Japan - Miyazawa family of 4 murdered, Setagaya, Tokyo, 30 Dec 2000 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Am I misremembering or was it said that the killer had injuries on both hands? I seem to remember Faceless saying that both of the gloves were torn up with blood inside? Possible I’m mistaken here though…

As for using the pads to dress a wound or wounds, my gut here is still that the killer knew how to do this beforehand by some kind of training or was taught how to do it by someone military or medical.

Besides DNA profiling and testing I don’t know what the TMPD or Japan can do further to find this guy if he is in the country… he has eluded authorities for 23 years, 260,000 officers, 16,000 pieces of evidence, 1,000,000+ fingerprinted, fingerprints registered with interpol, a ¥20,000,000 reward for capture, successfully and single-handedly abolished the statute of limitations for the entire country. And yet there is nothing. With officers still assigned to the case… nothing. The sheer man-power the country has put into finding this one man in Japan and they can’t even get close…

All I can really conclude here is that he isn’t Japanese and isn’t in Japan. He left. They haven’t got a DNA profile and, to my knowledge, haven’t widened the search out of the country. I seriously think he left Japan and is out there somewhere else.
There are of course other cases out there that are unsolved but the effort for this one is 100 times more in my opinion…

Japan has spent 23 years looking in its own country and turned up nothing. Look somewhere else!!
16,000 pieces of evidence is a LOT different from 16,000 pieces of info received from the public.

Japan is a country that prides itself on its work ethic but does not actually get much done. They may work long hours and there may lots of employees, but overall productivity is quite low.

1721816218624.png
I remember going to Japan and sometimes seeing banks, businesses, etc with 3 employees doing one task when in America 1 employee would be assigned that task.

Also, there have been plenty of cases in Japan where a criminal/killer has eluded police/investigative services for decades.

Here’s an example:

A criminal, especially one that’s not been identified like our prep, can honestly just move to and live in a more remote area such as Shikoku or some part of Hokkaido. They would be able to live normally in Japan without being outed.

Last edited:
16,000 pieces of evidence is a LOT different from 16,000 pieces of info received from the public.

Japan is a country that prides itself on its work ethic but does not actually get much done. They may work long hours and there may lots of employees, but overall productivity is quite low.

View attachment 520178
I remember going to Japan and sometimes seeing banks, businesses, etc with 3 employees doing one task when in America 1 employee would be assigned that task.

Also, there have been plenty of cases in Japan where a criminal/killer has eluded police/investigative services for decades.

Here’s an example:

So are you saying the TMPD and Japan hasn’t done enough then? Are they lazy? What else would you do for a search in the country that they haven’t done?

And I repeat: why not look elsewhere and ask for help internationally? What’s the worst that could happen, they actually find him?

As for your Hokkaido and Shikoku point, are we now imagining a teenager has run away from home and moved off to some village of 1000 people in the northernmost part of Hokkaido and is living selling fruit from a stand or something? What’s this young man supposed to do once he’s given up his entire life and moved to the outback?

Last edited:

View attachment 520178

Here’s an example:

A criminal, especially one that’s not been identified like our prep, can honestly just move to and live in a more remote area such as Shikoku or some part of Hokkaido. They would be able to live normally in Japan without being outed.
Mostly agreed. The fact that the killer hasn’t been caught shouldn’t be misconstrued to be evidence of him being a foreigner.

Mostly agreed. The fact that the killer hasn’t been caught shouldn’t be misconstrued to be evidence of him being a foreigner.
He could be Japanese, he could be a foreigner. One option has been explored for two decades and has yielded exactly nothing. How about the other?
Would you be against Japan expanding the search worldwide and seeking assistance due the limitations of the law in Japan?

He could be Japanese, he could be a foreigner. One option has been explored for two decades and has yielded exactly nothing. How about the other?
Would you be against Japan expanding the search worldwide and seeking assistance due the limitations of the law in Japan?
You can also turn it the other way around.

Obviously the TMPD know more about the case than we do. Yet they don’t know enough to pinpoint an exact country or make a decent case for the LE of that country.

So why are they not releasing more info to the public. That would be natural to ask for more people to come forward. Maybe someone one new will come forward. Its been over 20 yrs now, the killer if he is a foreigner, has already fled and is out of their grasp.

So why the hesitancy?

With every passing year, the amount of organic witnesses they can generate is diminishing. They are not making any significant efforts with international police (as far as we are aware of), not doing anything about the sand ( from what I assume from the Faceless podcast).

Them not solving this doesn’t mean this cannot be solved in any way, shape or form without introducing the foreign angle.

They could have been biased or incompetent at the start, and now its too late, despite best efforts to correct the tide.

Most of these cases are solved not by the LE being efficient, but by the killer messing or slipping up. If our killer didn’t slip up, then he wouldn’t be caught easily, whether he is Japanese or a foreigner.

Just to clarify, I am ambivalent on the killer’s origins. I just don’t want to misconstrue the TMPD not solving this as something of an evidence that the killer is a foreigner.

Hello, Thread. I hope all are doing well. I'm just checking in briefly to broadly cover a few things, though you'll forgive me if I am unlikely to reply to counterpoints any time soon. I write this from Madrid, which is currently sweltering in 41C [105F, for my American friends]. As such, please also forgive the inevitable typos:

Blood -- I'm no sort of expert on this front. But I can tell you it was enough for the professionals on scene to deem it a considerable amount he had lost. Either they're deluded, or the killer indeed lost a fair amount. In my view, this is not up for debate. This is not to say that every position the TMPD holds is sacred and cannot be questioned, I myself have been open about that. I just don't see how they could get something like that wrong. This is not the only murder they've ever worked. Or, put another way: where is the evidence for such an error? [Again, 2Chan / Listverse / a Wikipedia page honeycombed with dead links doesn't amount to solid evidence, in my view].

Injuries -- Now, as I understand it, the injuries were on his little finger and his wrist, both right hand. It's also very possible he cut his left hand too, I think he might have switched up throughout the attack. He also definitely beat Yasuko and Niina manually. I spent a fair amount of time discussing the injuries and there was no mention of choking or chokeholds. Also, for those thinking that 'there was not a huge amount of blood' on the scene. Based on what, exactly? Yasuko was left without a face. Her brain was emerging from her head. Sorry to be graphic but that's just how it was.

Monks -- I'm not sure where this idea has emerged from, I imagine from a user I've blocked. But I'm unsure of what it's based on? The killer may also have left via helicopter or UFO. Is there any evidence to contrary? I can tell you detectives checked all hotels and public accommodations very quickly after the bodies were discovered. Perhaps some users will choose to think this wouldn't include temples. Or the possibility of this slipped the collective mind of the TMPD. I have no issue in folks wanting to explore this monastic possibility. But for me, the sheer improbability, taken in conjunction with the national tendency to report suspicious behaviour, means this theory isn't worth losing a lot of time over. JMO.

Japan / TMPD -- I'm not sure what correlation there is between work productivity and the killer not being found. Or are we simply bringing into question the effort of the TMPD? For one thing, WS is LE-friendly. For another, I have seen first-hand how hard they have worked this case. I appreciate many of us here have our own anecdotal experiences of Japan and it will colour our opinions accordingly. Forgive me if I've misconceived the premise of OP. But if I arbitrarily pointed out that the entry requirements to become a police officer in, say, Boulder CO, are far, far lower than in Tokyo and, as such, then implied that's why JonBenet Ramsey's case remains unsolved; I'm not sure how fair that would be.

RE: the Miyazawas, the Chief of Police himself came down to the scene, declared the crime as heinous, and demanded his detectives find the culprit. I have read extensive studies on the contours of police integrity before ever making my podcast. I have dealt with the TMPD in different ways, including professionally. For anyone wondering if that action from the Chief was normal, I can save you the time. It was not. This is not just another case to them. Now, as I've said many times, I'm more than happy to brook differing views, moreover I'm grateful that you guys are here in the first place. But what I view as perhaps unfair or misguided, is the idea that the TMPD have not done as much as they can to find the killer. Yes, there are differences in customs / sociopolitical norms. Yes, there are different laws surrounding DNA. I still do not think that the premise that the Japanese do 'not get much done' can reasonably be applied in this case.

Multiple Assailants / The Killer In the Park -- RE: there being more than one culprit. The possibility of a getaway driver or a lookout, I cannot discount. I can only say that within the house, there is absolutely zero evidence of a second man. Unless he's capable of levitation and wrapped in cling film, there was only one male intruder that night. If anyone has them, though, I'm happy to view any compelling ideas to the contrary.

As for the killer in the park, skating or torturing animals. On the latter, I can only repeat that the culprit for this was apprehended and convicted. The boy talking about a family murder on 2Chan in the days before the 30th of December was found and cleared. As for being a skateboarder, we've been over this ad nauseam for the last 2+ years. In short; it's possible, though there is no actual evidence for it (the grip tape is NOT substantiated by the TMPD). The killer wore tennis / squash shoes and both sports are accessible in the very nearby vicinity; I'm yet to hear why the killer could not have been there in the first instance to practice his forehand. On skating, I will add that I interviewed multiple skateboarders, both young and old. Several used Soshigaya Park in the 1990s and were very involved in the scene. They all said the same thing; it was frowned upon back then / associated with being a 'no good punk'. I accept the premise that walking around with a skateboard may have been a good disguise. Though, so too would it have attracted disproving glances. But again, we don't have anything solid that substantiates the use of a skateboard. What we do know is that he covered his face, wore a low-brimmed hat and a scarf. My argument would be that this was his disguise. Maybe a skateboard would have been the cherry on top. Maybe it would have been gilding the lily.

CCTV -- The quality was obviously nowhere near as defined back then but it was both legible and widespread. I recall reading an ivy league university study about the use of CCTV in Tokyo as a common deterrence really gaining traction in the years before/after our case. Nothing really to add here except that we know that the TMPD are still analysing video as they cleared a man within the last 1-2 years who bought the same knife just before the murders. So, while it likely will require modern-day techniques to elevate the quality, evidently that CCTV in the local area can be of material use.

The Killer's Nationality -- As I have many times, I do not say with certainty that the killer is non-Japanese. Only that I believe there is a chance. And I'm yet to see one single compelling reason why there is NO chance. Not one. While I understand probability, and while I understand other cases in Japan have gone unsolved for a long time, I do not understand how this somehow removes that possibility.

The fact the killer has not being caught is self-evidently and obviously not proof of him being a foreigner. Where do I say that it is? If I've given that impression, then I'm at fault for communicating poorly. Clearly, the killer's ongoing freedom is evidence, in and of itself, of nothing. Still, I fail to see why it is not worthwhile searching for him abroad. In the context of the time and effort already poured into this investigation across the past 24 years, who here can offer one single solid reason why the TMPD should not merely check with international counterparts? Who here can offer one single solid reason why talking to the local authorities near the USAF base in California is not worth a visit or a phone call. Even if you think the sand clue is BS, what's the harm in ruling it out? Yet when I went there myself, LE were mystified by this case, they'd never heard of it. Why is that? I asked for the names of colleagues around in the year 2000 who were now retired and spoke with them, too. I was assured of one thing by all; if the TMPD had asked us to look into something, we sure would have. And it was an open offer. My only point is, you gain more than you lose by simply checking. Continuing the search for a theoretically Japanese killer in Japan AND a for a foreign one abroad -- both can be done.

As ever, I thank you all for contributing to this thread.

Thailand. Somkid Pumpuang was a serial killer. During his time on the run, he disguised himself as a monk and sought refuge in a temple,
As a non Buddhist going out on a limb....

Different Asian countries have different forms of Buddhism and possibly different monastic traditions.

For Catholic monasteries, people interested in joining the monastery contact them. They are then scheduled for an interview and a "Come and See" weekend. These usually happen once or twice a year. If accepted, they are then permitted to attend a series of retreats of increasing length. Then, if accepted, they become a novice monk.

Getting to the point: In that monastic tradition, nobody just walks in , puts on a robe, and... then lays low for as long as they need to.

But the Thais may have another format....

Thailand and Burma have a tradition where every young male is expected to be a monk for a period of time. This could well lead to alot more monks of the temporary sort and alot more turn over. Thai temp monks also beg for a portion of the day. So, people coming and going. Likewise, if they follow the Buddha's wandering preacher concept, there could be even more turn over.

In the end, the key might be whether the Japanese monastic tradition mirrors the Catholic one, or the possible Thai one. If they mirror the Catholic one, I doubt the killer ran into one and then hid out. If the Japanese concept is Thai, then somebody walking in wearing a robe, staying for several weeks, then drifting off might be possible.

Last edited:
Hello, Thread. I hope all are doing well. I'm just checking in briefly to broadly cover a few things, though you'll forgive me if I am unlikely to reply to counterpoints any time soon. I write this from Madrid, which is currently sweltering in 41C [105F, for my American friends]. As such, please also forgive the inevitable typos:

Blood -- I'm no sort of expert on this front. But I can tell you it was enough for the professionals on scene to deem it a considerable amount he had lost. Either they're deluded, or the killer indeed lost a fair amount. In my view, this is not up for debate. This is not to say that every position the TMPD holds is sacred and cannot be questioned, I myself have been open about that. I just don't see how they could get something like that wrong. This is not the only murder they've ever worked. Or, put another way: where is the evidence for such an error? [Again, 2Chan / Listverse / a Wikipedia page honeycombed with dead links doesn't amount to solid evidence, in my view].

Injuries -- Now, as I understand it, the injuries were on his little finger and his wrist, both right hand. It's also very possible he cut his left hand too, I think he might have switched up throughout the attack. He also definitely beat Yasuko and Niina manually. I spent a fair amount of time discussing the injuries and there was no mention of choking or chokeholds. Also, for those thinking that 'there was not a huge amount of blood' on the scene. Based on what, exactly? Yasuko was left without a face. Her brain was emerging from her head. Sorry to be graphic but that's just how it was.

Monks -- I'm not sure where this idea has emerged from, I imagine from a user I've blocked. But I'm unsure of what it's based on? The killer may also have left via helicopter or UFO. Is there any evidence to contrary? I can tell you detectives checked all hotels and public accommodations very quickly after the bodies were discovered. Perhaps some users will choose to think this wouldn't include temples. Or the possibility of this slipped the collective mind of the TMPD. I have no issue in folks wanting to explore this monastic possibility. But for me, the sheer improbability, taken in conjunction with the national tendency to report suspicious behaviour, means this theory isn't worth losing a lot of time over. JMO.

Japan / TMPD -- I'm not sure what correlation there is between work productivity and the killer not being found. Or are we simply bringing into question the effort of the TMPD? For one thing, WS is LE-friendly. For another, I have seen first-hand how hard they have worked this case. I appreciate many of us here have our own anecdotal experiences of Japan and it will colour our opinions accordingly. Forgive me if I've misconceived the premise of OP. But if I arbitrarily pointed out that the entry requirements to become a police officer in, say, Boulder CO, are far, far lower than in Tokyo and, as such, then implied that's why JonBenet Ramsey's case remains unsolved; I'm not sure how fair that would be.

RE: the Miyazawas, the Chief of Police himself came down to the scene, declared the crime as heinous, and demanded his detectives find the culprit. I have read extensive studies on the contours of police integrity before ever making my podcast. I have dealt with the TMPD in different ways, including professionally. For anyone wondering if that action from the Chief was normal, I can save you the time. It was not. This is not just another case to them. Now, as I've said many times, I'm more than happy to brook differing views, moreover I'm grateful that you guys are here in the first place. But what I view as perhaps unfair or misguided, is the idea that the TMPD have not done as much as they can to find the killer. Yes, there are differences in customs / sociopolitical norms. Yes, there are different laws surrounding DNA. I still do not think that the premise that the Japanese do 'not get much done' can reasonably be applied in this case.

Multiple Assailants / The Killer In the Park -- RE: there being more than one culprit. The possibility of a getaway driver or a lookout, I cannot discount. I can only say that within the house, there is absolutely zero evidence of a second man. Unless he's capable of levitation and wrapped in cling film, there was only one male intruder that night. If anyone has them, though, I'm happy to view any compelling ideas to the contrary.

As for the killer in the park, skating or torturing animals. On the latter, I can only repeat that the culprit for this was apprehended and convicted. The boy talking about a family murder on 2Chan in the days before the 30th of December was found and cleared. As for being a skateboarder, we've been over this ad nauseam for the last 2+ years. In short; it's possible, though there is no actual evidence for it (the grip tape is NOT substantiated by the TMPD). The killer wore tennis / squash shoes and both sports are accessible in the very nearby vicinity; I'm yet to hear why the killer could not have been there in the first instance to practice his forehand. On skating, I will add that I interviewed multiple skateboarders, both young and old. Several used Soshigaya Park in the 1990s and were very involved in the scene. They all said the same thing; it was frowned upon back then / associated with being a 'no good punk'. I accept the premise that walking around with a skateboard may have been a good disguise. Though, so too would it have attracted disproving glances. But again, we don't have anything solid that substantiates the use of a skateboard. What we do know is that he covered his face, wore a low-brimmed hat and a scarf. My argument would be that this was his disguise. Maybe a skateboard would have been the cherry on top. Maybe it would have been gilding the lily.

CCTV -- The quality was obviously nowhere near as defined back then but it was both legible and widespread. I recall reading an ivy league university study about the use of CCTV in Tokyo as a common deterrence really gaining traction in the years before/after our case. Nothing really to add here except that we know that the TMPD are still analysing video as they cleared a man within the last 1-2 years who bought the same knife just before the murders. So, while it likely will require modern-day techniques to elevate the quality, evidently that CCTV in the local area can be of material use.

The Killer's Nationality -- As I have many times, I do not say with certainty that the killer is non-Japanese. Only that I believe there is a chance. And I'm yet to see one single compelling reason why there is NO chance. Not one. While I understand probability, and while I understand other cases in Japan have gone unsolved for a long time, I do not understand how this somehow removes that possibility.

The fact the killer has not being caught is self-evidently and obviously not proof of him being a foreigner. Where do I say that it is? If I've given that impression, then I'm at fault for communicating poorly. Clearly, the killer's ongoing freedom is evidence, in and of itself, of nothing. Still, I fail to see why it is not worthwhile searching for him abroad. In the context of the time and effort already poured into this investigation across the past 24 years, who here can offer one single solid reason why the TMPD should not merely check with international counterparts? Who here can offer one single solid reason why talking to the local authorities near the USAF base in California is not worth a visit or a phone call. Even if you think the sand clue is BS, what's the harm in ruling it out? Yet when I went there myself, LE were mystified by this case, they'd never heard of it. Why is that? I asked for the names of colleagues around in the year 2000 who were now retired and spoke with them, too. I was assured of one thing by all; if the TMPD had asked us to look into something, we sure would have. And it was an open offer. My only point is, you gain more than you lose by simply checking. Continuing the search for a theoretically Japanese killer in Japan AND a for a foreign one abroad -- both can be done.

As ever, I thank you all for contributing to this thread.
Good points.

Regards to the blood, both points can be true though. There might be considerable blood at the crime scene, and not a whole lot of the killer’s blood in it.

If your injury descriptions are accurate, then there can’t be a whole lot of killer’s blood in their. The digital arteries are terminal arteries with not a lot of significant blood flow. So for a considerable amount of bleed to occur, he would have had to nick the radial or ulnar artery, or suffer from extensive soft tissue injury plus lack of a proper epithelial cover.

I dunno if the latter type of wounds are such that can be easily patched by a non medic with sanitary pads, simply coz of biology.

I made the estimate about the killer’s blood loss simply based on the likelihood of someone being able to patch it on the fly with sanitary pads. I have a decent bit of experience dealing with hand injuries.

Good points.

Regards to the blood, both points can be true though. There might be considerable blood at the crime scene, and not a whole lot of the killer’s blood in it.

If your injury descriptions are accurate, then there can’t be a whole lot of killer’s blood in their. The digital arteries are terminal arteries with not a lot of significant blood flow. So for a considerable amount of bleed to occur, he would have had to nick the radial or ulnar artery, or suffer from extensive soft tissue injury plus lack of a proper epithelial cover.

I dunno if the latter type of wounds are such that can be easily patched by a non medic with sanitary pads, simply coz of biology.

I made the estimate about the killer’s blood loss simply based on the likelihood of someone being able to patch it on the fly with sanitary pads. I have a decent bit of experience dealing with hand injuries.
Like I said, I'm not in position to opine myself. On the medical side, I defer to you / those with a background. But I suppose this then becomes a linguistic matter as opposed to medical. How much is 'considerable' or 'significant'? When the word is translated for me in the flow of an interview in that split second, how do I know how close these words are to their nearest Japanese match? En fin, we are going to end up talking in circles.

I was told that his gloves were soaked in his own blood, that he bled all over the house. I assume it's safe to say that the TMPD are able to determine what blood emanated from the killer and what did not. If you say it's possible the killer did not bleed all that much, then fair play. They seem to think he did.

As a non Buddhist going out on a limb....

Different Asian countries have different forms of Buddhism and possibly different monastic traditions.

For Catholic monasteries, people interested in joining the monastery contact them. They are then scheduled for an interview and a "Come and See" weekend. These usually happen once or twice a year. If accepted, they are then permitted to attend a series of retreats of increasing length. Then, if accepted, they become a novice monk.

Getting to the point:

In that monastic tradition, nobody just walks in , puts on a robe, and... then lays low for as long as they need to.

But the Thais may have another format....

I am vaguely aware that Thailand and Burma have a tradition where every young male is expected to be a monk for a period of time. This could well lead to alot more monks of the temporary sort and alot more turn over. Likewise Buddha was a wandering preacher fo ra time. If temporary Thai monks follow that concept, there could be even more turn over.

This possible format could lead to a situation of:

Thai Buddhist Abbot: I am permanent and so are two dozen others. But... we have a large number of temporaries here at any given time. Some live here, others stay for a few days, others spend time here during the day, but live at home. We dont keep track of who comes and goes on a day to day basis. Anybody can put on a robe and stay for a period of time with out raising suspicion- so long as they follow the rules here and dont look out of place.

In the end, the key might be whether the Japanese monastic tradition mirrors the Catholic one, or the possible Thai one. If they mirror the Catholic ones, I doubt the killer ran into one and then hid out.
Its Myanmar now,
Like I said, I'm not in position to opine myself. On the medical side, I defer to you / those with a background. But I suppose this then becomes a linguistic matter as opposed to medical. How much is 'considerable' or 'significant'? When the word is translated for me in the flow of an interview in that split second, how do I know how close these words are to their nearest Japanese match? En fin, we are going to end up talking in circles.

I was told that his gloves were soaked in his own blood, that he bled all over the house. I assume it's safe to say that the TMPD are able to determine what blood emanated from the killer and what did not. If you say it's possible the killer did not bleed all that much, then fair play. They seem to think he did.
I didn’t say he didn’t bleed all that much conclusively. I said that if he bled considerably, he would have had significant soft tissue injuries/ lack of skin cover or would have nicked an artery, which would make it difficult for him to patch himself up to a reasonable degree with absorbent sanitary pads.

You are right with that terminology. What is considerable to a police detective might not be considerable to a surgeon.

But just think about it practically. If he has extensive injuries, it would be pretty difficult for him to patch himself up with anything in the regular household, let alone with some absorbent sanitary pads. If it isn’t extensive, than its not considerable amount of blood in the medical sense.

A significant blood loss in the medical terms would be atleast 25-30% of total blood volume so around 1-1.5 L. With what info we have so far, I would guess the killer bled close to the lower estimate.

As far as his gloves are concerned, the inside of his gloves are only gonna contain the killer’s own blood. It also doesn’t take a lot to fill up the gloves with blood. You could probably fill up one glove with 200-300 ml of blood.

You can also turn it the other way around.

Obviously the TMPD know more about the case than we do. Yet they don’t know enough to pinpoint an exact country or make a decent case for the LE of that country.

So why are they not releasing more info to the public. That would be natural to ask for more people to come forward. Maybe someone one new will come forward. Its been over 20 yrs now, the killer if he is a foreigner, has already fled and is out of their grasp.

So why the hesitancy?

With every passing year, the amount of organic witnesses they can generate is diminishing. They are not making any significant efforts with international police (as far as we are aware of), not doing anything about the sand ( from what I assume from the Faceless podcast).

Them not solving this doesn’t mean this cannot be solved in any way, shape or form without introducing the foreign angle.

They could have been biased or incompetent at the start, and now its too late, despite best efforts to correct the tide.

Most of these cases are solved not by the LE being efficient, but by the killer messing or slipping up. If our killer didn’t slip up, then he wouldn’t be caught easily, whether he is Japanese or a foreigner.

Just to clarify, I am ambivalent on the killer’s origins. I just don’t want to misconstrue the TMPD not solving this as something of an evidence that the killer is a foreigner.

I think he could be either. Statistically, the chance of him being a local is higher, but whatever information we have, doesn’t allow us to make any conclusions.

It would seem to me that TMPD’s approach had been analytical, not synthetic, but maybe, indeed, outside of the house, there were no witnesses.

I feel that they should look everywhere, but there is something amiss in this case. Either they are missing some very obvious piece because it is too obvious, so obvious that we’d all overlook it, or simply, go find a murderer staying in a 34-mln city 23 years ago without full DNA analysis.

Which brings up a point. How did they rule out the suspects? Did they rely on DNA, or just the alibi, or the fingerprints?

MOO - if they haven’t found him in 23 years, DNA is the only way. I don’t mind them including the foreigners, everyone who could have been involved, even marginally. Everyone and anyone.

In Seattle, they found a murderer who killed a woman in 1967, using DNA genealogy. 1967!

How did this assailant know the first door he stumbled upon was occupied by the weakest and most vulnerable victims in the household, and not the parent's bedroom? Was this just dumb luck?One would imagine he would have been engaged in a life and death struggle with 2 hysterical adults, and the real potential for Yasuko or Mikio to escape and run next door for help. (Huge risk to take if you ask me).

Did he have intimate knowledge of the layout of the house? A local guy who had crossed paths with the Miyazawa's, perhaps a local handyman, shop worker, ex-student of Yasuko's?

It's hard for me to imagine this was an impulsive, spur of the moment decision to blindly choose a house, break in, and just hope for the best.

It is also quite a distance from Setagaya to the nearest air force base when you think about it, and doesn't really jibe with the amount of time it would require in not only settling on a victim/s but then the work of studying the neighborhood and the family's routine.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back