Italy - Sailing yacht sank off Italian coast, 15 rescued, 7 missing, 19 August 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The passengers might have been drinking but the crew shouldn't have been. It would have been in breach of the international convention which sets the rules for seafarers. Bayesian was a British flagged boat, so the British version of the rules is here. The level of alcohol in the breath is actually 10 microgrammes less than the UK drink drive limit. Basically, one drink will put you over.

It won’t have been under British maritime law as wasn’t the Bayesian registered elsewhere?
ETA: just looked as I couldn’t remember it was indeed registered in the UK, so under British maritime law.

It won’t have been under British maritime law as wasn’t the Bayesian registered elsewhere?
ETA: just looked as I couldn’t remember it was indeed registered in the UK, so under British maritime law.
The law only applies after doing a deep dive if the ship/yacht/boat is being driven, not if docked/ parked somewhere- then only the people on watch should be under the alcohol level, whilst on watch. The captain can be found ,if drunk, that the alcohol was an aggravating factor if an accident occurs. But as none of the crew were tested it’s never going to be relevant in this case, although the knowledge of how drunk the passengers were and how well the crew reacted due to that will be a factor that is considered I’m sure. If the yacht was registered in Italy- none of that applies as you and the crew are allowed to drink on yachts- a little loophole in their laws

The law only applies after doing a deep dive if the ship/yacht/boat is being driven, not if docked/ parked somewhere- then only the people on watch should be under the alcohol level, whilst on watch. The captain can be found ,if drunk, that the alcohol was an aggravating factor if an accident occurs. But as none of the crew were tested it’s never going to be relevant in this case, although the knowledge of how drunk the passengers were and how well the crew reacted due to that will be a factor that is considered I’m sure. If the yacht was registered in Italy- none of that applies as you and the crew are allowed to drink on yachts- a little loophole in their laws
To quote from the Marine Guidance Note - "It is an offence for a professional seafarer to be impaired by drink (or drugs) whilst on duty on board a ship or at any time on board a vessel if they might be required to undertake emergency duties to protect the safety of passengers."

Though given that the Italian authorities didn't test the crew for drink and drugs, if any of them were on the sauce they got away with it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mel M
Back