Japan: 9.0 Earthquake-Tsunami-Nuclear Reactor Status #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ack, back from a complete computer crash... :( Thanks for all the updating.

I would also like to add that many journalists have high tailed it out of the country. I suspect that US news organizations don't wish to risk possible radiation exposure for their reporters and crew.

There seems to have been alot of big news going on in this world lately. MOO

wm

I would also like to add that many journalists have high tailed it out of the country. I suspect that US news organizations don't wish to risk possible radiation exposure for their reporters and crew.

There seems to have been alot of big news going on in this world lately. MOO

wm

I agree that there seems to have been a lot of big news stories lately about odd and extreme events. Speaking of which, does anyone here know much about the Large Hadron Collider in Geneva that is being used to look for a theoretical physics particle called the "Higgs Boson", or "God Particle"??? If you google 'Hadron Collider Earthquakes', you get some interesting discussions about previous use of the device and significant earthquakes. The small, but numerous and consistent earthquakes are still happening in Arkansas also.... Very strange.....

I agree that there seems to have been a lot of big news stories lately about odd and extreme events. Speaking of which, does anyone here know much about the Large Hadron Collider in Geneva that is being used to look for a theoretical physics particle called the "Higgs Boson", or "God Particle"??? If you google 'Hadron Collider Earthquakes', you get some interesting discussions about previous use of the device and significant earthquakes. The small, but numerous and consistent earthquakes are still happening in Arkansas also.... Very strange.....

last i heard about that thing something on it/in it broke and they said it could take months/years to fix it....

That thing creating black holes that could eat us all is right up there with radiation that could kill us all as some of the scariest things in the world... to me anyway LOL

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/daily/english/24_h29.html

Pressure rises inside No.1 reactor container

Tokyo Electric Power Company is taking measures to reduce pressure inside the No.1 reactor containment vessel at the troubled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant.The power company began injecting more water into the No.1 reactor on Wednesday, after temperatures on the reactor surface reached about 400 degrees Celsius, exceeding the safety limit of 302 degrees. Read More at above link

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/daily/english/24_41.html

2 nuclear plant workers hospitalized

Japan's nuclear safety agency says 2 workers at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant were taken to hospital on Thursday after being exposed to high-level radiation at the Number 3 reactor. The Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency says the workers were standing on a flooded basement floor while working to reconnect power lines in the turbine building adjacent to the reactor. As a result, their feet were exposed to 170 to 180 millisieverts of radiation. The workers were taken to a local hospital before being moved to the National Institute of Radiological Sciences for treatment. A third worker was also exposed to the higher-level radiation but apparently did not require treatment. The maximum level of radiation exposure allowed for nuclear plant workers in Japan is normally 100 millisieverts. But the health and labor ministry has recently raised that limit to 250 millisieverts for emergency crews at the Fukushima plant.

Does anyone else find it very odd this is not REALLY being covered here in the media to the extend I feel it should be?

Are Americans really that stupid to not care because it's "over there"? Ignorance is bliss? :waitasec: Do we really have the attention span of a gnat and prefer "news" about Jersey Shore and Lindsy Lohan?

I'm sad about the fact that most of the coverage about Japan in the past week or so has been about how it affect the US. I guess that is what we care about most. While the people over there are in all kinds of real danger and tragedy is everywhere, over here the concern, at least in the media, is what might happen here.

Does anyone else find it very odd this is not REALLY being covered here in the media to the extend I feel it should be?

Are Americans really that stupid to not care because it's "over there"? Ignorance is bliss? :waitasec: Do we really have the attention span of a gnat and prefer "news" about Jersey Shore and Lindsy Lohan?

Yes and Yes....Americans are vapid and have short attention spans. Give it another week and no one will care about libya either.

last i heard about that thing something on it/in it broke and they said it could take months/years to fix it....

That thing creating black holes that could eat us all is right up there with radiation that could kill us all as some of the scariest things in the world... to me anyway LOL

They broke it? LOL

Sorry but after living this week in particular with a house full of teens~ I can only wonder if whoever broke it knows my kids? LOL. Or it was "wasn't me" that lives here.

Interesting topic, I'll have to look that up and the earthquake thing too. (thanks reannan :))

Reveal fallout data: ex-nuke chief
Evacuees must know radiation exposure risks, expert says

Excerpt:
SPEEDI — short for System for Prediction of Environmental Emergency Dose Information — is the same system the NSC used to make its risk calculations. It divides the nation into a fine geographic grid of 250 × 250-meter squares to predict how radioactive substances spread.

He said the government should use SPEEDI to tell the public: 1) what the geographical distribution of nuclear substances released by Fukushima No. 1 has been, along with the radiation levels. 2) what the distribution of radioactive substances and radiation levels might be if the situation there gets further out of hand.

Tanaka said making this data public will help the public realize the need to evacuate.

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nn20110325f2.html

:noooo::panic:

My personal almost worst fear.

Fear is irrational I know this because my number one worst fear is really silly by comparison.

#1 fear is bungie cords in the road. I always think I may hit them just so and they will fly up and hook me in the eye.
Then Black Holes.

I don't think it was photo shopped, my guess is they worked around the clock with flood lights

Of its 108 pupils, 77 were buried, along with 10 teachers, when water surged over the top of their two-storey building and dumped tonnes of earth on the playground.
That was where the entire group was standing, having followed their well practised response to an earthquake, filing outside and waiting for the danger to pass.
There was a hill 50 yards away, where they would have been safe from a tsunami, but the teachers didn't think a wave could reach two miles inland.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...eceive-the-dead-bodies-of-their-children.html

This link was already posted last page. I'm just posting it again because it just about broke my heart it half. Not only do I feel so badly for parents that are digging through the mud with their bare hands, looking for something to bury, but what brought tears to my eyes was to think of the teachers. When the earthquake hit, they did exactly what they had drilled for, they headed for the playground. And that part went flawlessly. And all of them but one stayed there, because they didn't know the wave was coming, and to be honest, 30 feet of water 2 miles inland? They have a point, no one could have seen it coming, until it did. And I can only imagine the teacher's last moments when it did. My God, the guilt of those last few seconds. To really think they had done all they could, that they were safe and had gotten everyone out...and then the water came.
Although Mr. Endo likely suffers horrible survivor's guilt and feels that he did next to nothing, I hope he is able to get over that in some measure. He may have only saved one child that day, but in doing so, he saved some parents whole world. I give my thanks to him, but I don't blame the other teachers in the least.

I don't think it was photo shopped, my guess is they worked around the clock with flood lights

After the Northridge quake of 1994, when two major freeways collapsed in Los Angeles, crews repaired them ahead of schedule, in less than six months.

Six months isn't six days, but we're talking about elevated, multi-lane expressways in Southern California.

And I don't mean to take anything away from the Japanese. I'm just saying even American crews work faster when everyone agrees it's an emergency. (It also helped that the state negotiated contracts that paid the contractors more if they finished early, so they had no incentive to drag out the work.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Txwoman