodies have floated into the same 'compartment' as the left side of the yacht was "up"?

I don't know what language the press conference was held in, Italian and/or English, and how familiar the Italian officials are with all the nuances of English, and the same goes for the journalists' knowledge of Italian. Even small language barriers can cause misunderstandings.

I don't know what language the press conference was held in, Italian and/or English, and how familiar the Italian officials are with all the nuances of English, and the same goes for the journalists' knowledge of Italian. Even small language barriers can cause misunderstandings.

I think it was held in Italian only, because this article cites BBC translation.

" Ambrogio Cartosio, the head of the prosecutor’s office in Termini Imerese, said in a press conference at the town’s court on Saturday..... according to a BBC translation"

Last edited:
I think it was held in Italian, because this article cites BBC translation.

" Ambrogio Cartosio, the head of the prosecutor’s office in Termini Imerese, said in a press conference at the town’s court on Saturday..... according to a BBC translation"

They are in Italy so they speak Italian.

The question is, does the "found in compartment" where the other five was found mean that all were found in one cabin, in some other area, or that the couples were in their cabins, and ML were in one of those cabins too? Or could the bodies have floated into the same 'compartment' as the left side of the yacht was "up"?
RSBM
I have the same question, @Rikissa.

Having deeply sleuthed a case on WS that involved finding a body in a submerged car, dead bodies under water can move, and perhaps unpredictably.

So it makes me wonder, given the description of how the 5 guests were found together in one cabin confined by furniture and debris, as reported by a diver, if the 5 floated there post mortem as the yacht sank, given the myriad of currents and pressure changes that must have occurred. HL on the other hand may have been in her cabin behind a closed door and thus stayed there.

IOW, I caution against assuming the 5 found together were seeking the final air pocket in an attempt to survive. Especially if there was no power (and presumably no light), as has been reported (by 3:56am), and their close proximity to a (sideways) staircase that might have provided an escape if they were alive. For all we know, they could have drowned in their cabins or in the hallways while trying to escape or wake others and then floated to where they were found, along with furniture, like a debris field in a flood, if you may.

All IMO.
Edited to refine points.

Last edited:

This is the extent of coverage that I have seen regarding her statements.

My guess is that HL was staying in the first cabin on the left after the master suit (her parents' cabin), as it seems to be a smaller cabin compared to the others (see post #191). As far as I've seen we don't know in which cabins the other guests were staying, on the left or the right side, and whether they were found in their own cabin/s or not. The young couple with the baby was above deck, perhaps also the other younger couple was there too. Or their cabin had been next to the stairs, and they had easy access/easy to find the stairs in darkness.

This article explains that the five (excluding Hannah) weren't in their own cabins.

(from post #134 above)

"It comes as Italian media reported that the victims were found on the opposite side of the yacht from their cabins, suggesting they may have been trying to escape the incoming water.

‘We found them all on that side . . . we had maps with the layout of the cabins and the positions of the guests, and that’s not where we recovered them,’ a source said."

Italian authorities issue update on search for missing Hannah Lynch

Last edited:
That would mean her mum escaped and her dad tried to escape, without either of them trying to wake her up? I am not sure about this.
I know it seems odd, but that does seem to be what the evidence is suggesting. Perhaps everything happened so quickly that there wasn't time. We know Angela Bacares had to walk over broken glass to get out, which isn't something you're going to do if there's any alternative, so perhaps she only just made it out herself.

7h ago
15.54 BST

Closing summary

Prosecutors said they had opened an initial investigation into manslaughter and negligent shipwreck

Ambrogio Cartosio, public prosecutor in the Sicilian town of Termini Imerese, said he believed it was “probable that offences were committed”

The coastguard’s Rear Admiral Raffaele Macauda said the weather on the night of the sinking was “abnormal” but that there “wasn’t anything to suggest there could be an extreme situation arising”

The yacht rolled onto its right side as it sank, and six of the seven bodies recovered were found in cabins on its left, officials said

Prosecutors also said the incident happened “really, really suddenly” and that it was possible the ship was hit by a downburst, a powerful gush of wind that descends from a thunderstorm and spreads out quickly from its area of impact

Downbursts are better known for being a problem for aviation, as they create strong wind shear, which can be deadly for aircraft.

I know it seems odd, but that does seem to be what the evidence is suggesting. Perhaps everything happened so quickly that there wasn't time. We know Angela Bacares had to walk over broken glass to get out, which isn't something you're going to do if there's any alternative, so perhaps she only just made it out herself.
honestly having 2 teenagers aged 18 and 19, the sound cancelling headphones come to mind in a strong way.
They can’t hear us.

honestly having 2 teenagers aged 18 and 19, the sound cancelling headphones come to mind in a strong way.
They can’t hear us.
Maybe. Another possibility: Her mom said she went up on the deck to find out what was going on, she may have been able to traverse stairs that shortly thereafter became impassible. MOOO.

There are a few important rules to keep you safe on water:

- Never stay below deck in case of weather deterioration

- Be sure to check the weather forecast and watch the sky

- Moor in places sheltered from the wind

- Thoroughly check the equipment

- Everyone on board should learn what to do in the event of serious trouble
(to avoid the likelihood of panic on board)

- Before setting off,
everyone should know where the life-saving equipment and first aid kit are located and
who is responsible for safety on the yacht

- If the wind is above 3 on the Beaufort scale,
then life jackets should be worn.
On small and unstable yachts, it is recommended to wear life jackets regardless of the wind force.

These are rules my Dad (an avid sailor) taught me when I was a teen.

I never liked sailing :(
But...
I loved singing Sea Shanties

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member