Japan - Miyazawa family of 4 murdered, Setagaya, Tokyo, 30 Dec 2000 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Just had a look at the maps again and there is Seijo University a 20 minute walk from the Miyazawa house, there is also a baseball ground owned by Komazawa University right behind the children’s park…

I’m not sure about Japan, but I was thinking perhaps a 24 hour library on campus or something? I’m not sure if that’s regular to have in Japan but when I was a uni student I remember being in my campuses one until 3,4am sometimes!
Although during this time it was the winter holidays in Japan so it’s likely all the students had left and gone home for the new year.

As for yearbooks, universities definitely have photographs of their sports teams and different clubs out there for sure… but unsure about actual yearbooks.

I wonder if the University would have something similar to yearbooks.

I’ve referenced these yearbooks twice, as has a fellow poster. Several students wear bucket hats similar to the one the killer had. The school has a skate park and tennis courts. (The park adjacent to the Miyazawa family had them and I wonder if this is the link to them.) Additionally, a couple students openly express rage issues. None of this proves any of them to be a killer. But, collectively it backs up facts about the killer.

Also the TMPD website recently specifically requests the public look through yearbooks from 1998-2000. When I previously looked at the TMPD website regarding the case, I don’t recall them requesting the public look through yearbooks, especially specifically requesting those years. A very narrow range, which I find interesting. It strongly suggests they suspect the killer was young, if they’re focusing on those years.

Last edited:
It is a little ambiguous in English, but in Japanese on the section of the TMPD website that is requesting people to look through their snapshots, home videos, and yearbook albums, it states that the years of 1998-2000 are because that’s when the Slazenger shoes began to be sold and isn’t specifically related to the killer’s age.

靴が売られ始めた平成10年から平成12年までのスナップ写真、ホームビデオ、卒業アルバム等を一度見てください。

I suspect the TMPD also thinks the killer is more likely on the younger end of the estimates given of his age (hence yearbooks) but for this example it is due to the years of when the shoes were sold up until the murder.

Just had a look at the maps again and there is Seijo University a 20 minute walk from the Miyazawa house, there is also a baseball ground owned by Komazawa University right behind the children’s park…

I’m not sure about Japan, but I was thinking perhaps a 24 hour library on campus or something? I’m not sure if that’s regular to have in Japan but when I was a uni student I remember being in my campuses one until 3,4am sometimes!
Although during this time it was the winter holidays in Japan so it’s likely all the students had left and gone home for the new year.

As for yearbooks, universities definitely have photographs of their sports teams and different clubs out there for sure… but unsure about actual yearbooks.

Would any of the Uni libraries have windows overlooking Miyazawas house?

If the TMPD has recently requested the Japanese public to look at their previous yearbooks, I think it's reasonable to assume that the TMPD is envisioning a Japanese prep.
I believe that page was simply updated in 2018 or 2019, it wasn’t a recent ‘request’ that suddenly emerged. And it’s in English as well as Japanese, isn’t it? At any rate, while it maybe reasonable to conclude they envision a Japanese killer, having spoken personally to them many times, I can assure you that they have no idea where the killer is from. As I’ve said time and again, there is a reticence -seemingly- to explore the notion of a foreign killer. (Curious, given the occasional comfort in attributing crime to foreigners that I’ve seen there). We can all decide what is behind that.

TMPD asserts the shoes were sold in Korea. The US military has several bases there. I suspect the killer purchased them during a time his family was stationed there.

What happens if a man comes to a Japanese Buddhist temple and explains that he’d like to spend a few days, fasting, meditating and keeping silence? I’d expect them just to show him a quiet place and let him be. In fact, most monasteries would respond the same way. They’d probably just leave some water for him and that’s it. In this cases, natural human curiosity gives way to respect for a person that has made a vow, or is guided by some higher idea, whatever way you put it.

Now, if a professional moonlights as a priest, he comes home and reads newspapers. But for monks who live in the temple, the latest news might come with a 1-2 days of delay, and in the meantime, he’d be gone.

I don’t think that it is the highest possibility, but it may not be totally unlikely. I don’t think we have to compare different paths of Buddhism, because tbh, in a Christian monastery, the reaction would be exactly the same. There is no privacy more respected than between a man and his God.

I tend to think the killer did not simply go to the temple and ask to be let in. If access was that easy, thousands of tourists would make pilgrimages to temples to save on accommodation. There is a process in place for being accepted to stay on temple grounds.

To be accepted in a Buddhist temple, one must first visit the temple, participate in activities, and learn about the community. It is necessary to discuss your interest with the monks or the temple's abbot to understand their expectations and requirements. Generally, you need to be 18+ and in good health to handle the demands of monastic life. You must provide necessary legal documents including a visa, if required. Most traditions have a probation period where you live in the temple and follow the monastic routine without taking full ordination vows. This period can range from a few months to a few years. If you decide to pursue full ordination, you will take monastic vows in a formal ceremony, committing to the monastic lifestyle. Even after full ordination, monks continue their training and education in Buddhist teachings and practices. Temples often provide basic necessities such as food, lodging, and clothing. Some may expect you to contribute financially or through work during your stay.

Diet (important!). A Buddhist diet in Japan is generally quite simple. The specifics can vary depending on the sect and the individual's level of adherence to monastic rules. Traditional Buddhist vegetarian cuisine (shojin ryori) excludes meat, fish and pungent vegetables like garlic, onion, and leeks, which are believed to hinder meditation. The emphasis is on seasonal and local vegetables, tofu, legumes, seaweed and grains. Common ingredients include daikon radish, carrots, burdock root, shiitake mushrooms, tofu, miso, plus vinegared dishes or pickled vegetables. In Zen monasteries, meals are conducted with a formal and ritualised style called oryoki, which involves using a specific set of bowls and utensils and following a precise sequence of serving and eating. While monastics might strictly adhere to shojin ryori, laypeople often skip the principles to fit their lifestyle and may eat some fish or meat. But the general trend is to consume plant-based foods. Drinks: water, barley tea, green tea and other non-caffeinated beverages.
Today, I am thinking that skateboarding later than the most at the Setagaya park is a possibility. He had some board tape in his bag and he wasn’t remembered by other boarders, meaning, he was not the part of their group. I looked up different posts about evening skating - many people find it calming; I don’t quite buy it but I think that 1) perhaps, our perpetrator is nocturnal; 2) he is not the best skateboarder, so training alone would be easier; 3) many mentioned that in Tokyo, the police would pick nighttime skateboarders unless they skate in the park; 4) the park, as many posted here, was well-lit. 5) if indeed there were maimed animals found in the park and no one saw the perpetrator, perhaps he did it in the evening.

@Sor Juana, if you are interested in the perp profile, I wonder if he has nocturnal circadian rhythm. That would allow him to stay undetected, especially if he now works at night. He could be a garbage man, a stacker, have a shift work in a port or at any assembly line. He has to avoid being fingerprinted but for some jobs, it is easy, He can work at a graveyard. I don’t know if he ever graduated, perhaps not, but staying with parents and working at night is a perfect way to be under any radar. People know him, maybe know he’s odd, but he leaves for work every night, so no one thinks of him twice. There are nocturnal cities (Barcelona), but Tokyo, probably, is merely “evening enough”? That’s actually an easy way. He can become a pest exterminator, too.
The hypothesis that the killer could have been someone on probation or a layperson with access to Buddhist grounds is supported by several factors. The killer's calmness and deliberation while in the house - could be associated with someone trained in meditation and mindfulness. The food consumed did not conflict with a vegetarian diet, though this is not conclusive. Also, the killer's fitness suggests he was fit, similar to monks or monk candidates. However, there are also factors against this hypothesis, such as the violence involved, which conflicts with ahimsa, and the lack of specific evidence like religious artifacts left behind. The psychological profile of the killer is also inconsistent with that of a common monk. This hypothesis still holds some merit as certain pieces of evidence fit within this plot. Also, many temples have zelkova trees on their grounds. I will write about the trees separately. The hypothesis that the murderer could be someone with Buddhist training who was disillusioned and turned to crime due to financial desperation is also speculative. However, temples can be good places to lay low, so it’s not impossible. Another reason I don’t dismiss the monk theory is that excessive meditation can trigger psychotic episodes. While most people benefit from meditations, it is contraindicated for some. The killer was at an age where certain conditions are statistically likely to onset.

Monks aside, the more likely profile imho would be a male, 20-30 years old, a local resident for at least a few years, familiar with the area, psychologically disturbed, financially strained, calm and calculative, able to remain unnoticed, socially limited, attentive to details yet careless, and aware of basic forensic practices. This male could be a local resident or a local worker such as a delivery person or maintenance worker with a history of violence but not in the database. He could be known to local health services but not considered a risk. Alternatively, the killer could be an immigrant without stable employment, or low paid (fish cutter), and without a permanent address, making him hard to trace. Migrants often feel isolated and face financial challenges. Since there is no specific evidence pinpointing socio-demographic details, there could be a number of profiles. I agree with you that being nocturnal would fit his profile. This trait often describes a loner who wanders the streets, possibly delivering junk mail, watching other people's lives, and gradually growing angrier. If he was socially active, he wouldn't be able to accumulate so much anger. Anger and social isolation often go hand in hand.
JMO

The page with the information on the shoes that includes the request about yearbooks etc, was last updated in August 2018 so it has been out there for roughly 6 years. Though it doesn’t state what information exactly was updated on that date.
TMPD asserts the shoes were sold in Korea. The US military has several bases there. I suspect the killer purchased them during a time his family was stationed there.
The page does indeed say the shoes were made and sold in South Korea, and are in a size that was not sold in Japan.
It also states that this particular type of shoe sold by Slazenger is a tennis shoe or basketball shoe depending on how many shoelace holes were either side.
It is also in multiple languages including English and Korean.

The page with the information on the shoes that includes the request about yearbooks etc, was last updated in August 2018 so it has been out there for roughly 6 years. Though it doesn’t state what information exactly was updated on that date.

The page does indeed say the shoes were made and sold in South Korea, and are in a size that was not sold in Japan.
It also states that this particular type of shoe sold by Slazenger is a tennis shoe or basketball shoe depending on how many shoelace holes were either side.
It is also in multiple languages including English and Korean.
Good point here. And just to add, Slazenger themselves could not confirm if those shoes were *only* sold in Korea. Nor could the TMPD, only that they were available in Korea / likely manufactured there.

Given Slazenger is a British company (acquired by BTR plc in the 80s, then Sports Direct post-murders), where racquet sports are obviously popular, it would seem curious to make a shoe model exclusively available for the Korean market. The UK's population comfortably outstripped that of South Korea's 24 years ago and it also enjoyed access to the common market in the EU. Makes more sense to sell a shoe wherever consumers partake in tennis / squash etc. Which is to say, pretty much everywhere.

That's just my opinion, of course. But I raise this because there are some people online who have concluded the killer's nationality to be Korean given the shoes are supposedly from there. But as I say, we don't know where the shoes are from. And to conclude the killer could therefore be Korean (or connected to Korea) is no different to assuming the killer to be French given his aftershave.

As a non Buddhist going out on a limb....

Different Asian countries have different forms of Buddhism and possibly different monastic traditions.

For Catholic monasteries, people interested in joining the monastery contact them. They are then scheduled for an interview and a "Come and See" weekend. These usually happen once or twice a year. If accepted, they are then permitted to attend a series of retreats of increasing length. Then, if accepted, they become a novice monk.

Getting to the point: In that monastic tradition, nobody just walks in , puts on a robe, and... then lays low for as long as they need to.

But the Thais may have another format....

Thailand and Burma have a tradition where every young male is expected to be a monk for a period of time. This could well lead to alot more monks of the temporary sort and alot more turn over. Thai temp monks also beg for a portion of the day. So, people coming and going. Likewise, if they follow the Buddha's wandering preacher concept, there could be even more turn over.

In the end, the key might be whether the Japanese monastic tradition mirrors the Catholic one, or the possible Thai one. If they mirror the Catholic one, I doubt the killer ran into one and then hid out. If the Japanese concept is Thai, then somebody walking in wearing a robe, staying for several weeks, then drifting off might be possible.
Cryptic, I broadly agree with all points. Thai temples, like Zen or Shinto ones, also have probation periods and there is variance in practice even within the same tradition. However, two points are crucial. First, money can help open doors, and there is always a human factor or exceptions. I did not suggest that the killer just escaped there out of the blue. It would only work for him if he was already there, either living or regularly visiting. In other words, he would need to have access or know someone there very well. Monks wake up around 4 am and start their routine, meditating for many hours a day. This creates an ideal environment to stay unnoticed for a while.

Catholic and Japanese monastic concepts differ a lot. Both traditions value discipline, contemplation and a communal lifestyle. However Catholic monasticism is more structured and hierarchical, focusing on collective worship and adherence to church doctrines. Japanese monasticism, particularly Zen, prioritises personal enlightenment and meditation, with a somewhat more fluid and individualistic approach.

Thank you @Incoherent and @FacelessPodcast for the added clarification on the yearbooks.

The shoes are certainly a massive conundrum as well.

1) Firstly we have to assume that the shoe size is accurate, one that is gleaned off of a muddy print outside and possibly one or two prints on the inside. I have no idea about the accuracy of this stuff.

2) If the shoe size is indeed accurate, and it has been confirmed that it is not officially sold by the manufacturer in Japan, then the killer while having bought most of his stuff locally ( presumption) for some reason chose to pair it with his foreign shoes.

3) I dunno if that shoe size is common in Japan, I don’t know if Japanese local sneaker brands cover that size. I would think the latter to be possible.

So if the latter is indeed right, then the killer could have chosen to buy a new pair of local sneakers in that size, but actively chose not to and decided to wear his own stuff instead, despite the rest of his clothing being very new or newish.

4) Now if the sizing is infact incorrect, then most of the above problems simply vanish.

Has the angle of Zainichi Koreans, individuals who are ethnically Korean but have been settled in Japan for decades, and have little connection to the modern-day Korean states, been explored already?

I ask because this would seem to be one way to reconcile the evidence of possible Korean origins with other evidence pointing to the killer having resided in Japan for some time.

It's also worth noting that for those Zainichi Koreans who affiliated themselves with the DPRK (North Korea), it was fairly easy in the early 2000s to escape to the latter undetected by Japan, from what I recall reading.

MOO.

Thank you @Incoherent and @FacelessPodcast for the added clarification on the yearbooks.

The shoes are certainly a massive conundrum as well.

1) Firstly we have to assume that the shoe size is accurate, one that is gleaned off of a muddy print outside and possibly one or two prints on the inside. I have no idea about the accuracy of this stuff.

2) If the shoe size is indeed accurate, and it has been confirmed that it is not officially sold by the manufacturer in Japan, then the killer while having bought most of his stuff locally ( presumption) for some reason chose to pair it with his foreign shoes.

3) I dunno if that shoe size is common in Japan, I don’t know if Japanese local sneaker brands cover that size. I would think the latter to be possible.

So if the latter is indeed right, then the killer could have chosen to buy a new pair of local sneakers in that size, but actively chose not to and decided to wear his own stuff instead, despite the rest of his clothing being very new or newish.

4) Now if the sizing is infact incorrect, then most of the above problems simply vanish.
To be clear; we do NOT know the exact shoe size. The detectives argued on day 1 about the size. From memory, they were between 27cm and 27.5cm. The former was readily available in Japan. The latter was not. They’re going off his tread-marks in blood so the debate is understandable. I can tell you that the attitude I perceived from TMPD re: Korea was “we’re not certain about this but we’ll try.” (That’s my own personal reading, that was never explicitly said to be clear). Anyway, you can see the problem re: Korean shoe = Korean killer.

Has the angle of Zainichi Koreans, individuals who are ethnically Korean but have been settled in Japan for decades, and have little connection to the modern-day Korean states, been explored already?

I ask because this would seem to be one way to reconcile the evidence of possible Korean origins with other evidence pointing to the killer having resided in Japan for some time.

It's also worth noting that for those Zainichi Koreans who affiliated themselves with the DPRK (North Korea), it was fairly easy in the early 2000s to escape to the latter undetected by Japan, from what I recall reading.

MOO.
Totally possible, yes. Though has I maintain, there is nothing that *solidly* ties the killer to Korea here.

Dr. M’s infamous ‘1 in 4’ chance the killer is Korean has been widely-questioned (including by world-leading experts) and I think there is a fair argument for this. Though he is the only person who has analysed the killer’s DNA, so I defer to him. And, as mentioned above, I find the shoe theory shaky, to say the least. Also, it would require such a Zainichi to never have been to South Korea since the introduction of their fingerprinting system for all visitors (along with nationals and permanent residents).

As for North Korean, I think the likelihood is pretty low. Not least of all because of the sand etc.

But in short, yes—your idea is 100% possible.

To be clear; we do NOT know the exact shoe size. The detectives argued on day 1 about the size. From memory, they were between 27cm and 27.5cm. The former was readily available in Japan. The latter was not. They’re going off his tread-marks in blood so the debate is understandable. I can tell you that the attitude I perceived from TMPD re: Korea was “we’re not certain about this but we’ll try.” (That’s my own personal reading, that was never explicitly said to be clear). Anyway, you can see the problem re: Korean shoe = Korean killer.
Tbf even it was the Korean shoe size, it doesn’t make the killer Korean or even of Korean ethnicity.

It would just be interesting that for some weird inexplicable reason, he paired his mostly locally sourced outfit with a foreign shoe, instead of getting the same shoe size from a local Japanese brand in those M/X stores.

If the shoe is the Japanese size then that problem is fixed. I wish the sizing could have been clarified in a more accurate manner with reproduction or something.

I don’t think its very likely but ofcourse anything is possible.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back