Italy - Sailing yacht sank off Italian coast, 15 rescued, 7 missing, 19 August 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Wiki is saying that because that is what is stated in the spec provided by Superyacht Times. All of Wiki's statements are clearly referenced.

The "forward" cockpit would be the one in the centre. Sailing yachts traditionally (and usually) are steered from the rear of the yacht, so Bayesian also has a cockpit at the rear.

I personally believe that the Captain's bunk is with the crew, in the crew quarters. It is the owner's quarters that are in the middle of the yacht. On many vessels the Captain is the owner, but not on this one, not on this trip.

The deck layout presents a very tasteful innovation, coming from the earlier Liberty 52-metre ketch: a 60m2 fore cockpit, in addition to the traditional aft cockpit.
Thank you for explaining that "forward" in this case does not mean aft, I didn't realise!
It just means forward of rear/stern relative to the placement of the cockpit.
That is very helpful - as a non-mariner I didn't realise.

But there was an opinion above that the captain's bunk was center placed alongside a center cockpit, and that's what I cannot find anywhere, neither the links you shared nor the links I posted previously which show the crew quarters aft.

And yes, as I mentioned earlier, I agree it's the owner's cabin that appears to be in front of the engine room, towards the center. Not the captain's cabin. Since as we mentioned earlier, the captain is not the same as the owner on this voyage. Pasting again the photo below of the plan of the lower deck.

Now, it is possible that there is a captain's cabin towards the center of the ship, near the forward (center cockpit), perhaps on a different deck who knows, but that it is not indicated on the plans. Why could that be? Either because for security/privacy reasons they don't show the position of the captain's cabin, or because it was added in modifications made after the plans we have access to were drawn.

I say that because if you look at the yachtcharterfleet link below, there is a disclaimer as regards the plans in the event of possible subsequent modification the cabins. I am not saying they modified the yacht as regards the placement of the captain's cabin.

I personally don't think it's likely that there was a modification to the plan - it is possible and I want to allow space for the possible. But not likely.

So I am trying to figure out where the captain slept. Where exactly he was woken.

I agree with you that most likely, the captain slept in the Crew Accommodations.

Have you all looked at the number of crew beds?

We know there were 10 crew on board. There appear to be in the Crew Accommodations section beds (if the plan is still up to date):
  • one double stern / behind the engine room (perhaps for the cook as someone above suggested) (max 2 people)
  • one double aft (max 2 people)
  • two bunks aft port (max 2 people)
  • two bunks aft starboard (max 2 people)
  • two bunks with what looks like a 3rd Murphy bed type dropdown (max 3 people)
So of the crew accommodation indicated on the diagrams (leaving aside that perhaps there is a captain's cabin not indicated not he plans), we have 9 beds with capacity for 11 crew, and we know there were 10 crew aboard.

Assuming someone used the Murphy bed bunk bed, I'm guessing the cabin had the only aft double to himself.

So in that scenario, he was aft.

The reason this is important is because it seems that the humans in the stern and center of the boat were more at risk for dying (if the cook had the stern/rear double). Mike, Hannah for example.Angela made it out but she had already left that area. ALL of the other crew who were aft and also from Matthew's account on deck, out of their rooms, survived.

All my musings.

Thanks to all -

"NOTE to U.S. Customs & Border Protection
Disclaimer...The luxury sail yacht Bayesian is displayed on this page merely fo The yacht particulars displayed in the results above are displayed in good faith and whilst believed to be correct are not guaranteed, please check with your yacht charter broker. Trident Media Ltd does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information and/or images displayed as they may not be current. "

1725351301586.png

I agree with you that most likely, the captain slept in the Crew Accommodations.

Have you all looked at the number of crew beds?

We know there were 10 crew on board. There appear to be in the Crew Accommodations section beds (if the plan is still up to date):
  • one double stern / behind the engine room (perhaps for the cook as someone above suggested) (max 2 people)
  • one double aft (max 2 people)
  • two bunks aft port (max 2 people)
  • two bunks aft starboard (max 2 people)
  • two bunks with what looks like a 3rd Murphy bed type dropdown (max 3 people)
So of the crew accommodation indicated on the diagrams (leaving aside that perhaps there is a captain's cabin not indicated not he plans), we have 9 beds with capacity for 11 crew, and we know there were 10 crew aboard.

Assuming someone used the Murphy bed bunk bed, I'm guessing the cabin had the only aft double to himself.

So in that scenario, he was aft.

I think the main crew accommodation is in what's called the forward, at the bow.
The aft is at the stern, the rear of the boat.

From what I can see, the main crew accommodation is partially segmented into rooms/cabins. I think there could be walls there, and maybe several toilets. A kitchen with a table. Likely that the captain had one of the crew cabins that was his alone, or perhaps shared with the first officer or another crew member.

Unless the captain opted to sleep at the stern, below the aft cockpit. IDK

a.jpg

imo

I think the main crew accommodation is in what's called the forward, at the bow.
The aft is at the stern, the rear of the boat.

From what I can see, the main crew accommodation is partially segmented into rooms/cabins. I think there could be walls there, and maybe several toilets. A kitchen with a table. Likely that the captain had one of the crew cabins that was his alone, or perhaps shared with the first officer or another crew member.

Unless the captain opted to sleep at the stern, below the aft cockpit. IDK

View attachment 528762

imo
Yes! Apologies!!!! I should not use these words!
I meant crew accomodati one were in the front part, the bow.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nat Dru
Back