James Kolar's New Book Will Blow the Lid off the JonBenet Ramsey Investigation

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I just finished reading "the" book last night! It took me two days to read it. I was a little disappointed that Kolar did not include his entire theory in a sequence of events. When this murder first took place, I read everything I could find on it. I went from thinking that the Ramsey's did it, to Burke possibly did it, to falling in the same trap that many Americans did and believed the lie that the Ramsey's were selling. Particularly after hearing Alex Hunter, Smit, and Mary Lacy all state that the Ramsey's were innocent. It wasn't until the 20th anniversary of Jon Benet's death that I regained interest - when I began watching documentaries. I believe after reading Foreign Faction that BR did it and JR and PR staged the crime scene. The only thing I have trouble with is the garrote and how that fits in. I just am not sure a 9 year old could have known how to make a garrote. I am puzzled also by Kolar's statement that the garrote is not part of the staging, but motive? I am going to sit down and put my own time line together and see if I can figure this out. Please comment if any of you would like to help me understand what may have happened! I haven't read any of the other crime books regarding this case. Are there any that would be worth my time?

I agree with TeaTime, Steve Thomas's book is essential. The Ramseys' book Death of Innocence is pretty annoying and crappy but it's full of inconsistencies and bizarre statements so it's kind of fascinating. I haven't finished it, I can only take it in small doses. Another book I haven't finished (2/3rds in) is Lawrence Schiller's Perfect Murder Perfect Town. It's pretty dry and there have been critiques of it being inaccurate (and at this point, out of date) but it does have a lot of background detail about the case not included in Thomas or Kolar's books.
I really liked the recent eBook Listen Carefully by True Crime Detectives Guild, it's a great overview of the case. But it doesn't contain anything that you couldn't learn for free researching online and reading old FFJ threads. Basically, I'd say read Steve Thomas's book for sure and take your pick of the rest based on what you want to learn more about - the Ramseys' psyches (DOI), background detail (PMPT), or continued analysis of the Ramseys' inconsistencies in the same vein as Kolar and ST (LC).

The first clue about this case is the date. Christmas night is a very unlikely date for an intruder to select for a home invasion/kidnapping/killing/molestation. The risk of extra family members being around or the family being away altogether is much higher around Christmas. Families also often stay up later on these nights, playing with toys or having people over for drinks, etc. From the intruder's behavior, we know they had no fear of being caught, which is another clue. What luck that the Ramseys conveniently returned and went to bed for this patiently waiting intruder! Also, how lucky was this intruder that the Ramseys dog wasn't staying with them that night?

Thanks Kanzz for the clarification regarding the garrote. I was confused about what was meant by the Kolar statement. I understand now. Intent to kill - not cover up! It is hard for me to understand how someone as young as BR could do this, but I did some pretty mean things myself as a child. Not to this level of course, but sibling jealousy is a powerful force. Particularly if the parents aren't keeping it in check.

Thanks Kanzz for the clarification regarding the garrote. I was confused about what was meant by the Kolar statement. I understand now. Intent to kill - not cover up! It is hard for me to understand how someone as young as BR could do this, but I did some pretty mean things myself as a child. Not to this level of course, but sibling jealousy is a powerful force. Particularly if the parents aren't keeping it in check.

Especially when the parents don't set boundaries.

Some of us believe the ligatures were used to kill. Then it's possible PR later came upon the scene and messed with them and slipped in the paintbrush bit as part of staging. Therefore, would explain her fibers.

evilgenius - read Steve Thomas' book, Schiller's book and the one the Ramseys wrote.

I would not recommend the Ramseys' book - it is too self serving and is full of lies. They tell the story the way they want us to think it happened. And the Ramseys are rich enough already without any of us adding to their coffers.

Imo.

The first clue about this case is the date. Christmas night is a very unlikely date for an intruder to select for a home invasion/kidnapping/killing/molestation. The risk of extra family members being around or the family being away altogether is much higher around Christmas. Families also often stay up later on these nights, playing with toys or having people over for drinks, etc. From the intruder's behavior, we know they had no fear of being caught, which is another clue. What luck that the Ramseys conveniently returned and went to bed for this patiently waiting intruder! Also, how lucky was this intruder that the Ramseys dog wasn't staying with them that night?

However, it was a piece of hellish bad luck for the Ramseys that the kidnapper's writing matched Patsy's own handwriting, almost exactly. Lol.

Just want to say what many of you are probably also thinking. The $750mil lawsuit against CBS et al (including Kolar) will probably stall the new Kolar book indefinitely. Disappointing.

Just want to say what many of you are probably also thinking. The $750mil lawsuit against CBS et al (including Kolar) will probably stall the new Kolar book indefinitely. Disappointing.

kanzz,
Only if CBS settle. Otherwise its Christmas for all those named in the case.

Kolar will likely sell the rights to his book whatever. I am aware of a consortium who want to do, whats preemptively called, JonBenet The Movie, that's a project title.

With the script based on Kolar's book, an ex-detective as a consultant, some serious actors along with an Agatha Christie genre to underline the plot, but with a 21st Century USA conclusion.

If you do not hear from Kolar, that will be because he has retired to Hollywood!

BBM
We've wrestled with this quite a bit. It wouldn't take any real know-how to create this crudely made slip-knot ligature, imo. It wouldn't have even required the paintbrush as a handle, and that part might or might not have been added later.
attachment.php

RE: Kolar's statement - "I don’t believe the strangulation with the cord was a part of staging, and its use constituted an underlying part of the motivation involved in the assault on JBR." Simply put, I think this just means the motive for the strangulation was to kill, not to stage anything.

Staging is defined as ". . . the purposeful alteration of a crime scene." "There are two reasons why someone employs staging: to redirect the investigation away from the most logical suspect or to protect the victim or to protect the victim's family."
source: Crime Scene Staging: The FBI, and the Wrongful Death Expert Witness

For 20 years, some people have been saying the strangulation was part of the staging. Kolar says it was not. Some of us agree with Kolar.

kanzz,
Yes, Kolar must have a good reason to suggest that the strangulation and ligature was not staging.

Although I interpret this as Kolar saying Burke Ramsey ligature asphyxiated JonBenet, and that Patsy added the knotting and piece of paintbrush.

if not, then I need some kind evidence from Kolar to backup his theory and something to allow me to discount both parents forensic profiles left on JonBenet.

If the case is truly BDI All, then it exceeds my comprehension entirely.

kanzz,
Yes, Kolar must have a good reason to suggest that the strangulation and ligature was not staging.

Although I interpret this as Kolar saying Burke Ramsey ligature asphyxiated JonBenet, and that Patsy added the knotting and piece of paintbrush.

if not, then I need some kind evidence from Kolar to backup his theory and something to allow me to discount both parents forensic profiles left on JonBenet.

If the case is truly BDI All, then it exceeds my comprehension entirely.
UKGuy - imo, Kolar is only addressing the strangulation itself, rather than the device. I don't follow that Kolar is saying "Patsy added the knotting and piece of paintbrush", but I wouldn't discount the possibility that it happened, either. I just don't think he is saying anything about the paintbrush one way or another.

UKGuy - imo, Kolar is only addressing the strangulation itself, rather than the device. I don't follow that Kolar is saying "Patsy added the knotting and piece of paintbrush", but I wouldn't discount the possibility that it happened, either. I just don't think he is saying anything about the paintbrush one way or another.

kanzz,
I'm not saying Kolar includes the device in his BDI All, just that alike Coroner Meyer its not addressed, that should get the red flags flying?

Wink Wink, Nudge, Nudge, Tweak The Ear, etc.

kanzz,
I'm not saying Kolar includes the device in his BDI All, just that alike Coroner Meyer its not addressed, that should get the red flags flying?

Wink Wink, Nudge, Nudge, Tweak The Ear, etc.

Ah - gotcha! :wink:

He didn't see her because she wasn't there. For Pete's sake, she was right there and wrapped up in a white blanket on a dark floor when finally "found", FW isn't an idiot. He knows what he saw and most importantly, what he didn't see.

All that nonsense about lighting and blah, blah, blah is ridiculous and Ramsey spin to try to confuse him on his own memory.

This just occurred to me, but what about the smell? And I'm not talking about early decay as had been discussed earlier. Both her clothing and the carpet immediately outside the cellar door had fairly significant and somewhat fresh urine stains. Maybe Fleet White doesn't have a great sense of smell, but the officer that searched didn't note it either. Did the whole basement smell bad enough that the urine didn't stand out? Or maybe Fleet did smell it, but dismissed it knowing they (sort of) had a dog.

This just occurred to me, but what about the smell? And I'm not talking about early decay as had been discussed earlier. Both her clothing and the carpet immediately outside the cellar door had fairly significant and somewhat fresh urine stains. Maybe Fleet White doesn't have a great sense of smell, but the officer that searched didn't note it either. Did the whole basement smell bad enough that the urine didn't stand out? Or maybe Fleet did smell it, but dismissed it knowing they (sort of) had a dog.

Poor little Jacques - he wasn't to blame. He wasn't even there. Patsy had given him away to the Barnhills because he used to occasionally pee in the house. That's the official story. I can't help wondering if BR was unkind to animals and the decision was made to give the pooch away.

It wouldn't surprise me if the basement smelled bad. Didn't BR have a habit of smearing faeces about?

Stanky ole musty, smelly basement. And, iirc, somebody had a bad habit of not flushing the toilet. It was probably difficult to differentiate one stink from another down there in all that mess.

Stanky ole musty, smelly basement. And, iirc, somebody had a bad habit of not flushing the toilet. It was probably difficult to differentiate one stink from another down there in all that mess.

I've noticed that the male species don't like flushing toilets, even when they pee. There's no excuse for not flushing because they're facing the toilet anyway. I wonder if it's some subconscious primeval desire to have their own (animal) smell around the house?

Yeah, the odds of a random intruder sharing several handwriting characteristics with the mother of the decedent (or any member of the household) is improbably small.

I've noticed that the male species don't like flushing toilets, even when they pee. There's no excuse for not flushing because they're facing the toilet anyway. I wonder if it's some subconscious primeval desire to have their own (animal) smell around the house?
Oh, I don't have a problem with the whole Meet the Fockers thing - If it's yellow, let it mellow; if it's brown, flush it down - because it's all about water conservation. But let's not let it stand overnight! And according to PR, it did. In keeping with the R way, she tried to blame the other kid. Of course she did.

14 TRIP DEMUTH: What do you mean that they had
15 not flushed that toilet, what do you mean by that?
16 PATSY RAMSEY: Well, I think someone had gone
17 to the potty and hadn't flushed it. It was there for
18 several days.
source: http://www.acandyrose.com/1998BPD-Patsy-Interview-Complete.htm

[video=youtube;_IbCHgJjZ60]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IbCHgJjZ60[/video]

Yes, even tidy basements that get a good amount of sunlight have their dark and dank areas. I can only imagine what that placed smelled like. Besides, Fleet was probably concentrating on dodging debris so as not to break an ankle or two.

However, it was a piece of hellish bad luck for the Ramseys that the kidnapper's writing matched Patsy's own handwriting, almost exactly. Lol.

And having an intruder kind enough after taking your daughter quietly from her bedroom, then feed her pineapple before killing her. What was it that Nedra Paugh said? Jonbenet would scream her lungs out if taken?

Also, Jacques was the second dog. The first dying IIRC and was replaced. I wonder if Burke could of killed him?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro
Back