Japan: 9.0 Earthquake-Tsunami-Nuclear Reactor Status #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The horror is continuing with a new story this morning....

Radiation in Water Rushing into Sea Tests Millions of Times Over Limit
Tokyo (CNN) -- Japanese utility and government authorities suffered fresh setbacks Tuesday with the detection of radiation in a fish and news that water gushing from the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant into the Pacific had radiation levels more than millions of times above the regulatory limit.

Leak at Fukushima appears to be lessening

The operator of the crisis-hit Fukushima nuclear plant has injected a hardening agent beneath a leaking concrete pit in a bid to stem the flow of highly radioactive water into the sea.

The firm says the leakage seems to be decreasing, following the infusion of the hardening agent.

The utility showed reporters a photo of the leak on Tuesday evening, saying it indicates such a decrease.

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/daily/english/05_h32.html

That's good at least. But there is the problem that glass is corroded by cesium, which is present in that water. What happens if their quick fix gets eaten right back through?

That's good at least. But there is the problem that glass is corroded by cesium, which is present in that water. What happens if their quick fix gets eaten right back through?

I don't know to be honest and I am certified in fiberglass. I don't think it will be eaten through but I do worry about it setting up and sticking to surfaces and what materials they're using. I'm not even sure it can set/harden in water. We were meticulous about not allowing water into manufacture or repair orders. Surface preparation was always extremely important while working with fiberglass.

Another thing, they have not mentioned fiberglass per say, the mention resin and glass in comments from various stories. My interest has been peaked since they mentioned they were going to use a resin on the ground around the plant itself. I began wondering if they were going to use a catalyst which is required for resin to harden. They are being vague with their resin/glass comments.

Well, our "nutty scientist" didn't carry his scenario out that far in time, but all that sounds possible.

He told us that the very point of using nuclear Energy is that it magnifies and increases the heat exponentially. His worst case scenario involved an out of control reaction creating a burst of unimaginable searing heat that would "obliterate all of Japan". When I asked if he meant that literally, he said yes. So I asked how large a radius that could include and he said several thousand miles because we have placed nuclear plants within such close range of each other.

That leaves me with huge questions about the impact of that much heat release into the planetary atmosphere. How would this affect the waters of the earth? Would we be able to grow food?

Of course, he could simply be a madman. I wish a nuclear expert would weigh in on this.

I have noticed in some of the mass media reports, they have said massive explosion is unlikely, which would technically be true if it is actually an enormous burst of unimaginable heat. I also noted one report did say "generation of heat in an uncontrolled process", haha, it just didn't say how MUCH heat and how FAR it would spread. Would reaaaally like to know those answers.

Well, Chernobyl exploded...sending the contents of it's core scattered over everywhere. So I think you have something to compare in that...and of course that is only 1 reactor. Personally, and I am no nuclear engineer nor did sleep at a Holiday Inn last night, but I think "they" have it pretty much in control...temperature wise by the constant influx of water. What bothers me is the constant release of contamination...be it how slowly (reportedly). That spraying and dumping water may have further damaged the rods in the fuel pools...so more contamination...let alone if the reactor itself has been breeched. Remember there are more rods in the fuel pools than the reactors themselves. I want to know more about neutron beams...and just what is going on there. Seems that one of the reactors doing this is still "reacting"....but how? I have concerns about the seepage in the soil...more so if a meltdown does occur. I know they said a wall of silt has been built be prevent contamination further into the ocean, but if you have seepage from underground...how is that helping....and why build the barrier of silt if your only going to dump thousands of tons of contaminated water into the ocean aftewards? ???? Even if they pump underground water out...there still is the remains in the ground itself and it's still in the process of decaying....radiating. Even if it's sealed and entombed. imo. ??

I don't know to be honest and I am certified in fiberglass. I don't think it will be eaten through but I do worry about it setting up and sticking to surfaces and what materials they're using. I'm not even sure it can set/harden in water. We were meticulous about not allowing water into manufacture or repair orders. Surface preparation was always extremely important while working with fiberglass.

Another thing, they have not mentioned fiberglass per say, the mention resin and glass in comments from various stories. My interest has been peaked since they mentioned they were going to use a resin on the ground around the plant itself. I began wondering if they were going to use a catalyst which is required for resin to harden. They are being vague with their resin/glass comments.

The demineralization process which can be used rather than the evaporation is done with ion exchange resins. I don't know what it contains, but boron would be one, I'd think. Dow site mentions TheStyrene-DVB, Gel. Here are a few links:

http://books.google.com/books?id=yu...&resnum=6&ved=0CDcQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

http://www.dowwaterandprocess.com/products/mixed.htm

Whatever happened to Danai? The other plant that was having problems as well? We heard about it for a couple weeks off and on and then nothing. Is it completely under control or just being overshadowed by the Diachi problems?

http://allthingsnuclear.org/post/4283747180/3-week-update-on-japans-nuclear-crisis#

Currently, all the reactors at Fukushima Daini have reached cold shutdown, meaning the water in the reactors is below boiling temperature and should remain that way as long as nothing disrupts the cooling. There have been no reported problems with the spent-fuel pools at this site.

I'm not familiar with this site. Has anyone else been here? Are they truthful?

As promised last night... I tried to scan so I could cut off the compnay name but it came out too dark due to the protruding pellet.

One nuclear fuel pellet (half inch by three quarters of an inch) is approximately equal to

1 ton of coal
3 barrels of oil (126 gallon)
17,000 cubic feet of natural gas
1 ton of wood

"Using pellets like this, a modern nuclear power plan can produce enough electricity for 765,000 homes and SAVE OUT NATION ALMOST 10 MILLION BARRELS OF OIL EACH YEAR."

The water issue makes no sense to me at all. If they continue to spray the reactors, there will be radioactive water that needs to be stored. At this point, I assume they intend to empty it all into the ocean-- perhaps, by way of their "storage", but still ending up in the Pacific. Millions of times higher than is safe, incalculable. :mad:

Here's my question: A few days ago, the figure was '7 tons per hour' of the highly radioactive water leaking. That's only 168 tons per day. So HOW did it get up to 60,000 in just a few days? My math says it should take about 357 days to accumulate 60,000. Anyone else think this math is way too fuzzy?

http://english.kyodonews.jp/news/2011/04/83291.html

A total of 60,000 tons of radioactive water is believed to be flooding the basement of reactor buildings and underground trenches connected to them at the crisis-hit Fukushima nuclear plant, the industry minister said Tuesday, adding that its operator will later remove the liquid obstructing recovery work.

In a new finding, TEPCO said Tuesday a seawater sample taken Saturday near the No. 2 reactor's water intake showed the iodine-131 concentration at 7.5 million times the maximum allowable level under law. To halt the flow of radioactive water, the operator injected ''water glass,'' or sodium silicate, shortly after 3 p.m. Tuesday into graveled areas beneath the pit's bottom, where radioactive water is believed to be seeping through.

Here's my question: A few days ago, the figure was '7 tons per hour' of the highly radioactive water leaking. That's only 168 tons per day. So HOW did it get up to 60,000 in just a few days? My math says it should take about 357 days to accumulate 60,000. Anyone else think this math is way too fuzzy?

http://english.kyodonews.jp/news/2011/04/83291.html

A total of 60,000 tons of radioactive water is believed to be flooding the basement of reactor buildings and underground trenches connected to them at the crisis-hit Fukushima nuclear plant, the industry minister said Tuesday, adding that its operator will later remove the liquid obstructing recovery work.

In a new finding, TEPCO said Tuesday a seawater sample taken Saturday near the No. 2 reactor's water intake showed the iodine-131 concentration at 7.5 million times the maximum allowable level under law. To halt the flow of radioactive water, the operator injected ''water glass,'' or sodium silicate, shortly after 3 p.m. Tuesday into graveled areas beneath the pit's bottom, where radioactive water is believed to be seeping through.

Maybe a discrepancy in how much is leaking and being stored and how much is leaking out?

Over the last few weeks we seem to come up with the same conclusions,either someone is lying or someone doesn't have a clue as to what to do. I fear its a combination of both.
This is uncharted territory. This so much reminds me of the oil spill,but with much deadlier consequences.

The demineralization process which can be used rather than the evaporation is done with ion exchange resins. I don't know what it contains, but boron would be one, I'd think. Dow site mentions TheStyrene-DVB, Gel. Here are a few links:

http://books.google.com/books?id=yu...&resnum=6&ved=0CDcQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

http://www.dowwaterandprocess.com/products/mixed.htm

Well some things I can tell, others things I have no idea. I know alot of resins used in pellet form are used for water purification. Water softner tanks(not all) use a resin pellet that attracts the hardness in water whichs needs released and flushed on timed cycles depending on the hardness in the water.

Another type of resin pellet is used to remove iron and sulphur from water, a type of demineralization if you will. So if someone has hardness and iron or sulphur, ideally they need two types of water conditioning equipment which has reusable resins. Neither of which could seal a leak they're trying to solve.

The absorbents maybe able to absorb 50 times their weight but then what?

Gels, well I'm just unclear here. I would think anything they used in the leak would need to set/harden or it would either wash away or not seal properly. on the other hand it's no telling what some chemist can come up with.

It's their terminology that leads me to believe they're using fiberglass but their wording is vague and not specific sooo JMO

Ooooh OT but distilled water which is extremely clean test around 5.2PH which is highly acidic for water. This led me to question the term acid rain, rain being virtually clean before it hits the ground and is acidic. (If I remember right)

Thanks, someone smarter than I is using this to plug the hole.

Properties: Sodium silicate is a white powder that is readily soluble in water, producing an alkaline solution. It is one of a number of related compounds which include sodium orthosilicate, Na4SiO4, sodium pyrosilicate, Na6Si2O7, and others. All are glassy, colourless and dissolve in water.

Sodium silicate is stable in neutral and alkaline solutions. In acidic solutions, the silicate ion reacts with hydrogen ions to form silicic acid, which when heated and roasted forms silica gel, a hard, glassy substance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_silicate#Properties

Have I told you people how brilliant you all are? I can't add much to the discussion as I'm scientifically handicapped and frankly don't understand alot of what you all are saying,but I'm amazed everyday,at how smart and knowledgable everyone here is.
Thank you!

The water issue makes no sense to me at all. If they continue to spray the reactors, there will be radioactive water that needs to be stored. At this point, I assume they intend to empty it all into the ocean-- perhaps, by way of their "storage", but still ending up in the Pacific. Millions of times higher than is safe, incalculable. :mad:

My understanding of what's happening is they are pumping less radioactive water from a waste treatment facility into the sea. Then they intend to fill up the waste treatment plant with the more radioactive water. FWIW

Have I told you people how brilliant you all are? I can't add much to the discussion as I'm scientifically handicapped and frankly don't understand alot of what you all are saying,but I'm amazed everyday,at how smart and knowledgable everyone here is.
Thank you!

I understand only a small percentage of what I read in the articles. That's why I usually just post a link and a tidbit, then wait for someone more knowledgeable to weigh in.

A plan to cover damaged reactor buildings at the crisis-hit Fukushima nuclear plant with special sheets to halt radiation leakage cannot offer a quick remedy, as the sheeting will be installed in September at the earliest due to high-level radioactivity hampering work at the site, government sources said Tuesday.

They said workers need to wait until radiation levels drop at the site, where hydrogen explosions have blown away the roofs and upper walls of three reactor buildings.

Some nuclear experts have been skeptical about the feasibility of the plan as they believe the step would have only limited effects in blocking the release of radioactive substances into the environment.

In a meeting Tuesday of a team tasked with halting the leakage of radioactive substances from the plant under a task force set up by the government and the operator known as TEPCO, the construction firm gave prospects for the work schedule, the sources said.

http://english.kyodonews.jp/news/2011/04/83374.html

September before they can even get the shields up...What do they plan to do until then?

This worries me because even the scientists that are subscribing to the "everyone remain calm" theories, are saying that the only risk is if the leakage continues long term. Do they consider September at a minimum to be long term?

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/173273.html

India has banned the import of the Japanese food over fear of radiation contamination following the malfunctioning of the country's tsunami-hit Fukushima power plant.

According to a statement released by the Indian Health Ministry, the country, which has begun testing the Japanese foods shortly after the March 11 disaster, will ban the import of these products for three months, or until research proves their safety, AP reported.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member